ImageImageImage

Trade Talk

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Re: Trade Talk 

Post#421 » by packforfreedom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:25 am

I think it's possible that we trade Tyus. It just doesn't seem to work out for him here. now that Rose is playing like a maniac, his playing time is low again, if Rose miss games, Okogie gets his minutes.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#422 » by Worm Guts » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Klomp wrote:I think it's pretty obvious the next step needs to be to clear the glut at PG. We have three guys there who all deserve minutes. While I don't have a problem with playing Rose as the defacto SG, I don't really like that it has to come at the expense of Okogie. While I don't think Okogie needs to just be handed a role without working for it, I do think he's put in the work to where he can contribute as a rotation player on a playoff team.

If Thibs won't consider playing Gibson as a small-ball 5 (no indication this will happen), the weakest spot in the rotation becomes backup 5. Dieng is okay there, but he can be upgraded.

The thing that complicates the situation somewhat is the contract situations of all three PGs. We can't go into next season with all three on the roster, but maybe the glut-clearing will just happen naturally in free agency next summer.

I love the way Derrick Rose has been playing but we do need to realize he's a FA at the end of year who may require a significant raise. We will need to figure out what we are willing to offer and how interested he is in coming back.
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,170

Post#423 » by Tukkerwolf » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think it's pretty obvious the next step needs to be to clear the glut at PG. We have three guys there who all deserve minutes. While I don't have a problem with playing Rose as the defacto SG, I don't really like that it has to come at the expense of Okogie. While I don't think Okogie needs to just be handed a role without working for it, I do think he's put in the work to where he can contribute as a rotation player on a playoff team.

If Thibs won't consider playing Gibson as a small-ball 5 (no indication this will happen), the weakest spot in the rotation becomes backup 5. Dieng is okay there, but he can be upgraded.

The thing that complicates the situation somewhat is the contract situations of all three PGs. We can't go into next season with all three on the roster, but maybe the glut-clearing will just happen naturally in free agency next summer.

I love the way Derrick Rose has been playing but we do need to realize he's a FA at the end of year who may require a significant raise. We will need to figure out what we are willing to offer and how interested he is in coming back.
We're not even allowed to offer him significant money, so I think it would be a mistake to focus on him and let Tyus go while he s an RFA (with full Bird). For as long as KAT is around we have to work with the MLE and drafting so I don't think Rose is a medium to long term solution at the point.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#424 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:47 pm

We have four PGs on the roster and if I understand correctly all four are on expiring contracts. Teague has the choice of extending his contract one year. If he opts out and Rose and Jones get better offers and we let Bayless walk we could be without a PG. I think many here want Teague to opt out. I don't.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#425 » by minimus » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:57 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

We have four PGs on the roster and if I understand correctly all four are on expiring contracts. Teague has the choice of extending his contract one year. If he opts out and Rose and Jones get better offers and we let Bayless walk we could be without a PG. I think many here want Teague to opt out. I don't.
I hope Teague will opt out. Considering that fact that he will decline athletically even more, we can resign him at lower price. Meanwhile I wish that either Tyus finds his shooting touch and we resign him long term or we can somehow trade him as asset. Dieng + Tyus for Ryan Anderson and late FRP might be a good idea.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#426 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:18 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I hope Teague will opt out. Considering that fact that he will decline athletically even more, we can resign him at lower price. Meanwhile I wish that either Tyus finds his shooting touch and we resign him long term or we can somehow trade him as asset. Dieng + Tyus for Ryan Anderson and late FRP might be a good idea.

If he opts in it is just for one more year. He isn't likely to decline athletically much. You actually have the nerve to not only call his athletic decline a fact when he hasn't shown much if any athletic decline yet and use the words even more???

After that one more year we determine if we desire to sign him again and at that point we should consider the possibility of athletic decline. We would not have an option to resign him for less next year. If Teague opts out we could legitimately be in a DESPERATE need of a PG. I also like keeping Teague for continuity. We seem to finally have a great mix of players.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#427 » by shrink » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 pm

Klomp wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:I'd add PF as a second spot in need of clearing. Tolliver is still a solid rotation player and he hasn't gotten any time since Saric arrived. In reality there aren't many minutes for bigs outside of Towns/Gibson/Saric (I don't see much chance of any of them being traded). Dieng is likely sticking around as well since he is tough to move and can backup both PF-C. To me that means that barring an injury Tolliver will be on the block as soon as he is eligible to be traded.

Like I said at PG, the contract situations are worth looking at. Tolliver and Gibson are both expirings. Is whatever we trade them for going to benefit the team enough to make a trade worth it? Or is it better to just take the cap savings and reassess in the offseason?

I think we could pull a non-lotto 1st, trading one of them to a team that needs production, but also needs cap space next year. With half the teams with significant cap space next summer, we'd have lots of options for a team that would like to add even more. By my count, we could afford to take on about $12 mil in payroll.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#428 » by shrink » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:53 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:We have four PGs on the roster and if I understand correctly all four are on expiring contracts. Teague has the choice of extending his contract one year. If he opts out and Rose and Jones get better offers and we let Bayless walk we could be without a PG. I think many here want Teague to opt out. I don't.

If he opts in it is just for one more year. He isn't likely to decline athletically much. You actually have the nerve to not only call his athletic decline a fact when he hasn't shown much if any athletic decline yet and use the words even more???

After that one more year we determine if we desire to sign him again and at that point we should consider the possibility of athletic decline. We would not have an option to resign him for less next year. If Teague opts out we could legitimately be in a DESPERATE need of a PG. I also like keeping Teague for continuity. We seem to finally have a great mix of players.

You are correct, that we could not have any of our four PG's at the end of the season, though I suspect Teague stays.

However, while a desperate need for a PG is possible, there will be a glut in free agency. All the cap space in the system will drive up prices for most free agents, except maybe PG's. I would be a little nervous having no legit starting PG at the start of free agency, but I would be willing to roll those dice if we were to get a nice asset for one of them before the season ended.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#429 » by wesleyt95 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:04 pm

At the end of the day Teague, Tyus and Rose are only band-aid's at the point guard spot; I see us looking at PG's for the long term in the upcoming draft regardless of what we do for those 3 contractually and let at least 1 walk
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#430 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:05 pm

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:I hope Teague will opt out. Considering that fact that he will decline athletically even more, we can resign him at lower price. Meanwhile I wish that either Tyus finds his shooting touch and we resign him long term or we can somehow trade him as asset. Dieng + Tyus for Ryan Anderson and late FRP might be a good idea.

You are correct, that we could not have any of our four PG's at the end of the season, though I suspect Teague stays.

However, while a desperate need for a PG is possible, there will be a glut in free agency. All the cap space in the system will drive up prices for most free agents, except maybe PG's. I would be a little nervous having no legit starting PG at the start of free agency, but I would be willing to roll those dice if we were to get a nice asset for one of them before the season ended.

With Butler gone Teague could have a good enough year that he opts out. It could happen. I hope he opts in. Than we are OK for at least one more season. If disaster strikes and we lose all four PGs I know there will be PGs on the market. I think in that situation we may have to overpay and we lose continuity which I think is important.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#431 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:07 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:At the end of the day Teague, Tyus and Rose are only band-aid's at the point guard spot; I see us looking at PG's for the long term in the upcoming draft regardless of what we do for those 3 contractually and let at least 1 walk

I get where you are coming from because none of them are long term solutions for us at PG. However, right now both Teague and Rose are quality starting level PGs.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#432 » by wesleyt95 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:14 pm

I don't have a problem keeping the Teague and Rose combo for another couple seasons either and going back up center in the draft; they're both 30 but PG definitely isn't a weakness right now
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#433 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:26 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:I don't have a problem keeping the Teague and Rose combo for another couple seasons either and going back up center in the draft; they're both 30 but PG definitely isn't a weakness right now

We might not have the option to go with them for another couple seasons. Teague could opt out and Rose could get a better offer. It's amazing that we have Rose on a vet minimum deal and are paying him less than 2 million.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#434 » by Mattya » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:36 pm

It will be interesting to see what kind of offers Rose gets in FA if he keeps playing well. It would be nice to keep Teague and Rose. Teague would need to settle for a more team friendly deal though.
Tukkerwolf
Starter

Post#435 » by Tukkerwolf » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Mattya wrote:It will be interesting to see what kind of offers Rose gets in FA if he keeps playing well. It would be nice to keep Teague and Rose. Teague would need to settle for a more team friendly deal though.
I think 12-15 M wouldn't be weird. As a 6th man of the year candidate he's worth that. But let's settle down, it's only been a couple of games.
I must agree that I hope Teague opts in. I'm not sure we can get a PG with the MLE that is remotely close to his caliber and I'm a bit worried about with giving Tyus the starting spot...
Neal25
Sophomore
And1: 67

Post#436 » by Neal25 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:18 pm

To put in context, Lou Williams is earning $8 million, it´s quite optimistic thinking Rose can get more than $12 million.

I don´t understand people who say they hope Teague opts in because they´re afraid Thibs overpays a PG in the FA, when Teague for $19 million next season is actually overpaid.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#437 » by wesleyt95 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Neal25 wrote:To put in context, Lou Williams is earning $8 million, it´s quite optimistic thinking Rose can get more than $12 million.

I don´t understand people who say they hope Teague opts in because they´re afraid Thibs overpays a PG in the FA, when Teague for $19 million next season is actually overpaid.

Who better than Teague (Rose too) would sign here in the offseason?
Tukkerwolf
Starter

Post#438 » by Tukkerwolf » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Neal25 wrote:To put in context, Lou Williams is earning $8 million, it´s quite optimistic thinking Rose can get more than $12 million.

Rose is younger a big name and I think there will be a lot of money available this summer...

How can Thibs overpay when there is no money to be paid due to our cap constraints? I wish we could overpay for a Teague replacement.
Tukkerwolf
Starter

Post#439 » by Tukkerwolf » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:41 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:

Who better than Teague (Rose too) would sign here in the offseason?

Unrestricted:
Rubio
Lin
Walker
Collison
Rondo
Bayless
Smith
Joseph
Barea
Payton
Felton
Harris
Rose
Thomas
Canaan
MCW
Frazier
Brown
Burke
McConnell
Dinwiddie
Baldwin

Restricted:
Teodosic
Russell
Mudiay
Payne
Rozier
Grant
Wright
Brogdon

Walker and maybe Brogdon are upgrades but not available. Rubio is not an option. Collison would be a lateral move but Indiana won't let him go. Dinwiddie and Rozier might be worth a gamble for the MLE but no improvement over Teague. All the other players are backups, washed up or busts....
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,772

Post#440 » by life_saver » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:51 pm

If we can somehow find a gem of a PG in this year's draft, then our future is set for atleast 4-5 years but I see chances of that happening is probably <5%. Just trying to be slightly optimistic :)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves