Wolves select Josh Okogie

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Re: Wolves select Josh Okogie 

Post#141 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Klomp wrote:
Rookie-Mistake wrote:This guy surely isn't 19? He looks about 30! Born in Nigeria as well, I smell something fishy

CONTROVERSY!

Okogie’s journey to this moment might be traced back to the one when Pius and Anthonia Okogie received green cards to move to the U.S. from Nigeria through a lottery administered by the State Department. Josh was about 3-1/2 years old, Pius said Thursday as the first picks of the draft were being made.

“Two years and nine months,” Anthonia corrected.

In America, their fourth child developed a passion for basketball. In middle school, he woke at 5 a.m. to work on his skills with a trainer before going to school. During holiday breaks, he worked out twice a day.

“He loved basketball,” Pius said. “Apart from school, the next thing is basketball.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/josh-okogie-drafted-just-the-best-moment-life-far/bA06pMBxlVTefYhUe16GoK/

Okogie at age 7:
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#142 » by minimus » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:15 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:Okogie at age 7:

At age 7, his face is the same as now... :o
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Re: RE: Re: Wolves select Josh Okogie 

Post#143 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 pm

Neeva wrote:Whoa that photo doesn’t even look real
It really doesn't look real. Almost like stretching out a Gumby.

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
minimus
RealGM

Post#144 » by minimus » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:51 pm

What does Tony Allen now? He might be a perfect mentor for Okogie for vetmin. Tony could teach Josh those little nuances how to play defense. Also our coaching staff needs to find individual shooting coach for this rookie.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,200

Post#145 » by Neeva » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Pretty sure that’s a photo of him in high school since he went to shiloh high school
minimus wrote:

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,904

Post#146 » by AirP. » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 am

PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#147 » by PerkinsFor3 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:58 am

Neeva wrote:Pretty sure that’s a photo of him in high school since he went to shiloh high school
minimus wrote:

Nopee, really him at age 7, as he already knew where he'd end up in HS. There's probably a few pics of him at age 8 wearing Timberwolves gear as well.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#148 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:28 am

PerkinsFor3 wrote:
Neeva wrote:Pretty sure that’s a photo of him in high school since he went to shiloh high school
minimus wrote:

Nopee, really him at age 7, as he already knew where he'd end up in HS. There's probably a few pics of him at age 8 wearing Timberwolves gear as well.

Sounds about right.
minimus
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Wolves select Josh Okogie 

Post#149 » by minimus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:26 am

PerkinsFor3 wrote:There's probably a few pics of him at age 8 wearing Timberwolves gear as well.

That seems to be a destiny!
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#150 » by LibertyPrime » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:33 am

PerkinsFor3 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Rookie-Mistake wrote:This guy surely isn't 19? He looks about 30! Born in Nigeria as well, I smell something fishy

CONTROVERSY!

Okogie’s journey to this moment might be traced back to the one when Pius and Anthonia Okogie received green cards to move to the U.S. from Nigeria through a lottery administered by the State Department. Josh was about 3-1/2 years old, Pius said Thursday as the first picks of the draft were being made.

“Two years and nine months,” Anthonia corrected.

In America, their fourth child developed a passion for basketball. In middle school, he woke at 5 a.m. to work on his skills with a trainer before going to school. During holiday breaks, he worked out twice a day.

“He loved basketball,” Pius said. “Apart from school, the next thing is basketball.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/josh-okogie-drafted-just-the-best-moment-life-far/bA06pMBxlVTefYhUe16GoK/

Okogie at age 7:

He had a mustache at age 7?!?
Spoiler:
:lol:

In all seriousness, can't wait to see this guy and KBD in summer league.
"The last domino falls here!"
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#151 » by LibertyPrime » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:34 am

double-posty
"The last domino falls here!"
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#152 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:57 pm

minimus wrote:What does Tony Allen now? He might be a perfect mentor for Okogie for vetmin. Tony could teach Josh those little nuances how to play defense. Also our coaching staff needs to find individual shooting coach for this rookie.

Why pay for Allen? Butler is the guy to teach him. Lets get a Jimmy Clone, in case the real one walks.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#153 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Reading the Strib and other stories about our new Wolves, they keep saying that we needed 3 point shooting, and defense, and we got both with the draft choices. Diop shot 35% and Josh 38%. Do we think they will become great shooters or even good shooters from the NBA line?
Am I missing something? That seems just about average, and the way the league is going, 40% should start to become the norm. Right?
minimus
RealGM

Post#154 » by minimus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:51 pm

AirP. wrote:

He looks like young Jimmy!!!
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#155 » by CP1981 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:25 pm

His situation in college was a lot like KCP. Asked to do too much on bad teams. I think he will get minutes just off his defense and energy alone. Any offense he gives will be a plus
minimus
RealGM

Post#156 » by minimus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:40 pm

CP1981 wrote:His situation in college was a lot like KCP. Asked to do too much on bad teams. I think he will get minutes just off his defense and energy alone. Any offense he gives will be a plus

Thats interesting. So there is a hope that with individual development plan + NBA coaching + NBA trainer he can focus on developing specific skills.

As for me I would say that top priorities are:

1) spot-up shooting, adding range and consistency
2) off ball movement and finishing at rim. while I am impressed with his jumping ability there is a big room for improvement as slasher
3) learning team defense.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,437

Post#157 » by Calinks » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:09 pm

He's got the physical tools but it will really come down to whats going on between his ears. Hopefully he's a nut like a Jimmy Butler or KG. Someone who takes the game almost too seriously and wants to kill the opponents. We need players with some dog in them, that's what set Lavine apart in my eyes. He had killer instinct right away, he desperately wants to be great. That can carry you a long way.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#158 » by CP1981 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:28 pm

minimus wrote:
CP1981 wrote:His situation in college was a lot like KCP. Asked to do too much on bad teams. I think he will get minutes just off his defense and energy alone. Any offense he gives will be a plus

Thats interesting. So there is a hope that with individual development plan + NBA coaching + NBA trainer he can focus on developing specific skills.

2) off ball movement and finishing at rim. while I am impressed with his jumping ability there is a big room for improvement as slasher

His poor finishing at the rim is the most baffling thing about his game. With his length and jumping ability he should be a lot better in that area

I have to look it up but I think he was good in catch and shoot situations but bad with shooting off the dribble
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#159 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:04 pm

CP1981 wrote:
minimus wrote:

His poor finishing at the rim is the most baffling thing about his game. With his length and jumping ability he should be a lot better in that area

I have to look it up but I think he was good in catch and shoot situations but bad with shooting off the dribble

He was extremely good off of catch and shoot.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#160 » by Killboard » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:18 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
CP1981 wrote:
minimus wrote:

He was extremely good off of catch and shoot.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves