Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Second Round targets 

Post#121 » by Jedzz » Thu May 2, 2019 12:07 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
With the type player Edwards is, that wouldn’t be a concern for me. You draft Edwards because there’s a Curry/Lillard element to his game where he can shoot from anywhere.

So he's 6-1 guard with a .355 three this season. Why is someone like this ok, but someone like Fletcher Magee isn't who is 3 inches taller and shoots consistenty much higher average? I saw maybe one person here besides me suggest Magee for the Wolves and a bunch that will have nothing to do with the player.

Is Edwards shooting better at the end of games or something to be compared to Lillard/Curry?

From the few games I watched him in the tournament, he can shoot off the dribble and from very deep. That’s where I’m getting the Lillard/Curry comparison although he’s nowhere near that category in terms of talent. Magee is more of a spot up shooter.
From what I heard Magee takes a lot of heat for shooting from anywhere at anytime. Yet he makes them at a high clip so that's where the complaints end. Thanks for explaining on Edwards.

Do you see, or have you seen, Edwards hoisting his team on his back ala Lillard? Now something like that kind of will and determination is a draftable trait in my book that I can't learn about them until someone that watched them reports it.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#122 » by TheDominator273 » Thu May 2, 2019 2:17 am

Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
So he's 6-1 guard with a .355 three this season. Why is someone like this ok, but someone like Fletcher Magee isn't who is 3 inches taller and shoots consistenty much higher average? I saw maybe one person here besides me suggest Magee for the Wolves and a bunch that will have nothing to do with the player.

Is Edwards shooting better at the end of games or something to be compared to Lillard/Curry?

From the few games I watched him in the tournament, he can shoot off the dribble and from very deep. That’s where I’m getting the Lillard/Curry comparison although he’s nowhere near that category in terms of talent. Magee is more of a spot up shooter.
From what I heard Magee takes a lot of heat for shooting from anywhere at anytime. Yet he makes them at a high clip so that's where the complaints end. Thanks for explaining on Edwards.

Do you see, or have you seen, Edwards hoisting his team on his back ala Lillard? Now something like that kind of will and determination is a draftable trait in my book that I can't learn about them until someone that watched them reports it.
Edwards dropped 42 on Virginia in the tournament so yes he has put his team on his back. The difference between Magee and Edwards is shot creation and playmaking. Magee can't create for himself or others while Edwards can/does. Both are brutal defenders, but Edwards having a more complete game is why he is gaining steam as a late 1st round pick and has more upside than Magee who will be lucky to have a Doug McDermott type of career.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#123 » by Klomp » Thu May 2, 2019 2:20 am

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#124 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 2, 2019 2:47 am

Klomp wrote:

Nice Video of the Wolves 2nd round pick. :D
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#125 » by Nick K » Thu May 2, 2019 8:57 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

He looks great to me. You need a guard like that. Let's move up and grab him!
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#126 » by Jedzz » Thu May 2, 2019 1:15 pm

TheDominator273 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Edwards dropped 42 on Virginia in the tournament so yes he has put his team on his back. The difference between Magee and Edwards is shot creation and playmaking. Magee can't create for himself or others while Edwards can/does. Both are brutal defenders, but Edwards having a more complete game is why he is gaining steam as a late 1st round pick and has more upside than Magee who will be lucky to have a Doug McDermott type of career.

I appreciate the information on Edwards. I am starting to see the distinction and difference between a point guard like Edwards and a shooting guard like Magee. I do believe that Edwards has that creation ability for himself and determination to carry a team is a draftable trait. If the team can find he has shown that multiple times and thinks that is who he is capable of being at NBA levels than I would support a pick like that. Edwards sounds like an offensive PG. While Magee could likely be an off ball SG, ala Kevin Martin capable of 4.2 to 4.5 three pt attempts per game. Hopefully with a better conversion rate.

McDermott is a similarly capable shooter to Magee, though by size they are not quite in the same class. McDermott is 6-8 and more of a small forward/wing, but he has maintained a >.400 three pt shot in the NBA. That shooting is very important. Less important is how his specific teams have used him, as he's only taking 2.7 to 3 three pt shots per game. I do look at the Timberwolves makeup and what they have been asking from shooting guards and small forwards here, namely Wiggins and Okogie, and I see the Wolves asking these guys not to create much, but to take shots when they are served up to them. Cutting and slashing hasn't looked like what they are asking from them. The problem with this has been the fact none of them have been consistent shooters enough to make good on this role offensively. So that's why I see Magee as good for this team as it's been, as he would likely improve on that shot taking from that role, improve spacing this way, and so his role is a lot less about creating here. I don't think he's too small to be a shooting guard. James Harden is a 6-5 SG, albeit a ball dominant and sometimes point centric one. He doesn't make less because his defense stinks.

A ball dominant point guard who can also shoot well, in the lillard type or other, would likely change what this team has been doing. That type of guard, an offensive point guard, with a more complete game would change a lot of things as they have been. But also in this case, the team would need players capable of being a threat off-ball, and making good on the remaining off ball shots which then help increase spacing for a diminutive offensive point and an offensive Center. It would almost be paramount that you had players that could. I think there always is a role for off ball shooters on most teams.

Would you mind seeing a combined Edwards and Magee back court off the bench? This sounds like it would be closer to Rose/Okogie than it would be to Tyus/Wiggins.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#127 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 2, 2019 1:38 pm

Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

The shots he was taking were ridiculous except he was making them. 42 points and only two baskets from drives. Shooting with the defender in his face from 30 or more feet away. I don't know if we would want him to be more selective or just tell him to fire away.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#128 » by Jedzz » Thu May 2, 2019 6:05 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Nice Video of the Wolves 2nd round pick. :D

The shots he was taking were ridiculous except he was making them. 42 points and only two baskets from drives. Shooting with the defender in his face from 30 or more feet away. I don't know if we would want him to be more selective or just tell him to fire away.

Amazing shooting for one game. I read that was his second game over 40 that month?. Looks like he flattened out in overtime

overtime:
4:42 Carsen Edwards Turnover. 70 - 70
4:19 Carsen Edwards Defensive Rebound. 70 - 70
1:30 Carsen Edwards missed Jumper. 73 - 74
0:43 Carsen Edwards made Jumper. 75 - 74
0:07 Carsen Edwards missed Three Point Jumper. 75 - 76
0:01 Carsen Edwards Turnover.. 75 - 78

I think a freshman Virginia player defended him on his last shot attempt.
Lost 75-80

Still an amazing game against ultimate winner. The rest of his team scored 33. Looks like he carried, but I don't know about creating for others.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#129 » by Jedzz » Thu May 2, 2019 6:25 pm

Fletcher Magee shooting 3s.
Record holder NCAA career 3pts made 509
Tied for #2 NCAA season 3pts made 158 (Curry's best 162 is #1 2007.)
#1 per-game basis in 2018–19 (4.51)
81% single game record 9-11
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#130 » by wolfen » Thu May 2, 2019 7:37 pm

Carsen Edwards...

could become....

At least that would be the hope...
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#131 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 2, 2019 10:06 pm

wolfen wrote:Carsen Edwards...

could become....

At least that would be the hope...

Patty Mills???
To be honest that wouldn't be a bad outcome, but I'd still hope for better.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#132 » by theGreatRC » Fri May 3, 2019 12:10 am

Carsen edwards = Jameer Nelson

Not a bad thing, either. If he can bulk up a bit more, he could do NBA damage
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#133 » by shangrila » Fri May 3, 2019 12:34 am

Klomp wrote:

I don't know about him. He's a 6ft SG and those don't often translate. I'm not even sure what he brings outside of volume 3pt shooting; his AST numbers (both per game and advanced) are poor, his overall FG% is just under 40% (which is bad in college, let alone the NBA) and his massive usage rate makes me wonder how well he'd translate to a smaller role. Aside from being more explosive I don't see much of a difference between him and a guy like Fredette.

A guy I do like is Shamorie Ponds, who's probably a more realistic target given where he's mocked (tankathon has him going to us at 43, for example). He's not the scorer Edwards is (though he's no slouch there either; 20ppg to Edwards' 24ppg) but he brings a much more well rounded game with some positive numbers in stuff like steals and AST-to-TO. Tankathon doesn't have his wingspan but at 6-1 he's got good height for a PG too. This is the guy I'd be targeting if we don't take a guard at 10 (and maybe even if we did, he looks like good value regardless).
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#134 » by KGdaBom » Fri May 3, 2019 12:38 am

shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I don't know about him. He's a 6ft SG and those don't often translate. I'm not even sure what he brings outside of volume 3pt shooting; his AST numbers (both per game and advanced) are poor, his overall FG% is just under 40% (which is bad in college, let alone the NBA) and his massive usage rate makes me wonder how well he'd translate to a smaller role. Aside from being more explosive I don't see much of a difference between him and a guy like Fredette.

A guy I do like is Shamorie Ponds, who's probably a more realistic target given where he's mocked (tankathon has him going to us at 43, for example). He's not the scorer Edwards is (though he's no slouch there either; 20ppg to Edwards' 24ppg) but he brings a much more well rounded game with some positive numbers in stuff like steals and AST-to-TO. Tankathon doesn't have his wingspan but at 6-1 he's got good height for a PG too. This is the guy I'd be targeting if we don't take a guard at 10 (and maybe even if we did, he looks like good value regardless).

The more people that think like you the more likely we get him. I love it. Shamorie Ponds who I have never heard of will probably be OK.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#135 » by shangrila » Fri May 3, 2019 12:55 am

KGdaBom wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:

The more people that think like you the more likely we get him. I love it. Shamorie Ponds who I have never heard of will probably be OK.

Why do you like him so much? Honest question.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#136 » by KGdaBom » Fri May 3, 2019 1:52 am

shangrila wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
shangrila wrote:I don't know about him. He's a 6ft SG and those don't often translate. I'm not even sure what he brings outside of volume 3pt shooting; his AST numbers (both per game and advanced) are poor, his overall FG% is just under 40% (which is bad in college, let alone the NBA) and his massive usage rate makes me wonder how well he'd translate to a smaller role. Aside from being more explosive I don't see much of a difference between him and a guy like Fredette.

Why do you like him so much? Honest question.

Fun and exciting pick. High ceiling as they say. Instant offense off the bench if you need it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#137 » by Jedzz » Fri May 3, 2019 12:19 pm

shangrila wrote:

Interesting.
In the beginning of this video he's showing a unique or maybe stiff leg movement, first few minutes. Maybe it's just something unique about him. But I wonder if he was playing injured at the time. It's not there later in the clip. Didn't seem to slow down his highlights any.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#138 » by wolfen » Fri May 3, 2019 7:44 pm

If we do go PG in round 2, I do think Edwards will be gone, but we've talked about others. I like Ponds, he's certainly an option. Other options could include Tremont Waters, Justin Robinson, Ky Bowman, Corey Davis, etc. Obviously, not all of those guys will be nba players, let alone good ones, but you never know. I think my guy, Jaylen Hands, has the highest upside of any non-round one PG. We'll see if he stays in the draft. Enjoy...

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2017/08/jaylen-hands.html

[url];t=201s[/url]
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#139 » by Jedzz » Sat May 4, 2019 5:36 am

Pat. Connaughton 6-4 209. SG. 2015 Round 2 pick 41 overall

Game 3 against Celtics at Boston. Series tied 1-1 before the game.
5-11 FGs for 45%, 4 of 9 from three at 44% zero assists, 7 boards. A Celtics backbreaker and he's making just 1.6 million a season.

This is what we must find. Or just trade our second for him.
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#140 » by yawner » Sun May 5, 2019 11:02 am

Worm Guts wrote:
yawner wrote:Undersized players like Edwards worry me. Look Isaiah Thomas. Yes, he succeeded in playoffs with Boston, but the whole team was built to maximize his offensive skills and to hide him in the defensive end. Before and after playing for Boston he really didn´t played well. Yes, he´s been injured. But still...

I prefer other kind of players.

With the type player Edwards is, that wouldn’t be a concern for me. You draft Edwards because there’s a Curry/Lillard element to his game where he can shoot from anywhere.

Could that talent be translated to positive performance in playoffs games? A player has to be a NBA star in one side of the court to compensate his lacking in the other side. Undersized players are usually a hindrance. Perhaps not during the regular season, but certainly are in the offseason.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves