Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,955

Re: What are you hearing on Teague? 

Post#21 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:When does the cap officially switch over to the new season? After the Draft, right?

When the new league year starts.

Now shrink, for trades done before the new league year, they use the current salary amounts, right?

Do you know when that new league year starts? I honestly don't know the date, is that the transition that happens like a week before Free-Agency, or is it soon after the Finals?

It's the dead period before FA.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#22 » by Domejandro » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
Klomp wrote:When the new league year starts.

Now shrink, for trades done before the new league year, they use the current salary amounts, right?

Do you know when that new league year starts? I honestly don't know the date, is that the transition that happens like a week before Free-Agency, or is it soon after the Finals?

Got ya, that's what I thought. Damn, that makes trading Jeff Teague during the Draft way more difficult/unlikely.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Him opting in this early suggests to me that him and Minnesota will be looking for a new spot to play.

That's a good point. This being locked in means he's available to trade whenever. Could he be dealt for a late 1st?

Possibly, only if Minnesota takes on a kind of crappy player in return (notice that Kent Bazemore also opted in, I think he is in the same position as Jeff Teague).

Just as an example....

Jeff Teague to ORL for Mozgov + 16
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Do you know when that new league year starts? I honestly don't know the date, is that the transition that happens like a week before Free-Agency, or is it soon after the Finals?

Got ya, that's what I thought. Damn, that makes trading Jeff Teague during the Draft way more difficult/unlikely.

Not really. He opted in, so trades could happen now. Plus, draft day trades can be agreed to but just not executed until the new league year.

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#25 » by Domejandro » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:33 pm

Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
Klomp wrote:That's a good point. This being locked in means he's available to trade whenever. Could he be dealt for a late 1st?

Possibly, only if Minnesota takes on a kind of crappy player in return (notice that Kent Bazemore also opted in, I think he is in the same position as Jeff Teague).

Just as an example....

Jeff Teague to ORL for Mozgov + 16

I've considered that as a possibility, but the Markelle Fultz situation is kind of a killer in the hypothetical. I do think that format could be possible elsewhere, though.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,827

Post#26 » by KGdaBom » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:14 pm

I'm sure the Wolves would have rather had him opt out so they could draft a PG and hand the team over to him. However, Teague when healthy which isn't very often lately is an above average NBA PG and $19 Million isn't terrible. This opt in was very quick. How long could he have waited to decide? Anybody Know?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Klomp » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:22 am

KGdaBom wrote:This opt in was very quick. How long could he have waited to decide? Anybody Know?

End of the league year, June 29

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#28 » by KGdaBom » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:47 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:This opt in was very quick. How long could he have waited to decide? Anybody Know?

Why would Teague opt in so soon? This may have been done to facilitate a trade. It just doesn't make much sense for him to opt in 2.5 months before he needed to.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#29 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Why would Teague opt in so soon? This may have been done to facilitate a trade. It just doesn't make much sense for him to opt in 2.5 months before he needed to.

Excellent work Watson. What did Sherlock say?

I quite agree it could mean he's hoping it forces a trade and the team helps facilitate it. Might have already had that discussion. Meanwhile he still gets his dough.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#30 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:01 am

Google, do you know why the sky looks blue? Why yes, i do.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#31 » by KGdaBom » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 am

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:End of the league year, June 29

I quite agree it could mean he's hoping it forces a trade and the team helps facilitate it. Might have already had that discussion. Meanwhile he still gets his dough.

Thank you very much for the backhanded compliment. :lol: :cry:
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#32 » by younggunsmn » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Because if he opts out there's no guarantee he makes 19 million the rest of his career let alone for one year?
I wouldnt be surprised though if there was some handshake agreement that if he was going to opt in, to do it early because it allows us more time to trade him before/during the draft. He might want a change of scenery too.

Trades before the end of the league year will be tricky for us though because we are so tight against the lux, we will have to take in less than we give out.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#33 » by KGdaBom » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:43 am

younggunsmn wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:End of the league year, June 29

Because if he opts out there's no guarantee he makes 19 million the rest of his career let alone for one year?
I wouldnt be surprised though if there was some handshake agreement that if he was going to opt in, to do it early because it allows us more time to trade him before/during the draft. He might want a change of scenery too.

Trades before the end of the league year will be tricky for us though because we are so tight against the lux, we will have to take in less than we give out.

I was 99% sure he was going to opt in. The question is why do it 2.5 months before he had to? The possibility of trading him is about the only thing that makes sense for him to opt in this early.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Klomp » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:03 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I was 99% sure he was going to opt in. The question is why do it 2.5 months before he had to? The possibility of trading him is about the only thing that makes sense for him to opt in this early.

If he already knows what he's going to do, is there any reason for him not to opt-in this early?

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#35 » by KGdaBom » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I was 99% sure he was going to opt in. The question is why do it 2.5 months before he had to? The possibility of trading him is about the only thing that makes sense for him to opt in this early.

If he already knows what he's going to do, is there any reason for him not to opt-in this early?

Yes. Things can change. Why give up control before you need to?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Klomp » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:18 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Yes. Things can change. Why give up control before you need to?

I'd probably side with you if he was making the league minimum, but he has 19 million reasons to do so.

Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#37 » by Slim Tubby » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:40 pm

Now that he's opted in, we can use his $19M to match salary in a trade for Conley or another PG if one is made available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,662

Post#38 » by shrink » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:When does the cap officially switch over to the new season? After the Draft, right?

Right, the current salary amounts. I will note that trades done now don’t affect the team’s lux calculation for this year.
Domejandro wrote:Do you know when that new league year starts? I honestly don't know the date, is that the transition that happens like a week before Free-Agency, or is it soon after the Finals?

I believe the new season starts July 1, when teams can meet with players and agents. However, no one is allowed to sign contracts until July 6 at noon. They used to need that time for a moratorium to count the revenues and calculate the exact salary cap, but this year they say they can pretty much calculate it ahead of time.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#39 » by Domejandro » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:27 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Right, the current salary amounts. I will note that trades done now don’t affect the team’s lux calculation for this year.

That is actually a pretty huge detail.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#40 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:32 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Why would Teague opt in so soon? This may have been done to facilitate a trade. It just doesn't make much sense for him to opt in 2.5 months before he needed to.

Thank you very much for the backhanded compliment. :lol: :cry:
Nothing backhanded about it. I liked your point and agree. Very sleuth like to sniff out the possibility. Reading around here it looks like many agree.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves