ImageImageImage

Pitino about to go zero for Minnesota

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

sky4it
Junior
And1: 83

Pitino about to go zero for Minnesota 

Post#1 » by sky4it » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:21 am

Thanks to the mods for letting me talk gopher basketball a little bit.

Pitino ignores in state talent until its too late. There was some really good basketball talent in Minnesota this year Tyrell Terry is a really good point guard, a big in Zeke Nnaji, and another kid that Wisconsin signed. All three of these kids would have been valuable additions to the Gopher program and these guys are really good basketball players, DI caliber guys. Pitino is a horrible recruiter who only shows interest in these kids when other big names dont come here, by then he lost them. He will likely lose Matthew Hurt, and the program does not look good for the next few years. All of this changes if Mathew Hurt stays in Minnesota, but indications are that he is leaving by the way him and his dad are talking. BTW, the Jones brothers could have put Gopher basketball back on the map, and they wouldnt.

Thanks to Amir Coffey and his father Richard, the Gophers are respectable.

If they cant win in recruiting the home state, the coach has got to go, they wont win a big ten championship if they dont. Years ago this was never a problem, Minnesota didnt have many Division I prospects. All that has changed because the kids play year round, so there is plenty of talent here to win. Years ago when the state had Di prospects, they stayed in Minnesota for the most part. Kevin McHale, Sam Jacobson, Randy Brewer, to name a few. Daniel Otoru is a top talent, thanks kid for staying home.

And just what the hell is Rick Pitino doing over in Greece coaching basketball? He should be on the Gopher staff helping recruit talent. Richard Pitino has a track record of not getting families in Minnesota to trust him. This must change.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,889

Re: Pitino about to go zero for Minnesota 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:37 am

It would be nice to see us get more MN kids. However, sometimes kids just want to get away from home. Can't fault them for that.

Everyone focuses on the MN guys at the very top of the national classes every year, but I think we need to focus on the guys who are not ranked as high nationally. In 2016 we got the top three MN recruits. While we didn't get Tre Jones in 2018, we got 3 of the top 4 recruits from MN in the 2018 class. Every once in a while we may get one of the top national guys like a Coffey, but we aren't there as an overall program to where we can expect to get those consistently. And no, a coaching change wouldn't immediately change that.

Right now it's about creating program depth and sustaining success. A coaching change doesn't help that in the short-term.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:04 am

Purdue is in the Elite 8. Pitino beat them twice this month. Pitino also recruited and coached up one of the greatest Gophers in program history in Murphy, so he's shown he can find prospects even if they aren't from MN.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#4 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:25 pm

I think he has don't a great with what he was left with. Having a new training facility always is a plus when recruiting. I have seen the old and I have been to the new one. HUGE difference. (Kids like the new hotness.)

Matthew Hurt is a 1 and done, and never had a real interest in coming here, so Pitino backed off.

And Richard Sr. Pretty sure the AD is not letting him anywhere near that staff with all the crap he's involved in.
Also, like Klomp said changing coaches wouldn't help in the short term and probably damage the program long term too. With the recruits he has in the pipeline, there would be some decommittees. The U can not afford a rebuild.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,318

Post#5 » by Calinks » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:49 pm

I am fine with Pitino as well. I agree he needs to get more kids from home but all that gets easier when you got a good program. Gophers are not a premier destination. Its a two way street and a lot of kids are seduced by more prominent schools and winning else where. If the Gophers start winning that changes. This season was a good step, now we need to consistently make NCAA appearances and have good runs.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#6 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:25 pm

I wanted Pitino gone but the Louisville win helped saved his job. I actually wanted Ryan to take the Gophers job
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#7 » by Dewey » Mon Apr 1, 2019 8:08 pm

In the big picture, it just don't seem like players are buying in on Pitino ... I dont want a coaching change, but there has to be an identity! A BRAND of basketball that prospects relate to.

No one can convince me that MN/Big Ten is not a great destination for basketball. it's a local hotbed with talent. It's always going to be about buying in on the coach and the program before that player will take the leap of faith. Tons of good basketball schools have to deal with cold/crappy weather and most of them do not even have the pro-scene deboot.

IMO, Pitino's program does not have an identity that stands out and draws players - they want to fit. So what does he stand for? What does his program stand for? What type of players is he after? I have no idea.

When you hear Alabama, Clemson, or even Bison ... you immediately think GREAT Football Program. They stand for something.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 1, 2019 10:49 pm

Dewey wrote:No one can convince me that MN/Big Ten is not a great destination for basketball. it's a local hotbed with talent. It's always going to be about buying in on the coach and the program before that player will take the leap of faith. Tons of good basketball schools have to deal with cold/crappy weather and most of them do not even have the pro-scene deboot.

I actually think the pro scene can work against the school, or at least it always has. I think football has figured out how to embrace it, but hoops hasn't gotten there yet.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves