Post#21 » by DaKid » Fri May 24, 2019 2:05 am

I would prefer Rubio coming back over teague or conley
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,967

Re: Rubio-Conley-Teague 

Post#22 » by Domejandro » Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 am

This is unbelievably dependent on how much Ricky commands in free-agency. Regardless, I don't think Memphis would bite on this.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#23 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:33 am

Domejandro wrote:This is unbelievably dependent on how much Ricky commands in free-agency. Regardless, I don't think Memphis would bite on this.

You don't think Memphis would bite on a 1st round pick to add to their number 2 this year. Rebuild with Morant, Jackson, another late first this season. Getting an expiring in Teague, adds with their two expiring contracts in Parsons and Jonas which would free 61 million for them in the summer of 2020.

So they get cap relief and future assets for their rebuild.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Post#24 » by shrink » Fri May 24, 2019 4:47 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:Utah sign and trade Rubio to MN, send 23rd overall pick to Memphis

Memphis sends Mike Conley to the Utah Jazz

Minnesota sends Jeff Teague to Memphis and future 2nd to Memphis

First off, kudos for listening to Locked on Jazz, David Locke is very smart, and I love when he is a guest on other national podcasts I listen to. I wish our Timberwolves “Locked On” pod was better.

As for the trade, we don’t see sign-and-trades much after they changed the CBA a few years ago. It’s possible the Jazz may do this to allot their cap space, but keep in mind that S&T deals must be either 3 or 4 years. UTA only does this if they want to operate as an over-the-cap team, otherwise they can send MEM cap space, if they are far enough under the cap to absorb Conley’s deal.

I would not have been shocked if MIN and UTA had swapped Teague and Rubio at the last deadline, if Teague had been healthy. UTA needs offense, and MIN was last in defense. They are comparably skilled players, with comparable contracts.

Lastly, I like the idea of using Rubio to help reach Wiggins, and he had his best years with Rubio. However, if we want to help Towns, Conley’s a much better fit. A Towns/Conley pick and roll or pick and pop would be deadly. Over on the Trade Board, most agree that Teague, Dieng, #11 is fair.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#25 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri May 24, 2019 4:54 am

I dont think a 3 way deal works because of memphis.

Jazz need a pg that is a scoring threat like a conley or teague.
Minny needs a shooter, but a facilitator and defender is also a need.

I can see the Jazz taking Teague and we sign Rubio, but only if the Jazz dont get Conley.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#26 » by King Malta » Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I dont think a 3 way deal works because of memphis.

Jazz need a pg that is a scoring threat like a conley or teague.
Minny needs a shooter, but a facilitator and defender is also a need.

I can see the Jazz taking Teague and we sign Rubio, but only if the Jazz dont get Conley.

Memphis will likely draft Morant and could probably use a solid vet who's a good locker room presence and willing to share minutes. Teague would be a good fit there IMO, despite his down year with us he's still a servicable NBA point guard and fills those above needs.

Also, he's 19 mil worth of cap space at the end of the year, which works heaps better than them paying Conley huge money for 2 more years after drafting their PG of the future.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#27 » by VCfor3 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:12 am

I think the question that needs to be answered on Memphis's end is why they don't just cut out MIN and get the cap space. They could then do something like Turner+#25 or Crabbe+#27 instead of Teague+2nd round pick. A good vet presence is nice and having a PG to take pressure off Ja when he is struggling is smart, but Delon Wright can probably fill that role well enough to go after a different deal that had a 1st involved. I realize it complicates things a little bit, but I wonder if Chicago or Phoenix would have interest in Teague and take him into their cap. You probably won't be able to get an asset out of them, but it makes the deal work for all parties I think.

Teague+Dieng+#11 for Conley is fair, but I wonder if Memphis would go with a different deal or not just because of Dieng tying up cap for another year (Leuer+Jackson+15 from Detroit for example is pure expirings). I wouldn't add much else to that package though if I was Minnesota because that is already fair value.

Reasonable trade ideas though so props for that guys.
shrink
RealGM

Post#28 » by shrink » Fri May 24, 2019 6:17 am

Nearly all rookies are negative players their first year as they get used to the speed of the NBA game, and rookie PG’s generally have the worst seasons of any position. Not only do they have so much more to learn for themselves, but they need to learn the way all their teammates play, to facilitate them offensively. Worse, unlike many other positions, if you have them learn on the fly, it hurts the learning curve of the other young players on the team.

If I ran MEM and was lucky enough to get Ja Morant, I certainly wouldn’t throw him off the deep end. This would be especially true is I wasn’t in a Win-now situation - I’d let him develop at his own pace, and earn his playing time in the NBA. I would look for a starter (not a bench PG) to be mentor as the future starter, and to take the pressure off him, but I would also want him to be in a very short deal, so he wouldn’t cost Morant minutes next year. I looked at the free agent PG’s that are starters and they are either too good and/or would demand a longer deal. Trading for the expirings of Teague, Dragic, or even Tony Parker might be an investment in Morant.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#29 » by Merc_Porto » Fri May 24, 2019 6:23 am

Love Ricky but no. That ship has sailed a long time ago.
Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 874

Post#30 » by Dalvin » Fri May 24, 2019 6:30 am

It would be great if we send Teague to the Jazz for capspace to sign Rubio back. It'd looked like we got Okogie for free :lol:
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#31 » by Foye » Fri May 24, 2019 9:33 am

KAT4PREZ wrote:Rubio was one of my favorite Timberwolfs of all time, but let’s not forget the player he is. He’s an absolute non scorer and would mess up whatever spacing we had. You don’t trade a non shooter for another non shooter when you need shooting.

I‘m willing to bet a lot Wiggins would greatly benefit from playing with Rubio again. More than Rubios lack of shooting will hurt
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#32 » by minimus » Fri May 24, 2019 10:16 am

As much as I love Rubio's game, it is time to move on. Any NBA team will exploit his inability to shoot and create himself scoring opportunities as starting PG. I'd be more than happy to have him as backup PG, but I doubt he accepts this role/salary, he rather gets back to Spain. Also I have high hope for Tyus as Rubio successor: a steady pass-first PG who can execute, defend, shoot open 3s and dont turn the ball over.

P.S. Can beardy Rubio bring that playoff swag in MIN? Could be my dream scenario.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#33 » by Killboard » Fri May 24, 2019 12:21 pm

So, in this trade scenario, and because the wolves will be above the cap, we only can absorve Rubio if his new extension is close to what Teague makes.

That's a bad scenario, since I dont think Ricky comands much more than the MLE in FA and Teague is signed for twice as much. Not only would be a overpay for Rubio but Teague expiring is the most easy way of clean some space under the tax line next season.
shrink
RealGM

Post#34 » by shrink » Fri May 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Killboard wrote:So, in this trade scenario, and because the wolves will be above the cap, we only can absorve Rubio if his new extension is close to what Teague makes.

That's a bad scenario, since I dont think Ricky comands much more than the MLE in FA and Teague is signed for twice as much. Not only would be a overpay for Rubio but Teague expiring is the most easy way of clean some space under the tax line next season.

When teams are over the cap, they only have to salary match if the incoming player would increase their team payroll. A team can always do a trade that decreases their salary.

Incidentally, UTA doesn’t have to salary match even though their salary will increase, if the bump still keeps them under the cap (they have more cap space than the difference in salaries).
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#35 » by Killboard » Fri May 24, 2019 2:28 pm

shrink wrote:
Killboard wrote:So, in this trade scenario, and because the wolves will be above the cap, we only can absorve Rubio if his new extension is close to what Teague makes.

When teams are over the cap, they only have to salary match if the incoming player would increase their team payroll. A team can always do a trade that decreases their salary.

Incidentally, UTA doesn’t have to salary match even though their salary will increase, if the bump still keeps them under the cap (they have more cap space than the difference in salaries).

My bad, I never thought in the Jazz being under the cap. Im not an expert but:

The Jazz has guaranteed contracts for $62.1: next season (Gobert, Ingles, Exum, Crowder, Mitchell, Allen & Bradley).
If they want to keep Favors, Korver and Oneal, that goes up to $88.1 for 10 slots. Add the minimum cap holds for the other 5 spots and that sums about 95.5:

To trade for Conley contract acting under the cap, they should be under 32M which is 77M.
To go from 95.5 to 77 they will have to cut Favors, which doesnt make sense, since I think he is valuable.
Even if they do that, they have to extend Rubio for the S&T including him in the cap next season, for which they will have to renounce Korver too.
shrink
RealGM

Post#36 » by shrink » Fri May 24, 2019 2:43 pm

Nice write up. Just to be clear for others reading these posts, the Jazz don’t have to be so far under the cap if they include guaranteed salaries - they just need to make up the difference in cap space.

For example, Conley costs $32.5 mil next season, and if the Jazz wanted to trade raw cap space, they’d obviously need to include the full $32.5. However, if Exum and Crowder were in the deal, that would be $17.5 mil in the deal, and the Jazz would only need $15 mil in cap space to complete the trade.

This is part of the point VCfor3 brings up. Rubio is reaching free agency, and will likely take a market price deal from someone. He could do the Jazz a favor, and say he’ll take the same deal from them, to help facilitate a trade (if he wanted to come to MIN). This new free agent deal is equal, or worse, than simply trading the cap space. Utah may still want to do so, simply to operate as an over-the-cap team this year, and maintain their full MLE ($9.25) rather than the room MLE ($4.75). These exceptions may allow them to add salary over the cap more quickly, and in general, the more payroll you have, the better your team may do in the playoffs if you spend it wisely.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#37 » by LibertyPrime » Sat May 25, 2019 6:17 am

Krapinsky wrote:Rubio might be the answer to getting Wiggins going again.

This is the one thing that makes me think it might be worth doing. Wiggy's best seasons were with Rubio playing PG, after all.
"The last domino falls here!"
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Post#38 » by Calinks » Sat May 25, 2019 6:28 am

I love Ricky but I don't think we can afford to start him. The Jazz want to be rid of him because he cant be relied on to score and that's a problem we have too. If he wanted to be a backup PG or something I'd be all over it but I think we need more fire power there.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#39 » by Krapinsky » Sat May 25, 2019 3:36 pm

Calinks wrote:I love Ricky but I don't think we can afford to start him. The Jazz want to be rid of him because he cant be relied on to score and that's a problem we have too. If he wanted to be a backup PG or something I'd be all over it but I think we need more fire power there.

That problem is magnified for them because of their non-shooting front court. If we had Towns, Saric, Dieng, and say Washington, this wouldn't be as much of an issue.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#40 » by PharmD » Sun May 26, 2019 6:09 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Mattya wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
We don't have the cap space to absorb him.

Are you sure? How much cap space do we have? That doesn't seem right.

With giving the qualifying over to Tyus, I think we are around 14 million available in space listening to SKOR North Wolves show today.

That's wrong. We are already over the cap even if we straight-up renounce Tyus.

Try for yourself: http://www.shamsports.com/capulator

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves