***The 2018 Playoffs Thread***

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Re: ***The 2018 Playoffs Thread*** 

Post#441 » by Calinks » Fri Jun 1, 2018 3:38 am

LOL at Green dancing and laughing. Beating the king while he is down. Cold blooded man.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,919

Post#442 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:01 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:This game is insane.

Also, what exactly is the charge/block rule? Broadcast crew saying it's about "legal guarding position" and moving doesn't matter, Steve Javie saying it looks like a charge, but the call gets overturned and Jon Krawczynski is saying it looked like a clear blocking foul on twitter. I don't get what just happened there.

Full disclosure: I'm rooting for the Cavs.

I think it was pretty clearly a block.

The defender is permitted to establish his legal guarding position in the path of the dribbler regardless of his speed and distance. To get into a legal position, the defender needs to establish himself in the path of the offensive player before contact is made, thus “beating him to the spot,” and before he starts his upward shooting motion.

http://official.nba.com/the-nba-rule-authority/

Here's the thing. No, you don't have to be completely standing still. But you have to be in front of him (establish himself in the path), which I don't think LeBron had done. He was still sliding into place when the contact was made, and did not beat him to the spot.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#443 » by karch34 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 5:05 am

Klomp wrote:

Also, what exactly is the charge/block rule? Broadcast crew saying it's about "legal guarding position" and moving doesn't matter, Steve Javie saying it looks like a charge, but the call gets overturned and Jon Krawczynski is saying it looked like a clear blocking foul on twitter. I don't get what just happened there.

The defender is permitted to establish his legal guarding position in the path of the dribbler regardless of his speed and distance. To get into a legal position, the defender needs to establish himself in the path of the offensive player before contact is made, thus “beating him to the spot,” and before he starts his upward shooting motion.

Here's the thing. No, you don't have to be completely standing still. But you have to be in front of him (establish himself in the path), which I don't think LeBron had done. He was still sliding into place when the contact was made, and did not beat him to the spot.

I agree. That said there were a number of other calls I thought the refs blew. Full disclosure I loathe Ken Mauer and think he's bottom of the barrel for officials so i might be jaded.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#444 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 8:35 am

Klomp wrote:

I'm rooting for the Cavs, too. I found myself unable to cheer for the Rockets in the WCF. Too annoying. Cavs I can get behind, though. Take down Goliath.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#445 » by _AIJ_ » Fri Jun 1, 2018 10:24 am

Green is an ****

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 570

Post#446 » by TwolvesFanRome » Fri Jun 1, 2018 12:42 pm

I SUM UP MY POV OF THE GAME

LeBron is a little bit under MJ

Green is a bs

Jr Smith certainly has some psychic problem

Thompson has the same defensive intensity as an otter
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#447 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 1, 2018 1:55 pm

big3_8_19_21 wrote:I'm rooting for the Cavs, too. I found myself unable to cheer for the Rockets in the WCF. Too annoying. Cavs I can get behind, though. Take down Goliath.

100%
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#448 » by jmoy » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:47 pm

Klomp wrote:

When I first saw it I thought it was a block, but was very close. I don't like replay overturning a play that is so close and mostly judgement. If both refs thought in full speed it was a charge, it should be clear evidence to overturn it. Especially in a 2 pt game with under a minute left. I am not saying it was the NBA wanting the Warriors to win, but with all the problems with officials and such, why give another reason for doubt?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#449 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 1, 2018 5:19 pm

jmoy wrote:When I first saw it I thought it was a block, but was very close. I don't like replay overturning a play that is so close and mostly judgement. If both refs thought in full speed it was a charge, it should be clear evidence to overturn it. Especially in a 2 pt game with under a minute left. I am not saying it was the NBA wanting the Warriors to win, but with all the problems with officials and such, why give another reason for doubt?

What if it went the other way though, where a call couldn't be reversed but was clearly wrong? Isn't that worse?

jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#450 » by jmoy » Fri Jun 1, 2018 6:02 pm

Klomp wrote:
jmoy wrote:When I first saw it I thought it was a block, but was very close. I don't like replay overturning a play that is so close and mostly judgement. If both refs thought in full speed it was a charge, it should be clear evidence to overturn it. Especially in a 2 pt game with under a minute left. I am not saying it was the NBA wanting the Warriors to win, but with all the problems with officials and such, why give another reason for doubt?

What if it went the other way though, where a call couldn't be reversed but was clearly wrong? Isn't that worse?

I am all for changing plays if they are wrong. If James had his foot on the restricted line, that is something you can see. Overturn it. The block/charge call has a lot of interpretation. As I said in the first post, too much judgement involved when it is that close to overturn a call IMO.

As to your question about being worse? First- doesn't apply so why even ask? Second - as I never said they should be able to reverse a call, it is totally different. Third - Any call that is wrong hurts just as much weather reversed or not. Having the ability to reverse a call is not bad. Reversing THAT call, IMO, was not good.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#451 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 pm

Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:Yea I don't like the idea of getting rid of the three. At the end of the day I don't think the three is the problem. I think we just have one super stacked team that has 5 hall of famers, 4 all stars, and 3 top 10 players. Its just ridiculously hard to combat that. If the Warriors didn't exist as they do now, things would be very different. If any drastic rule change were to happen with the three I would probably be most amenable to them pushing the 3 point line further back.

Nah man, I don't know. The 3-pointer is like a cheat code for automatic success. I mean look no further than the success of the team that averaged the second-most 3s during the season.....the Brooklyn Nets. Meanwhile, you had two of the three least frequent 3-point shooting teams finish at the top of the NBA lottery.....the San Antonio Spurs and Minnesota Timberwolves.

Can't argue with facts like that. There's no other logical decision than to ban the 3-point shot forever. Heck, people who make a shot from 24 feet out should only get 1 point from here on out.

Nope just award them 2 points like any other shot gets. How many points are awarded in football for a 99 yard Td run vs a 1 yard TD Run.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#452 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:01 pm

wolfen wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:If a team goes cold, maybe they should stop chucking 3s.....

I have a genius solution to the 3 problem. ELIMINATE THEM. They don't belong and make a mockery of the game.

Either that or set a game cap on the number of 3's you can get credit for per game. Make it 10. After 10, any shot, regardless of where it is taken, counts for 2.

This is really a BRILLIANT Idea. However, I like the idea of limiting 3 point attempts to 10 better. That would force teams to be strategic about who where and when to shoot them. I don't want to see players who suck at shooting threes shooting threes anyway.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves