RealGM
And1: 4,790

Re: NBA Playoffs 2019: MIN promised land 

Post#261 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 13, 2019 4:14 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Neeva wrote:NOT the last two offensive possessions that could
Be the game.

He led them all series long and he tied the game with 4.2 seconds remaining. No question who the 76'ers MVP was, but it wasn't enough in the end.

Did he lead? From I have seen he played more like an elite role player behind Embiid. He did not control pace, did not create much for others, he didn't defend best player on the floor. He defended Lowry. TOR did not have any special plans to stop him as he often was defended by 35 yrs old Green.

OMG. He was by far the leading scorer. He scored the basket that could have sent game seven to OT. Embiid basically sucked for most of the series. You really are in need of an argument aren't you.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#262 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Calinks wrote:Only saw the second halfof the Sixers game but some thoughts.

Philly will be fine. Jimmy is staying and they will have gelled better next season. I think Jimmy fits well.

Butler is not the best player in the Sixers not was he on the wolves but he is the best player for both team when their ass is on the line. He's mental toughness and composure is ELITE.

Embiid was breaking down after that loss. This Just shows me how passionate he is to win. I think this will push him to be even better. People are laughing now but thst kid is a monster. He will never esnt to feel this again. I will always bet on a player who has a fire like that in their belly.

The way this series played out cements my thoughts thst your best player can't be a big. People are calling Embiid and all time great, he clearly is extremely dominant and skilled. He didn't do anything down the stretch. They never posted him up, he got stripped on some key plays.

When it came down to it, the wing Butler had to carry then. Joker is another elite bigman, couldn't compete with McCollum. The game is just not designed right now for bigs to be the go to guy down the stretch. You have to have a wing/guard who can carry you. We won't be a great Team until we get that. Unless somehow we change the meta of the NBA. The days of your big man taking you home down the stretch are over.

Tornoto relies too heavily Kawhi. I really think they are in deep trouble if they keep this up. He can't do it all for two more series. I actually lost a lot of confidence in them. I feel like Philly was the better team.

I think the Warriors are going to get another title with minimal problems again. No one left has anything for them. Disappointed there.

Philly deserves no success with the tanking they did to try to achieve it. I hope they never accomplish anything until every vestige of Tankathon has been removed from the franchise. Embiid is really a Jerk. Probably one of the few biggest Jerks in the NBA. I have no compassion for him. I would love to see the Warriors get beat, but I think the same as you on that. They should win, but I'm not completely counting out Milwaukee.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#263 » by Killboard » Mon May 13, 2019 5:15 pm

shrink wrote:
Calinks wrote:Butler is not the best player in the Sixers not was he on the wolves but he is the best player for both team when their ass is on the line. He's mental toughness and composure is ELITE.

Embiid was breaking down after that loss. This Just shows me how passionate he is to win. I think this will push him to be even better. People are laughing now but thst kid is a monster. He will never esnt to feel this again. I will always bet on a player who has a fire like that in their belly.

Do you think Jimmy Butler ever cried after a loss?

When I saw Embiid crying, it just made me remember how he kept insulting people with his tweets all year. I bet he didn’t do that last night.

I hope he is being called soft for not run the court hard enough to get position in the post early like they did with KAT when we lost the 1st seed last season.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#264 » by minimus » Mon May 13, 2019 8:13 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:He led them all series long and he tied the game with 4.2 seconds remaining. No question who the 76'ers MVP was, but it wasn't enough in the end.

Did he lead? From I have seen he played more like an elite role player behind Embiid. He did not control pace, did not create much for others, he didn't defend best player on the floor. He defended Lowry. TOR did not have any special plans to stop him as he often was defended by 35 yrs old Green.

OMG. He was by far the leading scorer. He scored the basket that could have sent game seven to OT. Embiid basically sucked for most of the series. You really are in need of an argument aren't you.

Did you watch all games мы TOR? TOR had great plan against Embiid tried to double team him when possible, Embiid commanded double teams, they also tried to help wings when Simmons tried to post up them. Jimmy was "allowed" to score but it was not enough to win very mediocre team outside of Kawhi team. Who is their second star? Lowry? Siakam? Green? Gasol? Ibaka?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#265 » by shrink » Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 pm

Do you remember when we first realized Jimmy Butler would need to be traded, and TOR fans were sure that any deal with OG Anunoby was too rich?

They barely made the ECF this time, and I think they are going to wish they had Jimmy when they face MIL next round. If they would have made it to the Finals, I think it would have increased their chances this summer of keeping Kawhi, and Butler as well.

BTW, I am very happy we dodged that bullet and got Covington and Saric.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#266 » by Jedzz » Mon May 13, 2019 11:12 pm

shrink wrote:Do you remember when we first realized Jimmy Butler would need to be traded, and TOR fans were sure that any deal with OG Anunoby was too rich?

They barely made the ECF this time, and I think they are going to wish they had Jimmy when they face MIL next round. If they would have made it to the Finals, I think it would have increased their chances this summer of keeping Kawhi, and Butler as well.

Jimmy played well in the playoffs. However I didn't watch their last loss. Toronto should sign Jimmy right now. He's no longer a 76er, right?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#267 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 13, 2019 11:22 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

Did you watch all games мы TOR? TOR had great plan against Embiid tried to double team him when possible, Embiid commanded double teams, they also tried to help wings when Simmons tried to post up them. Jimmy was "allowed" to score but it was not enough to win very mediocre team outside of Kawhi team. Who is their second star? Lowry? Siakam? Green? Gasol? Ibaka?

Minimus don't dig the hole any deeper.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#268 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 13, 2019 11:26 pm

Jedzz wrote:
shrink wrote:Do you remember when we first realized Jimmy Butler would need to be traded, and TOR fans were sure that any deal with OG Anunoby was too rich?

Jimmy played well in the playoffs. However I didn't watch their last loss. Toronto should sign Jimmy right now. He's no longer a 76er, right?

Ithink he's a UFA, but if Philthy wants they can pay him Supermax. No way Butler would turn that down. If they go cheap I presume Butlers gone.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#269 » by TheDominator273 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:41 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Ithink he's a UFA, but if Philthy wants they can pay him Supermax. No way Butler would turn that down. If they go cheap I presume Butlers gone.
No one can offer him the supermax anymore. Only Chicago would have been able to as the team that drafted him. Now Philly can offer him a 5 year deal while everyone else could only offer 4, along with higher raises so they can offer him the most money should they choose to, which is probably the only way to keep Jimmy is to offer the full maximum they can.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#270 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 13, 2019 11:53 pm

TheDominator273 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

No one can offer him the supermax anymore. Only Chicago would have been able to as the team that drafted him. Now Philly can offer him a 5 year deal while everyone else could only offer 4, along with higher raises so they can offer him the most money should they choose to, which is probably the only way to keep Jimmy is to offer the full maximum they can.

You certain about this. It may not be technically the supermax, but I think it's not just another year, but it's also a higher annual salary as well.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#271 » by shrink » Tue May 14, 2019 12:08 am

KGdaBom wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Ithink he's a UFA, but if Philthy wants they can pay him Supermax. No way Butler would turn that down. If they go cheap I presume Butlers gone.

You certain about this. It may not be technically the supermax, but I think it's not just another year, but it's also a higher annual salary as well.

Dominator is correct. If Butler would have been eligible for the Designated Player Max, then he would get an additional 5% of the cap, in effect, treating him like a player with 10+ years of NBA service. However, only the team that drafted him could offer that contract, so when he got traded to MIN, that went off the table. Now, he is eligible only “!” for the regular max.

And as Dominator points out, PHI has his Bird rights, so they can offer a fifth year, and slightly higher raises. However, keep in mind that as a UFA, this is the first time Jimmy has had any say over where he plays. Max deal players have a lot of money in the bank after they got their first max deal, so many use their UFA status to pick a favorite destination over a little bit more money. The 2011 draft contained Kyrie, Kemba, Jimmy and Kawhi, and this summer we will get to see what they want to do.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#272 » by TheDominator273 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:16 am

KGdaBom wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Ithink he's a UFA, but if Philthy wants they can pay him Supermax. No way Butler would turn that down. If they go cheap I presume Butlers gone.

Eligibility for Designated Veteran contracts

There are three requirements for a player to be eligible for a Designated Veteran contract or extension:

Quality/Performance: A player must have been named to an All-NBA team or Defensive Player of the Year in either the most recent season or two of the three most recent seasons. Alternatively, they could have won the league MVP in any one of the prior three seasons. This language also works because Designated Veteran contracts can only be signed in the off-season, so the preceding season definitions are clear.

Experience: For a Designated Veteran contract, the player must have completed eight or nine years in the NBA. For a Designated Veteran extension, the player must have seven or eight Years of Service when the extension is executed.

Same Team: The player must either have spent those Years of Service on the team that he signed his first contract with or joined the current/offering team during the first four years he was under contract and that player only changed teams via trade during those first four years.

Jimmy checks the first two boxes but not the third which means he is eligible for a max contract starting at 30% not up to 35% as the Designated Veteran contract or "Supermax" allows.

Jimmy has 8 years experience so he qualifies for a max contract starting at 30% of the cap as with any player with 7-9 years of experience is. The Sixers can offer more money because they can offer 5 years instead of 4 and 8% raises instead of 5%.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#273 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 14, 2019 12:20 am

TheDominator273 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:No one can offer him the supermax anymore. Only Chicago would have been able to as the team that drafted him. Now Philly can offer him a 5 year deal while everyone else could only offer 4, along with higher raises so they can offer him the most money should they choose to, which is probably the only way to keep Jimmy is to offer the full maximum they can.

Eligibility for Designated Veteran contracts

There are three requirements for a player to be eligible for a Designated Veteran contract or extension:

Quality/Performance: A player must have been named to an All-NBA team or Defensive Player of the Year in either the most recent season or two of the three most recent seasons. Alternatively, they could have won the league MVP in any one of the prior three seasons. This language also works because Designated Veteran contracts can only be signed in the off-season, so the preceding season definitions are clear.

Experience: For a Designated Veteran contract, the player must have completed eight or nine years in the NBA. For a Designated Veteran extension, the player must have seven or eight Years of Service when the extension is executed.

Same Team: The player must either have spent those Years of Service on the team that he signed his first contract with or joined the current/offering team during the first four years he was under contract and that player only changed teams via trade during those first four years.

Jimmy checks the first two boxes but not the third which means he is eligible for a max contract starting at 30% not up to 35% as the Designated Veteran contract or "Supermax" allows.

Jimmy has 8 years experience so he qualifies for a max contract starting at 30% of the cap as with any player with 7-9 years of experience is. The Sixers can offer more money because they can offer 5 years instead of 4 and 8% raises instead of 5%.

Thanks for the info Dominator and Shrink. I was correct it was more than just the extra year. It is also higher annual raises.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#274 » by minimus » Tue May 14, 2019 5:11 am

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:OMG. He was by far the leading scorer. He scored the basket that could have sent game seven to OT. Embiid basically sucked for most of the series. You really are in need of an argument aren't you.

Okay. Let's pretend to be superficial. l'll just give you some hints if you want to dig any deeper.

1) look at +/- stats in TOR series. Embiid vs Butler.
2) consider that simple fact that Joel was not healthy this series.
Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid missed Tuesday's shootaround with an upper respiratory infection and is listed as probable for Game 5 against the Toronto Raptors, according to TSN's Josh Lewenberg. Embiid has seemingly suffered from a variety of illnesses throughout the Eastern Conference semifinals, as he fought through stomach flu ahead of the series' second contest and required an IV hours before the 76ers' Game 4 loss.

3) I'm not a Embiid fan, more hater. So you can't say that I'm too biased.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,837

Post#275 » by Domejandro » Tue May 14, 2019 8:34 am

Pretty much every impact stat showcases that Philadelphia lost whenever Embiid went off the court by a massive margin.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#276 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 14, 2019 12:23 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

Okay. Let's pretend to be superficial. l'll just give you some hints if you want to dig any deeper.

1) look at +/- stats in TOR series. Embiid vs Butler.
2) consider that simple fact that Joel was not healthy this series.
Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid missed Tuesday's shootaround with an upper respiratory infection and is listed as probable for Game 5 against the Toronto Raptors, according to TSN's Josh Lewenberg. Embiid has seemingly suffered from a variety of illnesses throughout the Eastern Conference semifinals, as he fought through stomach flu ahead of the series' second contest and required an IV hours before the 76ers' Game 4 loss.

3) I'm not a Embiid fan, more hater. So you can't say that I'm too biased.

Hopefully everybody's an Embiid Hater he's earned it with the disrespectful manner he treats all his competitors. Joel had significant injuries since he was first drafted. Since he got over those he has pretty much had some kind of nagging injury all the time. Tummyaches, hangnails, boo boos, headaches etc.. etc... etc.... I don't feel like looking at the +/- stats because as bad as Embiid played his backup was worse.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#277 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Domejandro wrote:Pretty much every impact stat showcases that Philadelphia lost whenever Embiid went off the court by a massive margin.

Yep. Embiid played bad his backup played worse.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#278 » by Calinks » Wed May 15, 2019 1:10 am

Time to watch a lopsided Golden State thrashing all series.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#279 » by Jedzz » Wed May 15, 2019 2:31 am

Steph is so sickoning. If the Wolves don't draft a lights out shooter I don't know what I'll do. A few are available. If we draft another athlete project only for his upside I won't be able to handle it. Everyone on the Warriors is money going right on down through their unknown bench players. Meanwhile Steph is counterfeiting money. Have to get real shooters.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#280 » by Jedzz » Wed May 15, 2019 2:44 am

Calinks wrote:Time to watch a lopsided Golden State thrashing all series.

I saw Lillard get his 3rd foul and he just looked deflated by it. He's battling inhuman Steph and everyone else on the Warriors draining everything, then a hammy is bothering him, then a ticky tack third foul. Took him a minute to get over it. But then he does come back. They battle.

Everything just slanted Warriors way and then you have Curry hitting them from just beyond midcourt as easily as open keys. Klay really matching up well with Portland defensively.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves