wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Re: Andrew Wiggins and the wolves future 

Post#341 » by wesleyt95 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:19 pm

vagelis wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:
vagelis wrote:
Arms are important for basketball. I agree with minimus that weak arms affect layups but I have to add that affect defense, rebounding and physical game in general.
Wiggins has strong core and strong legs. In fact his core strength is extraordinary comparing with his skinny figure. He can push heavier opponents with his core. But his arms are weak and I think that affects his game.
I think he has to add around 5 kg of muscles in his body. He has to work all the body but give a little bit extra attention in to arms.

I don't agree. Not losing the ball is part of ball handling, which Wiggins simply don't has.
You talking about upper body strenght which is chest, shoulders, and some triceps.

If you work on these you don't need to train your arms much in addition. Anyway, Wiggins needs to hit the gym hard and shoot threes like a maniac to become a good player in this league. His limitations in terms of ballhandling and court awareness will always hold him back, so he needs to be realistic, which means he needs a stronger frame, a better shot and needs to stop with his pull up 2s, and give effort every game.

Sory, maybe I said it wrong. With arms I mean biceps, triceps and shoulders.
But maybe I used the wrong word and arm is the lower part.
Ball handling is another aspect that he has to work. He has worked on that I think but he needs more. He needs to work a lot into dribling moves crossovers etc. Not only ball handling but go one step farther and develop dribling skills.
And of course shooting. He needs to work a lot shooting after dribling. Not catch and shoot shooting in which he is good.

If i were Wiggins I would focus on these parts and split my training in to 2 parts in summer.
Weight lifting once a day and dribling and shooting after dribling once a day.
And he needs to stop avoiding competition. He needs to take part in the fiba world cup with Canada this year and take part to dunk contest.
Competition is good, makes players better

A pull up 3 and added strength/improved handle would make Wiggins as lethal as anyone offensively
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#342 » by packforfreedom » Sun May 12, 2019 8:04 am

wesleyt95 wrote:
vagelis wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:
I don't agree. Not losing the ball is part of ball handling, which Wiggins simply don't has.
You talking about upper body strenght which is chest, shoulders, and some triceps.

If you work on these you don't need to train your arms much in addition. Anyway, Wiggins needs to hit the gym hard and shoot threes like a maniac to become a good player in this league. His limitations in terms of ballhandling and court awareness will always hold him back, so he needs to be realistic, which means he needs a stronger frame, a better shot and needs to stop with his pull up 2s, and give effort every game.

Sory, maybe I said it wrong. With arms I mean biceps, triceps and shoulders.
But maybe I used the wrong word and arm is the lower part.
Ball handling is another aspect that he has to work. He has worked on that I think but he needs more. He needs to work a lot into dribling moves crossovers etc. Not only ball handling but go one step farther and develop dribling skills.
And of course shooting. He needs to work a lot shooting after dribling. Not catch and shoot shooting in which he is good.

If i were Wiggins I would focus on these parts and split my training in to 2 parts in summer.
Weight lifting once a day and dribling and shooting after dribling once a day.
And he needs to stop avoiding competition. He needs to take part in the fiba world cup with Canada this year and take part to dunk contest.
Competition is good, makes players better

A pull up 3 and added strength/improved handle would make Wiggins as lethal as anyone offensively

I'd be happy if he becomes a decent catch and shoot threat from three, regularly hustles on defense and evolves to a more willing and more determined cutter. I don't think anything more is realistic at this point.
I want him to stay a way from all sorts of pull up jumpers, fadaways, turnarounds and whatnots. His game needs to adjust to his skills not the other way around.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#343 » by wesleyt95 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 pm

If he was a threat to pull up from distance defenders couldn’t sag off making it easier to get to the rim too, yea he should be improving what he’s been doing but a max player should be widening their skill set every year
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#344 » by King Malta » Mon May 13, 2019 1:02 am

Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:
Mattya wrote:I read from one of the beat writers that the Wolves have had very little input into who/how Wiggins works out in the offseason. That is very disappointing on both ends.

If it is true, then is a major reason to trade him. I mean, there is several reasons to do that. But if willingness to be guided is a issue while underperforming so bad, then nothing is going to change.

Had, meaning past tense. I doubt Rosas will be so hands off.

Yeah, I get the feeling Rosas will be pretty heavily involved with player development.

Will be interesting, if that's the case, to see how much rope he gives Andrew before he tries to move him if there's no change.
RazorC
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#345 » by RazorC » Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 am

I was fully on behind Wiggins going into last season and still believed he would find a way to start reaching his potential but as the season went on, I became more and more convinced he's never going to. Now just want him gone whatever it takes.
One of the many reasons for example is once Saunders took over and stressed not taking long twos to the point he was giving negative points in practice, Wiggins continued to do so in games. It shows he either lacks the awareness or doesn't care. Not sure which is worse. We can't kill the opportunity we have with KAT. I wish him well but he just doesn't play smart winning basketball.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,907

Post#346 » by Klomp » Tue May 14, 2019 1:35 am

RazorC wrote:I was fully on behind Wiggins going into last season and still believed he would find a way to start reaching his potential but as the season went on, I became more and more convinced he's never going to. Now just want him gone whatever it takes.
One of the many reasons for example is once Saunders took over and stressed not taking long twos to the point he was giving negative points in practice, Wiggins continued to do so in games. It shows he either lacks the awareness or doesn't care. Not sure which is worse.

KAT took long 2s after that point too, I guess we better trade him....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#347 » by King Malta » Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 am

Klomp wrote:
RazorC wrote:I was fully on behind Wiggins going into last season and still believed he would find a way to start reaching his potential but as the season went on, I became more and more convinced he's never going to. Now just want him gone whatever it takes.
One of the many reasons for example is once Saunders took over and stressed not taking long twos to the point he was giving negative points in practice, Wiggins continued to do so in games. It shows he either lacks the awareness or doesn't care. Not sure which is worse.

Wiggins shot them at a much higher volume and a considerably worse efficiency mind you.

Continuing to take the long twos isn't so much the problem as it is a symptom of his overall issues IMO; he's a very inefficient player who seems to lean on low IQ plays offensively.
RazorC
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#348 » by RazorC » Tue May 14, 2019 3:12 am

Klomp wrote:

They all do occasionally but for Wiggins, it's a staple of his game and generally done in isolation.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#349 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 14, 2019 12:59 pm

RazorC wrote:
Klomp wrote:

They all do occasionally but for Wiggins, it's a staple of his game and generally done in isolation.

Correct.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#350 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Klomp wrote:

There's a difference between somebody who occasionally takes a long two and a player who goes to it on a regular basis.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#351 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu May 16, 2019 8:35 am

Yeah, Wiggins relies on (takes so many) and sucks at (converts so few as a percentage) long twos its almsot bizarre he's allowed to continue to play while doing so. Either the coaching staff approves of it, or he doesn't listen or what, I don't know? It'd be interesting if he were on a team like the rockets or something where that goes against their whole culture/efficiency thing they have there. Is he uncoachable/unaccountable? Is he being developed into someone who might be a shooting threat by being allowed to take so many bad shots? I don' know.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#352 » by minimus » Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:Yeah, Wiggins relies on (takes so many) and sucks at (converts so few as a percentage) long twos its almsot bizarre he's allowed to continue to play while doing so. Either the coaching staff approves of it, or he doesn't listen or what, I don't know? It'd be interesting if he were on a team like the rockets or something where that goes against their whole culture/efficiency thing they have there. Is he uncoachable/unaccountable? Is he being developed into someone who might be a shooting threat by being allowed to take so many bad shots? I don' know.

We dont know either. Hopefully, we will get the answer soon.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#353 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 am

minimus wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:Yeah, Wiggins relies on (takes so many) and sucks at (converts so few as a percentage) long twos its almsot bizarre he's allowed to continue to play while doing so. Either the coaching staff approves of it, or he doesn't listen or what, I don't know? It'd be interesting if he were on a team like the rockets or something where that goes against their whole culture/efficiency thing they have there. Is he uncoachable/unaccountable? Is he being developed into someone who might be a shooting threat by being allowed to take so many bad shots? I don' know.

We dont know either. Hopefully, we will get the answer soon.

Flip had him focus on post ups and getting to the line.
Then hanlen was doing mostly midrange and watching alot of Kobe and MJ film.
Then when Jimmy came, thibbs had him as a spot up guy.

I think some is Wiggins nature to be passive, and some is the way hes been developed. It didnt help that most of his offseason work was unsupervised and without team direction.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#354 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Fri May 17, 2019 2:51 pm

I think Andrew knows how talented he can be...but he had a 10 cent brain on the court and no drive to make himself or his teammates better.

We waste so many possessions with him sitting in the corner or with his terrible handles getting him to about 3 feet inside the arc to force a long 2.

Just a bad basketball player all together. Sucks to see someone who's gifted like KAT be stuck with him.

Any deal with Andrew should be done immediately
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#355 » by NYG » Sun May 19, 2019 8:37 pm

How much would the T’Wolves add to Wiggins to dump him?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#356 » by KGdaBom » Sun May 19, 2019 9:10 pm

NYG wrote:How much would the T’Wolves add to Wiggins to dump him?

We're hoping to sucker somebody into taking him off our hands without any sweetener.
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#357 » by yawner » Sun May 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Towns? :devil:

After a season in which Rosas will try to maximise Wiggins to make him more efficient, I wonder if his value will increase. And therefore, be more tradeable.

On the other hand, as a consequence, I think that the teams that right now might think they can improve Wiggins´performance by moving him from the Timberwolves to a serious franchise, might change their thoughts after witnessing a season of rather competent work environment.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#358 » by wesleyt95 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:36 pm

Absolutely nothing, his work here isn’t finished
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,177

Post#359 » by Tukkerwolf » Tue May 21, 2019 12:11 pm

Nothing. Just bench him and take the loss. Depleting the team further yo get rid of him is madness.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#360 » by shangrila » Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 pm

I do think there's ways around his weaknesses to make him atleast somewhat productive.

For example, his handles are weak which causes him issues getting to the rim which might indirectly be the cause behind all the long 2s. You can fix that by running him off screens, especially off ball. Get him going middle, hit him mid-stride and then he's got a dribble to get right to the rim. There's no way his efficiency stays bad with those kinds of actions.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves