ImageImageImage

If 2 of our starters are terrible, our bench is terrible, only 2 players can defend, our PG can't pass....

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,714

Re: If 2 of our starters are terrible, our bench is terrible, only 2 players can defend, our PG can't pass.... 

Post#21 » by AirP. » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Klomp wrote:Still, you're talking about the team as if it had a 25-36 record right now, not 36-25.

We know that there is still a jump that needs to be made. But that doesn't mean this season has been a failure when we're on pace for one of the best seasons in franchise history.

I'm talking about a team that gave Phoenix 2 of it's 18 wins, one of those with their best player out.

I don't really care about the history all that much, I look at the roster, I look at the coaching and that's what I make my decisions on how good a team should be. Don't really care this team only won 31 games last year, things are different, drastically different.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Re: If 2 of our starters are terrible, our bench is terrible, only 2 players can defend, our PG can't pass.... 

Post#22 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:23 pm

AirP. wrote:I'm talking about a team that gave Phoenix 2 of it's 18 wins, one of those with their best player out.

The 73-win Warriors lost to a Lakers team that went 17-65, 29-53 Minnesota, 33-49 Milwaukee and 33-49 Denver. I guess they should've been a much better team that year too. What a failed season!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#23 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:25 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:I give fans who are knocking this team, despite its record, leeway because the Wolves have been a pretty bad team in 2018. Now, some of that has to do with Teague's injury and his recovery time. Remember, he probably came back too fast. Also, this team's bench does suck. Thibs/Layden aren't mortgaging the future for the 7th and 8th guy on the bench. I really wish Corey Brewer would be waived. I actually, and I know it will never happen, like to see a vet small forward move into the starting lineup and push Wiggins to the bench and let the Wiggins that played against Toronto and the Clippers headline our second unit. There's no doubt that he and Butler don't mesh well offensively. Wiggins either needs to run the offense, which he isn't going to do with Butler and Teague, or post up, which he isn't going to do much with Taj and Towns. I think Wiggins could be solid off the bench, but we just don't have a smart, athletic SF to take his place.

Wiggins will be traded before that ever happens. You don't pay a player max money to come off the bench. Brewer,yes, Wigs? Hell no.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#24 » by Mech Engineer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Considering the age of KAT and Wiggins, no team goes from a 30 win team to a 60 win team even with a Jimmy Butler addition. The recent examples of the Heat in 2011, Celtics in 2008 was due to the addition of multiple all-stars who had played for a long time in the league but were still in their prime. KAT/Wiggins are too young to demand consistency not just in play but also get 55/60 wins. They lose focus/are still learning and no wonder you have the Wolves lose to bad teams especially on the road.

And, Jimmy is a late bloomer. He is a year or two slower than a star who was given the keys from Day 1. The league also has a lot of parity with a lot of talent spread around(although not star talent). That means you can easily lose games.

The only thing I would say is the Wolves need to figure out the 3pt shooting defense/offense. Teams are shooting in high volume with multiple players. So the old adage of live by the 3, die by the 3 doesn't hold. The 2011 Bulls had Korver and maybe Deng to shoot 3s. Now, you have teams with half or more of the roster who can shoot 3s. There is always someone who is hot from the 3. You have to counter that to win/stay in games.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:You have to counter that to win/stay in games.

And the Wolves do that by getting to the free throw line (along with not putting opponents on the line) and creating turnovers (along with not turning the ball over).
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,714

Post#26 » by AirP. » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 pm

Klomp wrote:
AirP. wrote:I'm talking about a team that gave Phoenix 2 of it's 18 wins, one of those with their best player out.

The 73-win Warriors lost to a Lakers team that went 17-65, 29-53 Minnesota, 33-49 Milwaukee and 33-49 Denver. I guess they should've been a much better team that year too. What a failed season!

Twice with one of those games their best player out? I get losing to really anyone in the NBA, anything can happen especially when you don't take them serious, but losing twice to the same bad team is a whole different thing, you know they beat you that year and you shouldn't take them for granted after that.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:06 pm

OK, you're right. It totally makes sense to judge an entire season negatively because they took a team for granted one time after losing to them previously.

Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#28 » by Wingman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:45 am

Bazz doesn't deserve 8 minutes a game on the Iowa Wolves. He does not play winning basketball at this point.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#29 » by packforfreedom » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 am

Narf wrote:.....Then why are we the favorites to be the 3rd seed in the west in a division where every team has a winning record?

Jimmy and Taj? No one else competent at all on D?

3rd best offense in the NBA behind 2 top 5 offenses of all time?

Does everything suck? Or is it you?

Might be time to stop whining.

You forgot, that we also have the worst coach in the NBA, who doesn't know any plays.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#30 » by southern wolf » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:09 pm

I think a lot of Wolves fans are so success starved that they want our success to be 60 win seasons and contending straight away.

The only really frustrating things for me have been the losses to crappy Eastern teams and Wiggins lacklustre play. Teague is the whipping boy on here, but Wiggins has been more frustrating as far as I'm concerned.
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#31 » by Streakers33 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:34 pm

I’m saving my frustrating till playoffs. If we are not competing at all vs anyone in the west.. I’ll be bugged..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,925

Post#32 » by Domejandro » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:32 pm

....Or maybe there are legitimate criticisms to be had about the team, and it should be seen as acceptable to discuss the problems with the team while recognizing the positive aspects of the team? Sometimes I don't understand why people are so aggressive and condescending in shutting down perspectives on what mistakes the team has made, and what could hypothetically change to negate the problems seen with the roster. Like, I don't even agree with a lot of the criticisms at times, but them existing really isn't that big of a deal.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#33 » by walk with me » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:58 pm

There were people who didn’t have this team in the playoffs in the pre season, or 7-8 seed. Pretty interesting how quickly people forget.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#34 » by LordBaldric » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:07 pm

walk with me wrote:There were people who didn’t have this team in the playoffs in the pre season, or 7-8 seed. Pretty interesting how quickly people forget.

Those people didn't realize just how good Jimmy Butler is.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Domejandro wrote:....Or maybe there are legitimate criticisms to be had about the team, and it should be seen as acceptable to discuss the problems with the team while recognizing the positive aspects of the team? Sometimes I don't understand why people are so aggressive and condescending in shutting down perspectives on what mistakes the team has made, and what could hypothetically change to negate the problems seen with the roster. Like, I don't even agree with a lot of the criticisms at times, but them existing really isn't that big of a deal.

I think most people understand that there are problems that need to be addressed. But no team is perfect. A team with problems can still have a very good season. Some people lose sight of that fact.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:12 pm

walk with me wrote:There were people who didn’t have this team in the playoffs in the pre season, or 7-8 seed. Pretty interesting how quickly people forget.

A majority of us didn't have us where we are. In the one prediction thread, I think most of them were hovering below 45 wins and just sneaking into the playoffs at best.

Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#37 » by Streakers33 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:56 am

I’m guilty of the 43 wins prediction.. but jimmy and taj have been so wow.. I was wrong there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beezy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#38 » by beezy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Let's just wait and see how the next 10 games go before we are "penciled in" to the 3rd seed.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,801

Post#39 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 am

beezy wrote:Let's just wait and see how the next 10 games go before we are "penciled in" to the 3rd seed.

Penciling in means it isn't very certain. That's what I say every time I make an appointment that isn't very certain. Pencil it in because pencil is easy to be erased. So Penciling us in is just fine. Just don't use ink.
Ace_Rockola
Rookie
And1: 567

Post#40 » by Ace_Rockola » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:34 am

I think Thibs is the wrong coach for the team, yes having a winning record is fun, but should be much better.

In the 13-14 season The warriors won 51 games and lost in the first round to the clippers.

They fired Mark Jackson and hired Kerr, with essentially the same roster, the next year they win 67 games and win the championship.
I feel like we're winning on the talent of our players alone, and with a more appropriate coach, could go from middle of the pack, to great.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves