Future of PG position (in MIN)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

Re: Future of PG position (in MIN) 

Post#41 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:45 pm

Killboard wrote:Darius Garland stock should be falling for his injury and should be a prospect to scout in off the court aspects (professionalism, drive, etc). He has a different skillset but could be valuable. Im not confident in Thibs picking him as he neither picked Anunoby when he missed the season, despite to have been mocked in the top 10 previous to that and play a position of need. He picked Patton though, who wasnt injured but already had foot problems his red shirt season at Creighton.

Where are you getting the bolded from?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#42 » by wolfen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:52 pm

OK let me put this out there... This squad is better after it got rid of a superior player for 2 role players (albeit damn good role players). Sure, a lot of it had to do with relationships, but I could argue even more that it was more "fit" than "relationships". Sometimes, you can make a team better by getting rid of a player, and the end result is a better team dynamic off the court, but more importantly ON the court. The problems on the court when Jimmy was here? Too much Jimmy hero-ball. Poor ball movement. Decreased touches to KAT, and to a lesser extend Wiggins. Below average bench play on BOTH ends of the floor. After Butler was traded, ALL of those problems completely reversed.

If we are in it to make a push THIS year, is it possible another roster move could have similar effects? Various problems that exist because this player gets major minutes (is a starter), are that the pace isn't pushed, over-dribbling occurs, early post feeds don't occur, wide open looks by said player aren't taken from the 3 point line. And indirectly, a massive bench spark gets no playing time when the whole team is healthy (Okogie).

So the question is, would you try to move Jeff Teague during the season, even if it meant giving up a 1st round pick to unload him? Keep in mind our first round pick will be somewhere in the 20's, and "typically", teams don't find sure fire rotational players in the late first round, at least it can't be COUNTED on. MOST of the time 20's picks are hit or miss, that being said, we sure found one with Okogie. If such a trade did happen, the end result would be that Tyus would start, and Okogie would get heavy minutes. Many of the problems associated with Teague would disappear, simply by subtraction. This would also give the Tyus lovers their wish - a starting role - in a trial by fire "sh#t or get off the pot" scenario. Keep in mind Bayless will be back in a week or so, so we'll have a solid vet if we do need him to back up the PG position.

I'd think long and hard about doing this, and I'm not even a big Tyus guy, I'm not sure he's a starter in this league, but I AM sure I'm pretty much done with Teague and his play, and not having a key bench cog playing his @ss off out there giving energy and inspiration to the squad. And as I said, including a 20's pick to unload him isn't really a risk, especially in what is considered to be a somewhat down year for this summer's draft.

Possibilities:
Teague & 1st to PHX for Bender (expiring) and De-Anthony Melton (and try to get a 2nd back)
Teague & 1st to NYK for Faried (expiring) and a 2nd round pick
Teague & 1st to ORL for Biyombo (1 year left) and 2nd round pick
Teague & 1st to HOU for Brandon Knight (1 year left), Marquise Chriss (expiring), and 2nd round pick
Teague & 1st to MEM for Parsons (1 year left, healthy now), and 2nd round pick

Other trade ideas? Would you??
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#43 » by Killboard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:19 pm

wolfen wrote:OK let me put this out there... This squad is better after it got rid of a superior player for 2 role players (albeit damn good role players). Sure, a lot of it had to do with relationships, but I could argue even more that it was more "fit" than "relationships". Sometimes, you can make a team better by getting rid of a player, and the end result is a better team dynamic off the court, but more importantly ON the court. The problems on the court when Jimmy was here? Too much Jimmy hero-ball. Poor ball movement. Decreased touches to KAT, and to a lesser extend Wiggins. Below average bench play on BOTH ends of the floor. After Butler was traded, ALL of those problems completely reversed.

If we are in it to make a push THIS year, is it possible another roster move could have similar effects? Various problems that exist because this player gets major minutes (is a starter), are that the pace isn't pushed, over-dribbling occurs, early post feeds don't occur, wide open looks by said player aren't taken from the 3 point line. And indirectly, a massive bench spark gets no playing time when the whole team is healthy (Okogie).

So the question is, would you try to move Jeff Teague during the season, even if it meant giving up a 1st round pick to unload him? Keep in mind our first round pick will be somewhere in the 20's, and "typically", teams don't find sure fire rotational players in the late first round, at least it can't be COUNTED on. MOST of the time 20's picks are hit or miss, that being said, we sure found one with Okogie. If such a trade did happen, the end result would be that Tyus would start, and Okogie would get heavy minutes. Many of the problems associated with Teague would disappear, simply by subtraction. This would also give the Tyus lovers their wish - a starting role - in a trial by fire "sh#t or get off the pot" scenario. Keep in mind Bayless will be back in a week or so, so we'll have a solid vet if we do need him to back up the PG position.

I'd think long and hard about doing this, and I'm not even a big Tyus guy, I'm not sure he's a starter in this league, but I AM sure I'm pretty much done with Teague and his play, and not having a key bench cog playing his @ss off out there giving energy and inspiration to the squad. And as I said, including a 20's pick to unload him isn't really a risk, especially in what is considered to be a somewhat down year for this summer's draft.

Possibilities:
Teague & 1st to PHX for Bender (expiring) and De-Anthony Melton (and try to get a 2nd back)
Teague & 1st to HOU for Brandon Knight (1 year left), Marquise Chriss (expiring), and 2nd round pick

Not agree in believe our picks are going to be mid 20's. I would still working on trading Teague but I don't think he is on a negative contract, just not awesome. If we need attach an asset to trade him just trade Taj instead and play Roco as a PF with the bench unit and Okogie at the 3.
Wharton Alum 08
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#44 » by Wharton Alum 08 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:30 pm

wolfen wrote:OK let me put this out there... This squad is better after it got rid of a superior player for 2 role players (albeit damn good role players). Sure, a lot of it had to do with relationships, but I could argue even more that it was more "fit" than "relationships". Sometimes, you can make a team better by getting rid of a player, and the end result is a better team dynamic off the court, but more importantly ON the court. The problems on the court when Jimmy was here? Too much Jimmy hero-ball. Poor ball movement. Decreased touches to KAT, and to a lesser extend Wiggins. Below average bench play on BOTH ends of the floor. After Butler was traded, ALL of those problems completely reversed.

Possibilities:

Pretty sure Rose would probably slide into the starter role at the 1 with Teague gone.
wolfen
Senior

Post#45 » by wolfen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:39 pm

Wharton Alum 08 wrote:

Possibilities:

Pretty sure Rose would probably slide into the starter role at the 1 with Teague gone.

Maybe, maybe not. I think Rose would be cool with getting the heavy minutes he currently gets, being the unquestioned bench scorer and distributor. Plus he'd probably be out there finishing games as well. The better scenario would be to try Tyus as the starter in that situation and if it doesn't pan out, you could try Rose as the starter with more of a leash on his shot attempts. Not sure that is in his DNA though.
wolfen
Senior

Post#46 » by wolfen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 pm

Killboard wrote:

Possibilities:

Not agree in believe our picks are going to be mid 20's. I would still working on trading Teague but I don't think he is on a negative contract, just not awesome. If we need attach an asset to trade him just trade Taj instead and play Roco as a PF with the bench unit and Okogie at the 3.

I guess I don't see Teague having a lot of value out there. Most teams have either their starting PG or have their future starting PG on the court right now. There are so many good PG's in the league right now, I'm not sure any team would want to take on Teague's contract for this year and next, I'm probably wrong, but that's just my feeling right now. I'm certain it won't happen anyways with Thibs in charge, but if I'm arm-chair gm, I dangle out a Teague trade right up until the deadline. Maybe you're right, maybe he's not a negative contract, and some team would give us an expiring player and maybe a 2nd for him.

As far as adding Taj, Taj + Teague is a lot of money. You'd have to be REALLY creative to pull that one off IMO. The only remote possibility of that happening would be if we have completely crapped the bed and our record sucks by the trade deadline, so I wouldn't root for that one to happen.
wolfen
Senior

Post#47 » by wolfen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Killboard wrote:

Possibilities:

"Rockets Trade Rumors: Brandon Knight Available as Houston Eyes Wing or Guard"
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809733-rockets-trade-rumors-brandon-knight-available-as-houston-eyes-wing-or-guard

IF this is true, maybe they'd do a Teague deal. Not that I like Knight, who is actually healthy now, played a g-league game recently and did well, but it's an opportunity to move JFT...
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,849

Post#48 » by life_saver » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Our PG situation sucks...I hope Teague opts out fgs. It's tough to see good PGs hitting FA market, Kemba might be one of the few such players who will be FA this summer but he is most likely to re-sign with Hornets or will Sign & trade. It's also not easy to get big FA to Minnesota. Considering Thibs din't look like a fan of Rubio, I doubt we are gonna be after Ricky this summer if Thibs is still here. Our best bet is probably draft
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,849

Post#49 » by life_saver » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Terry Rozier anyone? He is gonna be a FA this summer...I don't think Celtics are gonna re-sign him considering their cap situation..personally I find him average
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#50 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:33 pm

upriser7 wrote:Terry Rozier anyone? He is gonna be a FA this summer...I don't think Celtics are gonna re-sign him considering their cap situation..personally I find him average

Nope. Cant defend and is another guy that cant shoot. We already have a few of those.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#51 » by urinesane » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:31 pm

I miss Ricky.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,197

Post#52 » by Neeva » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Wolves need to get a second frp to pick up Tre Jones or Garland.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#53 » by SO_MONEY » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Neeva wrote:Wolves need to get a second frp to pick up Tre Jones or Garland.
Not sure I am high on either, but getting picks is a good thing.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#54 » by Domejandro » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter

He makes so much sense in the starting line-up that it astonishes me he doesn't get looks for being the future Point-Guard.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,952

Post#55 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:00 am

Domejandro wrote:
Read on Twitter

He makes so much sense in the starting line-up that it astonishes me he doesn't get looks for being the future Point-Guard.

My personal opinion is that he doesn't make sense as a starter with Taj starting. If Dario starts, suddenly it would make more sense.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
dred926
Senior
And1: 449

Post#56 » by dred926 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:23 am

garland would be a good pick for us...
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#57 » by Maefteda » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:26 am

I'm all in on Darius Garland. A silky smooth, herky-jerky, 3PT sniper. His measurements aren't the best though and I wonder about his fit next to Okogie in the future, but I love his game.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,197

Post#58 » by Neeva » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:57 am

Maefteda wrote:I'm all in on Darius Garland. A silky smooth, herky-jerky, 3PT sniper. His measurements aren't the best though and I wonder about his fit next to Okogie in the future, but I love his game.

Really why is that? I’d like him a lot but not with our own pick, we need a pick around 18-25 to get him.
I wonder if celtics will get desperate enough to give one of their non lotto frps for rose/gibson/tolliver.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#59 » by minimus » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:13 am

Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
Read on Twitter

My personal opinion is that he doesn't make sense as a starter with Taj starting. If Dario starts, suddenly it would make more sense.

Exactly. I might be mistaken but every team that has a good defender at C AND coach gave us problem when Taj starts, because they are able to adjust and leave Taj open while loading paint with long defenders.
wolfen
Senior

Post#60 » by wolfen » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:32 pm

Somehow I'm hoping we can nab another pick in the upcoming draft, whether it's first or a 2nd, not to actually get an extra player with the pick, but to ensure that you have ammo if you need to trade up at draft time to nab your guy - and of course PG is probably top of the list of our needs for our future. If we're sitting there at 18 and the 15th pick is up and a guy like Coby White is still on the board, use the pick acquired in a trade to move up to get him.

Sadly, the best way for the wolves to improve their PG situation for the future is if they go on a terrible stretch here in the next several weeks and drop out of the playoff race. If that did happen, a Thibs firing wouldn't be a big surprise DURING the season, and after a non-playoff season I would think it would be better than 50% chance of his @ss being kicked out. I'm not rooting for that to happen, I want to see the team catch fire, make the playoffs, and have a great season. But, if Thibs is fired before the trade deadline (Feb 8), playoff teams would certainly be interested in trading for Taj, Tolly, and maybe Rose, and with Thibs out, there would be no problem with a new coach dealing Thibs guys. Glass half full, someone gives a late first for Taj and we get a 2nd out of either Rose or Tolly. You go into the draft with 2 2nd round picks (one high) and 2 first round picks, with ours possibly being in the lottery if we do end up in this situation.

I don't want to pump up Coby White too much because I hope he still goes somewhat under the radar up to the draft. At first I wasn't a huge CW fan, but he has been growing on me, a LOT. We need to remember that this dude is 6-5 and plays with the speed and quickness of a jitterbug 5-11 player. If you haven't see this article (https://accsports.com/acc-analytics/unc-hoops-offense-notes-coby-white/) about CW, take a few minutes and you'll be entertained. The tools to be a dynamic starting PG in the NBA are all there. The shooting, the driving, the speed, quickness, improving passing. I haven't seen him enough to judge him defensively yet, but for my money, he's got the highest upside of all the PG's in the draft.

The quote below from the stepien:

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/11/27/timesaver-102-quick-note-scouting-point-guards/

In recent years, the NBA has moved to a different model of defense — switching — which puts positional versatility on that side at a huge premium. The logical consequence of this change, at least until zone defenses come into play*, is that the NBA will become more and more medium-sized, with the exception of a few standouts or a significant number of part-time players. From this vantage point, weeding out point guard prospects we shouldn’t be looking at has never been easier.

The following are threshold questions of which the answer has to be “yes” to at least one.

1) Is the player medium-sized or does he have a preternatural ability to play up positions on defense? Ala Ben Simmons, Lonzo Ball, Chris Paul, Kyle Lowry, Eric Bledsoe, Donovan Mitchell, Victor Oladipo, Chauncey Billups, very early Rajon Rondo or George Hill. Strength in the NBA is a really important quality. All these guys are long for the position too, with the exception of perhaps Paul and Lowry.

2) Is the player perhaps the best athlete I’ve ever seen? Ala Dwyane Wade, Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose with nods to De’Aaron Fox (speed), Donovan Mitchell (strength and two foot explosion), John Wall (speed) and Mike Conley (speed).

3) Might the player develop one of the best pull-up jumpers ever? Ala Steph Curry, James Harden, Chris Paul, Damian Lillard, Kemba Walker, Mark Price, Chauncey Billups and Steve Nash.

So "YES" to at least ONE of the 3 above, according to the stepien, gives a PG a good shot at being a starting PG on a championship level team. Let's break it down. #1 - Medium size OR preturnal ability to play up position: Check. He's a 6-5 PG, to me that's "medium" to slightly above. CP is 6-0, Russ is 6-3. Wall is 6-4. CW's taller than all of them. #2 - "Best Athlete" I've ever seen? I don't like how the stepien words this because "best" implies ONE and their list has several. An argument can be made that CW is just as fast as De'Aaron Fox, so CHECK. #3 - "Best pull up jumpers ever" - again, I don't like the wording, instead why not just say ELITE level pull-up potential. I'll say this about CW - he can get his shot off WHENEVER he wants to with his moves and quickness, including pulling up from 3 and mid-range. I'm not going to say "CHECK" for this category, but it's easy to see that is a big part of his game and he's really good at it.

He's shooting 42% on almost 6 3's a game and shoots nearly 80% from the line on a team that plays on the best competition. That is what you call GREAT shooting. 4 assists per game isn't huge, but he's a more than capable passer. He should put on weight as he gets older too. I'll be watching him closely, especially his defense, he gets less than a steal a game, which does concern me, since steal numbers are big translators from college to the pros as far as guaging defensive potential. Check him out Saturday against Kentucky, I know I'll be watching. The stepien's CW breakdown: https://www.thestepien.com/coby-white/

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves