R. Saunders as coach. Pro's VS Con's

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Re: R. Saunders as coach. Pro's VS Con's 

Post#21 » by Basti » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Grubie024 wrote:In today's pampered player culture, having a coach who can develop a rapport with the players but still be a good leader/command respect is more important than ever. It would appear this is a strength of Ryan's.

He's regarded as a good analytics guy which most would agree is a big positive.

I can't speak to his play calling but I'm confident he'll make it a strength given his notated dedication as well as his good basketball mind.

I've seen enough to be in favor of giving him a contract.

In case his play calling remains average at best (basing on the comments here - I haven't been able to watch any games in recent months) and his ego hopefully doesn't get in his way, a good assistant coach could be added to the staff to draw up plays.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#22 » by PharmD » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:40 am

Basti wrote:
Grubie024 wrote:In today's pampered player culture, having a coach who can develop a rapport with the players but still be a good leader/command respect is more important than ever. It would appear this is a strength of Ryan's.

I can't speak to his play calling but I'm confident he'll make it a strength given his notated dedication as well as his good basketball mind.

In case his play calling remains average at best (basing on the comments here - I haven't been able to watch any games in recent months) and his ego hopefully doesn't get in his way, a good assistant coach could be added to the staff to draw up plays.

Right. He's been stuck with Thibs' assistants and they no seem so smart.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#23 » by Jedzz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:25 am

PharmD wrote:
Basti wrote:

Right. He's been stuck with Thibs' assistants and they no seem so smart.

I'm having a hard time with much of what people are claiming about him still at this point already. It's a little early and I would like to at least see the spring play out. I've seen positive change from Thibs hangups and other items that still ring the same to me so far. I'm still ready to prepare a thesis on questions I still have.

notated dedication as well as his good basketball mind.
He's been stuck with Thib's assistants?
These ring a bit hollow to me since Thibs was stuck with Ryan as an assistant and people use to complain about Thibs' lack of drawing up plays at end of games and such. Where were the people claiming he could get better assistant coaches to help draw up plays back then? Was he not devoted and dedicated and a good basketball mind? Maybe his mind wasn't the same anymore.

I agree with the point made that if his ego doesn't get in his way that he could find a good assistant to help with such things. We can try to claim that ego got in Thibs way and that he didn't allow his assistants to help him with such things. But if they are the same assistants now...?

What I will say is it has been refreshing watching the team's roster being utilized more. Willingness to limit Rose' minute load seen recently even being wing short. Timing of rotations, timeouts. Good things.

I still see hangups.
A.
With al the injuries and lack of wing depth there is still a lack of trust to let KBD in the game for minor minutes yet. Deng has been utilized and I really enjoy that, yet his minute load is already instantly too high to carry much further than a small stretch with Wiggins out. Maybe there is no connection with Ryan and KBD at all yet. Or maybe not ready at all yet.

B.
Ryan hasn't been able to find a better use for Gorgui Dieng yet. He put Dieng in against Rockets and pulled him out immediately after one screw up. He hasn't done that to anyone else that screws up often enough. If anyone tries to tell us Teague, Okogie, Kat, Saric and others don't have screw ups often I'll call them a liar. Ryan obviously is not a Dieng fan or any brighter about how to get more out of him.

C.
Okogie's blind minute load and starts. He deserves good minutes. Not blind loads and there are other options to choose a wiser minute load. I have seen him pulling Okogie back to bench when he gets really sloppy very recently and then willingness to get him back on the floor later so that's a good sign.

D.
Wiggins isn't being pushed or used any differently. Ryan hasn't gotten through to Wiggins yet either. Maybe a new assistant coach that can 1 on 1 coach him better. When RoCo comes back, we better see Wiggins minute totals drop until he starts getting back to his strengths more.

E.
The injuries. I'm concerned about the amount of injuries and games missed adding up, urgency to doctor up these injuries to get players back in decent time, about training regiments and practice habits to maintain health. It's hard to tell at times whether they have decided to tank or are just trying to survive or what.

Stretch of 4 or 5 losses, then a big push shown to win a Clippers and Rocket games just before allstar break? It's almost as though this team is still talented enough to win when they want to win. Just like the Thibs team that punished the Rockets this year and then went on losing skids and blamed injuries. What did they sell themselves in the locker room to all of a sudden rev them up to play hard these last two games? Can Ryan find a way to keep them this engaged for longer stretches of winning? Can he sell them on a prize to reach for in doing so any more than Thibs did?

I can't wait to see how the spring plays out. A spring of Saric RoCo Rose Okogie and Kat able to play together again, and players like Teague having more energy and less to complain about with a coach that knows his roster depth is all useful. Will Ryan keep using the roster if everyone returns? Can Tyus return strong? This can be a spring where Ryan Saunders solidifies a future leading this team if he can pull this whole thing together for one healthy spring stretch. I hope he does and is able to right all the wrongs of the short Thibs era. Thibs built a decent roster. Maybe Ryan was the Coach that GM Thibs needed. Yet to be proven...
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#24 » by minimus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Maybe we can get Blatt as assistant coach next year.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#25 » by Killboard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Jedzz wrote:
B.
Ryan hasn't been able to find a better use for Gorgui Dieng yet. He put Dieng in against Rockets and pulled him out immediately after one screw up. He hasn't done that to anyone else that screws up often enough. If anyone tries to tell us Teague, Okogie, Kat, Saric and others don't have screw ups often I'll call them a liar. Ryan obviously is not a Dieng fan or any brighter about how to get more out of him.

Thing is... with Saric starting and Taj coming from the bench (which was a good move but late IMO) Dieng is left in an awkward position. But this resides on Thibodeu roster building skills more than Ryan. Taj and Dieng shouldnt play together at all having Tolliver in the bench. And thing is Houston only had Nene as center. Faried is a PF and Dieng is too slow to defend the 3pt line.

Jedzz wrote:E.
The injuries. I'm concerned about the amount of injuries and games missed adding up, urgency to doctor up these injuries to get players back in decent time, about training regiments and practice habits to maintain health. It's hard to tell at times whether they have decided to tank or are just trying to survive or what.

Stretch of 4 or 5 losses, then a big push shown to win a Clippers and Rocket games just before allstar break? It's almost as though this team is still talented enough to win when they want to win. Just like the Thibs team that punished the Rockets this year and then went on losing skids and blamed injuries. What did they sell themselves in the locker room to all of a sudden rev them up to play hard these last two games? Can Ryan find a way to keep them this engaged for longer stretches of winning? Can he sell them on a prize to reach for in doing so any more than Thibs did?

8-9 since Ryan took over. Roco never played for him yet, Tyus played only 2 games, Teague missed 10 and Rose 9.
I will die on Roco hill as the second best player on this roster by a landslide (+3.0 net rating).
Then their 3 PG (and among the best players in the rotation):
Jeff Teague +1.8 net
Derrick Rose +1.4 net
Tyus Jone +1.3 net

So I think he is keeping the team engaged or the record should have been a lot worse.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#26 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:14 am

One of the more interesting things is how the so-called Thibs disciples (Rose, Gibson, Deng) have not only been playing well on the court, but have been vocal supporters of Saunders off the court. I think that was a concern for some fans going in ("trade them while we can"), but those concerns have been unfounded.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:18 am

The 10-game stretch coming out of the break will probably tell us a lot. On paper it's a tough schedule, with 6 of the first 8 on the road. But only 4 games against current playoff teams and 8 of first 10 against the East.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,246

Post#28 » by Murphs56 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:26 am

Love Ryan so far. Yeah he's lost some games but I like how he's not afraid to try something different. Gorgui Dieng is playing like garbage, well we're going elsewhere. No set rotation, anybody can play at any given time.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#29 » by King Malta » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:30 am

Murphs56 wrote:Love Ryan so far. Yeah he's lost some games but I like how he's not afraid to try something different. Gorgui Dieng is playing like garbage, well we're going elsewhere. No set rotation, anybody can play at any given time.

Bang on.

The most annoying thing about Thib's rotations and players getting a lack of time was that it all felt predetermined and that there was no game-time adjustment or flex. Sure, some guys are seeing more/less minutes under Ryan but it feels considerably more flexible and dynamic for the most part.

As mentioned before, his biggest issue so far to me seems to be his plays out of time-outs/late in games. I think you can definitely mitigate that by bringing in an assistant or analyst who excels there, so its not a major problem to me. Hopefully we can get a close to full team post the all-star break and see what Ryan can do with them seeing as we're still remaining relatively competitive whilst down a few bodies.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Pro: More fun to watch on the sideline

Read on Twitter

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#31 » by Jedzz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Klomp wrote:Pro: More fun to watch on the sideline

Read on Twitter

I've seen this during games when action is on the far end and I'm wondering if he's just pantomiming or trying to look like something bothers him. I don't know who he's talking to. He's not yelling down to anyone, just sort of mouthing his disdain for something and then just like this clip he flips a switch and he's smiling and patting someone on the back or whatever. In this clip he turns and winks at someone. Just makes me wonder at times if he's filling dead air with some fake emotions. He's standing there feeling useless at times maybe. I've always wondered why the coaches that don't actually engage the refs or players strongly are going to stand up much at all. Thibs was always barking something and eliciting a reason for standing while addressing something. The best times for Ryan so far are probably when he's sitting with the team, or if he's standing it's to welcome players back to the bench or during a timeout. Otherwise just avoid the standing senselessly stuff.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#32 » by Jedzz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Killboard wrote:8-9 since Ryan took over. Roco never played for him yet, Tyus played only 2 games, Teague missed 10 and Rose 9.
I will die on Roco hill as the second best player on this roster by a landslide (+3.0 net rating).
Then their 3 PG (and among the best players in the rotation):
Jeff Teague +1.8 net
Derrick Rose +1.4 net
Tyus Jone +1.3 net

So I think he is keeping the team engaged or the record should have been a lot worse.

I agree its got to be tough with so many injuries and players missing games. However I don't think I can say they've been engaged each game. If they played near the way they did against the Rockets every game what would the record have been this stretch. I think there has been games when we haven't seen much more than average efforts. It was no different under Thibs. All last season it seemed like 2-3 high effort games followed by two straight bum losses of low effort and discombobulation. Is it any different right now?

To beat the Rockets handily without RoCo and others shows they've had more to work with in other games that they didn't bring those days. The Rockets didn't have Capella this time, but we don't have Butler or RoCo and others either. I like to focus on this contest because we have the playoff series to compare it to where many would say this team never had a shot at the time. They've beat em twice this season already.

This season:

Thibs Era:
Dec 3, 2018 103-91 Rockets had Capella and we had RoCo, Saric, Wiggins, Rose, Jones - Won the 1/2/4 Qs.

Ryan Era:
Feb 13th 121-111 Rockets don't have Capela and we don't have RoCo, Wiggins, Jones,(limited time Rose) Won 3/4 Qs.

Rockets are 33-24 5th
Wolves are 27-30 11th

These records aren't close. It's been said by a few in the media or around the league that this team is still not bringing it every game. Excuses fly immediately about injuries and others claim a lack of talent. But then how does it come together enough to so easily beat some teams this year even when missing so many players? Last year same thing, up against big foes, down against weaker foes. THat speaks to a problem with getting their minds into it to play up enough. This is what I want a coach to change. Change the mindset. Get them competing at their best more often. When and who will be able to do that for this team?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Jedzz wrote:

Read on Twitter

I've seen this during games when action is on the far end and I'm wondering if he's just pantomiming or trying to look like something bothers him. I don't know who he's talking to. He's not yelling down to anyone, just sort of mouthing his disdain for something and then just like this clip he flips a switch and he's smiling and patting someone on the back or whatever. In this clip he turns and winks at someone. Just makes me wonder at times if he's filling dead air with some fake emotions. He's standing there feeling useless at times maybe. I've always wondered why the coaches that don't actually engage the refs or players strongly are going to stand up much at all. Thibs was always barking something and eliciting a reason for standing while addressing something. The best times for Ryan so far are probably when he's sitting with the team, or if he's standing it's to welcome players back to the bench or during a timeout. Otherwise just avoid the standing senselessly stuff.

Wow, you really don't like the guy....

Just because there isn't someone in frame with him or because you can't hear him yelling like a madman doesn't mean he's not talking to someone. This was immediately after Harden was awarded FTs on a foul call. Play was on the other end of the court. He's talking to one of the refs. Reading his lips, I can clearly see him say at the start "No he didn't. He dribbled. He didn't gather"

Killboard
Analyst

Post#34 » by Killboard » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Klomp wrote:One of the more interesting things is how the so-called Thibs disciples (Rose, Gibson, Deng) have not only been playing well on the court, but have been vocal supporters of Saunders off the court. I think that was a concern for some fans going in ("trade them while we can"), but those concerns have been unfounded.

I would have traded rose, taj or tolly for seconds if that didnt mean salary for next season and they dont commit to be here next year on the cheap like luol, but they are good pros. To me, a strong end of season is only worth it if we can bring those guys next year. Otherwise, its better to tank.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#35 » by PharmD » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:57 pm

The Wolves have definitely been bring it lately. Again, we've just gone through a stretch where our point guards are Jerryd Bayless and Isaiah Canaan and our wings were Wiggins and Okogie. That's just not a lot of talent. The fact that we're in so many games it a great tribute to Ryan and Towns.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Killboard wrote:I would have traded rose, taj or tolly for seconds if that didnt mean salary for next season and they dont commit to be here next year on the cheap like luol, but they are good pros. To me, a strong end of season is only worth it if we can bring those guys next year. Otherwise, its better to tank.

At least in Tolliver's situation, that wasn't the case. Both Miles and Patterson (the rumored offers on the table) have player options for next season.

Killboard
Analyst

Post#37 » by Killboard » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 pm

Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:I would have traded rose, taj or tolly for seconds if that didnt mean salary for next season and they dont commit to be here next year on the cheap like luol, but they are good pros. To me, a strong end of season is only worth it if we can bring those guys next year. Otherwise, its better to tank.

At least in Tolliver's situation, that wasn't the case. Both Miles and Patterson (the rumored offers on the table) have player options for next season.

There was rumors on barea and a 2nd for tolliver, but hard to know if that holds water.

Maybe I shouldnt have used the word tank, as Im not proposing lose games on purpose, but give minutes only to guys that are coming back. Chemistry for next season should be the target, not winning games, but obviously both things are related. If we land a playoff spot even better of course.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Killboard wrote:There was rumors on barea and a 2nd for tolliver, but hard to know if that holds water.

Don't see how it would, as I don't think that's a legal trade.

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#39 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Jedzz wrote:

So you enjoyed Thibs standing and hollering all game, but Ryan should sit down and shut up?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#40 » by Jedzz » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:02 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Read on Twitter

I've seen this during games when action is on the far end and I'm wondering if he's just pantomiming or trying to look like something bothers him. I don't know who he's talking to. He's not yelling down to anyone, just sort of mouthing his disdain for something and then just like this clip he flips a switch and he's smiling and patting someone on the back or whatever. In this clip he turns and winks at someone. Just makes me wonder at times if he's filling dead air with some fake emotions..

Wow, you really don't like the guy....

Just because there isn't someone in frame with him or because you can't hear him yelling like a madman doesn't mean he's not talking to someone. This was immediately after Harden was awarded FTs on a foul call. Play was on the other end of the court. He's talking to one of the refs. Reading his lips, I can clearly see him say at the start "No he didn't. He dribbled. He didn't gather"

Yeah, you can clearly read his lips. But why? Why is he even mouthing it out. He's not actually yelling it to anyone that can hear him. In the frame? That's just an example someone here posted. I've been at a Ryan game and have seen him doing it on screen where I can see most of the court, and he's doing that when everyone is down the other end. He's pantomiming or something. I just think it's odd or unique. Just commenting on that. You must really not like me! I don't think he needs to be yelling like Thibs. But I also see what could be him being uncomfortable standing out there sort of acting like he feels he must be doing something. Maybe in a year or so he will figure out just sitting or standing there all stoic and quiet is enough. Interact with your players and avoid the other antics. But if he's going to show his emotions on his sleeve that's fine too. Any Klomp, your posts are at least consistent lately. Consistently defensive about Ryan like any discussion about him must be positive or the world might end. I've got two numbers for you. 8-9. I'm on the fence about him as much as this team is on the fence about winning.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves