Post#1901 » by SBM » Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 am

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Re: Trade Talk 

Post#1902 » by Dewey » Wed May 29, 2019 1:38 pm

SBM wrote:Wiggins and 11 for Love and 26

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y6azon8g

If we draft a SG/SF @ 11, I'd maybe do Wiggins for Love + 26. If Towns was a better defender, I'd be more interested in Love, but as is, we need to add defense to help Towns - That's not Love.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#1903 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Dewey wrote:

If we draft a SG/SF @ 11, I'd maybe do Wiggins for Love + 26. If Towns was a better defender, I'd be more interested in Love, but as is, we need to add defense to help Towns - That's not Love.

So not only does any PF we add have to be a 3 point shooter LOVE. He has to be a great defender. I think we are simply asking for too much. Love is way more useful than Wiggins if he could ever stay healthy. This would be a good deal. Love's help on the DEFENSIVE boards actually makes him a pretty decent defender.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,599

Post#1904 » by shrink » Wed May 29, 2019 1:54 pm

Both are paid $120 mil over 4 years. I have Love as the fifth worst contract in the league, because there is no upside to it (even a healthy, non-aging Love will struggle to provide $30 mil in production), and there is nothing but downside - and it could be significant. I suspect with his age and injury history, Love provides productive games for you for 40% of that contract, and it could be worse.

I have Wiggins as the second worst contract, but when people compare the two, I think it really comes down to your perspective on Wiggins. Do you feel he simply under-performs his contract, or do you feel he actively hurts a team. VORP May suggest the latter, but I lean more toward “18 inefficient points from a swingman is better than nothing.” Both sides have merit.

Anyway, would 30 good games, and 50 games on the bench from Love top 80 mediocre games from Wiggins? And is the gap worth moving the #11?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#1905 » by Dewey » Wed May 29, 2019 3:32 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Dewey wrote:

So not only does any PF we add have to be a 3 point shooter LOVE. He has to be a great defender. I think we are simply asking for too much. Love is way more useful than Wiggins if he could ever stay healthy. This would be a good deal. Love's help on the DEFENSIVE boards actually makes him a pretty decent defender.

I'm not sure who's asking for any PF to be 3-point shooter AND great defender, but if I can gain one or the other I'd swap wiggins ... so as stated, Wiggins for Love + 26 would work for me. Bottom-line: We'd be clowns to throw away our #11 in that deal.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1906 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Dewey wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Dewey wrote:If we draft a SG/SF @ 11, I'd maybe do Wiggins for Love + 26. If Towns was a better defender, I'd be more interested in Love, but as is, we need to add defense to help Towns - That's not Love.

I'm not sure who's asking for any PF to be 3-point shooter AND great defender, but if I can gain one or the other I'd swap wiggins ... so as stated, Wiggins for Love + 26 would work for me. Bottom-line: We'd be clowns to throw away our #11 in that deal.

Love is so much more valuable than Wiggins that the drop from 11-26 would be reasonable. The only reason not to do it is Love's age if it appears he only has a couple years left or if it's believed he will be constantly injured.
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#1907 » by yawner » Wed May 29, 2019 4:05 pm

I don´t see the point of having Love rather than Wiggins in the Wolves. In such a trade, Love should be traded to a third team. If not, you are just trading rotten potatos for putrid watermelons. It has little sense to me.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1908 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 29, 2019 4:27 pm

yawner wrote:I don´t see the point of having Love rather than Wiggins in the Wolves. In such a trade, Love should be traded to a third team. If not, you are just trading rotten potatos for putrid watermelons. It has little sense to me.

Cleveland was tanking last year so they milked any Love injury. When healthy he is still a very good player. Far from a putrid watermelon.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#1909 » by Klomp » Wed May 29, 2019 4:47 pm

yawner wrote:
shrink wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Take out #11 and I would heavily consider it. No need to add #11 in that kind of trade, given his salary.

I wouldn’t touch it, even without the pick. Chris Paul is probably the third worst contract in the nba,

$38,506,482 $41,358,814 $44,211,146

I would trade for him though, if that meant Wiggins was traded away.

I've thought about this potential avenue quite a bit.

I'm aware that Paul is a horrible contract, but I think playing next to Harden and in that iso-heavy system has made him look worse than he actually is right now.

Paul and Towns would be a lethal two-man combo. And I think Paul would be able to elevate the entire roster in a way that I don't believe Wiggins could do. Think about what Jason Kidd did to help the Mavericks win an NBA championship, and that's an example of how I think Paul could affect this team.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1910 » by Klomp » Wed May 29, 2019 4:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
yawner wrote:I don´t see the point of having Love rather than Wiggins in the Wolves. In such a trade, Love should be traded to a third team. If not, you are just trading rotten potatos for putrid watermelons. It has little sense to me.

Cleveland was tanking last year so they milked any Love injury. When healthy he is still a very good player. Far from a putrid watermelon.

But not a good fit here defensively.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

yawner
Sophomore

Post#1911 » by yawner » Wed May 29, 2019 4:53 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Terrible defense. When he played in the Timberwolves, he used to let the guards and forwards shoot the ball in the paint so that he could properly position himself to catch the rebound if the shot missed. Just preposterous. I don´t think he has improved with the passing of the years like the good wine, honestly.
yawner
Sophomore

Post#1912 » by yawner » Wed May 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Klomp wrote:
yawner wrote:
shrink wrote:I wouldn’t touch it, even without the pick. Chris Paul is probably the third worst contract in the nba,

$38,506,482 $41,358,814 $44,211,146

I would trade for him though, if that meant Wiggins was traded away.

I've thought about this potential avenue quite a bit.

I'm aware that Paul is a horrible contract, but I think playing next to Harden and in that iso-heavy system has made him look worse than he actually is right now.

Paul and Towns would be a lethal two-man combo. And I think Paul would be able to elevate the entire roster in a way that I don't believe Wiggins could do. Think about what Jason Kidd did to help the Mavericks win an NBA championship, and that's an example of how I think Paul could affect this team.

Problem is, ¿would Chris Paul accept the trade? I don´t think he would be very happy. Although the fact that Rosas knows him pretty well, might make a big difference in that regard.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1913 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 29, 2019 5:03 pm

yawner wrote:
Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Cleveland was tanking last year so they milked any Love injury. When healthy he is still a very good player. Far from a putrid watermelon.

Terrible defense. When he played in the Timberwolves, he used to let the guards and forwards shoot the ball in the paint so that he could properly position himself to catch the rebound if the shot missed. Just preposterous. I don´t think he has improved with the passing of the years like the good wine, honestly.

Defensive rebounding to me is still the most important aspect of defense. It ends the possession for the opponent. Now doing things to make it less likely they make the shot is important also.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1914 » by Klomp » Wed May 29, 2019 5:08 pm

yawner wrote:Problem is, ¿would Chris Paul accept the trade? I don´t think he would be very happy. Although the fact that Rosas knows him pretty well, might make a big difference in that regard.

I don't believe he has a no-trade clause, so he doesn't really have a choice in the matter. But I would think being able to run the show again and having a big man like Towns would be pretty enticing.

yawner
Sophomore

Post#1915 » by yawner » Wed May 29, 2019 5:19 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
yawner wrote:
Klomp wrote:But not a good fit here defensively.

Defensive rebounding to me is still the most important aspect of defense. It ends the possession for the opponent. Now doing things to make it less likely they make the shot is important also.

Defensive rebounding is really important. But it cannot be done at the cost of letting the opponents shoot without opposition. I don´t like players that care more about their statistics (number of rebounds and double doubles in Love´s case) than winning games.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1916 » by Klomp » Wed May 29, 2019 5:30 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Defensive rebounding to me is still the most important aspect of defense. It ends the possession for the opponent. Now doing things to make it less likely they make the shot is important also.

Exactly, defensive rebounding ability is useless if the opponent makes the shot.

yawner
Sophomore

Post#1917 » by yawner » Wed May 29, 2019 5:36 pm

Klomp wrote:
yawner wrote:Problem is, ¿would Chris Paul accept the trade? I don´t think he would be very happy. Although the fact that Rosas knows him pretty well, might make a big difference in that regard.

I don't believe he has a no-trade clause, so he doesn't really have a choice in the matter. But I would think being able to run the show again and having a big man like Towns would be pretty enticing.

But Butler bad-mouthed Towns mercilessly this season. Towns´ image is very damaged.

If he doesn´t have a no-trade clause could be done, yes. But not only is he an allstar, he is the president of players association, owner of a monstrouos contract and heir of Isildur. Don´t make him angry, he could cause lots of trouble.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#1918 » by Slim Tubby » Wed May 29, 2019 6:32 pm

yawner wrote:
Klomp wrote:

But Butler bad-mouthed Towns mercilessly this season. Towns´ image is very damaged.

If he doesn´t have a no-trade clause could be done, yes. But not only is he an allstar, he is the president of players association, owner of a monstrouos contract and heir of Isildur. Don´t make him angry, he could cause lots of trouble.

In my opinion, the only damage done to anyone's image by Butler's behavior this past year is to Jimmy himself. I think KAT is universally liked around the league but that's just my personal view on the situation.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1919 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Defensive rebounding to me is still the most important aspect of defense. It ends the possession for the opponent. Now doing things to make it less likely they make the shot is important also.

Exactly, defensive rebounding ability is useless if the opponent makes the shot.

Right, but when Love gets 10-20 defensive rebounds there are obviously many occasions when the opponent doesn't make the shot.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1920 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 29, 2019 6:39 pm

yawner wrote:
Klomp wrote:

You don't want to mess with Isildur's Heir. :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves