ImageImageImage

Andrew Wiggins and the wolves future

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Re: Andrew Wiggins and the wolves future 

Post#301 » by Grubie024 » Sun May 5, 2019 1:12 am

Folklore wrote:The way Kyle lowry is playing there's no way Leonard is staying in Toronto.After he leaves the Raps will have no choice but to blow things up to build around Siakam. I think they'll be forced to make a trade for Wiggins with Kyle just for the fans and his upside because they wont be able to get another big free agent after they lose KL.

I'd be open to trading Wiggins for Lowry due to Lowry's short contract (1 more year at 33.3M). Lowry has pretty much cemented his legacy as totally unreliable and he's overpaid.
If we could then trade Teague without taking on an undesirable contract, I'd do these moves to get us out from under Wiggins deal.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,967

Post#302 » by Domejandro » Sun May 5, 2019 1:52 am

Grubie024 wrote:
Folklore wrote:The way Kyle lowry is playing there's no way Leonard is staying in Toronto.After he leaves the Raps will have no choice but to blow things up to build around Siakam. I think they'll be forced to make a trade for Wiggins with Kyle just for the fans and his upside because they wont be able to get another big free agent after they lose KL.

I'd be open to trading Wiggins for Lowry due to Lowry's short contract (1 more year at 33.3M). Lowry has pretty much cemented his legacy as totally unreliable and he's overpaid.
If we could then trade Teague without taking on an undesirable contract, I'd do these moves to get us out from under Wiggins deal.

These hypotheticals aren't reasonable for Toronto at all, in my opinion; why would they willingly take our garbage?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,943

Post#303 » by Klomp » Sun May 5, 2019 2:12 am

I was actually thinking of another high-priced PG....one that's playing tonight.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Folklore
Senior
And1: 171

Post#304 » by Folklore » Sun May 5, 2019 2:20 am

Domejandro wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:

These hypotheticals aren't reasonable for Toronto at all, in my opinion; why would they willingly take our garbage?

Why not? once KL leaves what are they going to do? they'll just be a treadmill team with no future. At least this way the fans can get behind the home grown Maple Jordan if they still believe he can turn things around with a change of scenery.And Kyle would most likely ask for a trade once he becomes the scapegoat anyway so why not get rid of him now before he really declines.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,967

Post#305 » by Domejandro » Sun May 5, 2019 2:51 am

Folklore wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:I'd be open to trading Wiggins for Lowry due to Lowry's short contract (1 more year at 33.3M). Lowry has pretty much cemented his legacy as totally unreliable and he's overpaid.

Why not? once KL leaves what are they going to do? they'll just be a treadmill team with no future. At least this way the fans can get behind the home grown Maple Jordan if they still believe he can turn things around with a change of scenery.And Kyle would most likely ask for a trade once he becomes the scapegoat anyway so why not get rid of him now before he really declines.

Honestly, I don't consider "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" to be a reasonable justification for trading an above average, expiring Point-Guard for a bottom three contract in the league without significant value added on Minnesota's side.

Why completely decimate your future flexibility like that? That would be insane.
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Post#306 » by Grubie024 » Sun May 5, 2019 4:47 am

Domejandro wrote:
Folklore wrote:
Domejandro wrote:These hypotheticals aren't reasonable for Toronto at all, in my opinion; why would they willingly take our garbage?

Honestly, I don't consider "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" to be a reasonable justification for trading an above average, expiring Point-Guard for a bottom three contract in the league without significant value added on Minnesota's side.

Why completely decimate your future flexibility like that? That would be insane.

You're probably right, Toronto wouldn't do trade without additional positive assets. I do question whether all GM's are as low on Wiggins as us fans. Regardless, Lowry's expiring tips the scales, so forget that.
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#307 » by yawner » Sun May 5, 2019 11:04 am

Klomp wrote:I was actually thinking of another high-priced PG....one that's playing tonight.

Do you mean Chris Paul? I´m not watching that series. Is he playing that badly?

If he is, a trade like this one could work:
Toronto gets Wiggins Teague and 2 houston´s first rounders
Houston gets Lowry
Wolves get Paul + Powell
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#308 » by Klomp » Sun May 5, 2019 5:22 pm

yawner wrote:Do you mean Chris Paul? I´m not watching that series. Is he playing that badly?

I don't know if I'd say he's playing badly, but I think playing in Houston next to Harden limits his impact enough to where Houston might not want to pay that contract.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,387

Post#309 » by younggunsmn » Sun May 5, 2019 6:39 pm

There is only one scenario I see of trading Wiggins this offseason without taking back a horrible contract or sending out another significant asset.
And that scenario is if Kawhi Leonard decides to leave, we send him to Toronto as part of a 3 team sign and trade.
Nothing coming back for us but capspace and a huge TPE we might be able to use to pick up assets for eating expring contracts.
Of course this would somehow involve us convincing Toronto to take Wiggins, but with Gasol, Ibaka, and Lowry long in the tooth it might make sense to look to the future.

Otherwise I think Rosas first order of business is going to be rehabilitating Wiggins trade value.
That means no more (zero!) long two pointers and simplifying his offensive options significantly to open 3's and rim attack.
No more ISO jumpers, no more post ups.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#310 » by King Malta » Sun May 5, 2019 11:17 pm

It's been said on numerous MN Sports Podcasts, but Miami come across as a team who'd be arrogant enough to believe that they could fix Andrew Wiggins. I'd be speaking to Riley to see his interest in a trade, I feel like we wouldn't need to give up a significant asset to make it happen either.

The Toronto theory also makes some sense IMO, although I agree with Domejandro in that Toronto probably wouldn't take him without getting a decent asset. If Toronto have to blow it up, having a home town boy (and let's be honest, great tank commander) coming in for a couple of years while they rebuild isn't a disaster. Collect a couple of picks, kick the tires on Wiggins and if he doesn't improve you'll only have a couple of seasons left on his deal, making it much more movable at that point.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,195

Post#311 » by Neeva » Sun May 5, 2019 11:28 pm

Wiggins will be good off the wolves that’s just minny luck lets be honest.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#312 » by TheDominator273 » Mon May 6, 2019 12:14 am

yawner wrote:
Klomp wrote:I was actually thinking of another high-priced PG....one that's playing tonight.

Do you mean Chris Paul? I´m not watching that series. Is he playing that badly?

If he is, a trade like this one could work:
Toronto gets Wiggins Teague and 2 houston´s first rounders
Houston gets Lowry
Wolves get Paul + Powell
I'd much rather have Andrew Wiggins on his contract than Chris Paul on his
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#313 » by Klomp » Mon May 6, 2019 12:28 am

TheDominator273 wrote:I'd much rather have Andrew Wiggins on his contract than Chris Paul on his

I figured there might be some who feel that way. I'm not even totally sure how I'd feel about a swap, to be honest. It would come down to how good people think Paul actually is still, or if they think Wiggins has any untapped potential left.

TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#314 » by TheDominator273 » Mon May 6, 2019 12:30 am

Klomp wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:I'd much rather have Andrew Wiggins on his contract than Chris Paul on his

I figured there might be some who feel that way. I'm not even totally sure how I'd feel about a swap, to be honest. It would come down to how good people think Paul actually is still, or if they think Wiggins has any untapped potential left.
Paul's contract and injury history along with his advanced age at the end of the contract would be far more damaging to our roster construction than Wiggins is/will be imo and that's the kicker for me.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#315 » by King Malta » Mon May 6, 2019 1:59 am

Klomp wrote:

They're both awful contracts for sure. Wiggins potentially has scope for improvement and plays just about every game, Paul is a much more useful player but is injury prone and old.

Not sure which option is better tbh.
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#316 » by yawner » Mon May 6, 2019 7:52 am

Chris Paul is a useful player while Wiggins is not. And should age rather well because his game is not based on physical skills. What´s more, Chris Paul´s contract is 1 season shorter than Wiggins´.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#317 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 6, 2019 2:02 pm

yawner wrote:Chris Paul is a useful player while Wiggins is not. And should age rather well because his game is not based on physical skills. What´s more, Chris Paul´s contract is 1 season shorter than Wiggins´.

If we can trade Wiggins for Paul let's do it yesterday.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,841

Post#318 » by AirP. » Mon May 6, 2019 3:01 pm

King Malta wrote:
Klomp wrote:

They're both awful contracts for sure. Wiggins potentially has scope for improvement and plays just about every game, Paul is a much more useful player but is injury prone and old.

Not sure which option is better tbh.

Houston's GM is big into analytics and created the TS% calculation, Wiggins was the 3rd worst in TS% of NBA players who shot 10+ FGA a game and played qualifying minutes for a league leader. I wouldn't be surprised if Daryl Morey blocked the number that called him with an offer that included Wiggins and CP3 in it.

There are some teams that probably would take a chance with Wiggins but they're not going to give up much with that contract attached to him. The kinds of offers I could see coming in for Wiggins would be lackluster to Minnesota fans like OKC offering Schroder and A.Robertson for him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,636

Post#319 » by shrink » Mon May 6, 2019 3:04 pm

I have Chris Paul as the third worst contract in the NBA, with Wiggins #2 and Wall #1.

Besides the bad fit, and anger Chris Paul would have being shipped to Minnesota, his money is pumped into a position where the NBA is loaded with talent, and you can get decent players far more cheaply. Wiggins is a lengthy SG-SF, which is the NBA’s biggest need. We would pay for any replacement.

The max contracts, btw, are:

Wall. $38, $41, $44, $47
Wigs. $27, $29, $31, $33
Paul. $38, $41, $44

Wall and Paul are better, but I am disturbed by their 15% trade kickers, and the risk of decline in performance, (or with Wall, simply missing the next 3/4ths of a season),
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#320 » by Killboard » Mon May 6, 2019 3:11 pm

shrink wrote:I have Chris Paul as the third worst contract in the NBA, with Wiggins #2 and Wall #1.

Besides the bad fit, and anger Chris Paul would have being shipped to Minnesota, his money is pumped into a position where the NBA is loaded with talent, and you can get decent players far more cheaply. Wiggins is a lengthy SG-SF, which is the NBA’s biggest need. We would pay for any replacement.

The max contracts, btw, are:

Wall. $38, $41, $44, $47
Wigs. $27, $29, $31, $33
Paul. $38, $41, $44

Wall and Paul are better, but I think the risk of decline in performance, or with Wall, simply missing the next 3/4ths of a season, are very disturbing,

Agreed. Both, natural decline and minute count are problems for both Wall and Paul for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

Wiggins in the other hand should be healthy, cant really play much worse and it still leaves from 11 to 13 M dollars open to recoup some of the value.

Even if the Rockets and Wizzards consider Wiggins for those as neutral value, you still have to ship more money to them, for which picks are going to be needed to force them to take that additional contract.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves