post0115
Junior
And1: 35

Re: Trade Talk 

Post#1801 » by post0115 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:57 am

How about this Mem/MN Trade?

MN Out/Mem In: Wiggins, Dieng, #11
MN In/Mem Out: Conley, A.Bradley

Trade Teague in a separate trade. Maybe trade him to the Suns for Tyler Johnson.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,197

Post#1802 » by Neeva » Tue May 21, 2019 1:00 am

wesleyt95 wrote:
Neeva wrote:We should be giving 11 away for a positive youngish player now two players at the very tail end of their careers lol
And wiggs will turn it around in toronto we all know that. It’s minnesota luck.

Yea but
Lowry-Okogie-Roco-Ibaka-Towns
Jones- 11th- Reynolds-KBD-2rp-Dieng and other veteran pieces probably makes us a top 3 seed

What good is that when Lowry will choke in the playoffs.
If they are givjng away 11th, okogie, saric it better be for a better package.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#1803 » by SO_MONEY » Tue May 21, 2019 1:09 am

KGdaBom wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:The positive value is dumping Wiggins.
It isn't if you are taking back Lowry.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Lowry was sensational for the first half of this season and his play fell off over the second half. Wiggins play other than a game here a game there was bad all year. Who's contract is longer?
Meh.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#1804 » by MN7725 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:03 am

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:Lonzo is not my cup of tea, but I thought this trade was interesting, so I brought it over to discuss:

Texas Chuck wrote:I'm trading Lonzo+4 for Robert Covington+2020 Minny 1st (top 10, top 8, top 5, 2 2nds)

I intentionally chose the future pick <over the #11> for the following reasons:

1. That player will not help this year
2. that much more cap space this year
2. That pick will be a better trade asset for the Lakers

I've thought some about Lonzo too. Interesting idea,

It will be interesting how “win now” teams like LAL and NYK (assuming Durant) will be in a presumably more open league if Durant leaves GSW

R-Cov on that contract is about as attractive a non-star piece as there is for a contending team, might be able to fetch that high of a pick

Big picture, Wolves just flat out need better guards and don’t have much of a chance of getting meaningfully better ones in next couple years: capped out, any draft pick will take years to develop, etc.

If Wolves can’t get better guard play it will be tough to become more than a first round exit team while KAT is under contract

For all R-Cov brings as a complementary player, it’s somewhat moot without better guard play on Wolves

Not interested in this type of trade to go into rebuild mode but instead to get the ammo for the next star-caliber guard/wing that will inevitably become available in a trade

Hard to see another way Wolves can improve their guard play otherwise in next 2-3 years
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Post#1805 » by Grubie024 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:27 am

MN7725 wrote:It will be interesting how “win now” teams like LAL and NYK (assuming Durant) will be in a presumably more open league if Durant leaves GSW

R-Cov on that contract is about as attractive a non-star piece as there is for a contending team, might be able to fetch that high of a pick

Big picture, Wolves just flat out need better guards and don’t have much of a chance of getting meaningfully better ones in next couple years: capped out, any draft pick will take years to develop, etc.

If Wolves can’t get better guard play it will be tough to become more than a first round exit team while KAT is under contract

For all R-Cov brings as a complementary player, it’s somewhat moot without better guard play on Wolves

Not interested in this type of trade to go into rebuild mode but instead to get the ammo for the next star-caliber guard/wing that will inevitably become available in a trade

Hard to see another way Wolves can improve their guard play otherwise in next 2-3 years

You're right- PG situation is a major concern, but I'm 100% against trading RoCo for picks unless it's a no brainer overpay or #1 (Zion).
RoCo, on that contract, is just too valuable. Just like every elite team needs a solid PG, every elite team needs a dependable wing, and Wiggins ain't it. Matter of fact, Wolves' contract situation makes RoCo's value deal that much more important.
MN7725
Veteran

Post#1806 » by MN7725 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:50 am

Grubie024 wrote:
MN7725 wrote:It will be interesting how “win now” teams like LAL and NYK (assuming Durant) will be in a presumably more open league if Durant leaves GSW

You're right- PG situation is a major concern, but I'm 100% against trading RoCo for picks unless it's a no brainer overpay or #1 (Zion).
RoCo, on that contract, is just too valuable. Just like every elite team needs a solid PG, every elite team needs a dependable wing, and Wiggins ain't it. Matter of fact, Wolves' contract situation makes RoCo's value deal that much more important.

I don’t mean necessarily PG, more broadly mean perimeter creator, could be guard or wing

But regardless a player with R-Cov’s elite complementary skill set can only do so much without that type of perimeter offensive talent, it’s essentially the same issue that Philly had in 2018 playoffs which led to R-Cov being benched last couple games in favor of TJ McConnell vs Boston

I don’t want to trade R-Cov for all the obvious reasons, but it’s one of few paths Wolves have to get the perimeter creator needed
Grubie024
Junior

Post#1807 » by Grubie024 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:09 am

MN7725 wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:

I don’t mean necessarily PG, more broadly mean perimeter creator, could be guard or wing

But regardless a player with R-Cov’s elite complementary skill set can only do so much without that type of perimeter offensive talent, it’s essentially the same issue that Philly had in 2018 playoffs which led to R-Cov being benched last couple games in favor of TJ McConnell vs Boston

I don’t want to trade R-Cov for all the obvious reasons, but it’s one of few paths Wolves have to get the perimeter creator needed

You've got a good point- creation off perimeter is a must, even with KAT being so tough to stop. We don't have that guy on our team right now I don think.
I just think if we ever get to the point where we are serious contenders, we have to have RoCo or a player just like him, so why get rid of him unless we get a kings ransom. Sounds like we're pretty much in agreement though.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#1808 » by Krapinsky » Tue May 21, 2019 3:25 am

Grubie024 wrote:
MN7725 wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:You're right- PG situation is a major concern, but I'm 100% against trading RoCo for picks unless it's a no brainer overpay or #1 (Zion).

You've got a good point- creation off perimeter is a must, even with KAT being so tough to stop. We don't have that guy on our team right now I don think.
I just think if we ever get to the point where we are serious contenders, we have to have RoCo or a player just like him, so why get rid of him unless we get a kings ransom. Sounds like we're pretty much in agreement though.

Why i'd love to make sure we get Carsen Edwards in the draft.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#1809 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 am

Krapinsky wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:
MN7725 wrote:

He's exciting, but not efficient. I want him too, but not without reservations.
MN7725
Veteran

Post#1810 » by MN7725 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:46 am

Grubie024 wrote:
MN7725 wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:You're right- PG situation is a major concern, but I'm 100% against trading RoCo for picks unless it's a no brainer overpay or #1 (Zion).

Right

I’ll use Brad Beal as an example since I believe he is the caliber of offensive player (can use whatever player you think would be worth it)

Wolves don’t have enticing package if Beal wanted trade, R-Cov has limited use for rebuilding team

R-Cov is hugely useful to LBJ or Durant team, maybe enough to get top 5 pick/drafted player, not sure maybe not

Then Wolves have a chip presumably attractive to a team like WAS in that scenario (and assuming that Wolves control of player long-term)

Perfect world, Wolves can get that type of player and keep R-Cov, but hard to see that happening.

But I’m pretty confident Wolves won’t go anywhere meaningful (win playoff series) while they have KAT unless they get that type of perimeter offensive talent, so anything has to be on the table including trading very valuable player like R-Cov

Just the way it is
Grubie024
Junior

Post#1811 » by Grubie024 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:59 am

MN7725 wrote:Right

I’ll use Brad Beal as an example since I believe he is the caliber of offensive player (can use whatever player you think would be worth it)

Wolves don’t have enticing package if Beal wanted trade, R-Cov has limited use for rebuilding team

R-Cov is hugely useful to LBJ or Durant team, maybe enough to get top 5 pick/drafted player, not sure maybe not

Then Wolves have a chip presumably attractive to a team like WAS in that scenario (and assuming that Wolves control of player long-term)

Perfect world, Wolves can get that type of player and keep R-Cov, but hard to see that happening.

But I’m pretty confident Wolves won’t go anywhere meaningful (win playoff series) while they have KAT unless they get that type of perimeter offensive talent, so anything has to be on the table including trading very valuable player like R-Cov

Just the way it is

Yeah unfortunately we do need RoCo on the table considering the dearth of quality players on the roster.
Sure would help if we didn't get sh** on in the lottery every time. Hoping Rosas can uncover a gem at 11! There will be one out there, just have to find him.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#1812 » by SmokeyPaw » Tue May 21, 2019 5:48 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:You've got a good point- creation off perimeter is a must, even with KAT being so tough to stop. We don't have that guy on our team right now I don think.

Ben Rubin over at thestepien has an interesting take on him (actually 2 articles). He's less concerned about his efficiency given he shot so many unassisted off the dribble. Also thinks the key is a team that will let him shoot deep threes ala steph.

Trading down would be interesting if we could pick up one of the pfs and carsen. I suspect he goes in the 20s somewhere.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#1813 » by SBM » Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 am

shrink wrote:
SBM wrote:Teague+Wiggins for Ibaka and Lowry.

Would you be willing to include the #11 pick to balance the trade values a bit more?

No, the Wolves are taking back more salary.
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#1814 » by yawner » Tue May 21, 2019 10:55 am

MN7725 wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:
MN7725 wrote:

Right

Just the way it is

100% agree. Covington´s contract and age belong to a serious playoffs team/contender team. The Wolves are a team under construction. By the time the Wolves become a serious team, Covington´s contract and age might not belong to a contender team anymore. What´s more, Covington is one of the few good well-regarded players. And I can see the Lakers, the Clippers or the Knicks giving up assets to get one of the best 3D wings in the league.

The Wolves need a talented guard or wing to be able to be competitive in playoffs. If the Knicks get 2 allstar freeagents plus Davis via trade, a Nkitilina + the 2 Dallas picks for Roco might be an interesting trade. After that, the Wolves could trade those picks and something else for a star if the opportunity shows up.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#1815 » by shangrila » Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 pm

SmokeyPaw wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

Ben Rubin over at thestepien has an interesting take on him (actually 2 articles). He's less concerned about his efficiency given he shot so many unassisted off the dribble. Also thinks the key is a team that will let him shoot deep threes ala steph.

Trading down would be interesting if we could pick up one of the pfs and carsen. I suspect he goes in the 20s somewhere.

Those articles turned me around on Edwards.

However it wasn't his efficiency that I had an issue with. His FT% leads me to believe his 3pt% will be fine in the NBA and his FG%, while very low, should also get an uptick with the increased spacing found in the NBA. It was his assist numbers, both per game and advanced, that worried me. He basically looked like a black hole on paper and while I didn't see that on tape, it did make me think the guy was much much closer to Jimmer than anyone else seemed to think.

But the counter argument was that his shooting and specifically his ability to shoot off the dribble from 30+ ft has such a weight and gravity to it that (along with his screening, which is apparently a strength) it creates additional passing opportunities that wouldn't exist if he weren't on the floor. It's backed up by stats and historical examples and it's almost entirely wiped away my doubts about Carsen.

I still think he's a gunner and likely not much of a pure PG but we need players with that kind of gravity and it's something none of our current PGs offered. If he can competently guard his position I could even see him starting for us...though that is something I do still doubt about him.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#1816 » by jpatrick » Tue May 21, 2019 12:44 pm

I agree with everything said above. The Wolves are in a tough position. The NBA is a perimeter league at the moment and it’ll be tough to win without perimeter creation at an all nba type level. Plus, we are capped out and too good to get top three type picks (thus we hope/pray Wiggins turns it around).

Finally, Roco is about as good of a role player as you’ll find in this league. The ultimate three and D if he can stay healthy. He is infinitely more valuable in a championship level team than a borderline eights seed team.

If Lakers/Knicks strike out on AD, would they give up picks 3 or 4 for him (assuming Knicks get KD, etc)? Would we take that?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#1817 » by Klomp » Tue May 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Building off of that conversation, to me the position this team can make the biggest jump forward is at PG. Nothing against Teague, but he's probably not going to be here longterm. If we can find that piece via trade, even if it includes dealing Covington, I think that's an avenue we need to explore.

I think everyone probably just looks at Mike Conley, but it's not just him. I'm looking at guys like Lonzo Ball and Ben Simmons too. The team needs to look at every possible avenue to improve this team around Karl-Anthony Towns as much as possible.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#1818 » by Slim Tubby » Tue May 21, 2019 6:07 pm

post0115 wrote:How about this Mem/MN Trade?

MN Out/Mem In: Wiggins, Dieng, #11
MN In/Mem Out: Conley, A.Bradley

Trade Teague in a separate trade. Maybe trade him to the Suns for Tyler Johnson.

Personally, I would endorse both trades:

C - KAT/Vet FA
PF - Saric/KBD
SF - RoCo/Johnson
SG - Okogie/Bradley
PG - Conley/Jones
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Danimals
Junior
And1: 74

Post#1819 » by Danimals » Tue May 21, 2019 8:57 pm

I'd like to see Dieng and Saric traded for an expiring not matter how useless. Clear Diengs' final year and avoid overpaying Saric in RFA.
Steph Curry—————Ricky
Michael Jordan———ANT
Lebron James————McDaniels
Kevin Garnett————Love
Nikola Jokic—————KAT
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#1820 » by wesleyt95 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:59 pm

If we’re trying to win now dealing Covington is like taking a step forward and back

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves