ImageImageImage

A year later: Rubio to the Jazz trade revisited.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

A year later: Rubio to the Jazz trade revisited. 

Post#1 » by walk with me » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 am

Now that the dust has settled, how does everyone feel about this trade. We’ve got a taste of what okogie can do and seen what Rubio has done since he’s left. Was this trade worth it or not worth it?
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Re: A year later: Rubio to the Jazz trade reviewed. 

Post#2 » by theGreatRC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 am

I love Okogie and i'd still take Ricky back on this team in a heartbeat(Not for Okogie, but as a FA), but yeah i'm happy with the trade so far, Okogie is someone I look forward to watching play
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,849

Post#3 » by life_saver » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:06 am

Not sure whether people have noticed this or not but Rubio has had a terrible start to the season so far....why is he starting seasons so badly? Even first half of his last ssn also wasn't good
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#4 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:33 am

Since the trade.....
Teague - 14.2 ppg (.440 fg%, .360 3fg%, .855 ft%), 7.1 apg, 1.4 spg, 2.5 tpg
Rubio - 12.7 ppg (.406 fg%, .338 3fg%, .869 ft%). 5.6 apg, 1.5 spg, 2.8 tpg

I know Teague wasn't technically part of the trade, but it's a part of the swap because we replaced Rubio in the lineup with Teague, plus adding Okogie this season.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#5 » by LibertyPrime » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:44 am

upriser7 wrote:Not sure whether people have noticed this or not but Rubio has had a terrible start to the season so far....why is he starting seasons so badly? Even first half of his last ssn also wasn't good

I haven't followed him closely for a while... was he busy this offseason?
"The last domino falls here!"
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#6 » by King Malta » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:17 am

It looks to be a good trade so far.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#7 » by shangrila » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:20 am

LibertyPrime wrote:
upriser7 wrote:Not sure whether people have noticed this or not but Rubio has had a terrible start to the season so far....why is he starting seasons so badly? Even first half of his last ssn also wasn't good

I haven't followed him closely for a while... was he busy this offseason?

He's done this the last 3-4 years. He'll turn it on after the deadline.

That's what usually happens anyway.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#8 » by PharmD » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:54 pm

I really like Okogie but it was still a bad trade. The money we spent on Teague should have been used on wing depth and Teague was a bad fit. Teague barely plays defense and there just wasn't enough usage for him to be great on offense. His inability to throw a post entry pass also hurt. A low-usage point that could set up our volume scorers and play good team defense would have helped much more.
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Post#9 » by Grubie024 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Rubio and Teague are about equal - Rubio terrible offense/good defense, Teague has been a disappointment - not good offense/not good defense. Teague is getting paid more unfortunately. BUT, we gained Okogie.
We might be paying our new PG more for no change in output, but Okogie is already an impact player with great potential.

Thibs did good on this one.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#10 » by packforfreedom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:18 pm

it was a bad trade at the time but looks good now, because Okogie really has upside.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:34 pm

When we added both Butler and Teague to KAT and Wiggins it created a mess of too many scorers. With Butler gone Teague's scoring and assist numbers are both through the roof. Okogie's defense is as advertised and his offense is coming around much faster than expected. The Rubio for Teague and Okogie trade is IMO officially a success. This from a guy who hated it.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#12 » by PharmD » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:41 pm

KGdaBom wrote:When we added both Butler and Teague to KAT and Wiggins it created a mess of too many scorers.

Too much frosting, not enough cake
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#13 » by cpfsf » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Great results. Rubio got to the second round and avoided our dumpster fire drama. Minnesota got okogie. Tbh part of me wants to acquire Rubio again but that could get messy. It's not only his skillset I wanr, but he was just such a fan favorite. And the fans are pretty lukewarm to the team right now. Give em another reason to show up to games

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#14 » by Takingbaconback » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Rubio is bad, you can ask the Jazz fans now that they got a closer inspection of him. Teague is not as bad, but still in the same class as Rubio. Rubio would be good coming off the bench and raising the play of the 2nd unit against opposing 2nd units. He would be much more effective coming off the bench, wonder if it will happen after his contract with Jazz ends
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#15 » by MrSparkle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Is there any question that the trade was great? Teague’s been disapponting as a FA pickup, but Rubio is having a career-low start and expiring. Meanwhile Okogie is a really nice project.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#16 » by King Malta » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 pm

PharmD wrote:I really like Okogie but it was still a bad trade. The money we spent on Teague should have been used on wing depth and Teague was a bad fit. Teague barely plays defense and there just wasn't enough usage for him to be great on offense. His inability to throw a post entry pass also hurt. A low-usage point that could set up our volume scorers and play good team defense would have helped much more.

I think you need to view Teague as a separate transaction to the trade. We could've made the same trade and signed a different PG and that wouldn't change the fact that we gave Rubio for the pick that became Okogie.

Looking at it purely as Rubio for Okogie I reckon it's a great trade for us, obviously it's early days though.
McHalesBurner
Junior
And1: 499

Post#17 » by McHalesBurner » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:20 pm

PharmD wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:When we added both Butler and Teague to KAT and Wiggins it created a mess of too many scorers.

Too much frosting, not enough cake

Too many chips in the chocolate chip cookies!
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Re: A year later: Rubio to the Jazz trade revisited. 

Post#18 » by SBM » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:58 pm

Teague is better than Rubio and has had a better career. Rubio was always going to revert
sky4it
Junior
And1: 83

Re: A year later: Rubio to the Jazz trade revisited. 

Post#19 » by sky4it » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:03 am

Ricky's 3 point shooting fell of the map this year just dreadful. I thought as he aged he would get stronger and that would improve, but he still aint that old.
sky4it
Junior
And1: 83

Post#20 » by sky4it » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:04 am

Takingbaconback wrote:Rubio is bad, you can ask the Jazz fans now that they got a closer inspection of him. Teague is not as bad, but still in the same class as Rubio. Rubio would be good coming off the bench and raising the play of the 2nd unit against opposing 2nd units. He would be much more effective coming off the bench, wonder if it will happen after his contract with Jazz ends

Teague is fine, we could do worse.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves