Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,454

Re: 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#2141 » by Foye » Fri May 24, 2019 12:08 pm

minimus wrote:
Foye wrote:
minimus wrote:
Yeah, interesting! That bad choice when we drafted Dunn over Murray might have been that little stone that made whole pyramide falling apart. Because Dunn could not co-exist with Rubio, AW. Murray could play both SG/PG in MIN and benefit from some high level passing from Rubio. Rubio could benefit from having another shooter. Then no Rubio trade, no Butler trade. Bjelica re-signs. Tyus re-signs....

:banghead:

Thats why I am in favour of dealing Towns.
We have missed the possibility to build a roster around him. Right now, there is no way to acquire enough talent around him to really compete. It will take another 2-3 years at least by then Towns is pissed already about not being able to compete and will leave after year 5 for nothing. The book is written already.

I'd agree with you, my friend, if we dont have Rosas and Ryan now. Thibs and Butler damaged this franchise so much, but I believe that everything can be changed with a bit of luck. Say we draft wisely and find rotation guy in FA/undrafted guys, and our young guys develop into solid players.

Also I think draft picks are overrated. I mean look at TOR roster: Kawhi is the highest pick at #15. OG, Serge, Kyle and Siakam were all taken in the 20's. Danny Green, Marc Gasol and Norman Powell were second round picks. FVV was undrafted. It is far more important to have a working processes in organization, based on shared vision and right personell who are commited to same values. This is exactly what Rosas and Ryan do. They are trying do build now is sustainable model of NBA organization. You are right this might be an investment in future, but I believe in this.

Toronto has one of the most competent front offices and coaching staffs. They know what they are doing there.

Do you believe Siakam would be as good as he is right now if he was drafted by us?
I dont believe it for a second. Toronto had a clear plan how to develop him.

Andrew Wiggins is the perfect example how little of a plan we as a organization have to develop players.
He is still doing the same rookie Andrew mistakes each and every **** single time.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#2142 » by minimus » Fri May 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Foye wrote:
minimus wrote:
Foye wrote:
We have missed the possibility to build a roster around him. Right now, there is no way to acquire enough talent around him to really compete. It will take another 2-3 years at least by then Towns is pissed already about not being able to compete and will leave after year 5 for nothing. The book is written already.

I'd agree with you, my friend, if we dont have Rosas and Ryan now. Thibs and Butler damaged this franchise so much, but I believe that everything can be changed with a bit of luck. Say we draft wisely and find rotation guy in FA/undrafted guys, and our young guys develop into solid players.

Also I think draft picks are overrated. I mean look at TOR roster: Kawhi is the highest pick at #15. OG, Serge, Kyle and Siakam were all taken in the 20's. Danny Green, Marc Gasol and Norman Powell were second round picks. FVV was undrafted. It is far more important to have a working processes in organization, based on shared vision and right personell who are commited to same values. This is exactly what Rosas and Ryan do. They are trying do build now is sustainable model of NBA organization. You are right this might be an investment in future, but I believe in this.

Toronto has one of the most competent front offices and coaching staffs. They know what they are doing there.

Do you believe Siakam would be as good as he is right now if he was drafted by us?
I dont believe it for a second. Toronto had a clear plan how to develop him.

Andrew Wiggins is the perfect example how little of a plan we as a organization have to develop players.
He is still doing the same rookie Andrew mistakes each and every **** single time.

Well, DeRozan also played for TOR and was developed by their coaching staff. I know it might sound too optimistic by I think that our situation is more than correctable. Just imaging that we get next Donovan Mitchell at #11 or Okogie will be next Avery Bradley, or Tyus finally finds his 3pt shot, or KBD will explode as versatile 3&D, or Wiggins will be at least average in defense.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#2143 » by shangrila » Fri May 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Foye wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Foye wrote:

This kind of thinking hurts my brain and my heart.

Honestly, how jaded are you to think this way?

I could answer long but I will leave it short:
Just watch the Anthony Davis situation in New Orleans in the coming months and you will see what will happen with KAT here, too, in a couple years.

I disagree, as strongly as I possibly can.

Davis' situation went past the point of no return. He's coming to the end of the same kind of extension KAT just signed. We have the 5 years that they just got through wasting. That's significant. Think about the moves they could have made, or rather perhaps SHOULDN'T have. Trading for Cousins if they were just going to let him walk (I get the injury concerns, but you needed to keep him to show Davis how serious you were). Signing Hill to a MLE style deal based off 1 good playoff series (thought that kind of crap was long since done with, but hey). Trading and wasting draft pick after draft pick (name one draft pick of theirs in the last 5 years that's still on their team). They had terrible management and it cost them. We, hopefully, do not.

But I imagine you won't just take my word on it so let me give you some examples. Did you know that, in this current round of the playoffs, there are only 2 players that were drafted both in the top 10 and are still playing for those same teams? That would be Steph and Lillard. EVERYONE else, from Giannis to Middleton to Klay to McCollum to Lowry and Kawhi and Draymond and Lopez and Gasol and etc was either drafted outside the top 10, traded for or signed as a FA. Hell, you can even extend it; Houston spent years as a "treadmill" team and they're doing ok now, while Denver's only notable top 10 pick is Murray - guys like Jokic, Harris and Millsap all fall under the above criteria. The only real exceptions are Philly and Boston; Philly did what they did to get a guy like Towns and STILL needed to bring in a ton of additional talent by trade and Boston's situation is so unique it's almost not worth talking about. Competent management means far, FAR more than how high you draft.

Building a championship calibre team from our current situation isn't unprecedented. It's not easy, to be sure, but it's doable. Even better, we have someone who was part of a group who previously did exactly that...and he's so far brought on one guy with similar experience and is rumoured to be after another.

There's hope here. And I do get it, as a fellow long (LONG) suffering Wolves fan...I get it. We're not allowed to have nice things. But I legitimately believe there's something here now. I hope you can see it too, because being a pessimistic fan...it isn't fun. I think, if nothing else, we can both agree on that.
GeekFreak
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#2144 » by GeekFreak » Fri May 24, 2019 12:24 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You're practically giving those assets away in the proposed trades. Saric for 2nd rounders? Only reason he didn't go top 5 in the draft was because he wasn't likely to come over for a year or two. If I were to trade RoCo for a pick in this years draft it would have to be #4 or better.

Saric won't have much value at the deadline considering he will be a RFA. Mirotic was traded for a bunch of 2nd's last year, so I figure a 1st for Saric might be too optimistic.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on Roco's trade value because this year's draft talent appears to be that bad. But trading Roco will derivatively improve our own draft pick and allow more important minutes for Okogie's development.

I'm not a fan of intentionally making our team worse to get a better draft pick. Never approved of that and never will. I think Saric had a little trouble adjusting, but next year is going to light it up for us along with RoCo. We should make the playoffs next year. I'm also not a fan of blowing up the team and I don't believe in Treadmill. I think you can go from a 7th seed to a 5th seed to a 3rd seed to winning it all.

My God the Myth of Super Dario with you fan boys? Sorry Saric is one of the most unathletic players in the league with a flat shot. There is very little upside with this ungodly unathletic excuse for a basketball player. The guy can barely run and can't jump an inch off the ground. He struggles so bad to finish around the rim with that zero inch vertical. Every once in a while that flat shot starts going in and he looks alright, aside from that he downright sucks monkey balls.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#2145 » by KGdaBom » Fri May 24, 2019 2:17 pm

GeekFreak wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
Saric won't have much value at the deadline considering he will be a RFA. Mirotic was traded for a bunch of 2nd's last year, so I figure a 1st for Saric might be too optimistic.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on Roco's trade value because this year's draft talent appears to be that bad. But trading Roco will derivatively improve our own draft pick and allow more important minutes for Okogie's development.

I'm not a fan of intentionally making our team worse to get a better draft pick. Never approved of that and never will. I think Saric had a little trouble adjusting, but next year is going to light it up for us along with RoCo. We should make the playoffs next year. I'm also not a fan of blowing up the team and I don't believe in Treadmill. I think you can go from a 7th seed to a 5th seed to a 3rd seed to winning it all.

My God the Myth of Super Dario with you fan boys? Sorry Saric is one of the most unathletic players in the league with a flat shot. There is very little upside with this ungodly unathletic excuse for a basketball player. The guy can barely run and can't jump an inch off the ground. He struggles so bad to finish around the rim with that zero inch vertical. Every once in a while that flat shot starts going in and he looks alright, aside from that he downright sucks monkey balls.

You're talking about a guy who may have gone top five in the draft if he been ready to come over right away. He put up very good numbers at Philthy. Was rated around 54th best player in the league by SI coming in to last year. He has a very good 3 point shot flat or not. He is a very good ball handler and passer for a PF. Here's a bit from his draft scouting report.

Saric led the Adriatic league in scoring this season at just under 17 points per game, and did so on solid efficiency (58% true shooting percentage), despite shouldering a very heavy offensive load for Cibona (27% usage rate, 3rd highest in the league [min 20mpg]), winning the championship and earning MVP honors along the way. Standing 6-10, Saric is arguably the most versatile offensive player in this draft class, showing the ability to handle the ball in transition, score on the block, operate in isolation situations in the half-court, play off the ball, and rebound the ball at a very high rate. He's probably also the most experienced player in this draft class, despite only turning 20 last month, playing solid minutes at the European Championships last summer, and helping Croatia qualify for the World Cup this summer by making the semifinals.Despite showing excellent fluidity and coordination for a player his size, its Saric's skill-level, creativity and feel that makes him unique, and not amazing athleticism. His basketball IQ is simply off the charts, as his knowledge and understanding of the game is extraordinary relative to his age. The place where that's most visible is in his passing ability, as he does a great job of seeing the floor and making teammates better, aided greatly by the outstanding vantage point he enjoys at his size. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dario-Saric-5706/ ©DraftExpress

I think us Super Dario fan boys have a lot of realistic reasons for liking him.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#2146 » by Worm Guts » Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Foye wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Foye wrote:

This kind of thinking hurts my brain and my heart.

Honestly, how jaded are you to think this way?

I could answer long but I will leave it short:
Just watch the Anthony Davis situation in New Orleans in the coming months and you will see what will happen with KAT here, too, in a couple years.

Possibly, but that's 3 years away and it's insane how much can change in 3 years in pro sports. Trading Towns now feels like your overly concentrated on the process of rebuilding, always looking in the future even to the detriment of the present.

If even need to trade Towns in the future, we still have lots of time to figure that out.
minimus
RealGM

Post#2147 » by minimus » Fri May 24, 2019 2:44 pm

GeekFreak wrote:My God the Myth of Super Dario with you fan boys? Sorry Saric is one of the most unathletic players in the league with a flat shot. There is very little upside with this ungodly unathletic excuse for a basketball player. The guy can barely run and can't jump an inch off the ground. He struggles so bad to finish around the rim with that zero inch vertical. Every once in a while that flat shot starts going in and he looks alright, aside from that he downright sucks monkey balls.

You can be a good basketball player without crazy athleticism. See Marc Gasol, Joe Ingles, Steve Nash etc. You can't be good basketball player without brains and heart. See Anthony Harris Bennett.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2148 » by KGdaBom » Fri May 24, 2019 3:16 pm

minimus wrote:
GeekFreak wrote:My God the Myth of Super Dario with you fan boys? Sorry Saric is one of the most unathletic players in the league with a flat shot. There is very little upside with this ungodly unathletic excuse for a basketball player. The guy can barely run and can't jump an inch off the ground. He struggles so bad to finish around the rim with that zero inch vertical. Every once in a while that flat shot starts going in and he looks alright, aside from that he downright sucks monkey balls.

You can be a good basketball player without crazy athleticism. See Marc Gasol, Joe Ingles, Steve Nash etc. You can't be good basketball player without brains and heart. See Anthony Harris Bennett.

MINIMUS!!! Something we actually agree on. :D
minimus
RealGM

Post#2149 » by minimus » Fri May 24, 2019 3:18 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

“That couldn't be any closer from the truth,” - Rosas :wink:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2150 » by KGdaBom » Fri May 24, 2019 3:21 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

“That couldn't be any further from the truth,” - Rosas :wink:

I'm confused. :noway:
minimus
RealGM

Post#2151 » by minimus » Fri May 24, 2019 3:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:MINIMUS!!! Something we actually agree on. :D

“That couldn't be any further from the truth,” - Rosas :wink:

I'm confused. :noway:

Sorry. That couldn't be any closer from the truth. :lol:
GeekFreak
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#2152 » by GeekFreak » Fri May 24, 2019 11:14 pm

Dario Saric has little skill as well. He can't finish at the basket, he has a flat shot that needs to be completely reworked. If your skills are on point you don't need to be super athletic, his skills are not on point.
Folklore
Senior
And1: 171

Post#2153 » by Folklore » Fri May 24, 2019 11:46 pm

I'd like to say that we'd be idiots not to do what we can to draft Darius Bazley
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2154 » by KGdaBom » Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 pm

GeekFreak wrote:Dario Saric has little skill as well. He can't finish at the basket, he has a flat shot that needs to be completely reworked. If your skills are on point you don't need to be super athletic, his skills are not on point.

Geek no offense intended at all, but where are you coming up with these thoughts on Saric. He's not highly athletic, but he is highly skilled per every scouting report. Find me any reputable source that thinks his shot is broken. He got off to a slow start in Philly this year, but oOn the Wolves last year he shot 46% 38% and 88%. Last year he shot 46,39, and 86. That is not indicative of a broken shot. I think you are looking at some other player and mixing him up with Saric.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#2155 » by shangrila » Sat May 25, 2019 12:15 am

Folklore wrote:I'd like to say that we'd be idiots not to do what we can to draft Darius Bazley

I'd take a flier on him at 43 to be sure. Guys like him and Lecque are the kind of prospects I'd be targeting there because even if they bust...meh, it was a mid-2nd.

Any higher than that though? Probably not.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#2156 » by Norseman79 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:24 am

I have been hoping for Bazley in the 2nd, there are others I would like as well, but just think a year in the g-league and he could be ready to go.

Anyone with more info on Jaylen Hoard? Another guy who I would like in the 2nd, with some potential.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#2157 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sat May 25, 2019 2:02 am

I really hope we trade out of the first round.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2158 » by KGdaBom » Sat May 25, 2019 3:45 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:I really hope we trade out of the first round.

You want us to have no first round picks? Do you mean for a bunch of second round picks? Of do you mean for a player. I guess if we can get Beal I would be fine with that. :D
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#2159 » by KGdaBom » Sat May 25, 2019 3:47 am

So which ridiculously athletic guard would we prefer in the round two? Bone or Lecque?
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#2160 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sat May 25, 2019 3:52 am

Just this year. I do not rate the prospects apart from maybe Bol Bol as hit or miss prospect. I don't think it's worth paying for the 11th when I see him being no different to a second rounder that could be a fit guy for Rosas'.
KGdaBom wrote:
Rookie-Mistake wrote:I really hope we trade out of the first round.

You want us to have no first round picks? Do you mean for a bunch of second round picks? Of do you mean for a player. I guess if we can get Beal I would be fine with that. :D

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves