ImageImageImage

Apparently we are showing interest in Deandre Jordan

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,404

Re: Apparently we are showing interest in Deandre Jordan 

Post#61 » by shrink » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:25 pm

I took a closer look at this situation, and I thought I'd pass along a few interesting things I picked up.

1. Jordan has spent the last two years without an agent, but is in the process of hiring one. This is probably a good idea for Jordan at this point, because he could use a professional to negotiate and advocate for him. However, it also might indicate he thinks he will not accept his player option - otherwise, why not wait until next year to pay the agent?

2. Jordan has said that he feels he's a max player, and for him, the max starts at over $30 mil. However, I think most players at his level have to say it, but whether he believes it does not necessarily mean some team out there will pay it.

3. There are a limited number of teams out there that will have the cap space to offer him a max deal, and most of those, like CHI, BRK, maybe ATL, are rebuilding, and would be interested in someone younger. You know DAL isn't paying him, after the way he deserted the Mavs to go back to LAC, after he agreed to a deal two years ago! The most likely team in my mind are the Lakers, but they have bigger targets (LeBron and Paul George), so there has to be uncertainty for Jordan if he reaches free agency. If he feels LAC won't pay him, he wants to select a team who can pay him in the future through his Bird rights.

4. LAC Is not getting the big trade offers they are publicly asking for, and I doubt they privately expect a big offer. There are options to make a trade work though, to solidify the future years.

5. I will repeat, I think MIN is unlikely to be interested, because of the possibility of four giant deals in 2019 (Jordan, KAT, Wiggins, Jimmy). Our price for a 50 game rental would be lower.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#62 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:01 pm

Going to get a good look at him tonight. Pretty sure he has a career high on Towns.

Not sure LAC will get what they want, but I would hate for them to take a lowball offer that we could have matched.
A 50 game rental is fine, because we just need to get to the big show. Deal with his agent in the off season.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#63 » by Vindicater » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Would be nice to have so we could push KAT to PF.

However I would not be trading for him unless we underpay.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,404

Post#64 » by shrink » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 pm

For what it's worth, Doogie said that LAC is interested in Dieng, but financially all we'd be looking at was a rental.

Again, I doubt we want to turn KAT into a PF, and reduce his big offensive advantage.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#65 » by mplsfonz23 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm

shrink wrote:For what it's worth, Doogie said that LAC is interested in Dieng, but financially all we'd be looking at was a rental.

Again, I doubt we want to turn KAT into a PF, and reduce his big offensive advantage.

I think that is exactly what we want. He already looks like he playing a stretch 4 now, so that would allow him to not get beat up in the post. He is not a rim protector, so DJ would help cover that weakness.
jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#66 » by jmoy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:00 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
shrink wrote:For what it's worth, Doogie said that LAC is interested in Dieng, but financially all we'd be looking at was a rental.

I think that is exactly what we want. He already looks like he playing a stretch 4 now, so that would allow him to not get beat up in the post. He is not a rim protector, so DJ would help cover that weakness.

Many teams have been changing their coverage and Towns gets covered by the PF and Gibson the C anyway.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#67 » by Vindicater » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:44 pm

I don't think of it as turning Towns into a PF rather I think of putting him next to a real centre.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves