Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: | NOP @ MIN | GAME 15 

Post#381 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:25 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Killboard wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Considering that Saric will be the starter soon that is 3 fifths of the starting lineup and Rose has been 1B to Teague's 1A yep it's practically a starting lineup.

Covington can't play 40 minutes though.

His first game with us and he gets 41 minutes. Amazing. Do we win if he just played 36?

Question is, does he play long if he has to play 41 mins a game? And Thibs wonders why people accuse him of running players into the ground. He seems like the type of kid who's Christmas toys never made it to the new year.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#382 » by DaMplsKid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Couple things I saw last night. I think our 3rd quarter problems came down to AD's defense of KAT. AD stepped up to the challenge once KAT went off in the first half. I remember one play particularly where KAT faced up and AD was all over him and forced KAT into a very tough shot. After this our offense became horrible. If KAT cant space the floor on offense Gibson needs to be off the court. We can't have both of them in the pant or close to it.

We really missed Rose. The second unit had no play makers and Tyus is nice but doesn't create any offense. I think moving Gibson to the bench could bring some energy/athleticism to that team. I don't think we can not play Dieng yet because that second unit will get killed on the glass with AT and Gibson/DS. But Dieng and Gibson I think could play well together.

Coveringtons minutes really isn't an issue for me with Rose out we needed to stretch our players out and we all know how Thibs like his defense. I think with Roses back the minutes will get under control.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Post#383 » by Murphs56 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:14 pm

I feel for Tolliver. Came here obviously to play and contribute but I see Thibs going Dieng over him when it comes to frontcourt minutes.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#384 » by King Malta » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:53 pm

I'm hopefuly it's going to be a case of 'horses for courses'. Perhaps Thibs thought we needed an extra traditional big to cope with the larger frontcourt players the Pels have?

If Dario eventually starts (which I think he will), then we might see Tolliver get minutes over Dieng, because a Dieng/Taj frontcourt would have brutal spacing.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#385 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:44 am

Killboard wrote:
The wolves won more games last season, but they struggled in 4th quarters too, even with the "tough guys" you mention. I dont have the stat right blw, but the Thibs wolves are worse than league average giving away leads. I will try to find it.

Then about Towns, he isn't happy with Thibs. The system doesn't help him. Our more played guards aren't pass first or good defenders. Thibs system up to now relays a lot on guards pounding the ball up to infinity and little to none side movement.

Butler had one assist to him in 100 minutes of crunch time last season. That wasn't him choosing anything. That is on Butler not being so team first as he alegadly is. And on Thibs for not calling out Jimmy egoism.

We want him to be a anchor, but we dont want him to be in foul trouble. Know what? That isn't possible. There will be growing pains, specially if the guards can't stay in front of anyone.

But so far this season his defense has improved. He dominated Davis last night. That isn't easy to do at all.

They didn't just win a couple more games. They won a lot more games. You bet their were struggles, and I can guarantee you if Towns was defending the rim last season like he did last night at times, the team probably wins nearly ten more games last year. Jimmy wasn't going to give this team a coupon for a cheap allstar contract because Towns and Wiggins weren't giving it their all enough. Towns just showed that he can do more. He didn't just learn it. He just finally started choosing to do it these past few games. It's wonderful, but he's still not doing it for a full game.

He did dominate Davis last night, for 2.50 quarters. It was great to see. But it wasn't enough because he vanished completely and had Okogie/Covington not hoisted this confused 3rd quarter team on their back it might certainly be a loss right now. They were playing 4 on 5 when Towns was out there in the third. If he's the man, and the man goes jeckyl Hyde on you, it forces everyone to play different.

He wasn't the only one off in the third. Saric lost all ability to shoot late in the third but he just got here, and guys like Teague and Wiggins wouldn't pass to him in the third when he was open. Wiggins got stopped 4 to 5 times trying to ram his head low into two defenders at the rim. Total ugly. They all lost their head in the 3rd when a very good Pels team stepped up their D a little. Everyone with the ball was getting left on an island while the other 4 stood around stationary. No one was trying to get open or draw the defense away from anyone else. This team and its leaders need to keep their head on straight and battle through the thirds. That's what Okogie/Cov did just enough of.

There is a difference between Towns and the others. He's the one that just made a power play for this to be his team. He does not have the luxury of using the third quarter to get lazy, foolish, sleepy, shy and cold all at the same time.

Everyone needs to stop making excuses for the 180 million dollar man. His time is now. He's showing some defense at the rim thankfully now. He's not shying away from the big boys now. All great things. Don't excuse him when he reverts to something else. There is a reason he gets paid a Supermax and it's not for being the sometimes guy.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 688

Post#386 » by karch34 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:21 am

King Malta wrote:I'm hopefuly it's going to be a case of 'horses for courses'. Perhaps Thibs thought we needed an extra traditional big to cope with the larger frontcourt players the Pels have?

If Dario eventually starts (which I think he will), then we might see Tolliver get minutes over Dieng, because a Dieng/Taj frontcourt would have brutal spacing.

That's what I was thinking. Dieng seemed to fit more against AD. Think Toliver and Taj probably winds up being 2nd unit frontcourt more often than not.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves