The obligatory fire Thibs thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,527

Re: The obligatory fire Thibs thread 

Post#361 » by guest81 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:01 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
walk with me wrote:And heres another thing tbh... let’s say we won 2 more games and ended up in 3rd. Would people still be disappointed?

We finished 47-35.. you mean to tell me that if the team finished 49-33 that this thread wouldn’t exist? That’s LITERALLY TWO WINS!!!!!!!

A lot of you seem to not be able to come to terms that you just dislike thibs for non b-ball reasons

- he’s ugly
- he’s not fashionable
- he’s not chummy with the media
- his haircut sucks
- he’s not a former player
- he’s not young
- he yells a lot
- he has a gruff voice
- he’s not balls to the wall 3 point shooting

That’s easily grounds to dislike him without even looking past the surface. The reality is his players co-sign him, he’s a proven hard worker and he’s delivered on the promise and for the haters 2 games certainly wouldn’t make the difference. So just say the truth, you hate thibs cause he’s not fun to root for. I could respect that a lot more than all this other nonsense. TWO FREAKING games for all th complaining about thibs coaching style and GM’ing and it’s only 2 GAMES of difference. Jeez lol

For me is not about the 2 freaking wins, it's about the ceilling of team that was higher one year ago that it is right now IMO.

How about:

- He's outdated as a coach
- Our defense sucks
- Our offense is not that good
- Overall, No players improvement on the young guys
- He doesn't make adjustments
- He did an awful job as a GM so far by not filling the obvious needs of this team this past off season
- He did an awful job to put us in a fiancially situation that we can't do much in the next 2 years unless you belive we can trade Gorgui contract for Tyson Chandler lol.
- Doesn't develop the bench (we talk about that all season long)

If you want ignore all of that, sure, you can go with your arguments of why people don't like Thibs.

How did Jimmy and Gibson not fill the needs the Wolves had?
juju14
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#362 » by juju14 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Klomp wrote:
juju14 wrote:Give this team to brad Stevens and we generate way more open shots.

Does that guarantee that those shots go in? No it does not.

It has a better chance at going in. That's the point. You thinking Thibs is a good offensive coach is laughable. I think Thibs is a overall good coach when the players buy into him. I have seen Thibs scrub wins together when Bulls were massively injured. I just think for some reason Wiggins and Towns just don't fully buy into him (Mostly Wiggins own fault and motor), but don't sit hear and think you going to convince me Thibs now to construct a offense around players talent better then brad stevens.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#363 » by guest81 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
guest81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
No, they gave away Jae Crowder on a great contract / a 1st round pick and 3 expiring contracts.
Where the hell we have that ?

Portland had the 3rd highest payroll last year and went from 8th to the 3rd seed

And they are stuck for years now. They are never going to be a real contendor.

Newsflash, then there aren't any contenders out there other then the Rockets and Warriors. And if the Warriors had Curry, it would be just the warriors.Jazz won't be a contender. Spurs won't be a contender. NO won't be a contender. None of them
juju14
Pro Prospect

Post#364 » by juju14 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:05 pm

guest81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
guest81 wrote:
Portland had the 3rd highest payroll last year and went from 8th to the 3rd seed

Newsflash, then there aren't any contenders out there other then the Rockets and Warriors. And if the Warriors had Curry, it would be just the warriors.Jazz won't be a contender. Spurs won't be a contender. NO won't be a contender. None of them

Why can't the jazz be contenders
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#365 » by guest81 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:09 pm

juju14 wrote:
guest81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

Why can't the jazz be contenders

can't score enough to keep up with the Rockets. Probably get swept by a healthy GS team
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#366 » by packforfreedom » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:11 pm

btw because everybody keeps repeating that our offense isn't good. our offense is excellent. it isn't pretty but it's efficient. it's something like the 10th efficient offense of the last 15 years.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#367 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:14 pm

guest81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
walk with me wrote:And heres another thing tbh... let’s say we won 2 more games and ended up in 3rd. Would people still be disappointed?

We finished 47-35.. you mean to tell me that if the team finished 49-33 that this thread wouldn’t exist? That’s LITERALLY TWO WINS!!!!!!!

A lot of you seem to not be able to come to terms that you just dislike thibs for non b-ball reasons

- he’s ugly
- he’s not fashionable
- he’s not chummy with the media
- his haircut sucks
- he’s not a former player
- he’s not young
- he yells a lot
- he has a gruff voice
- he’s not balls to the wall 3 point shooting

That’s easily grounds to dislike him without even looking past the surface. The reality is his players co-sign him, he’s a proven hard worker and he’s delivered on the promise and for the haters 2 games certainly wouldn’t make the difference. So just say the truth, you hate thibs cause he’s not fun to root for. I could respect that a lot more than all this other nonsense. TWO FREAKING games for all th complaining about thibs coaching style and GM’ing and it’s only 2 GAMES of difference. Jeez lol

For me is not about the 2 freaking wins, it's about the ceilling of team that was higher one year ago that it is right now IMO.

How about:

- Our defense sucks
- He did an awful job as a GM so far by not filling the obvious needs of this team this past off season
- He did an awful job to put us in a fiancially situation that we can't do much in the next 2 years unless you belive we can trade Gorgui contract for Tyson Chandler lol.

If you want ignore all of that, sure, you can go with your arguments of why people don't like Thibs.

Jimmy was a great trade. Taj was an unnecessary move at that price IMO. And the numbers show it, our defense didn't improved.

Depth (with shorter contracts), defense and 3pt shooting was the needs of this team.
We got nothing of that.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#368 » by guest81 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
guest81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

How about:

- Our defense sucks

Jimmy was a great trade. Taj was an unnecessary move at that price IMO. And the numbers show it, our defense didn't improved.

Depth (with shorter contracts), defense and 3pt shooting was the needs of this team.
We got nothing of that.

Wolves biggest needs were leadership and toughness. Taj and Butler brought that in spades. The numbers on defense with butler with and without him were significant
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,352

Post#369 » by walk with me » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pm

mercgold3 wrote:For me is not about the 2 freaking wins, it's about the ceilling of team that was higher one year ago that it is right now IMO.

How about:

- Our defense sucks

You’re way to fixated on ceiling... ceiling means nothing. You know how many teams had a high ceiling and didn’t amount to anything?

5 of your points are totally subjective
2 are on the players
1 is closer to true than false... thibs can be slow to “switch it up” I’ll give you that

mercgold3 wrote:

You must wan the team to suck forever. Winning culture matters.

juju14 wrote:How the hell didn't Giannis improve and how is it even debatable?

The same way people are saying we’re a disappointment for not “improving”
Note30 wrote:

I apologize, that was out of line.

Of course its grounds for disappointment! Don't you want to win a championship sooner rather than later??

You don't get that unless you have developed talent that can be a selling point (to FA's) for this team.

What In life can you go from the lowest to the best over night?

Crawl - walk - run
Intern - associate - manager
Lottery - playoffs - championship

I don’t get how you want this team to skip steps.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#370 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:29 pm

walk with me wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:For me is not about the 2 freaking wins, it's about the ceilling of team that was higher one year ago that it is right now IMO.

How about:

- Our defense sucks

You’re way to fixated on ceiling... ceiling means nothing. You know how many teams had a high ceiling and didn’t amount to anything?

2 are on the players
1 is closer to true than false... thibs can be slow to “switch it up” I’ll give you that

mercgold3 wrote:

1. So, No Thibs responsibilty in anything.
2. I know winning culture matters, if not, i wanted the picks instead of making the playoffs knowing that facing the Rockets probably means a sweep.
3. But i like i said several times in the begining of the season, the minute we traded for Jimmy we are a playoff team. Not like the garbage argument that you brough up a thousand times that the problem of this team was Rubio and only Rubio.

MAKING THE PLAYOFFS WAS EXPECTED.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#371 » by guest81 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:38 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
walk with me wrote:

How about:

- Our defense sucks

2 are on the players

mercgold3 wrote:

2. I know winning culture matters, if not, i wanted the picks instead of making the playoffs knowing that facing the Rockets probably means a sweep.
3. But i like i said several times in the begining of the season, the minute we traded for Jimmy we are a playoff team. Not like the garbage argument that you brough up a thousand times that the problem of this team was Rubio and only Rubio.

With Jimmy in the lineup they were the 3rd toi 4th best team in the west.

Question for you. If the wolves right now were the 3rd seed instead would your opinion be different?
juju14
Pro Prospect

Post#372 » by juju14 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:39 pm

packforfreedom wrote:btw because everybody keeps repeating that our offense isn't good. our offense is excellent. it isn't pretty but it's efficient. it's something like the 10th efficient offense of the last 15 years.

We have good offensive talent that's why, but are we going to get open shots in tight playoff games?
juju14
Pro Prospect

Post#373 » by juju14 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:40 pm

walk with me wrote:

How about:

- Our defense sucks

2 are on the players

mercgold3 wrote:

juju14 wrote:How the hell didn't Giannis improve and how is it even debatable?

The same way people are saying we’re a disappointment for not “improving”
Note30 wrote:

I apologize, that was out of line.

Of course its grounds for disappointment! Don't you want to win a championship sooner rather than later??

You don't get that unless you have developed talent that can be a selling point (to FA's) for this team.

What In life can you go from the lowest to the best over night?

Crawl - walk - run
Intern - associate - manager
Lottery - playoffs - championship

I don’t get how you want this team to skip steps.

I think people are mostly referring to Wiggins
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#374 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:42 pm

guest81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
walk with me wrote:

2 are on the players

Question for you. If the wolves right now were the 3rd seed instead would your opinion be different?

No. Every team can say the same thing.
With Gobert in the lineup, with Kawhi in the lineup, with Millsap in the lineup, with Cousins in the lineup... Just stop with that.
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#375 » by FargoWolf » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:51 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Taj was an unnecessary move at that price IMO. And the numbers show it, our defense didn't improved.

This team needed toughness in the post, Taj delivered it day in and day out. He was a very necessary move and in case you missed it is a big reason why the team won a must win game to get into the playoffs.

Taj helped keep the team from cratering off a cliff when Jimmy was out, he was this team's rock. You always knew what you are going to get out of him, he is the perfect glue guy for this team. He doesn't care about anything but winning basketball games, just brings his lunch pale and hard hat to each game and goes to work. He was worth every single penny.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#376 » by guest81 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:51 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
guest81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

With Gobert in the lineup, with Kawhi in the lineup, with Millsap in the lineup, with Cousins in the lineup... Just stop with that.

So 2 games really separate you from being satisfied to there being no hope? What roads to the other teams in thewest have to get better?
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,086

Post#377 » by AirP. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:05 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:With his talent and contract we expect it next season, so not sure how he can learn effort, but that is what they should tell him to work on in the summer.

You can't "learn" effort, you can just force yourself to do it if it's not a part of who you are. Most NBA players have to give great effort to get to the NBA, Wiggins was gifted and with that may not have learned good work habbits.

For a while Chicago's FO had a pretty good tactic for drafting(less busts), they went looking for gym rats and hard workers to create a team of players who pushed themselves and although they weren't all that talented compared to a lot of teams, they'd compete night in and night out. Minnesota needs some of those types of players, especially on the bench to sometimes push the starters.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#378 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:07 pm

guest81 wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
guest81 wrote:

So 2 games really separate you from being satisfied to there being no hope? What roads to the other teams in thewest have to get better?

Is the direction this franchise took this past off season. Is the way we plyed this 2 years And obviously the incapacity of our coach/GM to make good decisions.

My opinion.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#379 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 pm

FargoWolf wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
Taj was an unnecessary move at that price IMO. And the numbers show it, our defense didn't improved.

This team needed toughness in the post, Taj delivered it day in and day out. He was a very necessary move and in case you missed it is a big reason why the team won a must win game to get into the playoffs.

Taj helped keep the team from cratering off a cliff when Jimmy was out, he was this team's rock. You always knew what you are going to get out of him, he is the perfect glue guy for this team. He doesn't care about anything but winning basketball games, just brings his lunch pale and hard hat to each game and goes to work. He was worth every single penny.

This team nedded toughness and a bunch of other things more importants IMO. If you need toughness you're not going from Rubio to Teague.
FargoWolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Post#380 » by FargoWolf » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
FargoWolf wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

This team nedded toughness and a bunch of other things more importants IMO. If you need toughness you're not going from Rubio to Teague.

This team needed toughness in the post and needed it desperately. We needed a vet presence like KG provided early in KAT's career and it needed to be somebody like Taj that could still play. It was a perfect signing by Thibs, don't let your Rubio issues cloud your judgement on other things Thibs has done. It isn't a good look.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves