ImageImageImage

Is encouraging losing culture really the answer? Teague, Covington, Rose done for season!

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Is encouraging losing culture really the answer? Teague, Covington, Rose done for season! 

Post#21 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:28 pm

Jon Krawczynski
‏Verified account @JonKrawczynski
3h3 hours ago

Derrick Rose has bone chips in his right elbow. He will miss the rest of the season, per Wolves
7 replies 50 retweets 72 likes
Jon Krawczynski
3h3 hours ago

Jeff Teague recently received an injection to address inflammation in his left foot. He will be re-evaluated in three weeks and miss the remainder of the season, Wolves say.
6 replies 23 retweets 50 likes
Jon Krawczynski
3h3 hours ago

Ryan Saunders has been adamant that there was no interest in tanking. That healthy guys will play and unhealthy guys will sit. This update, finally, addresses the real health issues these three were facing. More to come on

:lol: I am adamantly opposed to Ryan even commenting on such questions. I would rather not be lied to.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Re: Is encouraging losing culture really the answer? Teague, Covington, Rose done for season! 

Post#22 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Jedzz wrote:
:lol: I am adamantly opposed to Ryan even commenting on such questions. I would rather not be lied to.

Much better to play injured players, right?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#23 » by walk with me » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Jedzz wrote:
walk with me wrote:
Klomp wrote:He had a setback

Read on Twitter

Do you 100% believe he had a set back?

Are you 100% expecting honesty?

Absolutely not but I also wouldn’t go the route of tanking.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,509

Post#24 » by Worm Guts » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:01 pm

If they were tanking then Towns wouldn’t be playing. As for Teague, Rose and Covington, they’ve been missing games all year. I have no idea how any of us are supposed to have a clear guess on whether they are healthy.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#25 » by LibertyPrime » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Teague and Rose have been in and out of the lineup and playing hurt. RoCo was already hurt. These guys were already done for the season, unless you've been hiding under a rock.

Unless you go for the wacky conspiracy theory that RoCo's secretly been healthy all this time, this is just shutting down injured players and giving them some piece of mind that they can begin their offseason rehab program. I dunno - if the doctors called it a "layer fracture" instead of a "bone bruise" maybe we wouldn't be assuming he was minutes from returning for the last few weeks, but what's done is done.

In real terms, our chances of winning after this announcement are roughly equivalent to what they were before this announcement.

So spare us the wailing and gnashing of teeth. I've seen tanking on this team, and it looks a lot more like Mark Madsen taking a dozen threes in the last game of the season than this does. This is just mounting injuries, on a team that was actually playing quite well when these players weren't hurt.
"The last domino falls here!"
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#26 » by Killboard » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:23 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:Teague and Rose have been in and out of the lineup and playing hurt. RoCo was already hurt. These guys were already done for the season, unless you've been hiding under a rock.

Unless you go for the wacky conspiracy theory that RoCo's secretly been healthy all this time, this is just shutting down injured players and giving them some piece of mind that they can begin their offseason rehab program. I dunno - if the doctors called it a "layer fracture" instead of a "bone bruise" maybe we wouldn't be assuming he was minutes from returning for the last few weeks, but what's done is done.

In real terms, our chances of winning after this announcement are roughly equivalent to what they were before this announcement.

So spare us the wailing and gnashing of teeth. I've seen tanking on this team, and it looks a lot more like Mark Madsen taking a dozen threes in the last game of the season than this does. This is just mounting injuries, on a team that was actually playing quite well when these players weren't hurt.

Or Hummel and Brewer sharing PG duties. Man, those were good times.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#27 » by packforfreedom » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:35 pm

this is a semi tanking. Can't sit Towns because he's playing for an all nba team and the supermax extension and I bet Teague and Rose would be playing if we were still in the playoff hunt. With RoCo it's could be something else. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, I have the feeling he won't be here next season.

what a disappointing season, I wish we still had Zach and Lauri, a young team growing together. Instead we witness this sh*tshow.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#28 » by PZiv » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Honestly this is only reasonable thing to do, draft is strong, Rose, Teague and BigBob are always playing with huge injury risk, Okogie, Jones, KBD need minutes (hell even Wiggins needs his shots :o ).
Shut the season down and look for the lotto balls, maybe this time Markannen like player actually lands in Minny
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#29 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:56 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Much better to play injured players, right?

Am I talking to Trump here? Repeat the rhetoric until a biker believes you? No offense...biker.

Run on nubs if needed. They are paid up.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#30 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:57 pm

PZiv wrote:Honestly this is only reasonable thing to do, draft is strong, Rose, Teague and BigBob are always playing with huge injury risk, Okogie, Jones, KBD need minutes (hell even Wiggins needs his shots :o ).
Shut the season down and look for the lotto balls, maybe this time Markannen like player actually lands in Minny

Please explain how you want to sell us on Wiggins needing more shots.
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#31 » by K4P » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:08 am

As far as a losing culture, they won 47 games last year, and looked damn decent when everyone was healthy. Add the nice lotto pick we get this year and everyone coming back healthy and I think we will be solid next year.

Temporary Mediocrity > "blowing it up" again. being an 8 seed is still a big deal for a team like Minny and they should still be striving for that starting next year. Not like we don't have time.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#32 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:36 am

Killboard wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:

Or Hummel and Brewer sharing PG duties. Man, those were good times.

Please spare us the the comparisons and attempts to explain away a shutdown and tank mode.

If Kat wasn't chasing AllNBA stats he would already be shut down as well and this team would look like your examples. It still does aside from Kat occasionally getting his 40s. Which, if you've been watching the last few games might be all done as well. Someone must have brought up the point to the team that playing the young guys all these minutes now was wasted time if all they were being asked to do was to feed Kat. That's not useful time. Anyway, they no longer are it seems. It's just get it over with time. Which funny enough didn't look all that different this time last year. The only thing different this year is Kat was trying in a few of these march games and most of the rest of the real NBA players are out. Even Taj is OUT. A tank is a tank is a tank.
K4P
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by K4P » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:14 am

KAT plays poorly = overrated/soft
KAT plays well = Only cares about stats

lolwut
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#34 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:17 am

KAT4PREZ wrote:KAT plays poorly = overrated/soft

lolwut

Who said overated/soft. I must have missed that post in the thread. Surprise fishing expedition has been canceled.
K4P
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by K4P » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:22 am

Jedzz wrote:

lolwut

Who said overated/soft. I must have missed that post in the thread. Surprise fishing expedition has been canceled.

general concensus

Spoiler:
calm down :crazy:
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#36 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:30 am

KAT4PREZ wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

lolwut

general concensus

Spoiler:
calm down :crazy:

I say this now with a big grin and with sentimental twist.
Spoiler:
Do not tell us what to do.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#37 » by King Malta » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:34 am

Klomp wrote:This is the biggest reason why I was so adamant about making the playoffs LAST YEAR.

Now, I wouldn't say we're out of the losing culture because we snuck in a year ago, but I think the leaguewide perception is different than it would be had this been a 15-year drought. We have our star player locked in longterm. Now it's about doing what we can to get the best talent around him. Whether or not this is tanking or just shutting down injured players, it's increasing the odds to get a better player in the lottery.

Yeah, agree.

I've often commented about my opposition to cultivating a losing culture and tanking on this forum, even when it comes to this season. However, given our almost certain future difficulties with the current roster construction though *cough* Wiggins and Gorgui *cough* together with it being just about impossible for us to make the playoffs, I think the smarter option is to now throw the towel in this season and attempt to pull a legitimate partner for Towns in this draft.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#38 » by PZiv » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:58 am

Jedzz wrote:
PZiv wrote:Honestly this is only reasonable thing to do, draft is strong, Rose, Teague and BigBob are always playing with huge injury risk, Okogie, Jones, KBD need minutes (hell even Wiggins needs his shots :o ).

Please explain how you want to sell us on Wiggins needing more shots.

A bit of a troll statement, but could be off season material for team analysts, the guy needs huge readjustment to his game, yesterday. I like what I see with Okogie and anything bonus from other 2 is welcome, also Minny needs to go Denver route - cheap players won't sign that easily without huge warning sign (IT, Rose examples) into this division, so they will have to draft good and develop (Beasley, Monte Morris. Craig and I'd even add Okogie).
Quint
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#39 » by Quint » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:03 pm

KAT4PREZ wrote:As far as a losing culture, they won 47 games last year, and looked damn decent when everyone was healthy. Add the nice lotto pick we get this year and everyone coming back healthy and I think we will be solid next year.

Temporary Mediocrity > "blowing it up" again. being an 8 seed is still a big deal for a team like Minny and they should still be striving for that starting next year. Not like we don't have time.

That was 99.9 % because of Jimmy.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#40 » by breatnach » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:34 pm

I think this probably means that Ryan won't be back as HC. He was a band-aid solution applied mid-season, because he knew the players and had their respect. Unfortunately, that didn't stop the bleeding, so I reckon Glenn will start with a new POBO, a new GM and then let them select a new coach. I reckon they know they have a maximum 4 years (Towns -1) to become contenders, or else trade him and start over.

Making decisions with a 2, or 3 year outcome is pointless. The next GM and next coach need to bring stability and a long-term vision. Hopefully the Kings will implode and Joerger will become available. Maybe Ryan will audition for the HC role, but he too will need to sell management a clear vision and strategy for the next four years - something that is very hard for any coach, much less a rookie. If they don't believe Ryan can be the long-term (4 year) solution, they shouldn't string him along and have to start over in 1-2 years yet again.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves