ImageImageImage

The Josh "Nonstop" Okogie Thread: Obi-Wan Okogie Awakens

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

The Josh "Nonstop" Okogie Thread: Obi-Wan Okogie Awakens 

Post#1 » by theGreatRC » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 pm

This kid's already got some hype around the Wolves, opposing commentators love him and he already has his own poster:

What's the ceiling for this kid?

He's already a legit NBA defender, handles are shaky, passing is low key nice, shooting will come along eventually, but what do you think he can become?

I honestly think he's a better player than Wiggins right now and should be a starter with Teague/Okogie/Covington/Saric/Towns

I want to know what you guys think about him
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Re: The Josh "Nonstop" Okogie Thread: Okogie-Wan Awakens 

Post#2 » by walk with me » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Minor but I can’t wait for him to stop traveling out of the triple threat position. He’s ready to make plays, just has to remove that little kink.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#3 » by minimus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:31 am

With this intensity and improved basketball awareness he will be nightmare for PG/SG. I mean when he starts reading opponent plays he will be defensive force. I want see RoCo and Okogie combo more this season. If only we can add defensive minded PG, or Tyus starts to hit these open shots.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#4 » by wolfen » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:26 pm

It's Obi-Wan-Okogie, not Okogie-Wan ;-)
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Post#5 » by Grubie024 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:07 pm

He's got great instincts, a high motor, good athleticism and incredible wingspan for his position (7'0" on 6' 4.5" height). That alone will make him a rotation player (at minimum) in this league.

His shooting stroke looks good from what I've seen, although his percentages don't bear that out. That stroke, his college percentages and long arms (more difficult to contest shots) lead me to believe he'll be an average to above average shooter. Not expecting lights-out shooting though.

His ability to get to the rim is a concern, but we have a pretty small sample size. I have no doubt he'll be an effective cutter though.

It's early, but I could see him being a solid 3&D wing with the potential to further round out his offensive game, thus making him an all-star candidate.

I want to say he's already better than Wiggins, but he's still so raw. Give him like... I dunno, 5 more games... Then he'll be better than Wiggins.
minimus
RealGM

Post#6 » by minimus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:22 pm

I wonder if Wiggins is too lazy to shot that open 3s from corners. Okogie has already made more corner 3s than Wiggins
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,945

Post#7 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm

How high his ceiling is depends on the development of his offensive game.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,338

Post#8 » by Calinks » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Rose says his jump shooting mechanics are already wonderful. If he puts in serious serious work, he can be a guy who blows up in a couple of years. He has the foundations for it. Right now he's likely to be a lifetime role/glue guy with some improvements but its exciting because he has CLEAR potential for more.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
minimus
RealGM

Post#9 » by minimus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Calinks wrote:Rose says his jump shooting mechanics are already wonderful. If he puts in serious serious work, he can be a guy who blows up in a couple of years. He has the foundations for it. Right now he's likely to be a lifetime role/glue guy with some improvements but its exciting because he has CLEAR potential for more.
Yes, his shooting mechanics look good. I think it is more about footwork, stamina and repetition.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#10 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Grubie024 wrote:He's got great instincts, a high motor, good athleticism and incredible wingspan for his position (7'0" on 6' 4.5" height). That alone will make him a rotation player (at minimum) in this league.

His shooting stroke looks good from what I've seen, although his percentages don't bear that out. That stroke, his college percentages and long arms (more difficult to contest shots) lead me to believe he'll be an average to above average shooter. Not expecting lights-out shooting though.

His ability to get to the rim is a concern, but we have a pretty small sample size. I have no doubt he'll be an effective cutter though.

It's early, but I could see him being a solid 3&D wing with the potential to further round out his offensive game, thus making him an all-star candidate.

I want to say he's already better than Wiggins, but he's still so raw. Give him like... I dunno, 5 more games... Then he'll be better than Wiggins.
I already have him rated higher than andrew.
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Re: The Josh 

Post#11 » by Grubie024 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:He's got great instincts, a high motor, good athleticism and incredible wingspan for his position (7'0" on 6' 4.5" height). That alone will make him a rotation player (at minimum) in this league.

I already have him rated higher than andrew.

That's fair :)
He's certainly much more likable (he actually gives a s***).
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#12 » by Slim Tubby » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:52 pm

If it’s crunch time and the game is on the line, I’d rather have Okogie on the floor than Wiggins and it’s not even close. During their Final 4 run, the Gophers had a guard from NYC named Eric Harris who came to MN as a superior defensive talent but his jumper couldn’t hit the broad side of Minneapolis. By his senior year, through a ton of hard work, Harris became a very reliable 3-point shooter and if he didn’t get hurt, I believe we would’ve won the title that year even if the Ganglehoff debacle would’ve wiped it away.

My point being, there is no reason to believe that Josh can’t become a very proficient shooter in time. I’m very excited to watch this kid develop!
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#13 » by wesleyt95 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Klomp wrote:How high his ceiling is depends on the development of his offensive game.

Plays like that Kobe fadeaway when he checked in last game make me wonder how high that ceiling is. With an improved handle he'll be able to get to the rim/freethrow whenever he wants, play tough D on any wing and shooting is the icing on the cake. It depends on how much run Thibs gives him, I think the inconsistent minutes are already holding him back.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#14 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:07 am

I don't want to jinx him, but his shooting is looking just fine to me.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#15 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:39 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I don't want to jinx him, but his shooting is looking just fine to me.

I don't mean to jinx you but you have a great Fantasy Hoops team. :)
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,178

Post#16 » by Tukkerwolf » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:37 pm

On his way to become my favourite Wolf. Great hustle, energy, hits his open shots, passes to the more open team mate. Lovin it!
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#17 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Got to love his energy, but guys, lets let him play 82 games first to see what he can be. Hate to sound down on him because I'm not, but I have seen rookies come out strong and the grind of the season wears them down. If he continues to improve, Thibs will grind him into the ground too.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Re: The Josh "Nonstop" Okogie Thread: Obi-Wan Okogie Awakens 

Post#18 » by theGreatRC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 pm

edited the title to match his nickname

Read on Twitter
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Re: The Josh "Nonstop" Okogie Thread: Obi-Wan Okogie Awakens 

Post#19 » by Murphs56 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Some players just have "it". I was able to tell from a few defensive possessions in the preseason that Okogie had legitimate potential. He's making it very difficult for Thibs to take him out of the rotation.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: The Josh 

Post#20 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 am

minimus wrote:
Calinks wrote:Rose says his jump shooting mechanics are already wonderful. If he puts in serious serious work, he can be a guy who blows up in a couple of years. He has the foundations for it. Right now he's likely to be a lifetime role/glue guy with some improvements but its exciting because he has CLEAR potential for more.
Yes, his shooting mechanics look good. I think it is more about footwork, stamina and repetition.
Once he's got a little time in the nba wisdom helping his timing and decision-making he's going to be a force teams will have to deal with. The shot does need to get consistent but he's still hitting plenty in needed moments. That's the good time and hard time to be on point shooting.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves