ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Two)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1561 » by Neeva » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:36 am

I’d do that only if Culver works out at PG and the pick is not unprotected not sure Booker makes the wolves a playoff team:/
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#1562 » by minimus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:01 am

Neeva wrote:I’d do that only if Culver works out at PG and the pick is unprotected not sure Booker makes the wolves a playoff team:/

Booker spent last season playing at PG, results are mixed. It was similar to LaVine experience. I think he can definitely share ballhandler duties with Culver, or even be paired with defensive minded PG like Pat Beverly (Wallace?). I think the main concern should be Booker defense as he is close to awfull defender right now. Maybe we can mitigate this, and he can follow СJ McCollum/Dame/Harden/Beal path and be at least average defender.

KAT and Booker can form center of gravity in offense and open things up for others. In terms of shooting and scoring they might be an elite combo.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1563 » by Jedzz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 am

minimus wrote:I think the main concern should be Booker defense as he is close to awfull defender right now. Maybe we can mitigate this, and he can follow СJ McCollum/Dame/Harden/Beal path and be at least average defender.

Or, the Wolves could stop adding players that stink at or won't play defense. Certainly stop maxing players like this.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,969

Post#1564 » by shrink » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:11 pm

minimus wrote:Booker is another KAT buddy. Would you do Wiggins, Okogie, FRP for Booker on 5yrs contracts? I would do it.

KAT/Bell/Dieng
Vonleh/Layman/KBD
RoCo/KBD/Layman
Booker/Culver/Nowell
Culver/Teague/Wallace

Booker is interesting. He just signed a five year deal, so he has no leverage to request a trade. He’s also worth more to PHX than other teams, because he is their star right now, so he sells tickets as their best player. If he was traded elsewhere, he would not have either quality, but PHX wouldn’t give that up without being compensated for it. If PHX tried a rebuild around Ayton (21) and Bridges (22), Booker is also 22, so it’s difficult to see what package it would take.

Here, it would take value simply to get off Wiggins contract. Let’s say it’s only one 1st, even though it could make that pick non-lottery. For value, I just can’t see the Suns trading Booker for Okogie, and maybe not even Culver, in this draft with only two major prospects.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1565 » by minimus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:44 pm

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:Booker is another KAT buddy. Would you do Wiggins, Okogie, FRP for Booker on 5yrs contracts? I would do it.

KAT/Bell/Dieng
Vonleh/Layman/KBD
RoCo/KBD/Layman
Booker/Culver/Nowell
Culver/Teague/Wallace

Booker is interesting. He just signed a five year deal, so he has no leverage to request a trade. He’s also worth more to PHX than other teams, because he is their star right now, so he sells tickets as their best player. If he was traded elsewhere, he would not have either quality, but PHX wouldn’t give that up without being compensated for it. If PHX tried a rebuild around Ayton (21) and Bridges (22), Booker is also 22, so it’s difficult to see what package it would take.

Here, it would take value simply to get off Wiggins contract. Let’s say it’s only one 1st, even though it could make that pick non-lottery. For value, I just can’t see the Suns trading Booker for Okogie, and maybe not even Culver, in this draft with only two major prospects.

i believe that it is realistic to hide a bad defender using good defensive scheme, while Booker can make offense work with other three players being just average in offense.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#1566 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:29 am

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Booker is another KAT buddy. Would you do Wiggins, Okogie, FRP for Booker on 5yrs contracts? I would do it.

KAT/Bell/Dieng
Vonleh/Layman/KBD
RoCo/KBD/Layman
Booker/Culver/Nowell
Culver/Teague/Wallace

Yes I would do that.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1567 » by minimus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:34 am

KGdaBom wrote:

KAT/Bell/Dieng
Vonleh/Layman/KBD
RoCo/KBD/Layman
Booker/Culver/Nowell
Culver/Teague/Wallace

Yes I would do that.

I think getting an all star level wing is a must in our situation. I believe that first phase of Rosas work is to gather as much as possible assets on cheap contracts. The second phase is trade for a star. This or next season it should happen via trade. Unless Culver/Wiggins/Nowell becomes a legit star next two seasons. Teague and Dieng contracts as expiring salary fillers and cheap assets. Okogie, KBD, Layman, Nowell, Reid, Culver all might be traded in right situation.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,039

Post#1568 » by shangrila » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:13 am

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

KAT/Bell/Dieng
Vonleh/Layman/KBD
RoCo/KBD/Layman
Booker/Culver/Nowell
Culver/Teague/Wallace

Yes I would do that.

I think getting an all star level wing is a must in our situation. I believe that first phase of Rosas work is to gather as much as possible assets on cheap contracts. The second phase is trade for a star. This or next season it should happen via trade. Unless Culver/Wiggins/Nowell becomes a legit star next two seasons. Teague and Dieng contracts as expiring salary fillers and cheap assets. Okogie, KBD, Layman, Nowell, Reid, Culver all might be traded in right situation.

It would cost us Culver at absolute minimum. He's their Towns, you're not getting him for scraps.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#1569 » by theGreatRC » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:26 am

shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Yes I would do that.

It would cost us Culver at absolute minimum. He's their Towns, you're not getting him for scraps.

I'd give up anyone not named KAT for another young start like Booker/DLO/Beal/guys who fit in that young star category.

The problem is our talent outside of KAT is not impressive. It'd probably take Culver + Josh + a pick minimum which you do 10/10 times
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#1570 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:07 am

theGreatRC wrote:
shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:

I'd give up anyone not named KAT for another young start like Booker/DLO/Beal/guys who fit in that young star category.

The problem is our talent outside of KAT is not impressive. It'd probably take Culver + Josh + a pick minimum which you do 10/10 times

Beal yes, but i think booker and dlo are overrated.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1571 » by minimus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:29 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:
shangrila wrote:It would cost us Culver at absolute minimum. He's their Towns, you're not getting him for scraps.

Beal yes, but i think booker and dlo are overrated.

Beal is also 4yrs older than Dlo and Booker. He is definetely more developed, more polished, more experienced, but I think he is kind of risen his game lately, but at his 4th years he was on comparable level as Dlo and Booker.

Id say that Beal and Jrue are top tier FA who fit perfectly as second star with KAT. Dlo and Booker are second tier stars. Also to consider that their contracts are longer, while both Booker and Dlo are younger.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1572 » by minimus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:38 pm

The more I think about our current roster, more I think that it is constructed for DLo trade. Addition of Russell will allow us to use defensive minded players in our roster. I do think that same Ty Wallace could make impact as defensive minded wing in our rotation. Wallace, Okogie, Bell, Vonleh, Culver, KBD, Graham can all get minutes if Russell and KAT take care of our scoring and creating for others.

I might overlook Tyrone Wallace signing but he has high potential as a versatile defender at PG/SG/SF. Lack of size at PG has been an issue last season. Russell/Wallace/Nowell is a good solution to this problem. No more Teague-Rose, Rose-Tyus, Teague-Tyus struggles.

Unless GSW ask too much something like Teague, RoCo, FRP should be our initial offer. Steep price but 3.5yrs of team control.

KAT/Vonleh/Dieng + Reid
Bell/Layman/KBD
Layman/KBD/Graham + Martin
Wiggins/Culver/Okogie + Nowell
Russell/Wallace/Napier + McLaughlin
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#1573 » by Macwolf527 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 pm

minimus wrote:The more I think about our current roster, more I think that it is constructed for DLo trade. Addition of Russell will allow us to use defensive minded players in our roster. I do think that same Ty Wallace could make impact as defensive minded wing in our rotation. Wallace, Okogie, Bell, Vonleh, Culver, KBD, Graham can all get minutes if Russell and KAT take care of our scoring and creating for others.

I might overlook Tyrone Wallace signing but he has high potential as a versatile defender at PG/SG/SF. Lack of size at PG has been an issue last season. Russell/Wallace/Nowell is a good solution to this problem. No more Teague-Rose, Rose-Tyus, Teague-Tyus struggles.

Unless GSW ask too much something like Teague, RoCo, FRP should be our initial offer. Steep price but 3.5yrs of team control.

KAT/Vonleh/Dieng + Reid
Bell/Layman/KBD

That's been my thought from the time Russell was signed by Golden State. No one believes that stuff the Warrior's brass was putting forth about keeping Russell. Especially now that Draymond has been signed to an extension along with Thompson. They're at $119m with their top 4 players and it's only going to rise with each passing year. And defensively, that line-up would get torched on the perimeter. I believe your offer listed above is the starting point for a deal, but I anticipate the Wolves will try to do some other things with Teague and Dieng before a deal with GSW goes down. The only assets I will sign off on at this point to be part of the deal is Covington and a future first round pick, but I'm not altogether sure the pick will be ours, which is where moving Teague and Dieng could come into play. A move to acquire additional assets for them seems reasonable since they don't really fit out timeline. You've had one big man go down yesterday with the Cousin's injury. If a couple more post players on playoff bound teams bite the bullet, a market could develop for Gorgui around the league.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1574 » by minimus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Macwolf527 wrote:
minimus wrote:The more I think about our current roster, more I think that it is constructed for DLo trade. Addition of Russell will allow us to use defensive minded players in our roster. I do think that same Ty Wallace could make impact as defensive minded wing in our rotation. Wallace, Okogie, Bell, Vonleh, Culver, KBD, Graham can all get minutes if Russell and KAT take care of our scoring and creating for others.

KAT/Vonleh/Dieng + Reid
Bell/Layman/KBD

That's been my thought from the time Russell was signed by Golden State. No one believes that stuff the Warrior's brass was putting forth about keeping Russell. Especially now that Draymond has been signed to an extension along with Thompson. They're at $119m with just those 4 players. I believe your offer listed above is the starting point for a deal, but I anticipate the Wolves will try to do some other things with Teague and Dieng before a deal with GSW goes down. The only assets I will sign off on at this point to be part of the deal is Covington and a future first round pick, but I'm not altogether sure the pick will be ours, which is where moving Teague and Dieng could come into play. A move to acquire additional assets for them seems reasonable since they don't really fit out timeline. You've had one big man go down yesterday with the Cousin's injury. If a couple more post players on playoff bound teams bite the bullet, a market could develop for Gorgui around the league.

Yes, we are like a loaded gun now. Technically Gupta can execute even complex trade, Rosas has good reputation around league and we have multiple cheap assest to operate: Bell, Vonleh, Layman, KBD, Okogie, Graham, Napier, Culver, Nowell, Reid + picks. I doubt that there might be a market for Dieng, but I think that there are some GMs are not as smart as Rosas. So there is always hope.
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#1575 » by Macwolf527 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:11 pm

minimus wrote:
Macwolf527 wrote:

KAT/Vonleh/Dieng + Reid
Bell/Layman/KBD

That's been my thought from the time Russell was signed by Golden State. No one believes that stuff the Warrior's brass was putting forth about keeping Russell. Especially now that Draymond has been signed to an extension along with Thompson. They're at $119m with just those 4 players. I believe your offer listed above is the starting point for a deal, but I anticipate the Wolves will try to do some other things with Teague and Dieng before a deal with GSW goes down. The only assets I will sign off on at this point to be part of the deal is Covington and a future first round pick, but I'm not altogether sure the pick will be ours, which is where moving Teague and Dieng could come into play. A move to acquire additional assets for them seems reasonable since they don't really fit out timeline. You've had one big man go down yesterday with the Cousin's injury. If a couple more post players on playoff bound teams bite the bullet, a market could develop for Gorgui around the league.

Yes, we are like a loaded gun now. Technically Gupta can execute even complex trade, Rosas has good reputation around league and we have multiple cheap assest to operate: Bell, Vonleh, Layman, KBD, Okogie, Graham, Napier, Culver, Nowell, Reid + picks. I doubt that there might be a market for Dieng, but I think that there are some GMs are not as smart as Rosas. So there is always hope.

Solely on visual performance, I would think this too, but Dieng's PER by year is not exactly terrible. He was at 18.17 in limited minutes last year. He's not the type of player that will move the needle, but he won't hurt you, and in cases of unexpected injuries, that's what teams are looking for to save their playoff hopes. We have to remember that with every passing moment, he's one step closer to being an expiring deal. He's not going to poison your locker room and he's a consistent shooter from 12-15 feet, so he will not clog the lane. He has value on a veteran team.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1576 » by minimus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Macwolf527 wrote:Solely on visual performance, I would think this too, but Dieng's PER by year is not exactly terrible. He was at 18.17 in limited minutes last year. He's not the type of player that will move the needle, but he won't hurt you, and in cases of unexpected injuries, that's what teams are looking for to save their playoff hopes. We have to remember that with every passing moment, he's one step closer to being an expiring deal. He's not going to poison your locker room and he's a consistent shooter from 12-15 feet, so he will not clog the lane. He has value on a veteran team.

I see this situation as simple math: more teams plays "one big - three wings - one ballhandler" lineup. Based on this math in this league it should be easier to trade a wing than a bigman. If Wiggins can show at least consistent aggressiviness in scoring the ball like he did against OKC last season (29/7/4 on 61% TS and 50% from 3) and like he always does against LeBron (27/2.5/2/1.5 on 55/48/78 in 9 games) there always be a team who might want to get a help on wings. Currently there numbers of team that could use AW scoring from wing position: DET, ORL, CHA, CLE. NYK, MEM.

That is why I dont see us trading Dieng this year, maybe next year. Our main priority is to make Wiggins at least a neutral player/asset.
minimus
RealGM

Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1577 » by minimus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:23 pm

https://youtu.be/AQr54Toq5eA

If Russell can learn some of these tricks in GSW he will reach a new level as defender
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,969

Post#1578 » by shrink » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:08 pm

minimus wrote:https://youtu.be/AQr54Toq5eA

If Russell can learn some of these tricks in GSW he will reach a new level as defender

Level 1?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#1579 » by K4P » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:36 am

I personally don't see the value in trading Robert Covington for D'angelo Russell. Russell is a fine player but he's being overrated beyond belief. There is no need to get too attached to a single player.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#1580 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:25 am

KAT/Vonleh/Dieng + Reid
Bell/Layman/KBD

Teague and RoCo should be more than enough. We don't need to sweeten it. They will be a much better team with RoCo and Teague than they are with Russell. Then Teague's contract expires and they are back in the free agent Market.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves