2018 Minnesota Lynx: The Quest for 5

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

2018 Minnesota Lynx: The Quest for 5 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Sat May 19, 2018 8:38 am

Last year, the Minnesota Lynx tied the Houston Comets for the most championships in league history with four. This time, they go for No. 5! The Lynx are also going after back-to-back titles, which hasn't been done in the WNBA since 2001 and 2002.

The quest begins Sunday at 4 p.m. as the Lynx will raise another banner in Target Center. There for the festivities will be the LA Sparks. The Sparks and Lynx have met in the last two WNBA Finals, with each team winning one. But really, the series has been a lot closer than that.

Read on Twitter

If you haven't given the WNBA a shot, I encourage you to try it out this summer. League Pass is available for just $17. That's a steal! More than that, it's just well-played, high-level basketball that's played. Especially when the Lynx and Sparks get together. I encourage you to rewatch how last season ended.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2018 Minnesota Lynx: The Quest for 5 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Sun May 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#3 » by Calinks » Sun May 20, 2018 10:34 pm

How the hell do we have 20 turnovers? Just tuning in, whats going on?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#4 » by Calinks » Sun May 20, 2018 11:08 pm

I knew Lindsay coaching would ruin her WNBA game.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Klomp » Mon May 21, 2018 1:22 am

Calinks wrote:How the hell do we have 20 turnovers? Just tuning in, whats going on?

Sloppy game. Banner night nerves?

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the loss, even though the Sparks were without Parker. We'll still probably meet them in the semifinals or finals.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Klomp » Mon May 21, 2018 1:22 am

Calinks wrote:I knew Lindsay coaching would ruin her WNBA game.

She is the easiest lock on the MN basketball Mount Rushmore. Just incredible!

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#7 » by Note30 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Klomp wrote:

Besides KG?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,827

Post#8 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Note30 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Besides KG?

I think KG would dominate her in a game of one on one.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Klomp » Mon May 21, 2018 10:55 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I think KG would dominate her in a game of one on one.

Not the discussion being had here. I wish people could discuss the merits of the women's game without resorting to petty comments like "X could beat her." Maybe in another 50 years men will finally grow up.....

As for Whalen vs. Garnett on the court, how many pro championships did each bring the state? How many trips to the Final Four did each make while playing for the state school?

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#10 » by Note30 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Klomp wrote:

Not the discussion being had here. I wish people could discuss the merits of the women's game without resorting to petty comments like "X could beat her." Maybe in another 50 years men will finally grow up.....

As for Whalen vs. Garnett on the court, how many pro championships did each bring the state? How many trips to the Final Four did each make while playing for the state school?

Who's more well known should be a factor too then.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Klomp » Mon May 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Note30 wrote:Who's more well known should be a factor too then.

And in this state, I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is Lindsay.

Honestly, I would consider putting Flip Saunders on the MN Mount Rushmore over Kevin Garnett.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Klomp » Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 pm

A reminder that we have the only female Jordan Brand athlete on our roster. Pretty cool!

Read on Twitter

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#13 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 22, 2018 1:45 am

Klomp wrote:

Klomp I am a big fan of Whalen and the Lynx. I watched her in college during that final four run. I was making a fun IMO comment that shouldn't have been taken too seriously. However, women do not play the game as well as men. That is a fact and should be taken at least somewhat into consideration. People care more about the men's game than the women's game. Fact. They Lynx have been possibly the best team in WNBA history and yet the Wolves still garner way more attention. KG IMO definitely goes on the Minnesota Mt. Rushmore ahead of Lindsay, but she is probably #2 in my book. Than probably Kevin McHale. I'm not too sure about who should be the fourth.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Klomp » Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Klomp I am a big fan of Whalen and the Lynx. I watched her in college during that final four run. I was making a fun IMO comment that shouldn't have been taken too seriously. However, women do not play the game as well as men. That is a fact and should be taken at least somewhat into consideration. People care more about the men's game than the women's game. Fact. They Lynx have been possibly the best team in WNBA history and yet the Wolves still garner way more attention. KG IMO definitely goes on the Minnesota Mt. Rushmore ahead of Lindsay, but she is probably #2 in my book. Than probably Kevin McHale. I'm not too sure about who should be the fourth.

Men care more about the men's game than the women's game.

And I would strongly disagree that women don't play as well as men. Especially if you're talking about the true fundamentals of the game that we all learned growing up. Let's face it, the game today is practically a watered down version of what basketball is supposed to be. A player can not dribble once from halfcourt to the basket and not be called for traveling. The NBA and its refs have altered the way basketball is officiated to be more what's visually pleasing than actually going by the rules of the game.

ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#15 » by ace625214 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:19 pm

"Old man yells at sky."

The game is the game. It changes and evolves over time, but that doesn't mean it isn't basketball. Is the NFL not football since teams have figured out throwing the ball more is useful? I wish we could go back to the days without the forward pass. Now that was real football.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Klomp » Tue May 22, 2018 6:30 pm

ace625214 wrote:"Old man yells at sky."

The game is the game. It changes and evolves over time, but that doesn't mean it isn't basketball. Is the NFL not football since teams have figured out throwing the ball more is useful? I wish we could go back to the days without the forward pass. Now that was real football.

Throwing the ball isn't against the rules in the NFL. Taking 10 steps between dribbles is (supposed to be) in the NBA.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#17 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 23, 2018 5:25 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Not the discussion being had here. I wish people could discuss the merits of the women's game without resorting to petty comments like "X could beat her." Maybe in another 50 years men will finally grow up.....

Men care more about the men's game than the women's game.

And I would strongly disagree that women don't play as well as men. Especially if you're talking about the true fundamentals of the game that we all learned growing up. Let's face it, the game today is practically a watered down version of what basketball is supposed to be. A player can not dribble once from halfcourt to the basket and not be called for traveling. The NBA and its refs have altered the way basketball is officiated to be more what's visually pleasing than actually going by the rules of the game.

Actually Klomp men care far more about the WNBA than Women. The main demographic watching the WNBA is older men who like it for fundamentals. However, Men and women both still care far more about the NBA than the WNBA. If you want to declare Lindsay the first on your Mt. Rushmore of Minnesota Basketball you are totally welcome to do so. She played HS, College and Professional basketball here incredibly successfully. To me and I would think most people KG was more impactful on the Minnesota Hoops scene and yes KG would even today well into his retirement destroy Lindsay in a game of one on one and that does mean something.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Klomp » Sat May 26, 2018 4:48 am

Maya Moore is an ASSASSIN!

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Klomp » Sat Jun 2, 2018 2:53 am

I might be a little concerned....

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,197

Post#20 » by Neeva » Sat Jun 2, 2018 3:15 am

Whalen, brunson etc should have retired after last season.
Time to tank for a few years and get Maya some decent talent for her final five seasons.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves