alabamawolf
Senior
And1: 321

Re: Andrew Wiggins and the wolves future 

Post#221 » by alabamawolf » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:06 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:
Kevin Knox. He's the worst shooter in the NBA and maybe the worst offensive player in the league.
Actually according to the stats Knox is currently the worst player that plays regular minutes in the NBA, period.

But there's no player that shoots on the volume of Wiggins who has a lower FG% than Wiggins.

Wow. I thought Knox was going to be a good player.
Wiggins will be an all star next year. :o

Maybe Knox is going to be a good player, he's only 19. But right now he's a college level player who gets free NBA experience.
Knox has a long way to go.

Wiggins an All Star? Can't see that happening. Like suggested, the Timberwolves should trade him to Miami, Memphis or Cleveland.
Would you guys have interest in Conley or Love?

I’d trade him for Conley without hesitation. Conley would at least be a positive when he’s on the court and his contract ends sooner.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#222 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:08 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:
Kevin Knox. He's the worst shooter in the NBA and maybe the worst offensive player in the league.
Actually according to the stats Knox is currently the worst player that plays regular minutes in the NBA, period.

But there's no player that shoots on the volume of Wiggins who has a lower FG% than Wiggins.

Wow. I thought Knox was going to be a good player.
Wiggins will be an all star next year. :o

Maybe Knox is going to be a good player, he's only 19. But right now he's a college level player who gets free NBA experience.
Knox has a long way to go.

Wiggins an All Star? Can't see that happening. Like suggested, the Timberwolves should trade him to Miami, Memphis or Cleveland.
Would you guys have interest in Conley or Love?

Yeah, Wiggins won't be an all star here, but he told KG he was going to be one in 2020, so......
I don't think anyone would trade for Wiggins. We would have to accept some equally bad contract, so I think he stays.
Love's ship has sailed here, and Conley only creates more of a log jam at PG.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#223 » by shrink » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:56 pm

By my count, the four worst contracts in the NBA right now are

John Wall $37,800,000 $40,824,000 $43,848,000 $46,872,000
A Wiggins $27,270,000 $29,290,000 $31,310,000 $33,330,000
Chris Paul $38,506,482 $41,358,814 $44,211,146
KevnLove $28,900,000 $31,300,000 $31,300,000 $28,900,000

With so much money on the line, you need production every night, and whether it’s poor play (Wiggins), or age and injury risk (the others), these longterm deals for over $100 mil are killers. Perhaps swaps between these teams are possible.

The next group are generally poor players, on shorter deals. For me, they include guys like Batum, Gorgui, James Johnson, Dion Waiters, etc. Chandler Parsons falls off my list since he is a $25 mil expiring. He will still be very negative (he could under-perform his contract by $20 mil!), but Dieng could underperform his $33 mil by $20 as well, over two years. Gordon Hayward is another risky deal, and he would go into the top four if his deal wasn’t just two years.

A Wiggins trade might require taking on someon from these lists, to get the other team interested. We would probably still need to add incentive.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#224 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm

shrink wrote:A Wiggins trade might require taking on someon from these lists, to get the other team interested. We would probably still need to add incentive.

I would rather keep Wiggins then to add to any of those deals. He is after all the youngest and healthiest. Just wish we could bring him off the bench. If he wins sixth man award then at least he's doing something.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#225 » by Dewey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:23 pm

RoCo is a wild card right now, but If he's ok to stay, I would be ok moving Wiggins for Conley.
Declutter the PG position by moving Teague/Rose for SG and/or C
Keep Conley/Jones.
Draft BPA ... SG/Center
Draft a magical PG sleeping in the 2nd as out 3rd PG.

Conley/SG/RoCo/KAT/C

Tyus/Okogie/KBD/Saric/C? could be a decent young bench to develop
Gibson, Deng, and Tolliver are likely gone
Stuck with Dieng
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,962

Post#226 » by Domejandro » Sun Apr 7, 2019 1:07 am

Andrew Wiggins has played well over the past couple of weeks.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#227 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sun Apr 7, 2019 2:28 am

Yes. What now?
Domejandro wrote:Andrew Wiggins has played well over the past couple of weeks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#228 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:00 am

Wigs will be an all star next year with KAT

Book it!!
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#229 » by King Malta » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:09 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:Wigs will be an all star next year with KAT

Book it!!

I wish I had your optimism.

Here's a question though, if Roco plays all of next season and KAT and Wigs were both all-stars, where do you see us finishing in the West?

I'm gonna go with 5-6 seed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#230 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:14 am

Book it!!

He may play like an all-star, but I doubt he gets in the game unless we're Top 4 in the West at the time
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#231 » by younggunsmn » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:31 am

I would trade Wiggins for any contract in the league beside John Wall and Kevin Love, and only those 2 because of injuries.
I don't see any opportunities until another year or 2 come off his deal, but if you get an offer near what Was got for Otto Porter (expirings) you take it and dont look back. If he ever plays well enough to reach near neutral value, dump him as fast as you can.

I had alot of hope for Wiggins, but he just isnt anywhere near a positive value because of his lack of skills (dribbling, shooting passing) and low BBIQ. He will have a couple of games where he gets hot each year and flashes his potential, but after 5 years, I've seen enough to know its fools gold. 9-23 shooting with poor D and poor intanglible contributions is what I've come to expect.
DaKid
Senior
And1: 186

Post#232 » by DaKid » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:14 am

King Malta wrote:

Book it!!

I wish I had your optimism.

Here's a question though, if Roco plays all of next season and KAT and Wigs were both all-stars, where do you see us finishing in the West?

I'm gonna go with 5-6 seed.

Depends on if we upgrade pg somehow
McHalesBurner
Junior
And1: 499

Post#233 » by McHalesBurner » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:49 am

I've said it before but people seem to think I'm kidding: if no trade options are available, I'd start exploring buy-out options. The team needs to get rid of this guy!
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#234 » by Worm Guts » Mon Apr 8, 2019 10:21 am

McHalesBurner wrote:I've said it before but people seem to think I'm kidding: if no trade options are available, I'd start exploring buy-out options. The team needs to get rid of this guy!

That doesn’t solve the main issue of the salary cap burden.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#235 » by minimus » Mon Apr 8, 2019 1:17 pm

McHalesBurner wrote:I've said it before but people seem to think I'm kidding: if no trade options are available, I'd start exploring buy-out options. The team needs to get rid of this guy!

Do you want to buy out a player who averages vs OKC 28ppg 6.8rpg 4apg on 51% FG, 52%3pt? We need him at least for these four games every year.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,817

Post#236 » by AirP. » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:46 pm

Good news, K.Knox knocked Wiggins out of worst defensive forward/wing in the league on RealGM's Dunk'd On podcast. He was still in the top 3(Knox and non trying LeBron) and the other host put J.Collins and Knox ahead of Wiggins for worst.

It's just incredible how bad Wiggins is overall for Minnesota, he'll have his games here and there but overall he doesn't make the team better with his play. What's really bad is that there's a good/great player inside of Wiggins and it's completely up to him to get the most out of himself.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253209/Duncd-On-The-Defense-Episode

For Minnesota's future, I think Tyus, Covington, Saric and Towns are 4 solid starters for the next half decade, I'd really consider adding a proven SG vet who is solid as the 5th starter and move Wiggins to scoring 6th man so he can be pulled quickly if he's not playing well that night(maybe also to get Wiggins to look at himself and actually alter his overall game, it's hard to believe a max contract didn't help him do that). Hopefully Okogie will work on his 3s and the coach staff can reign him in on the offensive end to limit his bad shots. The future isn't bleak if bad Wiggins' is mitigated more or if he just gives more effort on defense and shoots smarter on the offensive end.

Just looking at the ORTG - DRTG as of now from BBRef's calculations(formula to figure out the player's contributions to the team with 100 possessions).

Wiggins -15

Also note, there's a good number of positive players on the roster.
Gibson +11
Towns +10
Deing +7
Covington +6
Jones +2
Deng +4

Reynolds 0

And some negatives...
Rose -3
Teague -4
Tolliver -5
KBD -10
Okogie -12
Wiggins -15
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#237 » by Dewey » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:55 pm

FOr the good of the team, Saunders must ensure Wiggins understands he has to earn a starting roster spot. Period. If we draft a wing, then I consider that as "message sent".

ROCO is a nice 3 & D player and I hope we dont mess it up by babying Wiggins ... if Wiggins dont see it, is not motivated, or is just unwilling to earn that spot then, so be it. We just cannot move forward writing the same check and expecting different results.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#238 » by Killboard » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:32 pm

Ryan has to do everything at his reach to put a offseason plan that involves at least KAT and Wigs together. As late I have seen KAT finding Wigs of backdoor cuts like never before. I think big part of Wiggins problems is sinergy with other pieces and I think one offseason of practice a 1-2 game could do wonders for him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#239 » by shrink » Mon Apr 8, 2019 10:50 pm

AirP. wrote:Good news, K.Knox knocked Wiggins out of worst defensive forward/wing in the league on RealGM's Dunk'd On podcast. He was still in the top 3(Knox and non trying LeBron) and the other host put J.Collins and Knox ahead of Wiggins for worst.

Also note, there's a good number of positive players on the roster.
Gibson +11
Towns +10
Deing +7
Covington +6
Jones +2
Deng +4

Reynolds 0

And some negatives...
Rose -3
Teague -4
Tolliver -5
KBD -10
Okogie -12
Wiggins -15

Good post, AirP. I listened to that podcast as well, and the way they introduced how they made their choices (like, athletic potential to be better, not caring, etc), I thought Wiggins was a shoe-in for #1. Still, being #3 among forwards is still horribly bad.

I wanted to mention that they brought up Towns as one of the three most improved centers defensively. They said he’s still not good, but he’s not awful, and with some help (like Covington), he might be better.

Lastly, I’m also glad that you posted the ratings for the rest of the team. People may be surprised to see Okogie so low, but this should not be unexpected. Okogie hustles and makes some good defensive plays, but hardly any players are positives defensively their first year. Okogie has some tools and he has heart - I expect him to get better and better
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
McHalesBurner
Junior
And1: 499

Post#240 » by McHalesBurner » Tue Apr 9, 2019 12:51 am

Worm Guts wrote:

That doesn’t solve the main issue of the salary cap burden.

It's way worse than salary cap burden at this point, and even their it would save SOME money.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves