ImageImageImage

KG still doesn't like Glen, wants ownership stake in Wolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

KG still doesn't like Glen, wants ownership stake in Wolves 

Post#1 » by big3_8_19_21 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:46 am

https://clutchpoints.com/timberwolves-news-kevin-garnett-would-love-to-be-part-of-team-that-buys-owner-glen-taylor-out/

“I don’t want to be partners with Glen [Taylor], and I wouldn’t want to be partners with Glen in Minnesota,” Garnett said. “I would love to be part of a group that buys him out and kind of removes him and go forward.”

----------------------------------

If only Garnett could be here to whip KAT's defense into shape...
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Re: KG still doesn't like Glen, wants ownership stake in Wolves 

Post#2 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:52 am

Whats his beef with Taylor anyway

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#3 » by PharmD » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:54 am

Fired Sam?
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,834

Post#4 » by AirP. » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:23 am

Garnett envisioned having a large role in the decision-making process, particularly when it came to the move to fire GM Milt Newton and coach Sam Mitchell -- Garnett's close friend -- after last season.

Garnett also told the AP that he was upset with the way the team handled a memorial service for Saunders, the coach who drafted Garnett as a skinny teenager out of Farragut Career Academy High School in Chicago in 1995.

One glaring absence was Garnett, who said he "couldn't put a lifetime of friendship into three minutes."

"How do you put a time limit on something like that?" Garnett said. "And then, too, I thought he wasn't celebrated the proper way. You have high school banners, you have (expletive) hockey banners (hanging in the rafters). You couldn't put a Flip banner in Target Center, some place that we helped build? ... We established that market. I helped grow that with him. You can't put him in the (rafters)?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19193964/kevin-garnett-see-eye-eye-minnesota-timberwolves-ownership
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#5 » by King Malta » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:36 am

I don't think he ever really forgave Glen for his comments the first time he left either.

If another owner had of overseen the above issues quoted by AirP he might've given some leniency, but Glen wasn't going to get any.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,628

Post#6 » by shrink » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:39 am

Garnett will always be my favorite player of all time, with his work ethic on and off the court, but he needs to get over himself. He was a famtastic player, but that doesn't make you management material, and MIN got stuck a bit when he convinced Taylor to give contracts to his boys, particularly Troy Hudson. He has overly-romantacized the game so that he neglects that it is a business as well.

Finally, who is he to tell Taylor how he should remember Flip? He's not family, and Flip and Taylor had a tremendous relationship themselves. Flip talked with Taylor a couple times a week during the years he was off the Wolves, and it was saunders that talked Taylor into not selling the team, and reinvesting in it. Flip got Taylor reenergized into basketball.

My heart wants to side with KG because he was a great player. However, his stabs at frustrations sound like a teenage girl who's stepdad grounded her. Taylor called KG out once, he's still bitter, and now he sees everything in a badlight, and looks for things to be mad at Taylor for. Even if he feels this way, it's childish and unprofessional for a future minority owner to say it to the media.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#7 » by PharmD » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06 am

KG also wanted the increase in franchise value during the years he played here to be part of his ownership bid.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#8 » by Worm Guts » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:10 am

I think Flip promised KG he would have a say in how things were run, and Taylor was fine with that as long as Flip was the final say.
Without Flip, Taylor didn’t feel comfortable giving KG the most important voice in the room.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#9 » by Worm Guts » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:17 am

and MIN got stuck a bit when he convinced Taylor to give contracts to his boys, particularly Troy Hudson

I don’t think those criticisms are particularly fair. We were kind of in a tight spot at that point, I don’t think KG wanted to let good players walk just because Glen wouldn’t pay them, it wasn’t just that he wanted his friend to get paid.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#10 » by minimus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 am

This thread makes me sad...
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#11 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:12 am

minimus wrote:This thread makes me sad...

Yeah, too much drama

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#12 » by mplsfonz23 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:24 pm

He had no problem taking Glen's money. Most think his contract caused the lockout and allowed cap hit. (Certainly messed up Mombury's hopes of being the highest paid player on the team.) Get over yourself KG, Glen's not sweating you or anyone else who wants to buy the Wolves. Glen might want all 200 million plus he gave you.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#13 » by Note30 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:33 pm

He’s got a point tho, why the he’ll isnt Flip on tge rafters? When does KG go up? It’s bull.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
shrink
RealGM

Post#14 » by shrink » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:37 pm

KG isn't in the rafters because he has so far refused the honor. The Wolves say it's coming, whenever Garnett wants - just like his decision whether to re-sign last year. They said it's his choice, and they will give him as much time as he wants, out of respect.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#15 » by LordBaldric » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 pm

PharmD wrote:KG also wanted the increase in franchise value during the years he played here to be part of his ownership bid.

Which would be an absurd demand if true, not to mention it would probably count as salary cap circumvention.
shrink
RealGM

Post#16 » by shrink » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:58 pm

LordBaldric wrote:
PharmD wrote:KG also wanted the increase in franchise value during the years he played here to be part of his ownership bid.

Which would be an absurd demand if true, not to mention it would probably count as salary cap circumvention.

Wow! That never dawned on me! Great insight!
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#17 » by WhateverBro » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:28 am

mplsfonz23 wrote:He had no problem taking Glen's money. Most think his contract caused the lockout and allowed cap hit. (Certainly messed up Mombury's hopes of being the highest paid player on the team.) Get over yourself KG, Glen's not sweating you or anyone else who wants to buy the Wolves. Glen might want all 200 million plus he gave you.

Taylor didnt "give" KG money, thats absurd. Garnett worked for his money and worked harder than anyone in the history of the NBA. KG made Taylor much more than he recieved from him so lets not act as if Taylor was doing charity work.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#18 » by cpfsf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:31 am

minimus wrote:This thread makes me sad...

I don't really want to take a side. Its just not a good situation.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#19 » by packforfreedom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:03 pm

we just can't have nice things.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#20 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 pm

WhateverBro wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:He had no problem taking Glen's money. Most think his contract caused the lockout and allowed cap hit. (Certainly messed up Mombury's hopes of being the highest paid player on the team.) Get over yourself KG, Glen's not sweating you or anyone else who wants to buy the Wolves. Glen might want all 200 million plus he gave you.

Taylor didnt "give" KG money, thats absurd. Garnett worked for his money and worked harder than anyone in the history of the NBA. KG made Taylor much more than he recieved from him so lets not act as if Taylor was doing charity work.

Okay, that's fair. But I still don't think KG has a right to anything. It's GT's team, and KG just looks like he is still whining about Glen. Think Taylor gives a sh*t what KG wants?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves