Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: Trade Talk 

Post#1001 » by mplsfonz23 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:57 pm

GI_Slow wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
GI_Slow wrote:Love makes sense only after a buyout, can't really afford to have him and Towns with big contracts in the current NBA, that said, if Love is still who we think he is, would be an actual great fit with KAT as he's strongly developing his defense. Think about it, it helps with spacing, he is a very good passer for his position (as is KAT), would actually help getting the rebound when Towns contests the shot and it would probably increase our fastbreak points with his licensed full court passes.

You really think Cavs would buy him out? He's owed 31 mil per for 4 more years. Why would he take less to come here? He's stuck with Cleveland.
And did you say developing defense? Love ain't got it, never has and never will.
He is shooting 32% from 3 point range and like 37% from the floor. Not sure he will help space anyone. His biggest assets were his 3 pointer, rebounding, and outlet passing. I think he still may possess one of those 3.

I meant KAT is developing his defense, Love is who he is at this point, but having Towns beside him with Covington seems like an ideal scenario for him to be hidden on defense. Plus Kevin while being capable of shooting, used to work on the box a lot more than just standing around the 3pt line, in Cleveland they took away that part of his game completely so LeBron had space to operate.

And yeah that contract is huge as it is, it's so big that I can't see a competent NBA team looking to trade for it, so maybe in a year or two he's probably gonna be looking at a buy out.

I can't see a buyout. He's going to be aged by then, and unless they pay him close to the FULL amount, I can't see him taking a buyout. Bet his agent won't let him. Love's ship has sailed. He was pissed when we didn't offer him the max. He aint coming back. Which is good IMO.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,602

Post#1002 » by shrink » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:11 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
IMO, we need to do Taj and Rose a solid at the deadline, and work with what we have.
To the Lakers for 2019 and 2021 frps. Not sure Rose would consider that a solid though. Rose was wearing that Chicago hat in the interview after Thibs got canned. Maybe he wants to go home. Send Lavine back. :lol: I really don't want Rose to leave here. As a fan of hard workers in games I cherish players like that, plus his elite skills.

I really like Rose as well, but as a GM and not a FAN, I just don't see him staying healthy for the whole year plus if he keeps up solid play, he's going to want a payday. He was here because Thibs gave him a chance out of loyalty, and Rose took advantage. I think he likes Ryan, be they don't have the same level of coach/player that Towns and Wiggins do.
He could net us a nice FRP or a decent rookie in return.
I would sent TAJ because he deserves a chance to actually win something. He won't get that here. (At least not for a while)

In general, I agree with your view that guys on expiring contracts are looking for a big pay day, especially when they are 30 or older. Derrick Rose may be one of the few exceptions.

Derrick Rose got paid very early in his career. In fact, the extra 5% of the cap home teams can give to young stars is nicknamed the Derrick Rose Rule. The CBA felt that there had to be exceptions for a guy that wins the MVP, but his max deal is less than others simply because he performed so young! More importantly, Rose got a lifetime deal from Adidas, I believe for $150 mil, which only continues to pay him as long as he stays in he league.

For Derrick, I think his opportunity matters a lot more than the money. He has so much money now, he is concerned about his legacy. He has a lot of red on his ledger, like the scandal with the young woman, and the way he has quit on teams. Almost everyone was a doubter when he came here, including most posters on the boards. Rather than a bigger paycheck, I feel he wants redemption.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,842

Post#1003 » by life_saver » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:45 pm

What's this obsession with Kevin Love lol? He is not a need & also won't be a good fit for our current roster + he has had a lot of injury problems recently + also on a max contract.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#1004 » by mplsfonz23 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:04 pm

upriser7 wrote:What's this obsession with Kevin Love lol? He is not a need & also won't be a good fit for our current roster + he has had a lot of injury problems recently + also on a max contract.
Just a few posters that's all. No obsession. Same goes for Rubio. Just about everybody wanted him gone when he was the worst shooter in the NBA. Maybe history.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#1005 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:38 pm

With Clint Capela out for maybe 6 Weeks I'm surprised there is no talk about sending Taj or Dieng to the Rockets. They have nobody to replace him. Are we willing to take on something horrific like Chriss or Knight to get a Draft pick? Taj to the Rockets seems like a match made in heaven.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#1006 » by SmokeyPaw » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 pm

KGdaBom wrote:With Clint Capela out for maybe 6 Weeks I'm surprised there is no talk about sending Taj or Dieng to the Rockets. They have nobody to replace him. Are we willing to take on something horrific like Chriss or Knight to get a Draft pick? Taj to the Rockets seems like a match made in heaven.

Knight is owed 15m next year and is terrible. Hard to see houston adding enough incentive to get past that. One first doesnt cut it with our salary situation.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#1007 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:26 pm

SmokeyPaw wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:With Clint Capela out for maybe 6 Weeks I'm surprised there is no talk about sending Taj or Dieng to the Rockets. They have nobody to replace him. Are we willing to take on something horrific like Chriss or Knight to get a Draft pick? Taj to the Rockets seems like a match made in heaven.

Knight is owed 15m next year and is terrible. Hard to see houston adding enough incentive to get past that. One first doesnt cut it with our salary situation.

Than make it two FRPs :D . Or can we get an expiring and an FRP? I think the Rockets have a big need that Taj would fill pretty well. I think we would have the leverage as they like to say. We trade Taj we can fill in for him nicely with Dario, Gorgui, and Tolliver. Or Gorgui for Knight and an FRP.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,602

Post#1008 » by shrink » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
SmokeyPaw wrote:

Than make it two FRPs :D . Or can we get an expiring and an FRP? I think the Rockets have a big need that Taj would fill pretty well. I think we would have the leverage as they like to say. We trade Taj we can fill in for him nicely with Dario, Gorgui, and Tolliver.

I had the same thought, even before the Capella injury.

That late HOU 2019 1st might not be enough simply to trade Brandon Knight’s $15.6 mil 2nd year for a non-productive expiring. Taj is worth more than that, particularly to them. However, getting the 2021 included would probably take more. Would you be willing to include Rose?

Taj and Rose for Knight and Chriss (expiring) plus HOU 2019 and 2021 1st, both top 10 protected?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#1009 » by TaylorTag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:03 pm

why should we be helping the Rockets right now? We need at least one or two West teams to crater if we hope to make the playoffs. If the Rockets are on the verge of that, we shouldn't be giving them a lifeline
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,914

Post#1010 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:I don't want to single anyone here out, but we stop already with the Rubio and Love talk?
When Rubio was here, I heard nonstop complaining about his broke ass jump shot, and him not being able to finish at the rim. Hell most times he wasn't even guarded. I doubt he takes less to come here.

If Thibs was still here, I'd absolutely agree. But Ryan and Ricky had a good relationship and he liked it here, so I don't see why he wouldn't have some interest.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,842

Post#1011 » by life_saver » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:20 am

Mavs want to move DSJ. How about Tyus + FRP for DSJ? We need a longterm PG...Tyus is pretty good for a backup PG but I don't think he will ever become starter in this league. With both KAT, Wiggins max contracts, we don't really have much chances of signing a good PG as FA. DSJ still has flaws but he has pretty good potential, I feel like he's worth a shot.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,793

Post#1012 » by beeshma » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:53 am

upriser7 wrote:Mavs want to move DSJ. How about Tyus + FRP for DSJ? We need a longterm PG...Tyus is pretty good for a backup PG but I don't think he will ever become starter in this league. With both KAT, Wiggins max contracts, we don't really have much chances of signing a good PG as FA. DSJ still has flaws but he has pretty good potential, I feel like he's worth a shot.

I love this idea! DSJ could become a Jrue Holiday type of player who can be a 3 and D guy, but also facilitate the offense a little bit.

But not sure Dallas bites. Wouldn't they want a starter to pair with Luka? Tyus's strength is his floor game, so Dallas does not need that from him except in the backup PG role.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,961

Post#1013 » by Domejandro » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:09 am

beeshma wrote:
upriser7 wrote:Mavs want to move DSJ. How about Tyus + FRP for DSJ? We need a longterm PG...Tyus is pretty good for a backup PG but I don't think he will ever become starter in this league. With both KAT, Wiggins max contracts, we don't really have much chances of signing a good PG as FA. DSJ still has flaws but he has pretty good potential, I feel like he's worth a shot.

I love this idea! DSJ could become a Jrue Holiday type of player who can be a 3 and D guy, but also facilitate the offense a little bit.

But not sure Dallas bites. Wouldn't they want a starter to pair with Luka? Tyus's strength is his floor game, so Dallas does not need that from him except in the backup PG role.

What? Dennis Smith Jr. is among the worst defensive Point-Guards in the League and is horribly turnover prone.
post0115
Junior
And1: 35

Post#1014 » by post0115 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:04 pm

I really like Dennis Smith, but you probably have to include Okogie to get the deal done.

MN In: Dennis Smith, Wes Matthews, Maxi Kleber
MN Out/Dal In: Okogie, Teague, Tolliver
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#1015 » by minimus » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:00 pm

Domejandro wrote:
beeshma wrote:

What? Dennis Smith Jr. is among the worst defensive Point-Guards in the League and is horribly turnover prone.

Agree. We need to avoid low BB IQ players.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#1016 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:29 pm

I'd take Dennis Smith, but I think I'd have a hard time giving anything of significant value for him.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#1017 » by Dewey » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Dennis Smith Jr is an immature athlete at this stage - prolly not a great fit for a team like the Wolves who are working to build better team chemistry post Thib
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#1018 » by Norseman79 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Tough spot for the Wolves to be in right now, not sure to be buyers or sellers...meaning, they are a fringe playoff team and should be buying...except, their core is young, they have a new coach, and want to grow and build a solid future...so they should be selling.

Teague, Jones, Rose, Covington, Saric, Dieng, Gibson, Tolliver - all could go, all could stay....

Wiggins, Okoge are not going anywhere unless a no brain offer comes in.

Towns is totally untouchable.

The Wolves certainly are not good enough to win a championship this year, but they could make a playoff push. That being said, what is the trade-off? Can we take advantage of a team like the Lakers or other fringe teams that may be desperate enough to unload a young player for a more experienced vet? Will a guy like Brandon Ingram become available for Rose and Gibson?
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#1019 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Klomp wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:I don't want to single anyone here out, but we stop already with the Rubio and Love talk?
When Rubio was here, I heard nonstop complaining about his broke ass jump shot, and him not being able to finish at the rim. Hell most times he wasn't even guarded. I doubt he takes less to come here.

If Thibs was still here, I'd absolutely agree. But Ryan and Ricky had a good relationship and he liked it here, so I don't see why he wouldn't have some interest.

They may have a good one. But the fact is Rubio STILL cannot shoot or finish at the rim. Doubt if Ryan has a fix for that.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#1020 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:23 pm

post0115 wrote:I really like Dennis Smith, but you probably have to include Okogie to get the deal done.

MN In: Dennis Smith, Wes Matthews, Maxi Kleber
MN Out/Dal In: Okogie, Teague, Tolliver

Nope!
Layden would be fired. DSJ is a knuckle head. I wouldn't swap Tyus for him str8 up.
Plus he's always seems to be injured.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves