The Robert Covington thread: "Big Shot Bob"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,826

Re: The Robert Covington thread: "Big Shot Bob" 

Post#121 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 4, 2018 6:57 am

I previously said I would wait until the end of the season before throwing the word elite around when discussing Glovington. I think I need to retract that statement.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#122 » by bondom34 » Tue Dec 4, 2018 7:22 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,837

Post#123 » by Domejandro » Tue Dec 4, 2018 9:09 am

bondom34 wrote:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQdG8Zv84zqKEzETDjd8KPsClcw9bPETX9v_x_KEAxjv9NrFaWikOoiSaciy1jbMiygg2D-V8DUQn0O/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

Up to 1st in DRAPM (small sample so far but still)

Given Minnesota's transformation defensively with him, I really think he is the leader in the DPOY race. His impact is frightening.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#124 » by KGdaBom » Tue Dec 4, 2018 11:28 am

Klomp wrote:I previously said I would wait until the end of the season before throwing the word elite around when discussing Glovington. I think I need to retract that statement.

Are you ready to call him a star? Or is that reserved for people who score more?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#125 » by KGdaBom » Tue Dec 4, 2018 11:35 am

TheZachAttack wrote:One interesting question: Where do Wolves fans think Covington ranks as a player in the NBA, especially if he can hit 3's at 38% + on 6-7+ attempts per game consistently?

There are some questions such as Covington's performance defensively in the playoffs last season, but I think it's safe to say that Covington is arguably the best defensive wing in the NBA. Or at least, he's in the conversation with Kawhi, Roberson, and a couple of others as the best defender. This is evidenced by Covington finishing 4th in the NBA last season in DPOY voting and 1st team all NBA defense.

Covington's ability to play 1 on 1 D and switch and generate deflections and TOs at a league best rate is huge for a defense. We've seen early on his impact taking the Wolves from a below average defense to #1. Now, the Wolves will probably not continue to be #1, but can they be top 10? They've played good offenses during the stretch so I think it's safe to say that they can.

He may always be streaky offensively, but do you know another player who's considered a "role player" offensively and an elite defensive stopper who is widely considered a top 20 if not top 10 NBA player? Draymond Green.

Now, bigs *as a general rule* are more valuable defensively than wings...but if Covington's value is great enough to take a below average defensive team into a top 10 one...that's huge value.

Plus his value offensively to space the floor and play off the ball makes him a plus offensively and an offensive multiplier.

Covington shooting 40% from 3 this season ranks 2 in RPM, but last year he was 6th or 7th in RPM shooting 37ish%.

There are some limitations to the stat evidenced maybe most strongly by Tyus Jones last season, but what it does show is the positive minutes a player plays when on the floor even if it is somewhat team based.

In fact, guess who was number one in RAPM which adjusts for pace and other variables? Robert Covington. Basically, when Covington was on the floor his team played extremely plus basketball.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/4/27/17292156/robert-covington-top-30-nba-player

Here's a good article that captures this argument. Like Draymond Green, you will have to surround Covington with other elite players for the team to win. But Covington is the perfect #3 star to play with other elite ball dominant offensive players in the same way Green is/was both post KD and pre-KD.

I think there's a good argument that Covington is a borderline top 20 NBA player. What are your guys thoughts?

Top 20 player is a very aggressive take on him, but it just might be right. Top 30 player without a doubt.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#126 » by theGreatRC » Tue Dec 4, 2018 12:22 pm

I cannot believe we got a player of RoCo's ability on defense for Jimmy Butler with our backs against the wall.

Absolute game changer on defense and shoots the most valuable shot in basketball right now, the 3.

On top of that, we got Dario too...

I know RoCo was a great defender in Philly, but do you guys think Thibs & him are a match made in heaven? The whole team looks different on defense, it's like were in the twilight zone.

If the team keeps this up, this trade may have saved Thibs' job
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#127 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 4, 2018 3:55 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:I previously said I would wait until the end of the season before throwing the word elite around when discussing Glovington. I think I need to retract that statement.

Are you ready to call him a star? Or is that reserved for people who score more?

Whoops, that was the word I was talking about.

I usually like having two seasons of high-level production before throwing out the word star, but I don't see this being a fluke so I might as well start calling him one now.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 4, 2018 4:53 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Block of the year candidate

Read on Twitter

These are the types of things that don't show up in the box score:

Chris Paul got the ball in the corner and drove baseline, drawing Gorgui Dieng away from Capela as he helped Derrick Rose. It happened over and over again in the playoff series, and usually ended with Paul finding Capela for an easy dunk or Eric Gordon or James Harden for a wide open 3-pointer.

Covington knew what was coming. A voracious film watcher, he had the added benefit of playing for the Rockets as a rookie in 2013-14 and getting to know Capela during training camp in 2014 before he was waived. Covington also played in Philadelphia while Mike D’Antoni was an assistant coach, so he had a good grasp of the system principles that set up the play that was unfolding right in front of his eyes.

Once Dieng took two steps off of Capela and squared his body to meet Paul’s penetration, the point guard slipped a bounce pass to a wide-open Capela under the basket.

“I knew I could get it,” Covington said. “He didn’t have any idea where I was.”

In all of his games against Minnesota, Capela had no reason to expect a pterodactyl to swoop in from out of nowhere to challenge his dunk. He had met precious little resistance in his life against the previously toothless Timberwolves. But Covington and Dario Saric have given this group some serious fangs since coming over from Philly.

In that brief moment, Covington thought back to this training camp days with Capela, and of course to the times the Sixers had faced the Rockets over the last few years, and remembered how the big center likes to spring toward the rim quickly. The key, Covington said, was jumping early to elevate over him before those long arms are fully raised. If you jump too late, you have no chance.

“He’s very athletic,” Covington said. “You have to beat him before he jumps. That’s what I did. I saw the rotation and the way Gorgui was going. He was going to try and switch it out. So I baited him. He had no idea where I was on the court.”

https://theathletic.com/692576/2018/12/04/swats-steals-and-just-maybe-the-dawning-of-a-new-defensive-era-in-minnesota/

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 4, 2018 4:57 pm

Read on Twitter

That last one is someone who might end up being a pretty spot-on player comp for Bob. I know they have different playing styles offensively, but they both wreak havoc defensively in similar ways and are similar body types.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#130 » by KGdaBom » Tue Dec 4, 2018 11:23 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

That last one is someone who might end up being a pretty spot-on player comp for Bob. I know they have different playing styles offensively, but they both wreak havoc defensively in similar ways and are similar body types.

I always LOVED CRASH. The problem is just as his name implied he played so recklessly that he was injured most of the time.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#131 » by minimus » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:19 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes, that is good comp. Although Wallace was more athlethic and not a 3 point shooter. I like that RoCo is relying more on his IQ, general awareness and position in defense. It means that with that wigspan and 3 point shot he will be effective after his 30s.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#132 » by KGdaBom » Wed Dec 5, 2018 1:30 pm

Cras
minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes, that is good comp. Although Wallace was more athlethic and not a 3 point shooter. I like that RoCo is relying more on his IQ, general awareness and position in defense. It means that with that wigspan and 3 point shot he will be effective after his 30s.

Crash was more athletic than 98% of the players in the league.
Neal25
Sophomore
And1: 67

Post#133 » by Neal25 » Wed Dec 5, 2018 5:28 pm

I didn´t expect this level. I knew he was an excellent defender but we hadn´t seen this impact deffensively since... Garnett? Absolutely delighted with him and Saric. I was critical with the trade because I thought we could have achieved more but the consistency, defense, aggressiveness... brought by them I can´t ask for more. I just want a little bit more reduced minutes for him, if he keeps playing nearly 40 minutes per game... that wouldn´t be good.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 6, 2018 5:53 am

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:16 am

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by Klomp » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#137 » by Jedzz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:32 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Amazing to get this kind of player out of that deal. Guy is a joy to watch play the game.

Hope his knee soreness is nothing but a bad case of shellfish inflammation. We need RoCo all season. Hopefully Thibs will use more of the roster and keep everyone a little bit fresher.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#138 » by Slim Tubby » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Per Johnny K at The Athletic, Rob Glovington is scheduled to play tonight against the GSW.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#139 » by Killboard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:57 pm

Read on Twitter
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#140 » by jscott » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 pm