Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: Will KAT be wasted like KG and Love 

Post#21 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:13 pm

shrink wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:As I've pointed before, teams don't seem to nearly as dependent on top picks as they have been. There are a lot of impact players drafted outside the top 5. Giannis, Kawhi, Jokic, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Rudy Gobert, Donovan Mitchell. These players are available if you draft well.

Big if. I have hope, but very little faith.

I don’t blame you, but if you want some optimism, the system is built to reward teams with higher picks when they screw up. The draft is the NBA’s key to parity between teams, because in the nba moreso than in any sport, drafting one superstar can drastically affect your franchise’s fortunes. If you draft badly, you keep getting more high picks.

One other thing I should point out here is that nobody knows for certain which players will become stars, and which will be duds. Some of the responsibility for these guesses should fall on the front office, but also keep in mind that the players themselves have a responsibility to work hard and try to develop. A front office can’t always project the work within of an 18 year old who starts making millions.

This is why a shotgun approach, acquiring as many high picks as possible, is often the best way to find that talent. We all laud the Sixers for “the process” now, that gained him Embiid (#3) and Ben Simmons (#1), but remember, they also wasted valuable picks on Okafor (#3), Nerlens Noel (#6-trade), and Fultz (#1). If you get that many shots, you are bound to find talent somewhere, and the Sixers are certainly looking better than they did five years ago. I had been a fan of trading several Wolves earlier, even if all we could get was late picks, because more picks and a greater tank is probably more valuable than evaluating Saunders with a fuller team, including trade candidates Tyus, Rose, Teague, Taj.

Oh I agree, but after 14 YEARS of mid to high picks, we hit on ONE. Towns. I want to believe, but the faith is gone. Hopefully, Ryan demands the player he wants, and if Layden is still here agrees.
I don't know why Thibs picked Okogie, then not play him. He looks like a real impact player. Not a star, but dependable role player.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: Will KAT be wasted like KG and Love 

Post#22 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:17 pm

Those talking about KAT and his stats, Ryan is doing him a "solid" by letting him make the all NBA team and that $32 million dollar bonus. It will help when KAT thinks about leaving.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves