ImageImageImage

The search for a new coach results in Ryan Saunders (pg 11)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,733

Re: The search for a new coach results in Ryan Saunders (pg 11) 

Post#301 » by minimus » Wed May 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#302 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:15 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:What does success mean to you? You've already stated that he has no chance to make the playoffs. Succeeds to me would be making the playoffs this season and winning at least one round. If that happens I will admit to one and all that I was wrong about him. If he doesn't make the playoffs at all I will take that as proof that I was right about him. If he makes the playoffs, but loses in round one the jury will still be out IMO.

I doubt ANY coach could do what you are asking Ryan to do.
My question is how do you know if any of the "qualified" candidates could have done what you ask. And how many of them had success elsewhere?

I will never know how the qualified candidates would have done because they didn't get the opportunity.
I asked what success means to you. Does not making the playoffs equal success because we get another lottery pick. Does the players saying we really like this guy equal success. Okogie shooting better? What does it look like to you?

Again I ask you, what makes the others more "qualified" than Ryan? What have they "accomplished?"
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,866

Post#303 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 22, 2019 3:38 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
I doubt ANY coach could do what you are asking Ryan to do.
My question is how do you know if any of the "qualified" candidates could have done what you ask. And how many of them had success elsewhere?

I will never know how the qualified candidates would have done because they didn't get the opportunity.
I asked what success means to you. Does not making the playoffs equal success because we get another lottery pick. Does the players saying we really like this guy equal success. Okogie shooting better? What does it look like to you?

Again I ask you, what makes the others more "qualified" than Ryan? What have they "accomplished?"

D League coach of the year,Lead assistant or associate head coach for successful organizations, stuff like that. Saunders was never even a lead assistant. Fonz we both hope he does great, but he never had the credentials for even an interim head coach, much less a permanent one.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#304 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:49 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I will never know how the qualified candidates would have done because they didn't get the opportunity.

D League coach of the year,Lead assistant or associate head coach for successful organizations, stuff like that. Saunders was never even a lead assistant. Fonz we both hope he does great, but he never had the credentials for even an interim head coach, much less a permanent one.

Again, I still don't see what your getting at.
Ryan was a asst. in Washington for several years, and here for several. That "lead" asst. argument is a weak one. Who knows exactly what a "lead" asst does different than an asst. He has worked in player development almost everywhere, is well respected by ALL.
I get that you don't think he's the right choice, but don't heap impossible expectations on him, only to say I told you so when your expectations aren't met. Just sayin. Give him a shot. Like Wiggins, we are "stuck" with him for a while.

Edit*** Also you say having a asst coach for successful organizations, is the same as some saying that Ryan got the job because of his last name. Boone, Finch, Howard etc, didn't actually RUN a successful program but was an asst coach and can take credit for ....nothing.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#305 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 22, 2019 3:58 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

Ryan was a asst. in Washington for several years, and here for several. That "lead" asst. argument is a weak one. Who knows exactly what a "lead" asst does different than an asst. He has worked in player development almost everywhere, is well respected by ALL.
I get that you don't think he's the right choice, but don't heap impossible expectations on him, only to say I told you so when your expectations aren't met. Just sayin. Give him a shot. Like Wiggins, we are "stuck" with him for a while.

Edit*** Also you say having a asst coach for successful organizations, is the same as some saying that Ryan got the job because of his last name. Boone, Finch, Howard etc, didn't actually RUN a successful program but was an asst coach and can take credit for ....nothing.

Fonz if you can't look at Finch's credentials and see how superior they are to Saunders than there is nothing more to discuss. Lead assistant the step between assistant and head coach. Saunders is completely devoid of the normal credentials needed to be a Head Coach. We wish him well, but please stop with the nonsense that he is qualified.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#306 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:12 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:D League coach of the year,Lead assistant or associate head coach for successful organizations, stuff like that. Saunders was never even a lead assistant. Fonz we both hope he does great, but he never had the credentials for even an interim head coach, much less a permanent one.

Fonz if you can't look at Finch's credentials and see how superior they are to Saunders than there is nothing more to discuss. Lead assistant the step between assistant and head coach. Saunders is completely devoid of the normal credentials needed to be a Head Coach. We wish him well, but please stop with the nonsense that he is qualified.

Okay. We will agree to disagree. I guess if Finch is so qualified why aren't teams beating down his door? He may have everything he needs on paper, but how's his relationship with players? Ryan seems to have that respect, and Towns respects him. He may or may not be qualified, but to say he needs to make it past the first round year one is asking for too much considering it hasn't been done in over 15 years.
Also, qualifications are subjective. Adelman had qualifications, and so did Thibs. Even Rambis had them..... So much for Qualifications.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#307 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 22, 2019 4:25 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Again, I still don't see what your getting at.

Okay. We will agree to disagree. I guess if Finch is so qualified why aren't teams beating down his door? He may have everything he needs on paper, but how's his relationship with players? Ryan seems to have that respect, and Towns respects him. He may or may not be qualified, but to say he needs to make it past the first round year one is asking for too much considering it hasn't been done in over 15 years.
Also, qualifications are subjective. Adelman had qualifications, and so did Thibs. Even Rambis had them..... So much for Qualifications.

Yep if you throw having qualifications in the trash Saunders makes an excellent Head Coaching choice. Then again without the need for those pesky qualifications I think I would be a great PoBO. As for making it past the first round that is what he needs to do to impress me. If he makes the playoffs that is probably enough to keep the job. If he doesn't make the playoffs what possible reason can there be to retain him. Golly gee the players really like him? Is that what it takes to be a head coach in the NBA.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#308 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:45 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Fonz if you can't look at Finch's credentials and see how superior they are to Saunders than there is nothing more to discuss. Lead assistant the step between assistant and head coach. Saunders is completely devoid of the normal credentials needed to be a Head Coach. We wish him well, but please stop with the nonsense that he is qualified.

Yep if you throw having qualifications in the trash Saunders makes an excellent Head Coaching choice. Then again without the need for those pesky qualifications I think I would be a great PoBO. As for making it past the first round that is what he needs to do to impress me. If he makes the playoffs that is probably enough to keep the job. If he doesn't make the playoffs what possible reason can there be to retain him. Golly gee the players really like him? Is that what it takes to be a head coach in the NBA.

Well it is a "players" league, so I would say keeping your star player happy has to be a priority. Like it or not.
Also, Thibs and Adelman had qualifications. How did that work?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#309 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

Well it is a "players" league, so I would say keeping your star player happy has to be a priority. Like it or not.

Thibs did well. Adelman was old and washed up. He was actually falling asleep at the end of games. Keeping KAT happy and losing how long is that going to last.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#310 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:06 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Yep if you throw having qualifications in the trash Saunders makes an excellent Head Coaching choice. Then again without the need for those pesky qualifications I think I would be a great PoBO. As for making it past the first round that is what he needs to do to impress me. If he makes the playoffs that is probably enough to keep the job. If he doesn't make the playoffs what possible reason can there be to retain him. Golly gee the players really like him? Is that what it takes to be a head coach in the NBA.

Thibs did well. Adelman was old and washed up. He was actually falling asleep at the end of games. Keeping KAT happy and losing how long is that going to last.

Thibs did well? He helped to set us back a few years, and Adelman had those precious "qualifications" you so desire washed up or not.
And don't assume we will be losing. But how long does losing AND playing for a coach you don't like last?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,733

Post#311 » by minimus » Wed May 22, 2019 5:15 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Yep if you throw having qualifications in the trash Saunders makes an excellent Head Coaching choice. Then again without the need for those pesky qualifications I think I would be a great PoBO. As for making it past the first round that is what he needs to do to impress me. If he makes the playoffs that is probably enough to keep the job. If he doesn't make the playoffs what possible reason can there be to retain him. Golly gee the players really like him? Is that what it takes to be a head coach in the NBA.

Thibs did well.

:lol:

Actually Thibs did excellent job, making everybody, literally everybody happy. In locker room, in MIN organization, in social media.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#312 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

Thibs did well? He helped to set us back a few years, and Adelman had those precious "qualifications" you so desire washed up or not.
And don't assume we will be losing. But how long does losing AND playing for a coach you don't like last?

Thibs did well. He got us back to the playoffs with a 47 win season. Not his fault Glen wouldn't let him get rid of Wiggins and then Butler turned into a complete a$$hole. If you don't think we will be losing than you should side with me on Saunders needing to make the playoffs. Also just because players like Saunders doesn't mean they wouldn't have liked Finch or whoever. Regardless Saunders is the coach probably for at least this whole season and maybe even longer. We both want the best for the Wolves so go Wolves and Go Saunders.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,108

Post#313 » by Klomp » Wed May 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,785

Post#314 » by Slim Tubby » Wed May 22, 2019 6:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Thibs did well. Adelman was old and washed up. He was actually falling asleep at the end of games. Keeping KAT happy and losing how long is that going to last.

Thibs did well. He got us back to the playoffs with a 47 win season. Not his fault Glen wouldn't let him get rid of Wiggins and then Butler turned into a complete a$$hole. If you don't think we will be losing than you should side with me on Saunders needing to make the playoffs. Also just because players like Saunders doesn't mean they wouldn't have liked Finch or whoever. Regardless Saunders is the coach probably for at least this whole season and maybe even longer. We both want the best for the Wolves so go Wolves and Go Saunders.

KG...was there any link or report that we had actually reached out/spoke with Finch? Would it be too much of a lateral move to hire him as an Associate Head Coach to Saunders? (Never going to happen...just curious)
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#315 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 22, 2019 6:30 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

KG...was there any link or report that we had actually reached out/spoke with Finch? Would it be too much of a lateral move to hire him as an Associate Head Coach to Saunders? (Never going to happen...just curious)

Word is that he interviewed for the job. I can't imagine he would want to take the humiliation of assisting a man that he is far more qualified than.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#316 » by Dewey » Wed May 22, 2019 10:08 pm

The reocurring theme the past few pages tells me there are lots of names out there which are potentially: overrated, overhyped, used goods, lack vision, or simply assumed to be qualified for a HC ... maybe they are good maybe they are not, but either way, reminds me of many past drafts where decisions appear based on media hype, only to see them flop.

Lets get some good assistants, make a few roster changes, and get to work. Enough of the drama.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#317 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#318 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:06 am

Read on Twitter

King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#319 » by King Malta » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:49 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just listened to this at work, was pretty good.

Ryan is very easy to root for, comes across really well.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves