No, Teague is bad but Rubio is worse
39%

Total votes: 28

PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Re: Rubio-Conley-Teague 

Post#81 » by PharmD » Tue Jun 4, 2019 9:17 am

minimus wrote:I would personally try to dump Teague and resign Tyus as first step. Then wait how Ricky situation will develop. We should not absolutely outbid anyone, then if I think about one player who can be a good mentor, good veteran and locker room presence for MLE, I would definitely try to get Ricky.

All we can offer is the MLE and the ability to play for Ryan. If it's a choice between Tyus and Ricky (which, it wouldn't be but hypothetically) I'm taking Ricky every single day.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#82 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 1:54 pm

PharmD wrote:
minimus wrote:I would personally try to dump Teague and resign Tyus as first step. Then wait how Ricky situation will develop. We should not absolutely outbid anyone, then if I think about one player who can be a good mentor, good veteran and locker room presence for MLE, I would definitely try to get Ricky.

All we can offer is the MLE and the ability to play for Ryan. If it's a choice between Tyus and Ricky (which, it wouldn't be but hypothetically) I'm taking Ricky every single day.

I’m taking Ricky over Tyus too, Tyus can’t guard anyone.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#83 » by minimus » Tue Jun 4, 2019 2:01 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tyus can’t guard anyone.

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,963

Post#84 » by Domejandro » Tue Jun 4, 2019 2:39 pm

Tyus Jones is literally a quality defensive Point-Guard, that and his ability to take care of the ball are literally the factors that make him a capable player.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#85 » by Nick K » Tue Jun 4, 2019 2:46 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
PharmD wrote:

I’m taking Ricky over Tyus too, Tyus can’t guard anyone.

Tyus is far better defensively than you give him credit for.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#86 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 3:08 pm

He can get steals but he can’t guard anyone. No strength or speed to keep his man in front of him.

When I was at Target Center and saw Trae Jones a rookie just abuse him from wall to wall, I knew Tyus was not a starter in this league.

I get it, he’s the hometown kid. I’m a live and die born and bred Minnesotan too but I keep it real, Tyus isn’t a starter in this league and he won’t receive a starter quality contract this off season either.

He’s a capable back up if he can find his jumper.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#87 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 4:18 pm

Tyus optimal role is in the Patty Mills Fred Van Fleet back up pg but he needs to be able to hit the open 3 on a consistent basis like those two guys but he hasn’t shown that he can.
minimus
RealGM

Post#88 » by minimus » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:28 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:I keep it real, Tyus isn’t a starter in this league and he won’t receive a starter quality contract this off season either. He’s a capable back up if he can find his jumper.

I remember the days when Kyle Lowry could not hit open 3s. Now he plays in finals and gets paid as starter.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#89 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:15 pm

minimus wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:I keep it real, Tyus isn’t a starter in this league and he won’t receive a starter quality contract this off season either. He’s a capable back up if he can find his jumper.

I remember the days when Kyle Lowry could not hit open 3s. Now he plays in finals and gets paid as starter.

Lowry is a little tank and has strength to defend and finish at the rim.

Are you really comparing Tyus to him? A multiple time all star?
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#90 » by Killboard » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:41 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
minimus wrote:

Lowry is a little tank and has strength to defend and finish at the rim.

Are you really comparing Tyus to him? A multiple time all star?

Tyus is far from a knockdown shooter but he earn his team extra possessions with his steals, charges drawn and overall defensive effort. Also due to low turnovers he adds even more. If learns to shoot from 3 he will be a steal. Also to note:
Lowry is a career .380 3pt shooter from the corner.
Tyus is .370 for his career from there.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,605

Post#91 » by shrink » Tue Jun 4, 2019 11:01 pm

Last year 2017-18, Tyus was #2 among all PG’s in DRPM. He is small, but he has an on-court effect.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#92 » by King Malta » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:15 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:He can get steals but he can’t guard anyone. No strength or speed to keep his man in front of him.

When I was at Target Center and saw Trae Jones a rookie just abuse him from wall to wall, I knew Tyus was not a starter in this league.

I get it, he’s the hometown kid. I’m a live and die born and bred Minnesotan too but I keep it real, Tyus isn’t a starter in this league and he won’t receive a starter quality contract this off season either.

Trae Young (I'm assuming that's who you meant) abused a LOT of starting point guards last season, in just about any other season the guy is a complete lock for rookie of the year.

Tyus has some athletic limitations, it's true, but he's a pretty good team defender and he has really active hands. I'm not saying he's one of the best defensive PGs in the league, but he's easily the best we have on that side of the floor IMO. I don't think he's a starter in this league, but he's a quality bench PG, I wouldn't be paying him big coin but I'd like to keep him around if it's financially feasible.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#93 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:40 am

King Malta wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:He can get steals but he can’t guard anyone. No strength or speed to keep his man in front of him.

Trae Young (I'm assuming that's who you meant) abused a LOT of starting point guards last season, in just about any other season the guy is a complete lock for rookie of the year.

Tyus has some athletic limitations, it's true, but he's a pretty good team defender and he has really active hands. I'm not saying he's one of the best defensive PGs in the league, but he's easily the best we have on that side of the floor IMO. I don't think he's a starter in this league, but he's a quality bench PG, I wouldn't be paying him big coin but I'd like to keep him around if it's financially feasible.
Really, the only intrest I have in Tyus is at near the league minimum. Give him two years to improve as we wait for Gourgi to expire. If he can get more than that best of luck to him. He is just too limited to the point he shouldn't be an injury away from starting and should be paid according to that.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#94 » by Nick K » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:53 am

King Malta wrote:

I agree. My thoughts on Tyus as well. When we drafted him I thought he's be a better shooter and finisher at the basket. I thought he might be a starter. Now I see him ideally coming off the bench and start in a pinch. i'd pay him 5 or 6 mil per and no more.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#95 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:33 am

King Malta wrote:

Thanks for the correction, Trae Young.

As for Tyus, i’m not paying him more than 6 million. He’s a capable back up but if he’s you’re starter; you’re in trouble.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#96 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:40 am

Im not worried about tyus' inabilities to make a shot, Im more worried about his inabilities to attempt a shot.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#97 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:25 am

Ricky just abused Tyus all over the court. He could shoot and pass anytime he wanted to against Tyus. No resistance at all.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#98 » by King Malta » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:29 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
King Malta wrote:

Thanks for the correction, Trae Young.

As for Tyus, i’m not paying him more than 6 million. He’s a capable back up but if he’s you’re starter; you’re in trouble.

I don't disagree, 6 million for me, and he should be the back-up point guard.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#99 » by theGreatRC » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:53 am

Tyus is a legit backup PG & spot starter.

His defense is better than I thought & his offense is a lot worse than I thought.

You're not giving a guy averaging 7/2/5 more than 5 mill per year no matter how good his assist to turnover ratio and steals to foul ratio are

He was underrated based on the lack of attention he got as a legit NBA player + he was making a little over 1 mill a year. The higher he gets paid, the more we'll probably hate him if he's just average next year (Just like Wiggs lol)
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
minimus
RealGM

Post#100 » by minimus » Wed Jun 5, 2019 7:45 am

I guess we can close this thread since first indications are that we are looking for PG like D-Lo Russell not Rubio. Which totally makes sense. While D-Lo is far from perfect as max contract player (turnover prone, mediocre defender) Tyus + D-lo is a solid combo at PG.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves