ImageImageImage

NCAA Tournament 2019

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,195

Re: NCAA Tournament 2019 

Post#21 » by Neeva » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Zion would get the wolves so much more media attention and help attendance and maybe even get more posts here lol
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#22 » by Jedzz » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Neeva wrote:Zion would get the wolves so much more media attention and help attendance and maybe even get more posts here lol

He would probably be injured and never play here. Really, Zion isn't impressing me at all verses USF so far and twice he's fallen and got up limping a bit. Walking accident ready to happen because of his weight?

Tacko Falls is way more impressive in this game as a freak player. Both teams have better overall basketball players than these unique players.
McHalesBurner
Junior
And1: 499

Post#23 » by McHalesBurner » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:54 pm

I like me some Tacko.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Neeva » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 pm

Any player could become injury prone when they hit the league who knows unless you are miss cleo
Jedzz wrote:
Neeva wrote:Zion would get the wolves so much more media attention and help attendance and maybe even get more posts here lol

He would probably be injured and never play here. Really, Zion isn't impressing me at all verses USF so far and twice he's fallen and got up limping a bit. Walking accident ready to happen because of his weight?

Tacko Falls is way more impressive in this game as a freak player. Both teams have better overall basketball players than these unique players.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Neeva » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:34 pm

I know this I definitely do not want Tre Jones, he is a worse three point shooter than Tyus and he almost blew it for duke with how slow he is.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#26 » by Calinks » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:35 pm

Heck of a game. Those high stakes! Come on NBA, time to put that crazy lottery season ending one and done tourney up lol.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#27 » by wesleyt95 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:51 pm

Duke is overrated i dont see them in the final 4
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Neeva » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:54 pm

Every team is nothing will surprise me in this tourney.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,843

Post#29 » by life_saver » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:34 am

Wasn't Tre supposed to be much bigger prospect than Tyus? I thought atleast offensively Tre was supposed to be a good shooter but he looks like a worse shooter than Tyus...they were treating him like Ben Simmons in lot of possessions lol
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,843

Post#30 » by life_saver » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 am

Calinks wrote:Heck of a game. Those high stakes! Come on NBA, time to put that crazy lottery season ending one and done tourney up lol.

If such a format is ever gonna be in NBA, I will guarantee you that Wolves will have a season where they are gonna **** in regular season like 75-7 record and then ending up losing in first round of elimination
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,636

Post#31 » by shrink » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 am

This is an excellent point that most people breeze over, so thanks for mentioning this.

As fans, we tend to evaluate every player by his on court production. However, NBA teams businesses. They needs to sell tickets, merchandise, and corporate sponsorships. The #1 pick each year, particularly Zion, is a marketing bonanza. Every story about the lottery, every story about the draft — they will all have a big picture of Zion. Sportstalk with lead off with Zion talk all summer long. If Zion isn’t a media star right now as a college player, he will certainly become one over the summer.

His value far supersedes the production he may or may not provide.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#32 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:05 am

Neeva wrote:Any player could become injury prone when they hit the league who knows unless you are miss cleo
Jedzz wrote:

It doesn't take being miss cleo to put a couple circumstances together and throw out a prediction as I did. Maybe you just need to start thinking about things more instead of just being an end spectator to understand.

1) Heavy weight player moving around like a guard. What makes him look promising and great is what ends up breaking him.
2) Already has recent knee trouble and is showing ankle troubles after landing during March Madness games already.
3) Timberwolves injury history being almost a constant issue for many players.

He's already pounding his joints into submission trying to be the best. Saw signs of it in Todays game again.

I suppose by now some young NBA players could have been born as gene therapy babies with joints that self repair in days. Some day someone should turn of the lights during a game and find out if any of these freaks are also bioluminescent.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#33 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:25 am

shrink wrote:

This is an excellent point that most people breeze over, so thanks for mentioning this.

As fans, we tend to evaluate every player by his on court production. However, NBA teams businesses. They needs to sell tickets, merchandise, and corporate sponsorships. The #1 pick each year, particularly Zion, is a marketing bonanza. Every story about the lottery, every story about the draft — they will all have a big picture of Zion. Sportstalk with lead off with Zion talk all summer long. If Zion isn’t a media star right now as a college player, he will certainly become one over the summer.

His value far supersedes the production he may or may not provide.

Come on. We already know it resides in the end in how they play. You guys are talking short time freebies selling the potential. If he doesn't pan out or doesn't stay healthy and ever play it goes the other way quick enough. Hi Wiggins. I guess the team can try to keep selling the lie by Maxing them to stretch it out longer. oops

After watching Tacko shut his paint and post games down, I expect other large NBA centers and pf players to do the same. The good signs for Zion was that today he was able to drain three pointers pretty well. But if Tacko wasn't slapped with two cheeseball fouls (#2 and #3 fouls) quite early he wouldn't have had to sit so much. It reminded me of how Towns gets cheeseball fouled early on often and it removes him from games. Zion and Duke were losing if that didn't happen. Meanwhile Duke was pressing hard and close on defense every possession, reaching in and swatting shooting arms constantly. Tacko got called for just having his arm in the vicinity. Now that you guys bring up the corporate side, the sponsorships, the tickets and tv viewing public side, it makes me think about how if Duke would have got beat today, how many of those benefiting from this tourney would have been very happy. It was easy to call a couple cheap fouls on Tacko early and free up the big dog for Duke. Of course as always it comes down to the end and UCF had plenty of chances to win it. Just not sure it would have been very close.

I see Zion getting instant free all star type calls in the NBA. So he would have that going for him. I am seeing him hit 3s well now under pressure. Again, if he stays healthy. And if he doesn't add a freshman 15 and sophmore 50 all of a sudden.
shrink
RealGM

Post#34 » by shrink » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:42 am

Wiggins probably made Taylor millions those first few years, in season ticket sales and merchandise.

This is critical if you’re going to trade away your only good player (Love), and then go to season ticket holders and ask them to re-up.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#35 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:12 am

shrink wrote:Wiggins probably made Taylor millions those first few years, in season ticket sales and merchandise.

This is critical if you’re going to trade away your only good player (Love), and then go to season ticket holders and ask them to re-up.
I agree. But it's just common sense.

The #1 pick or a top 3 pick is of course going to come with all kinds of hope and potential. Being a logical team making logical choices and trades is the bare minimum everyone hopes and expects the team should be capable of.

But Wiggins no longer sells seats and merch like those first couple years now. Don't you think? And yet..max expenditure now is a massive drag on the team for what he offers overall in play and business.

You can't draft a player at the top of the draft on nothing more than the idea of selling tickets for three years. You have to have a plan on how to use him on your team.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#36 » by Worm Guts » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:08 pm

I think deep playoff runs are going to be more profitable than any individual player, especially over the course of multiple seasons. You can only sell hope for so long without results.
shrink
RealGM

Post#37 » by shrink » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:02 pm

Jedzz wrote:
shrink wrote:Wiggins probably made Taylor millions those first few years, in season ticket sales and merchandise.

I agree. But it's just common sense.

The #1 pick or a top 3 pick is of course going to come with all kinds of hope and potential. Being a logical team making logical choices and trades is the bare minimum everyone hopes and expects the team should be capable of.

But Wiggins no longer sells seats and merch like those first couple years now. Don't you think? And yet..max expenditure now is a massive drag on the team for what he offers overall in play and business.

You can't draft a player at the top of the draft on nothing more than the idea of selling tickets for three years. You have to have a plan on how to use him on your team.

I’m not sure we disagree here. #1 picks have extra value when they are drafted because of the additional marketability. Being drafted #1 shouldn’t mean you get a max deal 4 years later, when your poor play has cost you that marketability.
shrink
RealGM

Post#38 » by shrink » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I think deep playoff runs are going to be more profitable than any individual player, especially over the course of multiple seasons. You can only sell hope for so long without results.

I agree that the playoffs help the bottom line, and they help the team, so you can get more talent from free agency without overpaying.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#39 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:28 pm

I got duke winning but so does 90% of the world.

My bracket isn’t winning though because I had Tenn and Michigan going to the final 4 with Duke and UNc in the final
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,943

Post#40 » by Klomp » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:39 pm

I had Carolina winning in two of my three brackets. Last hope is my Michigan State over Kentucky prediction.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves