Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Re: Wiggins and OKC pick for Love? 

Post#21 » by yawner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 pm

HitmanCapone wrote:
yawner wrote:Please, no.

Whatsmore, I wouldn´t even make a Dieng x Love trade.

If the Cavs would do a Love / Dieng trade I'd be all over it. Adds outside shooting and rebounding, still would look to bring in a defensive Center ( DeAndre Jordan) & a defensive 3 & D wing( Avery Bradley). It's not a very likely scenario however I'd love the team as a whole. My personal #1 offseason target is landing Jordan to play the 5 and move KAT to the 4 until he is ready for the defensive capabilities of a 5

Dieng has 3 point shooting as well, although not as developed as Love´s, of course. And is a better defensive player (not as harmful in the defensive end, at least). I yet have imprinted on my mind, how Love used to move away from opponent´s backcourt player´s path, when they got in the paint to score. All for the purposes of avoiding to commit fouls, and wait for the rebound in case the opponent player failed to score. Dieng is not a good defensive player, but at least, I don´t know, is big and long as to be able to intimidate. And as horrible as his salary is, he gets almost 10 million of dolars per year less than Love.

And Love would not want to play coming off the bench. Just imagine how terrible the defence would be with Love and Towns playing together. I would rather see Bjelica playing alongside Towns. Those were some of the best moments of the season.

I don´t want DeAndre Jordan on the team. Having Gibson is more than enough to help Towns defend the paint. He has played fantastically and he even has developed some 3 point shooting although it hasn´t been used much, sadly.

Bradley would be a great addition. The Wolves needs a third wing who can play heavy minutes. Problem is, there is not much the Wolves can do to get him, unless a sign and trade is done as a mean to give him a bigger salary than other franchises without much cap space can offer. A Bradley x Dieng + pick20 would be very nice. I don´t think it will happen, though.

KAT needs to keep playing center. A center capable of shooting 3´s from anywhere on the court, fast and skilled enough to get to the basket with the ball from the three point line, pass the ball... Is a real pain in the ass for the opponent´s defence. Problem is, Tom Thibodeau doesn´t make plays for him to be as deadly as he could.

Fire Tom Thibodeau.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,945

Post#22 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:I'm telling each and everyone of you pro-trade Wiggins guys that if the Wolves do, every commentator and blogger will be writing:

"Just imagine how much better the Timberwolves would be if they didn't give away Wiggins. I guess that's why they are the Timberwolves."

I mean is there anything more "Timberwolves" than trading away Wiggins so he can spend his prime with another team?

There is certainly a part of me that thinks about that. It's why I'd be extra cautious about trading him for the proper return.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:07 pm

yawner wrote:I don´t want DeAndre Jordan on the team. Having Gibson is more than enough to help Towns defend the paint. He has played fantastically and he even has developed some 3 point shooting although it hasn´t been used much, sadly.

KAT needs to keep playing center. A center capable of shooting 3´s from anywhere on the court, fast and skilled enough to get to the basket with the ball from the three point line, pass the ball... Is a real pain in the ass for the opponent´s defence.

I go back and forth on this. One hand, I disagree that a 33-year old Gibson is more than enough defensive help in the paint against guys 30-40 pounds stronger than both of them. However, I also wonder if Towns would still be as big a liability at PF.

On offense, I think he can be just as dominant at either position. At PF, he's more likely to get his ass in the post to take advantage of mismatches, while playing more C could cause him to float on the perimeter more often because he's not strong enough inside yet.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

yawner
Sophomore

Post#24 » by yawner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Klomp wrote:
yawner wrote:I don´t want DeAndre Jordan on the team. Having Gibson is more than enough to help Towns defend the paint. He has played fantastically and he even has developed some 3 point shooting although it hasn´t been used much, sadly.

KAT needs to keep playing center. A center capable of shooting 3´s from anywhere on the court, fast and skilled enough to get to the basket with the ball from the three point line, pass the ball... Is a real pain in the ass for the opponent´s defence.

I go back and forth on this. One hand, I disagree that a 33-year old Gibson is more than enough defensive help in the paint against guys 30-40 pounds stronger than both of them. However, I also wonder if Towns would still be as big a liability at PF.

On offense, I think he can be just as dominant at either position. At PF, he's more likely to get his ass in the post to take advantage of mismatches, while playing more C could cause him to float on the perimeter more often because he's not strong enough inside yet.

Gibson has done an excellent job this season. It is true that age matters, but as for now, looks like he is doing great. And it would have been better if Thibodeau had given him more rest and had used the bench players wisely. Bjelica, for instance.

It is true that there are bigs bigger and stronger than them. But it is also true, that those bigmen are not many nor much useful nowadays, due to having nearly all the teams in the NBA trying to play small. In fact, the Wolves is one of the exceptions. KAT is great playing center, because having a starting5 capable of shooting threes, would be outstanding. Problem is, Thibodeau; again. The offence system is nonexistent.

Since Towns is quicker and more skilled than most of the centers, and since PF´s are quicker than centers, in my opinion it is easier for him to overcome centers than PF´s, who can be faster than he is. On the other hand, it will allways be more difficult for a center to go to the three point line to defend KAT, than it is for a PF. And the paint would be less crowded of defenders, if the defending center is out near the three point line. Then again, with a proper offence system, with a system with which the skills of the players are well used, it would be easier for everybody to score. (And I personally would enjoy watching the team play, instead of taking naps).

On the defensive end, I think that because all the teams are trying to play smallball, KAT would struggle much more defending wings that play 4, as well as defending wings in defensive changes, than defending bigmen.

Perhaps it may seem to you that Towns float too much on the perimeter, due to having Gibson occupaying the paint.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:35 pm

yawner wrote:It is true that there are bigs bigger and stronger than them. But it is also true, that those bigmen are not many nor much useful nowadays, due to having nearly all the teams in the NBA trying to play small.

About 1/3rd of the league has them as key players, and most of them are young and will be useful for a long time going forward. Off the top of my head....

Adams
Jordan
Drummond
Gasol
Cousins
Embiid
Nurkic
Jokic
Gobert

Add a few more from the current draft class too. When you play against most of these players 3-4 times a season, it is frustrating to basically chalk most of these as a loss in the paint, when that's supposed to be the biggest area of strength for the team with someone like Towns.

yawner
Sophomore

Post#26 » by yawner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Klomp wrote:
yawner wrote:It is true that there are bigs bigger and stronger than them. But it is also true, that those bigmen are not many nor much useful nowadays, due to having nearly all the teams in the NBA trying to play small.

About 1/3rd of the league has them as key players, and most of them are young and will be useful for a long time going forward. Off the top of my head....

Adams
Jordan
Drummond
Gasol
Cousins
Embiid
Nurkic
Jokic
Gobert

Add a few more from the current draft class too. When you play against most of these players 3-4 times a season, it is frustrating to basically chalk most of these as a loss in the paint, when that's supposed to be the biggest area of strength for the team with someone like Towns.

It is true that there are very good and big centers. But 1/3rd is not that much and it yet has to be seen how the new rookies perform.

I´m sceptic about Jordan and Nurkic. This summer will be seen how valueable they really are. Gasol is 33 years old, although is smart and skilled, and should perform well for another few years yet. Cousins is a great player, but he has suffered a huge injury. Hope he comes back to be the great player he was before.

I would say that the more dangerous one´s are Drummond who seems to have improved, Gobert, Embiid, Jokic and Adams.

Also, it has to be taken into account that there are players that are very useful during the regular season, but aren´t in playoffs. And I don´t know if Drummond might be one of those players, considering his unreliability from the free throw line. Although it seems to have improved.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves