ImageImageImage

Why has trading drose become so popular amongst the wolves fan base?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Why has trading drose become so popular amongst the wolves fan base? 

Post#1 » by walk with me » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:19 pm

Can anyone attempt to explain this to me?

One of the only guys who consistently lays it on the line nightly
Is a good mentor to kat and Wiggins
And actually has said publicly that he wants to resign

Now everyone wants him out? What the hell is this? He’s on a 1 year deal at 30 years old. Why would anyone even want him anyways unless all of their starting PGs simultaneously became out for the season. Some of the wolves fans are insane to me lol.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Re: Why has trading drose become so popular amongst the wolves fan base? 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:55 pm

I think the reason is obvious. If we’re not going to make the playoffs and he’s a free agent at the of the year, it makes sense to get something while you can. And given his cheap contract it’s not that unrealistic that someone who’s looking to make a playoff run would give something up for him.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by walk with me » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I think the reason is obvious. If we’re not going to make the playoffs and he’s a free agent at the of the year, it makes sense to get something while you can. And given his cheap contract it’s not that unrealistic that someone who’s looking to make a playoff run would give something up for him.

This franchise has the most unreasonable trade expectations.... thinking rationally nobody would want drose
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#4 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:15 pm

walk with me wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I think the reason is obvious. If we’re not going to make the playoffs and he’s a free agent at the of the year, it makes sense to get something while you can. And given his cheap contract it’s not that unrealistic that someone who’s looking to make a playoff run would give something up for him.

This franchise has the most unreadable trade expectations.... thinking rationally nobody would want drose

Why not? And if that's true, then why do we want him?
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by walk with me » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:27 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
walk with me wrote:

This franchise has the most unreadable trade expectations.... thinking rationally nobody would want drose

No team is giving up assets for a 1 year drose rental

Every playoff team for the most part is locked with PGs
Every none playoff team is looking to tank

It’s totally and ludicrously irrational to come up with trade scenarios as if other teams would accept them. ESP when drose said out of his own mouth he wants to stay.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:29 pm

walk with me wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
walk with me wrote:

No team is giving up assets for a 1 year drose rental

Every playoff team for the most part is locked with PGs
Every none playoff team is looking to tank

It’s totally and ludicrously irrational to come up with trade scenarios as if other teams would accept them. ESP when drose said out of his own mouth he wants to stay.

It's not irrational to think someone might give up a late first round pick for a rotation player, especially if there's an injury. I have no idea why you would say that it is.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#7 » by Neeva » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:45 pm

And here I thought u would have followed Thibs ( with your head in his__!) out the door smh
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Post#8 » by shangrila » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:05 pm

There's a number of factors, some of which WG already brought up.

He is a FA this season so there is always the possibility he leaves, despite what comments he makes publicly. He could also price himself out of our range regardless of how either the team or he feels so you could lose him for nothing that way. And I'd also be wary about this being a contract year for him. He's shooting the ball so well this year, and so far above his career and even pre-injury levels, that it seems improbable that it would continue. Getting some value for him with this in mind isn't an insane idea, nor is it crazy to think a desperate team on the bubble might offer up some value for renting him to make the playoffs (someone like Washington comes to mind).

There's also a question of long term fit. He's 30 already and with a well known history of injuries, there's no real telling when his body might start breaking down even if he does manage to stay healthy the rest of his career. Combine that with the youth of guys like KAT, Okogie and Wiggins and there's a good reason to believe looking for a younger, longer term option at PG might be the better way to go.

Finally there are those who just don't like him as a person and want him off the team. I haven't noticed it much, if any, here but over at Canis Hoopus (for example) there's a large group that think he's a rapist and don't want to root for him.

Personally, I'm torn. As I said above I'm wary that this is just a contract year scenario for him and once the pressure to get paid is gone he'll regress back closer to his post injury career self, which isn't a good (or even average) player. On the other hand he's helping the team win, which I like, and it's cool to watch the sort of underdog story play out. So right now I'm undecided.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by walk with me » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:20 pm

Neeva wrote:And here I thought u would have followed Thibs ( with your head in his__!) out the door smh

:kissmybutt:
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by walk with me » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:23 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
It's not irrational to think someone might give up a late first round pick for a rotation player, especially if there's an injury. I have no idea why you would say that it is.

Lmao it actually is... nobody will trade any 1st round picks for 3 months of drose. Only in the imagination of wolves fans who think NBA GMs operate like 12 year olds on nba2k...
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,060

Post#11 » by MN7725 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:23 pm

Hardly see Rose's name in the trade thread, other than the "trade everyone" type posts

Bizarre presumption
GI_Slow
Pro Prospect
And1: 381

Post#12 » by GI_Slow » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:47 pm

If Bojan Bodganovic & Ibaka's rental were worth a 1st by the deadline, Rose could absolutely net something like that, there's not many better off the bench players than Rose. That said, no one is proposing to trade him for the sake of it, he has given us very good production for his contract and if he can be resigned in a reasonable deal then doubt someone would be against it.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#13 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:52 pm

walk with me wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Lmao it actually is... nobody will trade any 1st round picks for 3 months of drose. Only in the imagination of wolves fans who think NBA GMs operate like 12 year olds on nba2k...

2 years ago someone traded a 1st round pick for 3 months of Bojan Bogdanavic. This type of thing isn’t even particularly rare.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#14 » by LibertyPrime » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:19 pm

If he wants to stay, then I want to keep him.
"The last domino falls here!"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#15 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 am

Everyone has pretty much covered all of the reasons why some are entertaining the idea.

I'd honestly compare this situation to the 2017 deadline trade of Lou Williams. Minnesota isn't as bad as Los Angeles was that season and Williams wasn't an expiring, but everything else lines up. The Lakers were able to turn him into Corey Brewer (cap filler) and a 1st round pick. Also at that deadline, Serge Ibaka was a upcoming UFA who was traded for a 1st.

It's not like people are campaigning to trade him for crap. People see the likelihood of our current situation. We're in transition right now. One option is to cash in on one of our best trade assets while he's arguably at his peak value he'll have. I'm someone who would be fine if we decide we want to keep him as part of our core going forward (if signed for decent value), but I can also understand and respect those who might not feel the same way.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#16 » by Jedzz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:15 am

I want him to stay. No doubt about it I would rather he stays. But I want the team to have that all figured out and talked out with him soon. Don't want to lose him for nothing because we aren't going to offer enough to stay. If that's the case, then I can't think of many team's benches that he could elevate. Especially a team looking to tip the scales for the playoffs. Sure, Boston doesn't need a PG scorer of his level off the bench. But name all the others that don't. Rubio could get injured yet again and the Jazz might not want to risk their playoffs again. Any team from 3 to 8 in east or west might push chips in.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#17 » by Jedzz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:31 am

Offer Rose to the Rockets for 3 future firsts and Carmelo Anthony. :lol: Why would they do it? To win more. Why would we do it? To at least pretend we have future picks coming our way for once. Melo's cap hit is only vet min now, right?
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#18 » by Neeva » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:12 am

Lets be real he is not going to get us in the playoffs all he is doing is making our lottery pick worse.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#19 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:49 am

For whatever reason our record is far worse when Rose plays than when he doesn't
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,894

Post#20 » by RSP83 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:50 am

what do you guys expect in return for a guy on a minimum contract?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves