ImageImageImage

2019 NBA draft part deux

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Re: 2019 NBA draft part deux 

Post#721 » by wesleyt95 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:30 pm

I’m not crazy about NAW ppl try to make him out as a pg but he’s just not... I’m fine with Okogie as our 2 prospect of the future
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#722 » by LibertyPrime » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:43 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goga and NAW or nothing.

:lol: at the picture

Seriously, if we trade down I'd be very happy with a package of Goga and NAW.
"The last domino falls here!"
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,191

Post#723 » by Neeva » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:49 pm

Dick move lol they knew that would happen.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#724 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:04 am

And his name is Goga Bitadze
Not Bitazde lol
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 688

Post#725 » by karch34 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:44 am

Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
wolfen wrote:Interesting mock put out yesterday:

https://in.nba.com/news/nba-draft-2019-updated-mock-draft-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett/1vz0ne6k8hml61u1rkf7d2kst2

Sounds like the writer is convinced that NAWis the pick ("exactly what the timberwolves need")...

11. Timberwolves - Nickeil Alexander-Walker, PG/SG, Virginia Tech
The Timberwolves biggest need in the draft is a point guard and Alexander-Walker checks that box.

He's a true combo guard who can run the point but could also play the 2 alongside Jeff Teague. He's a playmaker first but can score the rock when necessary. Alexander-Walker is fantastic as a pick-and-roll ball handler, which bodes well playing alongside Karl-Anthony Towns and Dario Saric. His ability to shoot should space the floor for Towns and Andrew Wiggins but he can also score at the rim as well, which should open up perimeter looks for Robert Covington.

His long wingspan and defensive IQ pairs well with the T'Wolves' first-round pick from last season, Josh Okogie, giving Minnesota two very solid defenders in the backcourt.

Alexander-Walker is exactly what the Timberwolves need.

Only the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen NAW mocked for that pick, but it's starting to feel like NAW wouldn't be a reach that high...

I get a good vibe on NAW, but picking him at 11 just seems too high. Take a risk trade back and see if we can get him plus another asset.

I'd take him at 11 cause he's plenty good. But..

I would like a trade down idea if I could get a backcourt of NAW and "wait for it".....Ty Jerome!

Yep, Ty Jerome. He will be a very good pro. I see him as Ricky Rubio who can shoot and finish at the basket. Yes, he can finish. He's a high floor and decent ceiling type. He is a player that would fit nicely and he can flat out shoot. He impressed the hell out of me in the tournament. He's a bargain in the 20's. I love that kid.

To be honest I think that would be amazing to come out with both. Always liked NAW and starting to think Jerome is the guy who people wonder why he was selected so late.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#726 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:55 am

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goga and NAW or nothing.

haha. I rarely show empathy for soon to be pros for something like this. but I kinda feel bad for him. All dressed up ready to answer questions about being from over seas etc...and get sat next to Zion.

media members are d*cks, but we all knew that
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#727 » by SmokeyPaw » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:35 am

One thing thing I've come to value highly in prospects is what's called feel or BBIQ. I think of it as the ability to quickly process and react to the flow of play.

When you look at the league's stars you dont find low bbiq players. When you look at the finals, you dont see low bbiq players on the floor. And when you look at the draft the guys from the 2nd round who become stars, all are at least positive in terms of bbiq. Think Jokic, Green.

I put together some observations based on the games I watched and stats on assists and stocks. The stats are helpful but I find watching games to be vital to see what players are doing off the ball.

1. Lists are not comprehensive. I dont list players I havent watched. So if they're not listed I dont know. I didnt watch them ( Sekou, Garland) or was unsure how to rate them (Barret , Reddish)
2. Lists are not authoritative. Just my view from watching games and checking passing and stock stats. Your mileage may differ. Maybe Rui or Little figures it out.
3. Lists are not ranked. Feel surer about certain players, which in some cases may be a result of seeing more of their games.

Positive BBIQ. This is not in rank order. Some players' ability to process the floor are a bit more obvious. A side note is that these players are generally the most fun to watch.

0. Williamson. Definite plus. Terrific reads on both O and D.
1. Grant Williams. Definte plus. Excellent passer and off ball defender, elite screen setter. Be really interesting to see who buys into his skill set. Really expect him to shoot 3s well.
2. Ty Jerome. Definite plus. Someone said 3g athletically but 5g mentally. Often a step faster than you think because of that. Fun to watch
3. Brandon Clarke. Definite plus. Terrific defensive instincts, anticipation. Plus passer on the move.
4. Okeke. Definite plus. Plus passer and plus off the ball defender. May need to play the 4 due to athleticism.
5. Jontay Porter. Definite plus. Not sure if he'll be drafted due to knees.
6. NAW. Positive. Saw less of him (half game) than the others. But plus passer and good off the ball D. Can dribble, pass, shoot and defend. Maybe not a star but help you win games.
7. Claxton. Positive. Saw only one game plus one of the combine scrimmages. Often used as the defacto pg. Not great at it but, his coaches trusted him more than their guards. Saw a real nice on the move pass. Real defensive upside.
8. Coby White. Positive. Had issues early in year with defense and turnovers. By March had fixed both problems. Coaches trusted him to run the offense (they dont call out plays, pg reads the defense) and call traps on D. Did a nice job defensively on deciding when to double down and recovered well. Some nice passes particularly in pnr but generally not advanced. Assist/TO ratio much better in March.
9. Culver. Definite plus on both ends
10.PJ Washington. Positive , perhaps better than that. Plus passer on the move, generates defensive events. Seems lower than Williams or Clarke but not sure how big the separation is. Should be good.

Do they have bad BBIQ? Well there arent any real signs of good BBIQ. Generally poor passers who are bad off the ball defensively. Maybe they'll figure it out, but they are behind their peers at this point.

1. Kabengele. Non-passer. Some blocks but not impressive defensively.
2. Little. Poor passer. Poor off ball defender, missed rotations. Yes he's young and NC can be complicated, but Coby figured it out.
3. Rui. Ok on ball at times but a lot of defensive miscues. Some ok passes but misses some obvious passes. Right now he's got issues, but he did improve significantly from previous year.
4. KPJ. Weak passer, does he not see it or is he selfish? Completely lost off the ball on both offense and defense in the one game I watched. Shot selection? Is disinterested the same as bad bbiq?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,889

Post#728 » by Klomp » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:59 am

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:media members are d*cks, but we all knew that

I beg your pardon?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#729 » by LibertyPrime » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:26 am

I don't know if anyone posted this yet.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-top-50-nba-draft-prospects-according-to-our-carmelo-projections/

Fuel for thought. Although the NBA comparisons for Clarke are David Lee and Nick Collison, which is odd.
"The last domino falls here!"
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#730 » by SmokeyPaw » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:23 am

LibertyPrime wrote:I don't know if anyone posted this yet.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-top-50-nba-draft-prospects-according-to-our-carmelo-projections/

Fuel for thought. Although the NBA comparisons for Clarke are David Lee and Nick Collison, which is odd.

Yea whether you like Clarke or not they are really bad comparisons.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,719

Post#731 » by minimus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:12 am

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goga and NAW or nothing.

haha. I rarely show empathy for soon to be pros for something like this. but I kinda feel bad for him. All dressed up ready to answer questions about being from over seas etc...and get sat next to Zion.

media members are d*cks, but we all knew that

He need to remember the names of all these journalists. When he win championship he will read all these names aloud like Dray Green did.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,719

Post#732 » by minimus » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:59 pm

Before draft thread turned into Brandon Clarke thread, I was tried to convince myself that should be out top choice. I could not. :banghead:

wesleyt95 wrote:I’m not crazy about NAW ppl try to make him out as a pg but he’s just not... I’m fine with Okogie as our 2 prospect of the future

Foye wrote:I cringe already when I see how NAW shoots the basketball.

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goga and NAW or nothing.

minimus wrote:
Killboard wrote:As day passes Im confident Nickeil Alexander Walker would be my pick. This guy could make the rotation with really solid NBA skills and excel off KAT.

Not to mentioned that we have dont have any stability at PG. And from our PG only one player can have positive impact if we want to develop other players - Tyus. So at least for one year there will not be a full time starting PG, but once Teague's contract expires, we will have a void at PG. So NAW fits this timeline perfectly.
alabamawolf
Senior
And1: 321

Post#733 » by alabamawolf » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:19 pm

A lot of us liked NAW. He’ll be a terrific player in NO
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#734 » by jpatrick » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:23 pm

alabamawolf wrote:A lot of us liked NAW. He’ll be a terrific player in NO

And NAW and Hayes each didn’t officially become Pelicans until July 6th, so they were able to crush it without a Summer League minicamp. Rookies doing well in SL only helps build excitement for the season. I’m looking at you Mr. Culver.
alabamawolf
Senior
And1: 321

Post#735 » by alabamawolf » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:35 pm

jpatrick wrote:

And NAW and Hayes each didn’t officially become Pelicans until July 6th, so they were able to crush it without a Summer League minicamp. Rookies doing well in SL only helps build excitement for the season. I’m looking at you Mr. Culver.

Culver not playing in SL is pretty clearly a decision coming from management. You should look at them instead
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#736 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:41 pm

jpatrick wrote:

And Zion is sitting out because he's hurt already....sure played that one right.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#737 » by Killboard » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:08 pm

alabamawolf wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

Culver not playing in SL is pretty clearly a decision coming from management. You should look at them instead

And its pretty clear to me this is to preserve his (and Nowell) value and health in case of be included in a trade.

Also, while doing it well in Summer League is obviously preferable, doesnt really mean nothing. In the other hand doing it bad is a cause of concern.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#738 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:15 pm

Killboard wrote:
alabamawolf wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

And its pretty clear to me this is to preserve his (and Nowell) value and health in case of be included in a trade.

Also, while doing it well in Summer League is obviously preferable, doesnt really mean nothing. In the other hand doing it bad is a cause of concern.

So if the organization views them as key pieces of the team's future, they wouldn't care about preserving their health?

jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#739 » by jpatrick » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:21 pm

I get the health argument, but you don’t think these guys are continually playing? Especially an apparent basketball junkie like Culver. Including 5-on-5 runs?
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#740 » by Killboard » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:27 pm

Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:
alabamawolf wrote:Culver not playing in SL is pretty clearly a decision coming from management. You should look at them instead

So if the organization views them as key pieces of the team's future, they wouldn't care about preserving their health?

One thing is if they have some kind of health concern which would be understandable but isn't reported. Other thing would be preserve him even without having concerns, which shouldn't be understandable IMO. You can't control when freaky accidents happens. They are preserving them on practice too?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves