ImageImageImage

If you had a do-over......

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

DaKid
Senior
And1: 186

Re: If you had a do-over...... 

Post#101 » by DaKid » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Love the moves Thibs made but we should have kept Rubio. Just sayin'.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#102 » by walk with me » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:12 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
walk with me wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
You were the one that started this kind of stupid argument when Teague was playing alright and Jrue started the season not so well.

I didn't want Jrue / Teague / Hill to begin.
My favorite was Lowry.

With no Lowry i think we could have done better in other ways.

lets not pretend for a second that if thibs gave holiday 5 year 125m contract that you wouldn’t be crying the blue when things don’t look so well. Just like you cry the blues every other time something doesn’t go well.

The team is in 4th place comfortably. Something the franchise hasn’t achieved in over a decade. Stop crying.

I'm not crying at all. I didn't wanted Jrue Holiday.

I'm just pointing out that you were the one that was claiming how much of a great sign was Teague over Jrue or Hill.

You still make the same posts with the same questions when Teague has a good game. You just dropped the Jrue Holiday name.

Stop with the "franchise hasn’t achieved this or that in over a decade" just stop it. You are a Timberwolves fan since 1 year ago, "you adopted this team as your own-your words" which is fine btw, welcome. But don't talk with faithful timberwolves fans that support this team since ever about crying or complaining.

That is just disrespectful.

It doesn’t matter if I became a fan yesterday or 20 years ago because our opinions don’t change the truth. The TRUTH AND FACT is thibs has placed this team in a position the franchise hasn’t seen in over a decade. So unless you don’t like winning basketball games and want to continue to test your luck with the lotto, you and others should be happy with the outcome.

What I said remains true. You people put thibs in an impossible position.

Stay the path & lose = thibs sucks
Make trades to get into 4th place = thibs sucks
Teague has been solid = Ricky, hill, Lowry, holiday are better
Pay Teague 19m for 3 = Thibs strapped the team
down
Pay holiday/Lowry 20-25m for 5 years = good idea
Thibs gets taj = taj sucks and Patterson would be better
Dunn plays good = thibs blew it

Enough already....a lot of you have no idea what winning looks like and just enjoy complaining. This team is far from perfect but 4th in a loaded west after 13 years of not even sniffing the playoffs is excellent.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#103 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:34 pm

So much crap ^
99% of that has nothing to do of what i just said.

The TRUTH AND FACT is that you asked for several times when Jrue started the season kind of slow if the people who wanted Jrue or Hill (not me, although i woulnd't mind to have one of this two over Teague) over Teague were happy...

This last month you just dropped the Jrue name.
I wonder if you are going to do the same question if Hill starts to play really well.

"a lot of you have no idea what winning looks like"

What is that even supposed to mean ?
Of course we don't, most of us don't jump from being a fan of one team to "adopt" another team.

WTF.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#104 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Btw, i asked several times for Thibs to make some moves. I even started 2/3 threads asking for Jimmy before we traded for him. So much discussions i had because of Lavine vs Butler.

I also wanted Dunn in the draft.
And i didn't complain when we traded Dunn at all. I was glad tbh.

When we traded for Jimmy the first thing i said was that Rubio was probably on the move because i didn't think they were a good fit together.

Also, BEFORE we signed Teague i said that JT was the dead last of the point guards available in free agency i wanted.

So, I have the right to complain about whatever i want.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,508

Post#105 » by AirP. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 pm

mercgold3 wrote:Btw, i asked several times for Thibs to make some moves. I even started 2/3 threads asking for Jimmy before we traded for him. So much discussions i had because of Lavine vs Butler.

When we traded for Jimmy the first thing i said was that Rubio was probably on the move because i didn't think they were a good fit together.
Thibs was trying to trade Rubio for nearly a year by the time he actually got traded. There was discussions of Rubio for Rose for around the trade deadline but it didn't happen because Thibs wanted a 1st round pick and New York didn't want to give their's up, it really had nothing to do with the player that he was getting(although the press acted like it was since it was a better story).

mercgold3 wrote:Also, BEFORE we signed Teague i said that JT was the dead last of the point guards available in free agency i wanted.

Sure, his PER is at 15.2 which is barely over average and his defense is average at best. It was an overpayment but there really wasn't all that much to go after in the starting PG market last year that made sense, maybe Collison because of his price but he is a lesser PG then Teague but also a better value. Maybe had Tyus shown more last year Thibs could have went with a lesser PG.

Minnesota has a small window where they can pay to get players on the roster, in a couple of seasons that's not possible with 2 if not 3 max contracts on the roster. The first round pick was huge for adding cheap talent to the roster in the future.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#106 » by Narf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:42 am

AirP. wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:Btw, i asked several times for Thibs to make some moves. I even started 2/3 threads asking for Jimmy before we traded for him. So much discussions i had because of Lavine vs Butler.

Thibs was trying to trade Rubio for nearly a year by the time he actually got traded. There was discussions of Rubio for Rose for around the trade deadline but it didn't happen because Thibs wanted a 1st round pick and New York didn't want to give their's up, it really had nothing to do with the player that he was getting(although the press acted like it was since it was a better story).

mercgold3 wrote:Also, BEFORE we signed Teague i said that JT was the dead last of the point guards available in free agency i wanted.

Sure, his PER is at 15.2 which is barely over average and his defense is average at best. It was an overpayment but there really wasn't all that much to go after in the starting PG market last year that made sense, maybe Collison because of his price but he is a lesser PG then Teague but also a better value. Maybe had Tyus shown more last year Thibs could have went with a lesser PG.

Minnesota has a small window where they can pay to get players on the roster, in a couple of seasons that's not possible with 2 if not 3 max contracts on the roster. The first round pick was huge for adding cheap talent to the roster in the future.

That was Rubio for Rose and the Knicks pick. Not a straight up trade.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#107 » by AirP. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 am

Narf wrote:
AirP. wrote:

That was Rubio for Rose and the Knicks pick. Not a straight up trade.

Right, hence the reason I mentioned it.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#108 » by King Malta » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:16 am

AirP. wrote:

For his character flaws alone I'm fine with going nowhere near a Collison. Personally, I was a bit scared about committing so much to Lowry given his age and reduced production in the playoffs. Hill was my preferred pick but the way he's behaved at Sacramento so far is a massive red flag to me.

A PG in the mold of a Pat Bev would be perfect for us.
Narf
Head Coach

Post#109 » by Narf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:13 am

AirP. wrote:Right, hence the reason I mentioned it.

Sorry, I said that wrong.

That was a trade of Rubio for a lotto pick and salary filler. Not for Rose, he's the expiring salary filler.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#110 » by minimus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 am

The idea of trading for Irving does not allow me to sleep. Trade Wiggins and Dieng for Irving, sign KCP as third plus defender.

KAT-Gibson-Butler-KCP-Irving

Trade Aldrich and pick for CJ Miles, sign Udoh as shotblocker, Crawford as instant scorer.

He bench would be Udoh-Bjelica-Miles-Crawford-Jones
AirP.
RealGM

Post#111 » by AirP. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:13 pm

minimus wrote:The idea of trading for Irving does not allow me to sleep. Trade Wiggins and Dieng for Irving, sign KCP as third plus defender.

Trade Aldrich and pick for CJ Miles, sign Udoh as shotblocker, Crawford as instant scorer.

If Wiggins and Dieng were traded for Irving, more then likely Bradley stays in Boston and Detroit doesn't pull it's qualifying offer to KCP and matches whatever is offered to him. KCP wasn't going to happen.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#112 » by minimus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:16 pm

AirP. wrote:
minimus wrote:The idea of trading for Irving does not allow me to sleep. Trade Wiggins and Dieng for Irving, sign KCP as third plus defender.

If Wiggins and Dieng were traded for Irving, more then likely Bradley stays in Boston and Detroit doesn't pull it's qualifying offer to KCP and matches whatever is offered to him. KCP wasn't going to happen.

I think we could find a plus defender at SG for that money.

Imagine Jonathon Simmons from SAS for 8 mil per year.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#113 » by AirP. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:28 pm

minimus wrote:I think we could find a plus defender at SG for that money.

Imagine Jonathon Simmons from SAS for 8 mil per year.

Sure, I do wonder how close Minnesota was to getting T.Allen for the minimum though. All Minnesota needs is an average defensive wing who could hit a wide open jumper. There's enough offense on the roster to not to need from that particular rotation player.

It's frustrating now, but if this team ends up with a solid wing on the bench without giving up a major asset(even through a buyout), I'm fine with the offseason.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#114 » by vagelis » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:24 am

This summer happened a lot of changes in this team and that affected the present and the future of the team.
The present has been affected positive because veterans have come and the team wins now but I don't know about the future.
As I see the team I think that the current roster is good but there is a sky and a limit of how far we can go. I think that for the next years the second round of the playoffs is the optimistic sky of this team. This is my personal opinion and maybe they can prove me wrong.
It seems that the players of the current roster have not good chemistry yet and I don't know if they will. Personally I cannot watch this new team, I do not like what I see.

The very bad thing that happened in this team the previous year was Zach Lavine's injury. If that had never happened it would be a no-brainer to continue with no big changes and have a team full of talent for the next decade.
Dunn-Lavine-Wiggins-Markkanen-Towns could have been a dynasty in my opinion and a very fun to watch team.
The Lavine injury caused the break of this team and some decisions that were tough and maybe not good.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#115 » by Grits n Gravy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:31 am

Never should have made the Butler deal imo....

We better start playing better soon because you know he isn't sticking around if he figures out what he might have thought was gold was merely fool's gold.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#116 » by PharmD » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:50 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:Never should have made the Butler deal imo....

We better start playing better soon because you know he isn't sticking around if he figures out what he might have thought was gold was merely fool's gold.

I guess i don't at all see why he'd resign as of today. He'd make less money signing with us too (taxes).
Narf
Head Coach

Post#117 » by Narf » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:58 pm

PharmD wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote:Never should have made the Butler deal imo....

I guess i don't at all see why he'd resign as of today. He'd make less money signing with us too (taxes).

Taxes is bull. Texas collects taxes too, and he only pays Minnesota taxes on half his income while he pays 100% of Texas's other taxes while paying away taxes on 1/2 his income if he signs there.

It's a very small difference total, but Texas really does collect a lot of taxes/fees.
JoJo21
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#118 » by JoJo21 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 pm

How do you like Thibs so far?
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#119 » by packforfreedom » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm

walk with me