ImageImageImage

The search for a new coach results in Ryan Saunders (pg 11)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: The search for a new coach results in Ryan Saunders (pg 11) 

Post#341 » by Jedzz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:05 pm

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
:lol:

Actually Thibs did excellent job, making everybody, literally everybody happy. In locker room, in MIN organization, in social media.

Your sarcasm is lost on me. He dragged a bunch of perennial losers and perennial losing accepting fans to the playoffs. Sure, he was an absolute idiot to agree with the owner on signing Wiggins to the max, and before that Dieng to his lofty deal. But I can guarantee most of those throwing around sarcastic snobbish comments now were actually part of the mob telling everyone that those deals were absolutely fine at the time, and probably were in some way part of the pressure Thibs felt to agree to sign them. That's the part that Ts me off every time they snicker now. I was stomping my feet at the thought of these things and every person I spoke to was shushing and placating me about how great he will become and how we would rue the day we let him get away.

It sucks that Wiggins wasn't righteously lowballed and forced to seek out idiots to pay him more elsewhere or end up signing here for a normal deal for a young undeveloped player. If not for that, Jimmy would have stayed and been paid and been a consumate leader here. Instead we dragged out his inner drama queen and made everyone involved look worse for it, blew up the teams plans and now we are back talking about longterm development towards some pie in the sky perfect year down the road. As per usual. Bring on the next 15 year drought.

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Thibs reckless management style is the first reason why we ended up with awfully balanced roster now. I am sure that Rosas could put these type of deals that Thibs did to save his job "under pressure". The difference is clear to me. Then about Butler. Are you sure that Jimmy left because of Wiggins and money and not Thibs? Why Butler asked to be traded from PHI then? KAT said in his last interview about "slap in face" people management under Thibs. Thibs risks as basketball leader and manager were clear for everyone, yet some CHI fans pictured him as victim in CHI. Unfortunately, Thibs is what he is, he had every single chance and opportunity here, but he can blame now only himself. Not fans, not Glen, not KAT, not Wiggins, not Butler.

You have it all figured out in your mind. Except there are numerous holes in your theory. The biggest laugher is you not understanding how keeping Wiggins and his new deal killed everything here. Of course you won't admit to it, because you and others were part of the crew outright demanding it get done.

I've gone through all those theory holes here enough times that I won't continue on them. Who or what the big bad man was as a person while he flipped the losing script is besides the point. I'll only further speak on this to say two things broke his Timberwolves era. What broke the Thibs Wolves winning was Butler demanding to be out and the few people and players that did not buy in, ever. But Butler leaving had precursors. There was a way to keep him and allow him to lead your team. Ultimately both Glen and Thibs did not make the correct moves to do so. Those moves started slightly with Dieng's deal and then mostly Wiggin's deal which I think was a sign of the team bowing to Towns' demands. At that point I'm sure Butler already knew he was getting gone somehow.

Butler in Philly may have had the same issues in that that Team was focused on Embiid and Simmons and not about to let either of them get away. They may or may not have been willing to pay Butler enough or give him enough respect. But Butler might have felt they needed to walk away from Simmons and bring someone else in for that team to win more. Or maybe he felt Embiid had too much power and was not the level of committed pro he needed to be around in order to really win. I do think Butler should have stayed there if they were willing to pay him. As seen in the playoffs, he was able to take them over and lead them. But maybe he saw breaks in those ranks during the playoffs, or maybe there were things said and done after they ended up losing by a single final shot in a game. Things we will never know for 500 Alex.

I do also laugh a little when you complain about Thib's "awfully unbalanced roster". I look at the new regimes roster and wonder, what are they doing? We have 30 wings and 1 known talent as a big. They are already preaching 1-3-1 to explain it. Yet they have a 1 yr vet PG they didn't move and then no one that anyone here is willing to move forward with. How is this so different from the THibs team that was short on wings and heavy on PGs? These look like common unbalances to me, but Thibs brought players in that could somewhat help with shooting and leadership at least. Who leads this team right now? Towns?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#342 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Your sarcasm is lost on me. He dragged a bunch of perennial losers and perennial losing accepting fans to the playoffs. Sure, he was an absolute idiot to agree with the owner on signing Wiggins to the max, and before that Dieng to his lofty deal. But I can guarantee most of those throwing around sarcastic snobbish comments now were actually part of the mob telling everyone that those deals were absolutely fine at the time, and probably were in some way part of the pressure Thibs felt to agree to sign them. That's the part that Ts me off every time they snicker now. I was stomping my feet at the thought of these things and every person I spoke to was shushing and placating me about how great he will become and how we would rue the day we let him get away.

It sucks that Wiggins wasn't righteously lowballed and forced to seek out idiots to pay him more elsewhere or end up signing here for a normal deal for a young undeveloped player. If not for that, Jimmy would have stayed and been paid and been a consumate leader here. Instead we dragged out his inner drama queen and made everyone involved look worse for it, blew up the teams plans and now we are back talking about longterm development towards some pie in the sky perfect year down the road. As per usual. Bring on the next 15 year drought.

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Thibs reckless management style is the first reason why we ended up with awfully balanced roster now. I am sure that Rosas could put these type of deals that Thibs did to save his job "under pressure". The difference is clear to me. Then about Butler. Are you sure that Jimmy left because of Wiggins and money and not Thibs? Why Butler asked to be traded from PHI then? KAT said in his last interview about "slap in face" people management under Thibs. Thibs risks as basketball leader and manager were clear for everyone, yet some CHI fans pictured him as victim in CHI. Unfortunately, Thibs is what he is, he had every single chance and opportunity here, but he can blame now only himself. Not fans, not Glen, not KAT, not Wiggins, not Butler.

You have it all figured out in your mind. Except there are numerous holes in your theory. The biggest laugher is you not understanding how keeping Wiggins and his new deal killed everything here. Of course you won't admit to it, because you and others were part of the crew outright demanding it get done.

I've gone through all those theory holes here enough times that I won't continue on them. Who or what the big bad man was as a person while he flipped the losing script is besides the point. I'll only further speak on this to say two things broke his Timberwolves era. What broke the Thibs Wolves winning was Butler demanding to be out and the few people and players that did not buy in, ever. But Butler leaving had precursors. There was a way to keep him and allow him to lead your team. Ultimately both Glen and Thibs did not make the correct moves to do so. Those moves started slightly with Dieng's deal and then mostly Wiggin's deal which I think was a sign of the team bowing to Towns' demands. At that point I'm sure Butler already knew he was getting gone somehow.

Butler in Philly may have had the same issues in that that Team was focused on Embiid and Simmons and not about to let either of them get away. They may or may not have been willing to pay Butler enough or give him enough respect. But Butler might have felt they needed to walk away from Simmons and bring someone else in for that team to win more. Or maybe he felt Embiid had too much power and was not the level of committed pro he needed to be around in order to really win. I do think Butler should have stayed there if they were willing to pay him. As seen in the playoffs, he was able to take them over and lead them. But maybe he saw breaks in those ranks during the playoffs, or maybe there were things said and done after they ended up losing by a single final shot in a game. Things we will never know for 500 Alex.

The reports are that Philly offered the maximum possible contract. 5 years and I think $190 million. Not sure about that number. Butler turned them down.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#343 » by Jedzz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:The reports are that Philly offered the maximum possible contract. 5 years and I think $190 million. Not sure about that number. Butler turned them down.

That is what I thought I heard rumored too. Great. And Kawhi walked away from Toronto who was trying to jump through all the loops he was asking for. Anthony Davis forced his way off a team trying to build everything around him. These teams were willing to pay those guys too. Are they not every bit as bad of people as some Wolves followers claim Butler is? The examples are all over this league. Kevin Love was our other recent prick that wanted out of what he felt was the wrong situation for him.

I would suggest it is fairly rare to find great players like Lillard that want to stay put and are willing to work through ups and downs. But there is one difference with Butler. He has not ever been treated as that guy. He wasn't the starting piece that they built around. He didn't have that star draft power from the beginning. I see Kawhi has earned that power and it looks like he chose a team that will let it happen around him now.

It's obviously not all about the money if Philly was willing to pay. Minnesota saying they were willing to give him top 4 year dollars also proved that. I do think it's always been about a team's willingness to let him help lead the team and not have a few young players be immovable core pieces that both he and the team have to work around while trying to win more. Philly seems very much like MN in that regard with Embiid/Simmons and Towns/Wiggins. The Heat might be more willing to do what they need to, or at least they might have promised Butler that.
Guardian
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#344 » by Guardian » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Guardian wrote:I mean, it seems as if the players are going out of their way to praise him so that's obviously a good thing. Whether that translates into wins and losses remains to be seen. I think we need an 82 game sample size after a training camp to begin to draw conclusions.

If not Saunders who right now? It's a low risk-high reward hire given where we are at the moment.
The risk of canning yet another coach is continuing to pay two head coaches that are no longer here. I don't know if Ryan was giving multiple year deal or not, but Glen will be paying Thibs for a while yet. I'm guessing that Ryan is set up financially for many of his years to come with or without a coaching job. So I'm of the cold hearted put up or get out mindset myself without feelins. However I don't like seeing the team constantly having to retool itself around new coaches all the time.

Yeah that’s another thing. Coaching turnover has absolutely killed us. I feel like with the stability we hopefully have in the FO it’ll translate to stability on the bench. Otherwise these guys don’t have a chance.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#345 » by minimus » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:54 am

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

I do also laugh a little when you complain about Thib's "awfully unbalanced roster". I look at the new regimes roster and wonder, what are they doing? We have 30 wings and 1 known talent as a big. They are already preaching 1-3-1 to explain it. Yet they have a 1 yr vet PG they didn't move and then no one that anyone here is willing to move forward with. How is this so different from the THibs team that was short on wings and heavy on PGs? These look like common unbalances to me, but Thibs brought players in that could somewhat help with shooting and leadership at least. Who leads this team right now? Towns?

So many good words, that you could have used to make this world better.

The biggest laugher is you not understanding that contract negotiations is GM/POBO responsibility. That is why owners hire POBO. To make these basketball decisions. When I say basketball decision it implies money factor as well. Thibs did not understand it. Thibs overpaid EVERY contract he gave. Wiggins contract including. But you still blame Glen. Rosas just quietly refused to "overpay" Tyus, local fan favourite, because he thinks wider. That is how POBO acts.

Thib's "awfully unbalanced roster" is not something you laugh about, we you should cry about it. Dieng + Teague = 36mil. Is it Rosas who gave thesу awful contracts? Because of these contracts Rosas has no room to operate. Was it Rosas who missed Bjelica and Tyus contract extension? So we are now without bargain role players at PF and PG? 1+3+1, sure with KAT as leader. What's you problem with this vision?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#346 » by Jedzz » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:26 am

minimus wrote:The biggest laugher is you not understanding that contract negotiations is GM/POBO responsibility. That is why owners hire POBO. To make these basketball decisions. When I say basketball decision it implies money factor as well. Thibs did not understand it. Thibs overpaid EVERY contract he gave. Wiggins contract including. But you still blame Glen. Rosas just quietly refused to "overpay" Tyus, local fan favourite, because he thinks wider. That is how POBO acts.

I didn't comment on Rosas deals. This convo isn't about Rosas.

Again, the laugher is most likely what you were saying before Wiggins was signed and the day after. Should we/can we find it? I'm guessing you demanded Wiggins stay. I'm guessing you defended Thibs then like you are doing with Rosas now. Now it's "he screwed up".

But Glen you want to absolve and claim this is all Thibs. Claiming Thibs made all calls. You mean like when Glen went out to other teams and told them he doesn't care what they've heard from Thibs, that Butler was indeed getting moved. Does that sound like the situation you claimed it was? How about when Glen told reporters he was willing to MAX Wiggins as long as Wiggs would come meet with him personally first. Yeah hands off owner, right... How about Saunders being retained. Thibs idea? Wasn't Adelman's boy still here too for a while? Thibs idea?
minimus
RealGM

Post#347 » by minimus » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:31 am

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:The biggest laugher is you not understanding that contract negotiations is GM/POBO responsibility. That is why owners hire POBO. To make these basketball decisions. When I say basketball decision it implies money factor as well. Thibs did not understand it. Thibs overpaid EVERY contract he gave. Wiggins contract including. But you still blame Glen. Rosas just quietly refused to "overpay" Tyus, local fan favourite, because he thinks wider. That is how POBO acts.

Again, the laugher is most likely what you were saying before Wiggins was signed and the day after. Should we/can we find it? I'm guessing you demanded Wiggins stay. I'm guessing you defended Thibs then like you are doing with Rosas now.

But Glen you want to absolve and claim this is all Thibs. Claiming Thibs made all calls. You mean like when Glen went out to other teams and told them he doesn't care what they've heard from Thibs, that Butler was indeed getting moved. Does that sound like the situation you claimed it was? How about when Glen told reporters he was willing to MAX Wiggins as long as Wiggs would come meet with him personally first. Yeah hands off owner, right...

Do you hear anything about Glen now? No, it means that Rosas is doing good job as POBO. I remember times when our FO did not listen offers for Butler, even if our entire organisation was about to explode. Good job Thibs as POBO? So yeah, keep blaming Glen.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#348 » by Jedzz » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:37 am

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Again, the laugher is most likely what you were saying before Wiggins was signed and the day after. Should we/can we find it? I'm guessing you demanded Wiggins stay. I'm guessing you defended Thibs then like you are doing with Rosas now.

But Glen you want to absolve and claim this is all Thibs. Claiming Thibs made all calls. You mean like when Glen went out to other teams and told them he doesn't care what they've heard from Thibs, that Butler was indeed getting moved. Does that sound like the situation you claimed it was? How about when Glen told reporters he was willing to MAX Wiggins as long as Wiggs would come meet with him personally first. Yeah hands off owner, right...

Do you hear anything about Glen now? No, it means that Rosas is doing good job as POBO. I remember times when our FO did not listen offers for Butler, even if our entire organisation was about to explode. Good job Thibs as POBO? So yeah, keep blaming Glen.

Look at you. Trying to change the subject now? Come on. Was my post wrong? I'm spot on. Look at you...would you rather talk about the burning of rainforests for TP or something? Cause it seems like you're all out of gas on the Thibs fantasies.

Rosas and Glen? You sure you want to discuss that now? Do you honestly believe his first choice for Coach was keeping Saunders? How about that coaching search? You know, this thread. How many of those reviewed coaches just got through puberty? All of them? Right, Glen isn't still involved at all. Rosas had about as much control there as Thibs did, no matter what they openly say. I also still see Wiggins here. For that matter I still see Towns here. I can tell you everyone would be open for trade discussions if I walked into this mess to take over. Of course only if Glen let me.
minimus
RealGM

Post#349 » by minimus » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:45 am

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Look at you. Trying to change the subject now? Come on. Was my post wrong? I'm spot on. Look at you...would you rather talk about the burning of rainforests for TP or something? Cause it seems like you're all out of gas on the Thibs fantasies.

Rosas and Glen? You sure you want to discuss that now? Do you honestly believe his first choice for Coach was keeping Saunders? How about that coaching search? You know, this thread. How many of those reviewed coaches just got through puberty? All of them? Right, Glen isn't still involved at all. Rosas had about as much control there as Thibs did, no matter what they openly say. I also still see Wiggins here. For that matter I still see Towns here. I can tell you everyone would be open for trade discussions if I walked into this mess to take over. Of course only if Glen let me.

You write too many words on many topics in many threads, it is hard to understand for me as English is my 4th language (after Russian, Italian and German). If you want a direct answer from me, please ping me in PM.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#350 » by Jedzz » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:11 pm

minimus wrote:[

You write too many words on many topics in many threads, it is hard to understand for me as English is my 4th language (after Russian, Italian and German). If you want a direct answer from me, please ping me in PM.

Nice act. You want to laugh at someone's opinions out in the open until the moment you don't. Is that it? I'm happy to end the discussion here openly.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Post#351 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:53 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves