ImageImageImage

Draft pick dreaming.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Draft pick dreaming. 

Post#1 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed May 8, 2019 5:19 pm

Just dreaming about some players we could have had on this squad.

Now I realize that our draft position would have changed depending on the development of said players, but humor me and pretend we were in the same slot over the years.

I am doing this because of the success other players are having that we have passed on.

I only plan to go back to 2010 because everybody knows Curry would have changed everything.

2010: #4 pick Wesley Johnson
On the board: D Cousins, P George, Gordon Hayward

2011: #2 Derrick Williams
On the board: Kemba Walker, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler
Note: Had rights to Nikola Mirotic but traded to Chi.

2012: No First: #10 McHale sent it to the Clippers as part of the Sam Cassell trade that brought us Jaric.
I think we had Utah's first but sent it to Houston #18 I think.
Weak draft Terrance Jones was selected.

2013: #9 drafted Tre Burke, traded to Utah for picks #14 Shabazz, and #21 Dieng
On the Board at #9 CJ McCollum at #14 Giannis, #21 Rudy Gobert, Mason Plumblee

2014: #13 Zach LaVine
On the board: Gary Harris, Rodney Hood, Clint Capela

2015: #1 Towns, Great call.
On the Board: DLo Russell, Okafor, Porzingas, Devin Booker

2016: #5 K Dunn
On the board: B Heild, J Murray, Pascal?

2017: #7 Traded to Chi along with LaVine, Dunn for Butler and #18 Patton
On the Board: Lauri Markkenen, Dennis Smith, Donovan Micthell Kyle Kuzma, OG Anunoby

2018: #20 J Okogie Good call.
On the board: Anferee Simons, Landry Shamet.

So my drafts would of look like this.

2010 P George
2011 Kawhi Leonard / Mirotic
2012 No pick/ T Jones?
2013 Giannis
2014 Z LaVine
2015 Towns
2016 J Murray
2017 Keep pick and draft D Mitchell
2018 J Okogie

I know it's hindsight, but thought it would be fun to do.
Plus it's very slow at work lately.

That would be a contender easy.
Pretty sure this was probably done before, but I missed it.
yawner
Sophomore
And1: 39

Re: Draft pick dreaming. 

Post#2 » by yawner » Wed May 8, 2019 5:38 pm

Don´t hurt yourself. I know that pain is a given for a Timberwolves fan. And now that Glen Taylor has, apparently, done something good, we can´t help but miss the familiar embrace of desperation. Be strong, mate. Be strong.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,392

Post#3 » by shrink » Wed May 8, 2019 6:15 pm

I don’t like looking too far down the draft past the specific pick. I think when we make a decision, there are only a few realistic option, especially at the higher levels, based on what we know at the time. For example, I don’t have any problem drafting Derrick Williams at #2, because at the time, he had the highest probability of success, based on what we knew at that time. Enis Kanter went #3 and Tristan Thomas #4, so no great other choices. Sometimes you just get a high pick in the wrong year (#3 pick for Laettner, when Shaq and Mourning go #1-2, is another example).

However, the draft that could have really changed our fortunes was 2013. Flip wisely traded down the #9 (Trey Burke) for #14 (Shabazz) and #21 (Gorgui). That was a good trade, and Shabazz had upside, and Gorgui played very well for the #21 pick. However, #15 was Giannis, and #27 was Rudy Gobert.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,179

Post#4 » by Neeva » Wed May 8, 2019 6:31 pm

The thing that really stings is they played the same freaking position so you lnow Flip was looking at them as well and picked the wrong dude.

shrink wrote:I don’t like looking too far down the draft past the specific pick. I think when we make a decision, there are only a few realistic option, especially at the higher levels, based on what we know at the time. For example, I don’t have any problem drafting Derrick Williams at #2, because at the time, he had the highest probability of success, based on what we knew at that time. Enis Kanter went #3 and Tristan Thomas #4, so no great other choices. Sometimes you just get a high pick in the wrong year (#3 pick for Laettner, when Shaq and Mourning go #1-2, is another example).

However, the draft that could have really changed our fortunes was 2013. Flip wisely traded down the #9 (Trey Burke) for #14 (Shabazz) and #21 (Gorgui). That was a good trade, and Shabazz had upside, and Gorgui played very well for the #21 pick. However, #15 was Giannis, and #27 was Rudy Gobert.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#5 » by Dewey » Wed May 8, 2019 7:05 pm

Certain players get so much media hype that it eventually seems to artificially influence player value. The so-called NBA experts on TV are all in on and hype those picks, so they are as quilty as anyone. However, the teams themselves clearly need adequate scouting to work through those dogs.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,511

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Wed May 8, 2019 7:10 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Just dreaming about some players we could have had on this squad.

Now I realize that our draft position would have changed depending on the development of said players, but humor me and pretend we were in the same slot over the years.

I am doing this because of the success other players are having that we have passed on.

I only plan to go back to 2010 because everybody knows Curry would have changed everything.

2010: #4 pick Wesley Johnson
On the board: D Cousins, P George, Gordon Hayward

2011: #2 Derrick Williams
On the board: Kemba Walker, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler
Note: Had rights to Nikola Mirotic but traded to Chi.

2012: No First: #10 McHale sent it to the Clippers as part of the Sam Cassell trade that brought us Jaric.
I think we had Utah's first but sent it to Houston #18 I think.
Weak draft Terrance Jones was selected.

2013: #9 drafted Tre Burke, traded to Utah for picks #14 Shabazz, and #21 Dieng
On the Board at #9 CJ McCollum at #14 Giannis, #21 Rudy Gobert, Mason Plumblee

2014: #13 Zach LaVine
On the board: Gary Harris, Rodney Hood, Clint Capela

2015: #1 Towns, Great call.
On the Board: DLo Russell, Okafor, Porzingas, Devin Booker

2016: #5 K Dunn
On the board: B Heild, J Murray, Pascal?

2017: #7 Traded to Chi along with LaVine, Dunn for Butler and #18 Patton
On the Board: Lauri Markkenen, Dennis Smith, Donovan Micthell Kyle Kuzma, OG Anunoby

2018: #20 J Okogie Good call.
On the board: Anferee Simons, Landry Shamet.

So my drafts would of look like this.

2010 P George
2011 Kawhi Leonard / Mirotic
2012 No pick/ T Jones?
2013 Giannis
2014 Z LaVine
2015 Towns
2016 J Murray
2017 Keep pick and draft D Mitchell
2018 J Okogie

I know it's hindsight, but thought it would be fun to do.
Plus it's very slow at work lately.

That would be a contender easy.
Pretty sure this was probably done before, but I missed it.

You left out where Nikola Jokic was taken one pick after Glenn Robinson III.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,511

Post#7 » by Worm Guts » Wed May 8, 2019 7:16 pm

Neeva wrote:The thing that really stings is they played the same freaking position so you lnow Flip was looking at them as well and picked the wrong dude.

shrink wrote:I don’t like looking too far down the draft past the specific pick. I think when we make a decision, there are only a few realistic option, especially at the higher levels, based on what we know at the time. For example, I don’t have any problem drafting Derrick Williams at #2, because at the time, he had the highest probability of success, based on what we knew at that time. Enis Kanter went #3 and Tristan Thomas #4, so no great other choices. Sometimes you just get a high pick in the wrong year (#3 pick for Laettner, when Shaq and Mourning go #1-2, is another example).

Flip obviously wasn't much into Europeans. I also don't think he took 2nd round picks very seriously. One of the major flaws we've had as an organization throughout our history is that we have never really taken advantage of all avenues there are to improve our team.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#8 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed May 8, 2019 7:19 pm

Dewey wrote:Certain players get so much media hype that it eventually seems to artificially influence player value. The so-called NBA experts on TV are all in on and hype those picks, so they are as quilty as anyone. However, the teams themselves clearly need adequate scouting to work through those dogs.

Yeah Bazz had hype, but Flip should have chosen someone else based on the reaction Bazz had when his teammate hit a game winner and he refused to celebrate. It is what it is.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,807

Post#9 » by Klomp » Wed May 8, 2019 7:25 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Neeva wrote:The thing that really stings is they played the same freaking position so you lnow Flip was looking at them as well and picked the wrong dude.

Flip obviously wasn't much into Europeans. I also don't think he took 2nd round picks very seriously. One of the major flaws we've had as an organization throughout our history is that we have never really taken advantage of all avenues there are to improve our team.

I remember him saying as much during one of his Funkadelics. Remember the draft stocks of Dante Exum and Zach LaVine? His premise at the time was that if LaVine was the overseas prospect, he would've been the one getting the most hype of the two. I think that was even a predraft conversation. Gotta think he had similar thoughts around Giannis/Shabazz and Gobert/Dieng.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
GeekFreak
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#10 » by GeekFreak » Wed May 8, 2019 7:32 pm

The one I find most maddening is not taking Rudy Gobert with the #26 pick and trading it for $$$$. Flip explained after the draft that there were simply no good players left, well I watched the draft coverage and they were going on and on talking about how much up side Gobert had. You have an extra pick you take your shot, but saving Glen a few bucks was more important.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#11 » by andyhop » Thu May 9, 2019 10:37 am

The only draft pick reexamining I would really like to see is teams predraft evaluations of players.

Everyone lauds GM's for picks like Giannis and Gobert but if you drafted them expecting Giannis to be a rotation PF and Gobert to be a back up center , then you don't really deserve the credit for the pick as you effectively got lucky that your evaluation was wrong.

Then again if you drafted them with expectations that they had realistic chances to be who they are now you deserve a lot of credit.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Thu May 9, 2019 11:51 pm

Any team could be a superstar team if they could use hindsight and always select the best player, plus getting to keep the draft picks they got which they would not have got if they always selected the right player. I just don't get the point to this. Sure we could have had Steph Curry, and Paul George etc.. etc... etc...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves