for
Bazemore + 2018 ATL 1st
(Assuming we can draft Bagley)

Trade:
Dieng
for
Hield + Shumpert

Resign Belly.

This would be a much better shooting team and seems like it would mesh better imo.

Teague/Tyus
Bazemore/Hield/Shump
Jimmy/Belly
Taj/Bagley/Belly
KAT/Patton

Plus, we have even more young prospects. A core of Hield/Butler/Bagley/KAT.

I'm sure there is at least one thing here that doesn't line up with trades/salaries/contracts and stuff but this is just my 1:00am thoughts haha.
Utah's #1 Wolves fan
Twitter - @alexsisky25
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Re: Trade Talk: Deadline buyout options 

Post#982 » by shrink » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:46 pm

The Process suggested this entertaining idea:

Kemba + Batum for Wiggins+ Teague

For the record, Batum has three years left after this summer, $24, $25.6, $27.1 and Kemba has 1 year at $12 (plus his Bird rights)
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,827

Post#983 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:03 pm

shrink wrote:The Process suggested this entertaining idea:

For the record, Batum has three years left after this summer, $24, $25.6, $27.1 and Kemba has 1 year at $12 (plus his Bird rights)

I suggested something similar months ago (mine included a Dieng/Zeller swap). I still would be in favor of this.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#984 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 pm

I don't know what the obsession with Batum is. He was/is really just a borderline player. And combine his salary with what Walker will want, won't we be in even deeper cap hell?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Re: RE: Re: Trade Talk: Deadline buyout options 

Post#985 » by minimus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:29 pm

If Batum can stay healthy I'd do it. Everything else is there: passing, rebounding, defense and some shooting.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#986 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:37 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:

I don't know what the obsession with Batum is. He was/is really just a borderline player. And combine his salary with what Walker will want, won't we be in even deeper cap hell?

Who has an obsession with Batum?

If you traded Wiggins for Walker, first of all, you'd need to probably include Teague. Charlotte would need a replacement at PG and we wouldn't want that much money tied up at PG between the starter and backup.

So now you're talking about trading $44 million and only getting $12 million in return. Something needs to be balanced out there. The cap experts here would riot if we added another center in Dwight Howard, so the next most logical choice for inclusion in the trade is Batum. It also gives a secondary ballhandler, which is what is needed from the second wing in our system.

There's still roughly $8 million savings on next year's cap in the deal, even with Batum's contract. Doesn't sound like cap hell to me.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM

Post#987 » by shrink » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:46 pm

I agree that there is no obsession with Batum. He is the highly negative salary that is coupled with Kemba to make a package that we could afford.

That said, I would not do this deal. One year of Kemba isn't enough to make three years of Batum a positive package. The question becomes which is more negative, and depends on how negative you see Wiggins and Teague. Personally, I'd rather stick with our players and hope Wiggins wakes up.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#988 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:00 pm

Joining with Butler and Towns, I don't understand why Walker would have to be viewed as a one-year rental?

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,517

Post#989 » by AirP. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:10 pm

Klomp wrote:Joining with Butler and Towns, I don't understand why Walker would have to be viewed as a one-year rental?

Something like this, wouldn't you just put an extension in place before the trade is official, much like Minnesota can do with Butler this summer?
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#990 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Klomp wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

Who has an obsession with Batum?

If you traded Wiggins for Walker, first of all, you'd need to probably include Teague. Charlotte would need a replacement at PG and we wouldn't want that much money tied up at PG between the starter and backup.

So now you're talking about trading $44 million and only getting $12 million in return. Something needs to be balanced out there. The cap experts here would riot if we added another center in Dwight Howard, so the next most logical choice for inclusion in the trade is Batum. It also gives a secondary ballhandler, which is what is needed from the second wing in our system.

There's still roughly $8 million savings on next year's cap in the deal, even with Batum's contract. Doesn't sound like cap hell to me.

"Obsession" may be a bit strong, even though I remember the old RC would have a "trade for Batum" thread every summer.

Anyhow, I still don't get it. (surprise) Are you saying trade Wigs and Teague for Batum and one year of Walker?
I mentioned cap hell, because to keep Kemba you will have to max him right? Not sure, but I guess you swap Wigs for him, but still stuck with Batum's contract. Jimmy is going to want max if Kemba gets it, and you have to max KAT. If this had to happen, I would take Howard's one year over Batum.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#991 » by Slim Tubby » Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:27 pm

How insane is this idea to dump Wiggy's contract and would the NYK even entertain the idea?

Knicks receive SF Wiggins ($25M-$30M x 5 years), C Aldrich ($7M - Only $2M Cap Hit after Buyout) & 2018 OKC 1st Round Pick

Timberwolves receive C Noah ($19M x 2 years), SG Lee ($13M x 2 years) & 2018 NYK 1st Round Pick
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#992 » by minimus » Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:44 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:How insane is this idea to dump Wiggy's contract and would the NYK even entertain the idea?

Knicks receive SF Wiggins ($25M-$30M x 5 years), C Aldrich ($7M - Only $2M Cap Hit after Buyout) & 2018 OKC 1st Round Pick

Timberwolves receive C Noah ($19M x 2 years), SG Lee ($13M x 2 years) & 2018 NYK 1st Round Pick

Noah will be bought out next summer. So we can sign him for "free"
Slim Tubby
Starter

Post#993 » by Slim Tubby » Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:59 pm

minimus wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:How insane is this idea to dump Wiggy's contract and would the NYK even entertain the idea?

Noah will be bought out next summer. So we can sign him for "free"

This trade is more about getting out from under Wiggins' next five years of his contract and less about having Noah on the roster. How about this one:

Hornets receive Wiggins ($25M), Teague ($19M), Dieng ($15M) & OKC 2018 1st

Wolves receive Walker ($12M), Howard ($24M) & Batum ($24M)

Batum only has three (3) years left on his deal compared to five (5) for Wiggins. Walker & Howard expire after 2018/19 and we would have the money to extend Walker while still maxing out KAT & Butler:

2018/19 Roster

C Howard/Gibson/Patton
PF KAT/Gibson/Belly
SF Butler/Belly/MGH
SG Crawford/Butler
PG Walker/Jones
Slim Tubby
Starter

Post#994 » by Slim Tubby » Mon Apr 2, 2018 6:02 pm

MIN receive Batum ($24M), Noah ($19M), Lee ($13M) & Walker ($12M) = $68M Total In
MIN send Wiggins ($25M), Teague ($19M), Dieng ($15M), Aldrich ($7M) & OKC 1st ($2M) = $68M Total Out

CHA receive Wiggins ($25M), Teague ($19M) & Aldrich ($7M) = $51M Total In
CHA send Batum ($24M), MKG ($13M) & Walker ($12M) = $49M Total Out

NYK receive Dieng ($15M) & MKG ($13M) & OKC 1st ($2M) = $30M Total In
NYK send Noah ($19M) & Lee ($13M) = $32M Total Out

MIN gets out from under Wiggins contract, adds Wing depth and has the cap space to extend KAT, Jimmy & Walker.

C - KAT/Noah/Patton
PF - Gibson/Bjelica
SF - Butler/Crawford
SG - Batum/Lee
PG - Walker/Rose/Jones

CHA - This only works if MJ sees the potential in Wiggy and feels a change of scenery will help him blossom. Teague is their stop gap PG that will probably opt out after 2018/19 and Aldrich can be waived with only a $2M cap hit.

C - Howard/Hernangomez
PF - Zeller/Kaminsky
SF - Wiggins/Williams
SG - Monk/Lamb
PG - Teague/MCW

NYK - They replace a worthless contract in Noah for a younger, cheaper, better player in Dieng. They also add some youth in MKG to build around Porzingis, Frank, Hardaway and their high 2018 draft pick. They also add another 2018 1st Round Pick (OKC) to help with their build.

C - Kanter/Dieng/O'Quinn
PF - Zinger/Dieng/O'Quinn
SF - MKG/2018 1st/Beasley
SG - Hardaway/Thomas
PG - Ntilikina/Mudiay
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#995 » by SBM » Mon Apr 2, 2018 8:50 pm

The Bazemore thing is intriguing.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yarpdon9

Baze+Plumlee

for

Dieng,Patton,Aldrich

I would take this if I could without sending a 1st.
SmokeyK
Junior
And1: 19

Post#996 » by SmokeyK » Mon Apr 2, 2018 9:35 pm

SBM wrote:The Bazemore thing is intriguing.

Baze+Plumlee

for

Dieng,Patton,Aldrich

Gotta keep Patton...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#997 » by SBM » Mon Apr 2, 2018 10:38 pm

SmokeyK wrote:

Baze+Plumlee

for

Dieng,Patton,Aldrich

Gotta keep Patton...

Why? When I look at draft board there are several C's that could fall to us.
SmokeyK
Junior
And1: 19

Post#998 » by SmokeyK » Mon Apr 2, 2018 10:55 pm

SBM wrote:
SmokeyK wrote:

Baze+Plumlee

for

Dieng,Patton,Aldrich

Gotta keep Patton...

Why? When I look at draft board there are several C's that could fall to us.

Give them the pick in stead of PATTON...

Teague-Jones-Rose
Butler-Baze-Crawford
Wiggins-b
Gibson-Plumlee
Towns-Patton

Thibs can use a 10-11 rotation. Our 2nd unit would be best in league.

shrink
RealGM

Post#999 » by shrink » Tue Apr 3, 2018 12:21 am

Slim Tubby wrote:MIN receive Batum ($24M), Noah ($19M), Lee ($13M) & Walker ($12M) = $68M Total In
MIN send Wiggins ($25M), Teague ($19M), Dieng ($15M), Aldrich ($7M) & OKC 1st ($2M) = $68M Total Out

CHA receive Wiggins ($25M), Teague ($19M) & Aldrich ($7M) = $51M Total In
CHA send Batum ($24M), MKG ($13M) & Walker ($12M) = $49M Total Out

NYK receive Dieng ($15M) & MKG ($13M) & OKC 1st ($2M) = $30M Total In
NYK send Noah ($19M) & Lee ($13M) = $32M Total Out

I would definitely not do the NYK part, where I think Noah's contract, and a probably worsening Courtney Lee, is not good value. The Knicks get too much:

Noah + Courtney Lee: $30.8, $32.0
Dieng + MKG: $28.2, $29.2, $17.3 (Dieng alone)

Lee may be a little better than MKG, at least now, at age 32.5, but Gorgui is a functional player, and Noah is not. The Knicks improve a great deal on the floor, and save a little less money for two years, and the final year of Dieng is not worth MIN giving up the OKC 1st.

The CHA part seems closer, though I personally would prefer to keep Wiggins since I am down on Batum's injury history.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1000 » by shrink » Tue Apr 3, 2018 12:23 am

Baze+Plumlee

for

Dieng,Patton,Aldrich

I agree that Bazemore might be the negative-value contract that we could use, but this is way too much salary to take on when we are in the lux.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves