ImageImageImage

Thibs fired. Next steps?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,177

Re: Thibs fired. Next steps? 

Post#21 » by Tukkerwolf » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:53 pm

I can't believe people want to start tanking again.... after all those years of sucking we have a respectable team and some of you want to blow it up by trading our best players?
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#22 » by TaylorTag » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:58 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
MPLSwolves wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:Trade Gibson, Rose, Teauge, Tyus, Tolliver and Bayless for picks and 19-20 salary is the logical next step. Use what picks you need to move Dieng before 20-21, Add FA around Towns et al. (fingers crossed). If some way things line up where you can get a second FA to come here then move Wiggins. To me that is the only plan they can have, or they just don't care.

P.S. Dario is only 24.

I could see Ryan Saunders being an advocate for Dieng. They've known each other for a long time and he is the only real backup Center on the roster. I definitely think Tolliver and Rose should be traded as they are quality guys who teams will want. Gibson is good too, but he has a big contract so teams that are looking to make a title run likely will not have enough cap space to take him on in a trade. Same goes for Teague. Not sure anyone would want Bayless.

I would be happy if we just move Tolliver and Rose for draft picks.

Gibson's big contract is movable because it is an expiring, a team can dump some 19-20 salary on us, Teauge has a player option, while he likely opts in, should you trade him for a lesser player or players he has value and is also movable. Bayless is an 8mil expiring as well and is also movable and might be best paired with Tolliver in a trade to take on 19-20 money.

I don't see the point of taking on 2019-2020 salary. We are already pushing it as far as the luxury tax.

As far as Teague, I think the best case scenario is the Wolves offer him something like a 3yr/$27M deal. That would cut $10M from his salary next year, and in return we give him long-term stability. The Wolves would then offer the same deal to Tyus. Teague might deny that contract offer and just opt in on his $19M player option, but it's worth a try.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#23 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:33 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
MPLSwolves wrote:I could see Ryan Saunders being an advocate for Dieng. They've known each other for a long time and he is the only real backup Center on the roster. I definitely think Tolliver and Rose should be traded as they are quality guys who teams will want. Gibson is good too, but he has a big contract so teams that are looking to make a title run likely will not have enough cap space to take him on in a trade. Same goes for Teague. Not sure anyone would want Bayless.

Gibson's big contract is movable because it is an expiring, a team can dump some 19-20 salary on us, Teauge has a player option, while he likely opts in, should you trade him for a lesser player or players he has value and is also movable. Bayless is an 8mil expiring as well and is also movable and might be best paired with Tolliver in a trade to take on 19-20 money.

I don't see the point of taking on 2019-2020 salary. We are already pushing it as far as the luxury tax.

As far as Teague, I think the best case scenario is the Wolves offer him something like a 3yr/$27M deal. That would cut $10M from his salary next year, and in return we give him long-term stability. The Wolves would then offer the same deal to Tyus. Teague might deny that contract offer and just opt in on his $19M player option, but it's worth a try.

As for the LUX we have about a 2mil window this year and we will have even more room next year. Guys to target might be C. Lee, C.J. Miles, Mozgov ect... Guys on two year deals that expire entering 20-21, which is the soonest we could have capspace. Of course you could kick the can down the road an extra year and not have to worry about trading Gourgi, but I think they would prefer to expedite the process and of course you have Dario to think about at that point. 20-21 is the CLEAR target year, and offering contracts that extend past that is about the worst thing you can do and lacks forward thinking, not that it would surprise me if they did just that, it is the Timberwolves after all.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#24 » by wolves_89 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:14 pm

The first thing I'd do would be to move Saric into the starting line-up and make a serious effort to trade Gibson. Filling the PF minutes with Saric and Tolliver might even improve the team by adding more shooting to the rotation. Gibson is unlikely to be re-signed so it makes sense to see if we can get something with future value in a trade

Next I'd make Teague available and move him in any deal that either gets expiring money back or a similar tier player at a different position. Then I'd start Jones at PG and have him split the minutes with Rose.

I think the team should start building for the future by moving on from Gibson and Teague. I don't think the team would lose much on the court this season and we'd be better positioned going forward.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,742

Post#25 » by AirP. » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:22 pm

minimus wrote: I just hope that Tayor has learned how to hire best fit coaches and GM and how to control them.

I hope Taylor hires competent coaches that can manipulate him (or we could say "trusts" them). Taylor doesn't have a good basketball mind, the more he can be manipulated by a competent basketball coach/FO the better for the franchise. Ryan may actually have that ability because of the situation (being tied to the franchise like he is).
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#26 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jan 9, 2019 2:14 am

MPLSwolves wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
MPLSwolves wrote:I could see Ryan Saunders being an advocate for Dieng. They've known each other for a long time and he is the only real backup Center on the roster. I definitely think Tolliver and Rose should be traded as they are quality guys who teams will want. Gibson is good too, but he has a big contract so teams that are looking to make a title run likely will not have enough cap space to take him on in a trade. Same goes for Teague. Not sure anyone would want Bayless.

We won't get Teague for $9million a year.
Folklore
Senior
And1: 171

Post#27 » by Folklore » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:49 am

We burn Aderp, KaBoom and Walk with me into a wall accounts at the stake.Its like listening to a child predator sympathizer talk about what should be done to improve preschools at this point.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#28 » by minimus » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:32 pm

I hope that we will scout all these guys who never lived up expectations but still have talent and potential. Noah Vohlen, Mario Hezonia, Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot etc. We need to be more active now to find new talents. It did not make sense with Thibs since he never trusted young players, but it might make more sense with Ryan.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#29 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:07 pm

minimus wrote:I hope that we will scout all these guys who never lived up expectations but still have talent and potential. Noah Vohlen, Mario Hezonia, Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot etc. We need to be more active now to find new talents. It did not make sense with Thibs since he never trusted young players, but it might make more sense with Ryan.

David Kahn did that alot. I don't know that it ever really paid off. It's probably important to put real effort into evaluating these guys on individual basis, whether they are former lottery picks, G-League All-Stars or Euros.
minimus
RealGM

Post#30 » by minimus » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
minimus wrote:I hope that we will scout all these guys who never lived up expectations but still have talent and potential. Noah Vohlen, Mario Hezonia, Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot etc. We need to be more active now to find new talents. It did not make sense with Thibs since he never trusted young players, but it might make more sense with Ryan.

David Kahn did that alot. I don't know that it ever really paid off. It's probably important to put real effort into evaluating these guys on individual basis, whether they are former lottery picks, G-League All-Stars or Euros.

I would follow MIA, MEM, SAS examples. Whiteside, Derrick Jones etc. This being said I think we need to combine these strategy with some Daryl Morey contract negotiation tactics: multi-year contract with non guaranteed money.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#31 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:Trade Gibson, Rose, Teauge, Tyus, Tolliver and Bayless for picks and 19-20 salary is the logical next step. Use what picks you need to move Dieng before 20-21, Add FA around Towns et al. (fingers crossed). If some way things line up where you can get a second FA to come here then move Wiggins. To me that is the only plan they can have, or they just don't care.

P.S. Dario is only 24.

Agreed but not Tyus. By trading him you only bring uncertainty to a key position in the roster. Rookies in that position often take more time than in any other.

Also, trade Gibson, Rose, Teague, Tolliver and Bayless for picks and (bad) salary (or who will be sendings picks other way?) wont let us add FA around Towns in the future. The only one who has a slim chance of return close to that value is Teague, and teams around the league doesnt like trade future assets for players options. If we want cap space we must let expire most of them.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:30 pm

Killboard wrote:

P.S. Dario is only 24.

Agreed but not Tyus. By trading him you only bring uncertainty to a key position in the roster. Rookies in that position often take more time than in any other.

Also, trade Gibson, Rose, Teague, Tolliver and Bayless for picks and (bad) salary (or who will be sendings picks other way?) wont let us add FA around Towns in the future. The only one who has a slim chance of return close to that value is Teague, and teams around the league doesnt like trade future assets for players options. If we want cap space we must let expire most of them.

Tyus is an expiring and not likely worth re-signing, if we can trade him and get something for him we should. We can add a stop gap or two on one-year deals.

Additionally, letting the players expire doesn't get you space, you don't have a chance at space until 20-21, that is why you can take on 19-20 salary which expires the same year as Teauge should we be unable to trade him. That leaves finding someone entering 20-21 to take on Gourgi's $17,287,640 last year, for a pick that we either received via trade or one of our own in the future. That is how you open up flexibility to add a FA around Towns. Should you sign Tyus for more than one year this doesn't work, which is why you trade him.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#33 » by wolfen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:53 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Killboard wrote:

P.S. Dario is only 24.

Tyus is an expiring and not likely worth re-signing, if we can trade him and get something for him we should. We can add a stop gap or two on one-year deals.

Additionally, letting the players expire doesn't get you space, you don't have a chance at space until 20-21, that is why you can take on 19-20 salary which expires the same year as Teauge should we be unable to trade him. That leaves finding someone entering 20-21 to take on Gourgi's $17,287,640 last year, for a pick that we either received via trade or one of our own in the future. That is how you open up flexibility to add a FA around Towns. Should you sign Tyus for more than one year this doesn't work, which is why you trade him.

OK, I'll bite on this. End game is a big wad of money for the 20-21 free agency period.

Trade Tyus, get back late first. Let's say we get 2 more 2nds out of some of the players that were mentioned. Trade Gorgs and a late first to unload him. This off-season, sign a 1 year deal with any PG like: Ish Smith, Corey Joseph, Rose, Isaiah Thomas, Jerian Grant, Tim Frazier, Wade Baldwin, Juwan Evans, etc. If needed, sign other 1 year deals to fill out roster.

In this scenario we're likely a late lottery team, let's say we draft at 10. Use that to take BPA at any position other than center.

Play next season with Teague and 1 year deal guy at PG. At the wing, play Wigs, Cov, Okogie, maybe KBD would be ready. Saric and KAT are your posts. Backup posts? Maybe another 1 year deal guy or again, KBD. The rookie could be anyone from Keldon Johnson, Rui H, Nickiel Alexander-Walker, Jarrett Culver, Darius Garland, Sekou D, Kevin Porter, etc. I'd be happy to take Culver, Garland, or NAW in that scenerio but damn I can't decide.

After next season we'll have Teague off the books as well and we'll have saved getting out of Gorg's contract, and not offering Tyus, so there's your wad of cash. Offering Tyus a contract off-season cuts into that wad, probably so much so that it would prevent us from having a big enough pile to bring in a top notch FA. I like your plan...
Killboard
Analyst

Post#34 » by Killboard » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:33 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Killboard wrote:

We have 93M commited right now for the 20-21 season for 6 slots. We will have probably 2 more players with next year draft, and Dario cap hold for 9 slots, 105M or so with all of them. Projected cap space would be around 120M(?).

So in the case we could trade Dieng for NOTHING coming back we would have around 25M to sign FA (after include open slots cap holds). That would mean a low level max or 2 good starters on some discount.

So depending on how good of destination Minnesota is percieved could be good or bad. I really think FA is overpay for us, and always is a chance to strike out.

I still thinking the clearest way is develop young talent, specially if they are contributing. That's why I dont like the idea about trading Tyus.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:42 pm

Killboard wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Killboard wrote:

We have 93M commited right now for the 20-21 season for 6 slots. We will have probably 2 more players with next year draft, and Dario cap hold for 9 slots, 105M or so with all of them. Projected cap space would be around 120M(?).

So in the case we could trade Dieng for NOTHING coming back we would have around 25M to sign FA (after include open slots cap holds). That would mean a low level max or 2 good starters on some discount.

So depending on how good of destination Minnesota is percieved could be good or bad. I really think FA is overpay for us, and always is a chance to strike out.

I still thinking the clearest way is develop young talent, specially if they are contributing. That's why I dont like the idea about trading Tyus.

I think it is cute that you use Tyus and talent in the same sentence, but in all seriousness I find it hard to believe that you would pass on FA due to Tyus, it is questionable in my eyes to say the least.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#36 » by Killboard » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:24 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Killboard wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

I think it is cute that you use Tyus and talent in the same sentence, but in all seriousness I find it hard to believe that you would pass on FA due to Tyus, it is questionable in my eyes to say the least.

Well, your eyes arent mine. But instead of proposing my eyes to be better than yours I would quote multi year RPM to say Tyus has been pretty good for a 22 YO up to now in a limited role.

But isnt that Im against signing a great player. Is just that Im not confident we will be a the top of the prefered destinations, and Im against overpay with 2 max players in the roster already. I would wait and see if Tyus gets offers this offseason to know his percieved value. There is a chance that with his next extension he could be traded really easy in the eventual case Towns/Wiggins/Coach can recruit a top tier FA that summer.
minimus
RealGM

Post#37 » by minimus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 am

We need to steal one of these guys in FA market: Bender, Noah Vonleh, Christian Wood, Chriss
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#38 » by walk with me » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:42 pm

minimus wrote:We need to steal one of these guys in FA market: Bender, Noah Vonleh, Christian Wood, Chriss

Lmao where do you come up with this stuff? bender wood and criss actually suck. Wood and criss would be the worst players on our team. Noah is ok but hardly a diff maker. Are you a bot?
minimus
RealGM

Post#39 » by minimus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:43 pm

I like Ryan's rotation and minutes management. For instance, last night I was wondering why Okogie got minutes in clutch, but Josh made a hustle play and then assisted Taj for an easy basket under the rim.
Obviously without Teague playing at 100%, and Tyus we just could not execute at all. So once we stabilize PG position (I hope we resign Tyus long term) next two biggest needs are size at wings and rim runner/athletic bigman. Just looking at our roster I am okay with Wiggins/Okogie combo at SG, Teague/Tyus/Rose at PG, but we badly needs someone to backup RoCo and Saric/KAT.
That is why we need to try to get these guys in FA market: Bender, Noah Vonleh, Christian Wood, Chriss.
Neals
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#40 » by Neals » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 am

Hey Guys, My First Post FYI,

Once this season is complete ( We can still make the Playoffs maybe...) we should look at Becky Hammon as head coach. She comes from a successful culture in SA and has been good with young/fringe players (summerleague). Also this will get some media national attention that never hurts.I don't think we need massive changes we do need at least 1 elite 3 point shooter. I don't think Wiggins is a write off just yet. I don't trust us against good teams at the moment and a veteran player could help us with that. DRose knows how to push it in a conference finals.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves