ImageImageImage

The search for a new coach results in Ryan Saunders (pg 11)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

The search for a new coach results in Ryan Saunders (pg 11) 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Tue May 7, 2019 12:38 am

It sure seems that, at minimum, Rosas will do his due diligence in finding a new coach. Doesn't sound like it'll just be handed to Saunders, even if he ultimately gets the job. It's the right thing to do.

So what are some names you think will or should be looked at?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Re: The search for a new coach 

Post#2 » by King Malta » Tue May 7, 2019 12:47 am

It will be interesting to see who interviews, listening to his chat with Barreiro it seems pretty clear that Rosas has a solid vision on how he wants this team to play (modern offense, pace and space, efficient shots etc) and I would expect this will greatly influence the candidates he interviews; coaches with established systems who don't fit into this vision won't get a look in IMO.

I expect some lesser known, younger guys to be prominent candidates. I feel like he probably sticks with Ryan, the process will be interesting though.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Tue May 7, 2019 12:48 am

I think he’ll talk to Saunders first, then decide if there’s going to be a full blown search. If he starts talking to other candidates, Saunders is probably gone.
King Malta
Starter

Post#4 » by King Malta » Tue May 7, 2019 12:50 am

I also feel that a guy like Joerger who has apparently had conflict with front offices won't be high up his list. He's spoken several times about alignment, being on the same page etc. Working closely and in a positive fashion with all areas of the organization is clearly a priority for him and I don't think he'll be looking for an abrasive character.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Klomp » Tue May 7, 2019 12:55 am

I think an interesting option could be JB Bickerstaff. Has history both here and with Rosas in Houston, and is quite good defensively. Maybe more of an assistant candidate, but it depends on how Rosas feels about him.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#6 » by Jedzz » Tue May 7, 2019 12:55 am

King Malta wrote:I also feel that a guy like Joerger who has apparently had conflict with front offices won't be high up his list. He's spoken several times about alignment, being on the same page etc. Working closely and in a positive fashion with all areas of the organization is clearly a priority for him and I don't think he'll be looking for an abrasive character.

Some great teams were put together by a pair of guys who were all about abrasion. Checks and balances work great as long as there is respect and good communication.
King Malta
Starter

Post#7 » by King Malta » Tue May 7, 2019 12:57 am

Jedzz wrote:
King Malta wrote:I also feel that a guy like Joerger who has apparently had conflict with front offices won't be high up his list. He's spoken several times about alignment, being on the same page etc. Working closely and in a positive fashion with all areas of the organization is clearly a priority for him and I don't think he'll be looking for an abrasive character.

Some great teams were put together by a pair of guys who were all about abrasion. Checks and balances work great as long as there is respect and good communication.

The inverse is also true. I'm not saying it's impossible or even unlikely to achieve success with abrasive characters, I just don't feel like that's an approach that Rosas will favour based on what he's said in interviews.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#8 » by Jedzz » Tue May 7, 2019 1:10 am

King Malta wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

The inverse is also true. I'm not saying it's impossible or even unlikely to achieve success with abrasive characters, I just don't feel like that's an approach that Rosas will favour based on what he's said in interviews.
probably right
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#9 » by Calinks » Tue May 7, 2019 1:34 am

It's incredibly unlikely but................... maybe Brad Stevens gets fired and we snatch him up. XD
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 7, 2019 1:51 am

Klomp wrote:It sure seems that, at minimum, Rosas will do his due diligence in finding a new coach. Doesn't sound like it'll just be handed to Saunders, even if he ultimately gets the job. It's the right thing to do.

So what are some names you think will or should be looked at?

Joerger is obvious. Don't know who else.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 7, 2019 1:53 am

Those types can actually be pretty good. Musselman, Billy Martin in baseball. However, I think you are right. Harmony from top to bottom is what Rosas is looking for.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Klomp » Tue May 7, 2019 1:57 am

KGdaBom wrote:

Those types can actually be pretty good. Musselman, Billy Martin in baseball. However, I think you are right. Harmony from top to bottom is what Rosas is looking for.

How was Musselman good?

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#13 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 7, 2019 2:00 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

How was Musselman good?

Musselman in my estimation is the best basketball coach of all time. He got more out of less everywhere he went whether college, the minor league or the NBA. Loved him.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#14 » by Neeva » Thu May 9, 2019 1:33 am

If stevens becomes available should the wolves jump in?
King Malta
Starter

Post#15 » by King Malta » Thu May 9, 2019 1:55 am

Neeva wrote:If stevens becomes available should the wolves jump in?

Oh for sure, but I highly doubt the C's are going to do that.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#16 » by Neeva » Thu May 9, 2019 2:00 am

King Malta wrote:
Neeva wrote:If stevens becomes available should the wolves jump in?

Oh for sure, but I highly doubt the C's are going to do that.

They need to do something.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Klomp » Thu May 9, 2019 2:08 am

Neeva wrote:They need to do something.

A coaching change wouldn't make it any more likely Kyrie stays, and Stevens is a coach I'd want for a team that's retooling after a star player departure.

King Malta
Starter

Post#18 » by King Malta » Thu May 9, 2019 2:22 am

Klomp wrote:
Neeva wrote:They need to do something.

A coaching change wouldn't make it any more likely Kyrie stays, and Stevens is a coach I'd want for a team that's retooling after a star player departure.

Agree. Plus, Ainge seems to be too smart to make a questionable move for the sake of change, don't see them sacking him.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#19 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 9, 2019 2:25 am

Dwayne CASEY WAS FIRED for winning Coach of the Year. Strange things happen.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Thu May 9, 2019 2:37 am

KGdaBom wrote:Dwayne CASEY WAS FIRED for winning Coach of the Year. Strange things happen.

I suppose we better talk about what we should do after we trade Towns for Dwight Howard then. After all, strange things happen....

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves