Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Re: Building a rotation for 2019-20 

Post#21 » by KGdaBom » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:59 am

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:Luxury threshold for 2019-20 is coming in around $132. The $124 number was for 2018-19 season.

We will have about $19 mil under the lux to fill those 4-6 spots. The $19 mil decreases if

a. Towns makes All NBA ($5.5 less), though that is unlikely.
b. We move up in the lottery and get a top 4 pick.

The only all NBA center that's a sure thing IMO should be Jokic. Davis missed a lot of games and Embiid missed quite a few also. If one or both are eliminated for lack of participation I think KAT should be the next man up with some consideration to Gobert. Am I forgetting anybody?

I agree with Killboard, that Vucevic deserves mention, but I suspect Jokic and Embid get the top two spots, then Gobert. Gobert may be defensive player of the year, and all three of these guys are on playoff teams.

Vuc did have a great season and so did Gobert, but if I were a voter I would either favor KAT over both of them or consider it a tie. If I thought it was a tie I wouldn't want to be the vote that costs KAT $32 million or whatever it is and I would vote for KAT. The voter also gets the extra incentive of voting for KAT knowing it will screw the Wolves.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#22 » by TheDominator273 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:37 am

I wouldn't vote AD or Embiid All NBA, they missed too many games. Jokic 1st team then KAT and Gobert coin flip for 2nd/3rd
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#23 » by KGdaBom » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:26 am

TheDominator273 wrote:I wouldn't vote AD or Embiid All NBA, they missed too many games. Jokic 1st team then KAT and Gobert coin flip for 2nd/3rd

Some might see it that way, but I think most will consider Embiid's 64 enough. To be honest I hope that KAT doesn't get it. That is a lot of cap savings for the Wolves if he doesn't.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,039

Post#24 » by shangrila » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:37 am

KGdaBom wrote:I think NAW is probably going to be a solid player in the NBA, but if we take him I think it is because Garland and White are both gone and we settle for him because we are locked in on PG. I would rather take somebody more dynamic at another position (preferably PF) in that scenario. Doumbouya or Clarke perhaps. Yes I think Clarke can be dynamic. A very dynamic defender and a very dynamic player on the break and the offensive boards.

Agreed about NAW. I like him but he's much more of a solid starter type than a potential All Star like either White or Garland. He's a good trade down candidate if there's no one left that we really like at 10.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#25 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:37 am

I'm all for bringing mostly the same team intact back next year and hoping for a more typical healthy season.

But I'm also 100% in favor of Moving Wiggins and/or something for Beal and having a real one two punch on this team.

If getting Beal went hand in hand with unloading Wiggins contract, the team might be in the same or close cap hell this coming season, but I would be five fold more confident for the next two seasons. Is there anyone left there that Ryan would still have a relationship connection with?
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#26 » by Dewey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Sadly we don't have a core other than salary-wise, and just like the KG days, we are proving unable to effectively build around KAT. We NEED an infusion of toughness and grit. Right now a healthy RoCO is the only other player I feel good about long-term. Must step up our interior defense, wing defense, and PG defense ... all of them. This HAS to be our focus.

Another key issue that has haunted us for years once again is PG ... PG tag teams don't work. We go from ball dominant, to passive, to ball control ... all lack strong defense and all represent three different tempo's. Dont work now and will not work ever if you wanna be a playoff team.

Rotation for 2019-20? This is not a real conversation that this franchise is having if we have any sign of turning this around - unless they are determined to instill a different attitude.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,961

Post#27 » by shrink » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:04 pm

One way to look at this is to say, “how many players do you have that are above average in their role?”

We have very few: 1 Center, 1 SF, and perhaps Tyus/Rose as a back up PG, if we retain either. If we run a ten man rotation, that means we are over-matched at most of our positions, every night.

This is why I didn’t mind Thibs signing free agents Taj and Teague, who both gave us NBA average performance their first year (which surprised me a bit). Our growth had to come from Towns and Wiggins, but bumping up the average level of play from the other positions wasn’t a bad strategy. We still need growth from those players and Okogie, because we don’t have the money to pay for even average performance at all the spots where we need an upgrade,
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,571

Post#28 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:28 pm

shrink wrote:One way to look at this is to say, “how many players do you have that are above average in their role?”

We have very few: 1 Center, 1 SF, and perhaps Tyus/Rose as a back up PG, if we retain either. If we run a ten man rotation, that means we are over-matched at most of our positions, every night.

This is why I didn’t mind Thibs signing free agents Taj and Teague, who both gave us NBA average performance their first year (which surprised me a bit). Our growth had to come from Towns and Wiggins, but bumping up the average level of play from the other positions wasn’t a bad strategy. We still need growth from those players and Okogie, because we don’t have the money to pay for even average performance at all the spots where we need an upgrade,

Careful not to confuse our end-of-year rotation with what we'll have next year. For example, Okogie isn't an above average starting SG but he's probably above average as a reserve SG. Healthy Covington pushes Okogie out of the starting lineup.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,961

Post#29 » by shrink » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:33 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:One way to look at this is to say, “how many players do you have that are above average in their role?”

Careful not to confuse our end-of-year rotation with what we'll have next year. For example, Okogie isn't an above average starting SG but he's probably above average as a reserve SG. Healthy Covington pushes Okogie out of the starting lineup.

I think we are in agreement, which is why I included Tyus and Rose as above average back up PG’s.

I’m not sure Okogie is an above average back up SG yet. Why would you say he is?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#30 » by KGdaBom » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:52 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I think we are in agreement, which is why I included Tyus and Rose as above average back up PG’s.

I’m not sure Okogie is an above average back up SG yet. Why would you say he is?

If he isn't yet I expect he will be. Just a matter of time. I wouldn't be surprised if one day he is an above average starting SG.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#31 » by PharmD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:34 pm

Looks like it'll be a boring offseason. Maybe something huge will happen but otherwise we're looking at the same team minus Taj, Tolliver, and maybe Rose/Tyus. Sounds not so great.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#32 » by minimus » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:52 pm

PharmD wrote:Looks like it'll be a boring offseason. Maybe something huge will happen but otherwise we're looking at the same team minus Taj, Tolliver, and maybe Rose/Tyus. Sounds not so great.

Depends on new POBO/GM. I have some good feelings about first new moves of POBO/GM.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves