ImageImageImage

Tom Thibodeau fired as Coach and VP of basketball.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Re: Tom Thibodeau fired as Coach and VP of basketball. 

Post#341 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:47 pm

MN7725 wrote:
Calinks wrote:One thing I find interesting. Last year, when we did win and had a good season, many fans and even myself for a lot of it, felt like the joy/excitement wasn't where it should be. Something always felt off and it was strange because we were having the best season in years. Now I have to wonder if that also stemmed from the atmosphere Thibs and maybe Butler, fostered. Was it so all consuming that even fans who have no direct contact with the organization, could feel some vestiges of that vube? Kind of crazy to think about.

What are you basing that on?

Attendance was up pretty significantly, I assume TV ratings were too

If you're basing it on Twitter or fan forums like this, that's terrible perspective

I don't think it was a financial hit, just a feeling. Fans, media, there was this constant, frustration or cloud over everything. It didn't affect me that much but I noticed it and I know lots of fans complained about it being joyless or frustrating. It may have been something else, team play style, body language, don't know but something was off. Also why I think so many people wrote us off this season before the Butler drama. It was like we already peaked in the eyes of many which didn't make sense if you looked at the team on paper and assumed Butler was back.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#342 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:02 am

I notivced it sometimes as well last year. Wiggins was rarely offering anything when Butler was around. Everything felt like a struggle even when individually some guys were having good days. The offense just didn't work together well. Late games were such a struggle often last season for the talent that was there.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#343 » by MN7725 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:50 am

I'm curious

I see some variation of the following

-Thibs wanted to trade Wig for Butler, Taylor didn't
-Trade would have been Wig straight up for Butler
-Thibs didn't want to max Wig, Taylor forced it

I see these posted constantly like they are fact, but are they literally based on the single podcast Darren Wolfson did where he said

“I’m lead to believe that believe that Thibs had a somewhat open mind on moving Wiggins to Chicago, but Glen Taylor stepped in almost immediately and said no, Andrew is staying. They told Chicago within the first ten minutes of talk that Wiggins is off the table.”

https://clutchpoints.com/timberwolves-news-tom-thibodeau-glen-taylor-different-andrew-wiggins-trade-piece/

Did anyone else ever report that?
Did the Bulls even want Wiggins?
Has anyone even reported Thibs actively didn't want to max Wiggins?

This isn't a blame Taylor, blame Thibs post, not even question Wolfson's reporting

I'm intellectually curious if these "facts" about Taylor/Wiggins/Thibs morphed from this single blurb from a single podcast from a single reporter

I simply haven't seen anything in regards to those points that wasn't based on this single report
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#344 » by PharmD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:04 am

AirP just repeats it as if it is gospel fact over and over until people get sick of arguing with him and give up. Pretty much how Goebbels convinced everyone the Jews were bad.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#345 » by Note30 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:03 pm

PharmD wrote:AirP just repeats it as if it is gospel fact over and over until people get sick of arguing with him and give up. Pretty much how Goebbels convinced everyone the Jews were bad.

Jesus you just compared some dude who's obsessed with a coach to Nazi propaganda, damn man that's pretty cold.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Folklore
Senior
And1: 171

Post#346 » by Folklore » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Note30 wrote:
PharmD wrote:AirP just repeats it as if it is gospel fact over and over until people get sick of arguing with him and give up. Pretty much how Goebbels convinced everyone the Jews were bad.

Jesus you just compared some dude who's obsessed with a coach to Nazi propaganda, damn man that's pretty cold.

Yeah that's going too far man
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#347 » by Klomp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:49 am

The moment we all should've realized hell froze over and the world of Thibs was about to end....

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#348 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 pm

ridiculous

How about you start describing how you think people are wrong about something and stop the use of your own shady tactics.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves