Fire Richard Pitino: Gophers Basketball OT Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

sky4it
Junior
And1: 83

Fire Richard Pitino: Gophers Basketball OT Thread 

Post#1 » by sky4it » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:09 am

Barely beat North Florida tonight.

Pitino sucks at recruiting. These teams are anemic. The stands are mostly empty.

Eric Musselman, somebody who can keep the in state talent at home.

This sucks.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Re: Fire Richard Pitino 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:32 am

Wut?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#3 » by K4P » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:43 am

pretty sure that's not how you spell Thibs but ok
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#4 » by Worm Guts » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:56 pm

sky4it wrote:Barely beat North Florida tonight.

Pitino sucks at recruiting. These teams are anemic. The stands are mostly empty.

This sucks.

We'll see how it looks at the end of the Big10 season. I didn't watch the game, but 9 points seem way too close for a team like North Florida. They are just a week removed from beating a ranked team though.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,849

Post#5 » by life_saver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:13 pm

I got to know that he is coach of Gophers Basketball team due to your thread lol
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Keep in mind we had no Dupree McBrayer for the game, as he returned home and is burying his mom today. Not only is that a significant piece of the rotation, but this type of event can affect the whole team.

Also, Kalscheur cannot go 0-10 FGs if the Gophers want to win games.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Re: Fire Richard Pitino: Gophers Basketball OT Thread 

Post#7 » by Calinks » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:42 pm

LOL might was well turn this into the official gophers basketball OT thread.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#8 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:52 am

No posts for a while Been pretty good but lost the other day.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#9 » by urinesane » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:02 am

This sucks.

Eric Musselman can change the weather and recruit more hot chicks to the U of M?
sky4it
Junior

Post#10 » by sky4it » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:14 am

urinesane wrote:

This sucks.

Eric Musselman can change the weather and recruit more hot chicks to the U of M?

Something has to give, we got blown out by a crappy Illini team. In state players leave, the team at best is average and attendance sucks, and Pitino takes in millions. time to go.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:55 am

It wouldn't shock me to see a coaching change, and I'd be fine with it.

Musselman would be an interesting hire. Obviously has the Minnesota roots, but I feel like Coyle would go a different direction.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#12 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:42 am

The Gophers are a hard sell to recruits. I mean it has to be built up. Minnesota in general is a hard sell in all sports except Hockey lol
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#13 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Klomp wrote:It wouldn't shock me to see a coaching change, and I'd be fine with it.

Musselman would be an interesting hire. Obviously has the Minnesota roots, but I feel like Coyle would go a different direction.

It would shock me considering his contract runs thru 21-22 season. That's a lot of ching to eat for a team not making money. And how much would it cost you to bring in someone better? If you try to lowball a coach with little experience and no name for himself, the recruits will completely overlook the U.

It takes time to build, and it started with Coffee. Once the U is a little more respectable (hopefully) we should get a couple of surprise players want to come/stay here.

Another coach means we are dead for at least 5-6 again. Lets keep trying to build, at least he's got a name.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#14 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:08 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Klomp wrote:It wouldn't shock me to see a coaching change, and I'd be fine with it.

It would shock me considering his contract runs thru 21-22 season. That's a lot of ching to eat for a team not making money. And how much would it cost you to bring in someone better? If you try to lowball a coach with little experience and no name for himself, the recruits will completely overlook the U.

It takes time to build, and it started with Coffee. Once the U is a little more respectable (hopefully) we should get a couple of surprise players want to come/stay here.

Another coach means we are dead for at least 5-6 again. Lets keep trying to build, at least he's got a name.

Pitino is in his 6th year, why are we starting with Coffee?
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

Pitino is in his 6th year, why are we starting with Coffee?

Well considering the dumpster he inherited, he had to make the U attractive again. Coffee was his prized recruit. Now you are seeing more local kids that WANT to go to the U.
He should be doing better, but not fired.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:20 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:It would shock me considering his contract runs thru 21-22 season. That's a lot of ching to eat for a team not making money. And how much would it cost you to bring in someone better? If you try to lowball a coach with little experience and no name for himself, the recruits will completely overlook the U.

I disagree with most of this.

You bring up recruits overlooking the U if they lowball a coach with little experience, but isn't that exactly what we did in the first place with the Pitino hire? So either the effect on recruits won't be as significant as you think or it should be obvious why Pitino should go.

I don't think it's a 5-year wait if we change coaches. This isn't football, where there are 22 starting spots you have to find. All you need is five guys on the floor in basketball, which can speed up the turnaround process.

And while I suppose he has a name, technically he has his daddy's name....and it doesn't hold much weight in college basketball circles at the moment.

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Klomp wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:It would shock me considering his contract runs thru 21-22 season. That's a lot of ching to eat for a team not making money. And how much would it cost you to bring in someone better? If you try to lowball a coach with little experience and no name for himself, the recruits will completely overlook the U.

I disagree with most of this.

You bring up recruits overlooking the U if they lowball a coach with little experience, but isn't that exactly what we did in the first place with the Pitino hire? So either the effect on recruits won't be as significant as you think or it should be obvious why Pitino should go.

I don't think it's a 5-year wait if we change coaches. This isn't football, where there are 22 starting spots you have to find. All you need is five guys on the floor in basketball, which can speed up the turnaround process.

And while I suppose he has a name, technically he has his daddy's name....and it doesn't hold much weight in college basketball circles at the moment.

Fair enough.
But without his Dad's name, I doubt we would have got Coffee to come here, Oturo, Gabe, and Hurt still hasn't ruled us out. (Even though we ALL know he aint coming)

Guess, I have seen my share of coaches before and after Clem, and none of them gained much traction here. Pitino, dad's name or not is probably the best coach we can get right now. Plus he's signed until 2022. If he doesn't get to the dance and make some noise, then he should be allowed to finish with Coffee, and let everyone else transfer before he's canned.
I just don't see the recruiting bearing anything if he leaves.
sky4it
Junior

Post#18 » by sky4it » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:34 am

I think its time for Pitino to go. the loss tonight to a very average Badger team is too much to take. He did recruit Daniel Otoru, but the kid was Minnesota loyal so what? He wont get the other Hurt guy and he sucks at recruiting.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:42 am

sky4it wrote:I think its time for Pitino to go. the loss tonight to a very average Badger team is too much to take. He did recruit Daniel Otoru, but the kid was Minnesota loyal so what? He wont get the other Hurt guy and he sucks at recruiting.

Wisconsin isn't average...

sky4it
Junior

Post#20 » by sky4it » Fri Feb 8, 2019 12:40 pm

Klomp wrote:
sky4it wrote:I think its time for Pitino to go. the loss tonight to a very average Badger team is too much to take. He did recruit Daniel Otoru, but the kid was Minnesota loyal so what? He wont get the other Hurt guy and he sucks at recruiting.

Wisconsin isn't average...

Your right Klomp they are ranked, since we beat them in Wisconsin , I didnt they they were very good.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves