All Star Game

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,125

Re: All Star Game 

Post#61 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:32 am

I do wish he could have opted out and given someone else a shot to play. He doesn't care for the game but some do and would have loved to play in that game.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Post#62 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 am

Calinks wrote:I do wish he could have opted out and given someone else a shot to play. He doesn't care for the game but some do and would have loved to play in that game.

From what I've seen mentioned a couple times, a player can't opt out of the game if he played in the last game before the break.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

All Star Game 

Post#63 » by _AIJ_ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Calinks wrote:I do wish he could have opted out and given someone else a shot to play. He doesn't care for the game but some do and would have loved to play in that game.

Those someone are too sensitive that theyre left out from this worthless event

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Post#64 » by shrink » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Klomp wrote:

From what I've seen mentioned a couple times, a player can't opt out of the game if he played in the last game before the break.

Bingo.

1. A couple years ago, we had a number of star players fake injuries so they didn't have to play in the All Star Game, and could go vacation. The NBA worried about missing out on another opportunity to make money off their star players, if there All Star Game suddenly atopped having stars, and instituted this rule. In fact, resting players has become a big issue for the nba in general, thanks to Pops and the Cavs, who seemed to rest older players when they wanted, even on nationally televised nights. "Faking an injury" was not an option.

2. Also remember that if Jimmy doesn't play many minutes, other star players get to play more. If Lou Williams replaces Jimmy, suddenly Lou is taking minutes from the LeBron's and Steph's that are already on the team.

3. Remember who Jimmy is. He's an unselfish player who prides himself on defense. Is this what we value in an All Star Game?

Jimmy had no choice about being selected (the coaches made that vote), and he had no choice about being forced to show up (since we needed him to play against the Lakers, and nba rules required he play in the ASG). Also
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#65 » by Mattya » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:26 pm

It’s like people just needed to be mad at something for a day and moved on. Props to Klomp for actually trying to figure it out opposed to just running with a narrative.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#66 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm

ALICEinJAM wrote:

I don't know why some people can't understand why some people do enjoy the all star game or think its a worthwhile event. Its fine if some don't I get it, you should also be able to accept the fact that some people have a different opinion.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#67 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:37 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Bingo.

1. A couple years ago, we had a number of star players fake injuries so they didn't have to play in the All Star Game, and could go vacation. The NBA worried about missing out on another opportunity to make money off their star players, if there All Star Game suddenly atopped having stars, and instituted this rule. In fact, resting players has become a big issue for the nba in general, thanks to Pops and the Cavs, who seemed to rest older players when they wanted, even on nationally televised nights. "Faking an injury" was not an option.

2. Also remember that if Jimmy doesn't play many minutes, other star players get to play more. If Lou Williams replaces Jimmy, suddenly Lou is taking minutes from the LeBron's and Steph's that are already on the team.

3. Remember who Jimmy is. He's an unselfish player who prides himself on defense. Is this what we value in an All Star Game?

Jimmy had no choice about being selected (the coaches made that vote), and he had no choice about being forced to show up (since we needed him to play against the Lakers, and nba rules required he play in the ASG). Also

Ah I see. It makes sense, all star game is for the fans and helps the NBA brand, I get the NBA being worried about several stars trying to skip it.

Going by what someone said on Reddit, Jimmy was out doing shots until 4AM the previous night. People think he was hungover. Kind of an odd series of events but I get it itn the big scheme of things.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#68 » by _AIJ_ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Calinks wrote:
ALICEinJAM wrote:

I don't know why some people can't understand why some people do enjoy the all star game or think its a worthwhile event. Its fine if some don't I get it, you should also be able to accept the fact that some people have a different opinion.

I understand. But the reason why these snubbed out players didnt get in to the game because either theyre not good enough to make it or someone is obviously better or more deserving than them. Id take this as a motivation next year to hopefully make it.

LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,172

Post#69 » by AirP. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:59 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Bingo.

Personally I'd be fine with All-Star weekend just disappearing but it's still around, if you're selected to play you need to play for the fans. No longer do we need an all-star game to see players like it was once needed when we didn't have the internet and had limited options with cable tv.

It's really not about Butler, it's about the NBA and TNT paid for the All-Star game and advertisers paying for spots, if you're showing up for the NBA all-star game you should play unless there's a real reason not to and Butler didn't have a good reason. I really find it hard to believe 10-15 minutes of an all-star game during a week off was really that needed to miss... especially when I see other players putting up nearly as many minutes out there with no problems.

If the NBA doesn't send out a memo about this or possibly fine Butler it's sending out a bad message that anyone can do this and then that starts affecting money... money, the reason we have the NBA and the reason they make the incredible salaries they make.
shrink
RealGM

Post#70 » by shrink » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:08 pm

ALICEinJAM wrote:I understand. But the reason why these snubbed out players didnt get in to the game because either theyre not good enough to make it or someone is obviously better or more deserving than them. Id take this as a motivation next year to hopefully make it.

Exactly! I hate to hear the people or fans that come up short and always blame it on everyone else.

If you want to make an All Star game, be so much better that your selection is undeniable.

If you want to win a basketball game, be so much better that a few bad calls by a referee doesn't result in a loss.

If you want a promotion at work, be so much better than your co-workers that the boss couldn't choose someone else.

When a player/team only gets good enough to be close, but not much better than a rival, I think they need to keep their mouths shut and work harder, not blame others.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#71 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:22 pm

I personally don't think it was a big deal, as nobody watched the ASG to see Jimmy freaking Butler. Lets face it, the ASG isn't what it used to be because most of the players are friends. It used to be a battle of conferences and pride at stake, but now players just want the fame that comes with being an all star, but not the responsibility. Jimmy should have played 6-7 mins in the first half, and nobody would have even noticed he didn't play in the second. Fine him the losers game check and send it to a charity of his choice.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Post#72 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:32 pm

For the record too, Butler never refused to go in. He simply said to the coach not to worry about fitting him into the rotation.

Butler told Team Stephen head coach Mike D'Antoni not to worry about playing him or incorporating him into the lineup.

"He was tired and he just felt like his legs weren’t there," Mike D’Antoni said. "He didn’t practice yesterday or play today. You have to respect that. He plays hard. Sometimes your body just needs a rest."

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/02/19/jimmy-butler-sits-out-all-star-game-own-request#/

Another thing to remember is it can be difficult for a coach in one of these games to divvy up playing time so that everyone is happy. 240 minutes is not enough playing time to split among 12 players who feel like they should be on the court. Butler not playing gave other guys a chance at more minutes.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM

Post#73 » by shrink » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 pm

I have stopped watching the All Star game, but people need to remember what it is -- an exhibition.

The spectators want to see slam dunks, three pointers, and they don't care about defense. They want to see guys like Towns, and they don't want to guys like Butler, who would rather play defense, make the smart basketball play, and drive to the hoop to create contract and a three point play.

Leaving Butler off the All Star team would have been a travesty. He has earned it, and is probably a better nba player than half the all stars there. The coaches recognized that, and put him in. He needed to show up, to follow nba rules. However, I have no problem with D'Antoni spreading his minutes around to more of the other All Stars, who could put on a show. In fact, I respect the coach for this choice, since he could have decided to play Butler into the ground so he would be more tired when he faces the Rockets after the break.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#74 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 pm

shrink wrote:I have stopped watching the All Star game, but people need to remember what it is -- an exhibition.

The spectators want to see slam dunks, three pointers, and they don't care about defense. They want to see guys like Towns, and they don't want to guys like Butler, who would rather play defense, make the smart basketball play, and drive to the hoop to create contract and a three point play.

Leaving Butler off the All Star team would have been a travesty. He has earned it, and is probably a better nba player than half the all stars there. The coaches recognized that, and put him in. He needed to show up, to follow nba rules. However, I have no problem with D'Antoni spreading his minutes around to more of the other All Stars, who could put on a show. In fact, I respect the coach for this choice, since he could have decided to play Butler into the ground so he would be more tired when he faces the Rockets after the break.

I disagree with this. I do think spectators want to see an exciting game. There have been many complains the last few years and this years game have gotten a lot of praise. Its certainly not the same as watching a real game but what I think people truly want to see is the best of the best competing against and playing with each other. People want to see some desire to win, its not simply just for flashy dunks and deep three's. The last few years have been all flash and not a degree of substance, there needs to be a mix to make interested fans happy and Sunday night they got that.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#75 » by urinesane » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:27 pm

Better for the Wolves that he didn't play. I like that he is more focused on being healthy and rested for games that count, rather than going all out for a meaningless game.
shrink
RealGM

Post#76 » by shrink » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Calinks wrote:
shrink wrote:I have stopped watching the All Star game, but people need to remember what it is -- an exhibition.

I disagree with this. I do think spectators want to see an exciting game. There have been many complains the last few years and this years game have gotten a lot of praise. Its certainly not the same as watching a real game but what I think people truly want to see is the best of the best competing against and playing with each other. People want to see some desire to win, its not simply just for flashy dunks and deep three's. The last few years have been all flash and not a degree of substance, there needs to be a mix to make interested fans happy and Sunday night they got that.

Yes, that's exactly why I don't watch, but the All Star game, and the other exhibitions the day before, seem to get good ratings.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#77 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:45 am

southern wolf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
southern wolf wrote:
As much as I loved Sam and especially Wally, I think it's fair to say Butler and Towns are far more deserving all stars. Definitely our best ever all star duo. Exciting times.

Cassell was SPECTACULAR his first year with the Wolves.All NBA 2nd Team. Neither Towns or Butler are Far more deserving possibly not more deserving at all.

Fair point. I didn't watch the Wolves back then so I can only go off of stats, but all NBA second team is pretty impressive.

A lot of people acted like the Wolves had a big three that season. That was total BS. Spreewell was about the same as Andrew Wiggins is now. Cassell was freaking amazing along with KG who was the best player in the league. Cassell was injured for the series against the Lakers and so was his backup. Derrick I forget his last name (was it Miller) replaced him. We go from all NBA 2nd team to a third string player who basically never played. Cassell stays healthy we would have handled the Lakers and Detroit and been NBA champions.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#78 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:52 am

You are so WRONG about the fans not wanting to see Defense. The All Star game last year sickened so many people that there was an uproar and outrage over it. The fans obviously do want to see defense in the All Star Game.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#79 » by Basti » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:57 am

KGdaBom wrote:
southern wolf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Cassell was SPECTACULAR his first year with the Wolves.All NBA 2nd Team. Neither Towns or Butler are Far more deserving possibly not more deserving at all.

Fair point. I didn't watch the Wolves back then so I can only go off of stats, but all NBA second team is pretty impressive.

A lot of people acted like the Wolves had a big three that season. That was total BS. Spreewell was about the same as Andrew Wiggins is now. Cassell was freaking amazing along with KG who was the best player in the league. Cassell was injured for the series against the Lakers and so was his backup. Derrick I forget his last name (was it Miller) replaced him. We go from all NBA 2nd team to a third string player who basically never played. Cassell stays healthy we would have handled the Lakers and Detroit and been NBA champions.

Derrick Martin, I think, was his name. But other than that I agree with your assessment. Although I'm not sure we would have handled the Pistons. Their defense was epic that year. But it probably would have been a closer series than the actual Finals series.
jumpmanjay
Analyst
And1: 703

Post#80 » by jumpmanjay » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:51 pm

I would put money on Jimmy's injuries being more significant than anyone in the org will let on.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves