Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,832

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#2081 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 6:50 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:What happens if he struggles against bigger, stronger, and faster competition?

You could argue that he was playing against bigger, stronger competition most of the season.

I think the point is his competition in the NBA is going to be bigger, stronger, faster than his competition in NCAA. He is not going to have the same advantages that allowed him to dominate in spite of his short comings. The blocked shots from 5'11" point guards and 6'3" wings aren't going to be there in the NBA. It is a grown man's game.

Every draft pick coming in will be playing against bigger stronger faster competition than they were before. Doesn't bother me one tiny bit.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#2082 » by Mattya » Thu May 23, 2019 6:57 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
Klomp wrote:You could argue that he was playing against bigger, stronger competition most of the season.

I think the point is his competition in the NBA is going to be bigger, stronger, faster than his competition in NCAA. He is not going to have the same advantages that allowed him to dominate in spite of his short comings. The blocked shots from 5'11" point guards and 6'3" wings aren't going to be there in the NBA. It is a grown man's game.

Every draft pick coming in will be playing against bigger stronger faster competition than they were before. Doesn't bother me one tiny bit.

Makes a bigger difference for bigs when they are already undersized and can't space the floor. Thats why I also worry about guards who can't shoot. You have to be very gifted offensively if you are going to be undersized in the NBA. Name any player the size of Clarke who has been successful in the NBA and couldn't shoot or take players off the dribble. Has there even been a big with these measurable who is primarily a rim runner and roller on offense?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2083 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 6:59 pm

alabamawolf wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:What happens if he struggles against bigger, stronger, and faster competition?

You could argue that he was playing against bigger, stronger competition most of the season.

He did well against the big teams but most of the season they went untested against WCC competition. That’s much different than playing every other night against much better athletes

How many times do I have to say this, but I will continue to do so. Every player drafted will have to go against better athletes than they did before. This is not going to be unique to Clarke. They may as well not even bother holding the draft, because all the rookies will suck because they will be going against bigger, faster, stronger competition.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#2084 » by Mattya » Thu May 23, 2019 7:11 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
alabamawolf wrote:
Klomp wrote:You could argue that he was playing against bigger, stronger competition most of the season.

He did well against the big teams but most of the season they went untested against WCC competition. That’s much different than playing every other night against much better athletes

How many times do I have to say this, but I will continue to do so. Every player drafted will have to go against better athletes than they did before. This is not going to be unique to Clarke. They may as well not even bother holding the draft, because all the rookies will suck because they will be going against bigger, faster, stronger competition.

Let's not question the success of anybody coming out of the draft. Remember no player has ever dominated in college only to struggle against bigger competition...
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2085 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

Makes a bigger difference for bigs when they are already undersized and can't space the floor. Thats why I also worry about guards who can't shoot. You have to be very gifted offensively if you are going to be undersized in the NBA. Name any player the size of Clarke who has been successful in the NBA and couldn't shoot or take players off the dribble. Has there even been a big with these measurable who is primarily a rim runner and roller on offense?

More of the lies saying Clarke can't shoot. He was one of the best shooters in college basketball at almost 70%. He hasn't developed a 3 yet, but don't say he can't shoot.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2086 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
alabamawolf wrote:He did well against the big teams but most of the season they went untested against WCC competition. That’s much different than playing every other night against much better athletes

Let's not question the success of anybody coming out of the draft. Remember no player has ever dominated in college only to struggle against bigger competition...

Every player coming out of college has the same challenge. To single Clarke out is a joke.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#2087 » by Mattya » Thu May 23, 2019 7:17 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Every draft pick coming in will be playing against bigger stronger faster competition than they were before. Doesn't bother me one tiny bit.

More of the lies saying Clarke can't shoot. He was one of the best shooters in college basketball at almost 70%. He hasn't developed a 3 yet, but don't say he can't shoot.

He can't shoot. He doesn't space the floor. You argue semantics and waste every posters time with this crap.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#2088 » by Mattya » Thu May 23, 2019 7:19 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:How many times do I have to say this, but I will continue to do so. Every player drafted will have to go against better athletes than they did before. This is not going to be unique to Clarke. They may as well not even bother holding the draft, because all the rookies will suck because they will be going against bigger, faster, stronger competition.

Every player coming out of college has the same challenge. To single Clarke out is a joke.

I've said it of more than Clarke.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2089 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 7:26 pm

Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Mattya wrote:

He can't shoot. He doesn't space the floor. You argue semantics and waste every posters time with this crap.

It's crap to keep lying and saying he can't shoot. You don't go 70% from the floor if you can't shoot. Is the 3 the only shot in basketball? Is it the only shot that takes skill. To answer your question how about Ced Ceballos. He never had a play ran for him and put up 50 against the Wolves and had seasons averaging over 20. Clarke might be Ceballos on O while being way better than him on D.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2090 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Mattya wrote:

I've said it of more than Clarke.

You're singling him out pretty much. I don't buy your reasoning at all about him struggling while all these other players won't.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#2091 » by old school 34 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:He is at best a role player on offense in the NBA unless he can drastically improve his shooting. To me he seems like a Marquese Chriss without the dirty plays and even less shooting ability.

If you're drafting Clarke, you're drafting him for his role player ability. I see Clarke having a high floor compared to many of the other prospects. If a franchise doesn't want to strike out on a pick or doesn't need to take a risk on potential because they aren't needing star players, that's the type of situation I see Clarke going.

I personally believe teams make more draft mistakes going for home runs than they do taking the safer option. To me, Clarke is safer than a lot of guys between 11-20.
I agree w/ your assessment & logic towards Clarke....high floor, low ceiling guy...probably always bench guy (ie-- Nance, jr or C. Brewer).

I just feel because of our roster make up & lack of flexibility & even cause we hit on a probable rotation guy(s) in Okogie & maybe KBD from last year....I'm willing to take a higher risk guy in an attempt to get someone that I feel has starter potential.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Mattya
RealGM

Post#2092 » by Mattya » Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:More of the lies saying Clarke can't shoot. He was one of the best shooters in college basketball at almost 70%. He hasn't developed a 3 yet, but don't say he can't shoot.

It's crap to keep lying and saying he can't shoot. You don't go 70% from the floor if you can't shoot. Is the 3 the only shot in basketball? Is it the only shot that takes skill. To answer your question how about Ced Ceballos. He never had a play ran for him and put up 50 against the Wolves and had seasons averaging over 20. Clarke might be Ceballos on O while being way better than him on D.

You're singling him out pretty much. I don't buy your reasoning at all about him struggling while all these other players won't.

If we are going to consider dunking the ball shooting then Shaq is one of the greatest shooter of all time. See how much of a waste of time it is to muddy semantics like you do? We should clearly trade Towns for Gobert since Gobert shoots a higher percentage than Towns.

I'm singling him out? Should I reply to a conversation about Brandon Clarke by talking about other players that I have also mentioned will potentially struggle against bigger competition? You are literally complaining that I'm staying on topic only because you don't like the response.

and this was the last straw I had in ever responding to you.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2093 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 pm

Our transition game with Okogie, RoCo, KAT, and Clarke could be the best in the league. Maybe even include Wiggins in that mix.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2094 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 pm

Mattya wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Mattya wrote:

If we are going to consider dunking the ball shooting then Shaq is one of the greatest shooter of all time. See how much of a waste of time it is to muddy semantics like you do? We should clearly trade Towns for Gobert since Gobert shoots a higher percentage than Towns.

I'm singling him out? Should I reply to a conversation about Brandon Clarke by talking about other players that I have also mentioned will potentially struggle against bigger competition? You are literally complaining that I'm staying on topic only because you don't like the response.

and this was the last straw I had in ever responding to you.

Once again a lie. First of all Shaq was very skilled in making the dunks. He was very quick and nimble to do that at his size. So yes Shaq was a good shooter. I would say that Shaq turned out pretty good. Clarke had lots of dunks, but he was quite good at spot up 2s as well which Shaq never was. Why act like that doesn't matter and only the 3 does. I'm glad it's your last straw. I'm tired of the lies and straw man arguments.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#2095 » by Mattya » Thu May 23, 2019 7:42 pm

I think Goga is going to rise up the draft board. His form reminds me of Kevin Love.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2096 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 7:45 pm

Mattya wrote:I think Goga is going to rise up the draft board. His form reminds me of Kevin Love.

I like him, Bol Bol and I also like Hayes. Would the Wolves consider any of those three with KAT already on board?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#2097 » by Klomp » Thu May 23, 2019 7:46 pm

KGdaBom wrote:More of the lies saying Clarke can't shoot. He was one of the best shooters in college basketball at almost 70%. He hasn't developed a 3 yet, but don't say he can't shoot.

:roll: You're smarter than this, I hope. I think you well know that when people talk about shooting they're talking about jump-shooting.

Now to be fair to Clarke, I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for his abilities at the rim and in the mid-range. Not only about dunks, but in layups and floaters.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
alabamawolf
Senior
And1: 321

Post#2098 » by alabamawolf » Thu May 23, 2019 7:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
alabamawolf wrote:

Clarke was much older than his competition plus he played in the West Coast Conference on a very stacked team. It'd be one thing if he was 19 or 20 but he's a grown man with a very limited skill-set. Clarke will be a useful role player because of his defense but his age severely limits his upside when you compare him to PJ Washington, Bol, Sekou, Grant Williams, and Samanic.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2099 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Klomp wrote:

:roll: You're smarter than this, I hope. I think you well know that when people talk about shooting they're talking about jump-shooting.

Often true, but it shouldn't be that way. Shooting is touch around the rim as well. However, Clarke was pretty good on jump shooting if the stats I have read are accurate. 55 points on 46 spot up shots is 60%.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2100 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 23, 2019 7:53 pm

alabamawolf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
alabamawolf wrote:He did well against the big teams but most of the season they went untested against WCC competition. That’s much different than playing every other night against much better athletes

Clarke was much older than his competition plus he played in the West Coast Conference on a very stacked team. It'd be one thing if he was 19 or 20 but he's a grown man with a very limited skill-set. Clarke will be a useful role player because of his defense but his age severely limits his upside when you compare him to PJ Washington, Bol, Sekou, Grant Williams, and Samanic.

The age thing is a fair argument against him. He is more physically developed than the players you mentioned. They will catch up on him a bit over the next two or three years. However they have a LONG way to go to catch up to him. As for the conference that isn't an issue at all because Clarke did as well or better against the top ranked teams than he did against the WCC opponents. I like the guys you mentioned, but I would prefer Clarke over all of them.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves