ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Two)

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Jedzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,466
And1: 867
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1541 » by Jedzz » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:47 pm

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
I say картошка, not potato.

Was it Glen who gave these awful/bad contracts to Hill, Aldrich, Shabazz, Dieng, Teague, Gibson?


I'll ask Shved if he'll explain. He had a stint in Houston so he might be back here at some point.


Was it Glen who gave these awful/bad contracts to Hill, Aldrich, Shabazz, Dieng, Teague, Gibson?


Are you a broken record now? Since when is Gibson added? He was a good player we would not have made it to the playoffs without. Plus it wasn't a longterm deal. Look at all these names you are throwing in now.

Was it Thibs fault that we traded Love for Wiggins? DId he have a single thing to do with that decision? Glen did.
These are my opinions.
User avatar
minimus
Head Coach
Posts: 6,132
And1: 1,365
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1542 » by minimus » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:57 pm

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
I'll ask Shved if he'll explain. He had a stint in Houston so he might be back here at some point.


Was it Glen who gave these awful/bad contracts to Hill, Aldrich, Shabazz, Dieng, Teague, Gibson?


Are you a broken record now? Since when is Gibson added? He was a good player we would not have made it to the playoffs without. Plus it wasn't a longterm deal. Look at all these names you are throwing in now.

Was it Thibs fault that we traded Love for Wiggins? DId he have a single thing to do with that decision? Glen did.


How Love for Wiggins trade was related to these contracts? You seems to confusing POBO responsibility and owner role.

P.S. Gibson contract was overpaid. Especially considering his 2nd year decline.
Jedzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,466
And1: 867
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1543 » by Jedzz » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:40 am

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:\
Was it Thibs fault that we traded Love for Wiggins? DId he have a single thing to do with that decision? Glen did.


How Love for Wiggins trade was related to these contracts? You seems to confusing POBO responsibility and owner role.

P.S. Gibson contract was overpaid. Especially considering his 2nd year decline.


I'm not confusing any roles. Glen does that. You're just purposely overlooking it so you can blame the guy no longer here and it allows your mind to keep supporting the team and people left. It will come back around and slap us in the face again, we'll fire someone else and you can blame that guy next time. It's happened a few times already if you are keeping track.

You ask how the Love for Wiggins trade relates to these contracts? First I have to ask, which contracts are you referring to now? But second, I will and have tied the Wiggins trade mastered by Flip and Glen to all future deals from that point on. Love was the team's best player and it was a massively big deal to trade him for an unknown player that had nothing but a fake #1 overall draft title to his name. Glen and the team mustered everything they had over the next couple years to market the living daylights out of Wiggins, and later the Wiggins/Towns duo. The team itself sunk every waking bit of 34-39 starting minutes to Wiggins over the next four years. Then Glen decided it was fine to sign him to a MAX. Yes, those are all reasons why Glen might feel compelled to demand positive return if forced to trade him, or to demand that no one trades him. These are reasons Glen would be more tied to Wiggins than Thibs would have been.

If none of that works for you, maybe it's because you don't understand everything.
These are my opinions.
old school 34
Freshman
Posts: 87
And1: 38
Joined: Jun 14, 2018
         

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1544 » by old school 34 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:34 am

Domejandro wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Neutral value to other GMs, but what matters in the end is how Rosas values him. And Rosas said over and over that you couldn't go on the market and find someone of Wiggins caliber easily. To me, that says he values him a good amount. He wasn't just going to sell Wiggins for neutral value, no matter how much fans whine about him.


That may have been the case. Glen might also be on him about this too, as he might have been with Thibs, demanding that if he goes that something positive comes back. Aloof to what all we've been watching him be in games so far.

The Wiggins, KAT, Dlo experiment might have been wonderful, or might have been a .500 average eyeroll, and also might have went so wrong that nobody would remember Kahn's name anymore.

I get people have been wrongfully scapegoating Glen Taylor for years now, but if Glen actually was controlling the franchise, Tyus Jones would still be in Minnesota
And Rosas would have left us & went back to Hou...like he did to Dallas.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
old school 34
Freshman
Posts: 87
And1: 38
Joined: Jun 14, 2018
         

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1545 » by old school 34 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:52 am

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
What do you know about their relationship that I don't? Are they related? 4 years wasn't enough? His numbers were better than Napiers. But Glen's gift to Wiggins makes it hard to pay everyone now. If they weren't ever going to let him start here maybe letting him go was an act of love.


Do you mean Thibs gift to Wiggins, Dieng, Teague, Aldrich?


I say potato, u say potahto. Neither of us will ever know who exactly wanted what. But Glen is the one who had the longest time connection to Wiggins, having been part of the trade decision for Love/Wiggins, part of the team generating buzz on him for years to drum up sales and team value based on that decision. He's the one that would feel some kind of need for a certain value in return before letting him go. Thibs wouldn't have had any of those built up ties. Glen also personally came forward saying it was a decision he could make once Wiggins agreed to sit down with him to discuss. We can't know if Thibs was pushing for it, or if it was Glen's decision rolling down hill. We just can't know. But to excuse the man who proves he's part of big decisions on player contracts and movements, for another example speaking directly to other GMs telling them Butler was available and over-ruling what Thibs and Layden were publicly saying at the time, ...I think to excuse him would be absolutely incorrect at minimum, minimus. Wouldn't you agree?

We can continue beyond Thibs to assume or see how the new Pobo Rosas was possibly coerced at minimum to keep Sounders as an option and to see all the other options for candidates chosen as guys with roughly the same or less experience and young age. Which really had to immensely help the young incumbent interim coach remain. Be honest, when no one with longer head coaching experience is brought in at all, someone had a hand in that. We can't know, but I can imagine a conversation where Rosas is asked to give Sounders a fair chance at the role. What would have been more helpful or fair than removing anyone with substantially more experience? Trying to judge him against someone with years of experience, or even playoff experience would have been a difficult hurdle. They didn't just choose to keep him over someone like that, they removed the possibility of it. What Pobo does that for a half year first time ever interim? It was Glen's law my man. Find us evidence to the contrary that would help it makes sense otherwise.
I don't share quite the same viewpoint as you about GT being all menacing. I think most owners have a certain amount of knowledge/influence on their organization (they have that right)....I feel what gets GT in trouble...is he's to open with sharing more of that stuff with the media making him more involved than really is?

Him getting involved in the JB/Thibs mess....what other choice did he have....that had become such a cluster....want to fault him for anything there IMO...was letting it progress as long as it did.

RS's hire...to me is similar to Twins/Falvey situation....go to a much more modern operating model....not something you hire an experienced retread on....did he still get the right guy...time will tell, but going the direction that Rosas wants to go & still having 2 more years of Thib's salary....makes complete sense on who they considered....not some conspiracy theory on a Saunders mandate for me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
minimus
Head Coach
Posts: 6,132
And1: 1,365
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1546 » by minimus » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:48 am

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:\
Was it Thibs fault that we traded Love for Wiggins? DId he have a single thing to do with that decision? Glen did.


How Love for Wiggins trade was related to these contracts? You seems to confusing POBO responsibility and owner role.

P.S. Gibson contract was overpaid. Especially considering his 2nd year decline.


I'm not confusing any roles. Glen does that.


Thanks, it clears up everything.
Jedzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,466
And1: 867
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1547 » by Jedzz » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:21 am

old school 34 wrote:
RS's hire...to me is similar to Twins/Falvey situation....go to a much more modern operating model....not something you hire an experienced retread on....did he still get the right guy...time will tell, but going the direction that Rosas wants to go & still having 2 more years of Thib's salary....makes complete sense on who they considered....not some conspiracy theory on a Saunders mandate for me.


Why should Rosas care about still having 2 more years of Thib's salary to pay? He's President of Basketball Operations, not the CFO or a partner with shares. That matters to Glen and his partners, sure. It can be communicated to Rosas that it's an issue. In that way it's a directive that changes Rosas options. That's not a conspiracy theory. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Money doesn't have to be the reason though. Plenty of other reasons also exist. We've gone over many of them.
These are my opinions.
Norseman79
Junior
Posts: 368
And1: 77
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1548 » by Norseman79 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:52 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:I think part of what we are actually going to see this Fall is competition for playing time and positions. This is a great thing as it is how you create a good culture. Just looking at the potential lineups and depth chart is pretty crazy as we have a ton of different ways to go. I am not saying its all good or bad, just saying it will be fun to watch. A thought that has kept coming back to me is that changing/challenging the norm was a point that was made early on, 4 wings and a center would challenge the norm.

Culver, Wiggins, Roco, Bell, and Towns as an example...4 players who could easily switch on defense.

If you really want to boost the defense put Okogie in place of Wiggins. Seriously though Teague is probably our 3rd best player. He will be in the starting lineup.


Yeah, just as an example. I am not an Okoge hater, but I also see him as a great 6th/7th man at this time.
BNM
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,423
And1: 1,550
Joined: Jun 28, 2016

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1549 » by BNM » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:32 pm

shrink wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Monte morris is the youngish back up pg id go after.

Could DEN put together a package that would be worth giving up three cheap years of Covington? RoCo is exactly what they need.

I think an offer needs to begin with Morris and Porter Jr.


POR fan here, RoCo is also EXACTLY what the Blazers need. What's the feeling in MIN, will he be available at the trade deadline? After reading a few threads here, he seems well liked and highly thought of. He's also on a very team friendly deal, for a player of his caliber.

He is, however 5 years older than KAT and 4.5 years older than Wiggins. At some point, will the Timberwolves look to possibly movie him for an expiring contract, young player(s) and draft pick(s)?

For POR, matching salaries might be problematic. They have a couple huge expiring contracts (Whiteside at $27 million and Bazermore at $19.2 million). Most of the other guys they would look to trade are making around $2 million, give, or take. Rodney Hood is on a very team friendly contract ($5.7 million this year and player option at $6 million next year), but at almost 27 doesn't fit in timeline wise with a rebuilding effort. However, he could be used to match salaries after 12/15 with the knowledge he'd probably opt out of his contract next year, effectively becoming an expiring contract.

In terms of young guys, Collins and Hardaway are POR's two best young prospects. They moved several veteran players this summer to make room for expanded roles for both, so I doubt if either are on the block (unless as part of a package for a true superstar). POR also has Gary Trent Jr. (20) and Nassir Little (19) both locked up on cheap rookie scale deals. Little is very raw, but an insane athlete with great length and at only 19, he has the potential to be a RoCo type 3 and D player, possibly more. He just doesn't fit POR's win now timeline.

POR also owns all of their future 1st round picks, and with Damian Lillard and C.J. MCCollum entering their primes is firmly in win now territory. So, those draft picks would be available for a player (like Covington) that matches their timeline.

Any possible packages you see that could get RoCo to POR. Any contracts you want to dump? Well, I guess Wiggins, but with POR already committing big bucks to Lillard and McCollum, I doubt that is going to happen. What about Dieng?

If Nurk is back and looking halfway decent by the trade deadline, Whiteside for Dieng and Covington matches salary-wise. POR could even include one, or both of Little and/or Trent Jr. and the salaries still work. Plus, they could throw in a 1st round pick. That gets them out of the final year ($17 .2 million) of Dieng's contract, two very young, very cheap players and a 1st round pick.

Thoughts?
KGdaBom
Head Coach
Posts: 7,071
And1: 1,468
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1550 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:01 pm

BNM wrote:
shrink wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Monte morris is the youngish back up pg id go after.

Could DEN put together a package that would be worth giving up three cheap years of Covington? RoCo is exactly what they need.

I think an offer needs to begin with Morris and Porter Jr.


POR fan here, RoCo is also EXACTLY what the Blazers need. What's the feeling in MIN, will he be available at the trade deadline? After reading a few threads here, he seems well liked and highly thought of. He's also on a very team friendly deal, for a player of his caliber.

He is, however 5 years older than KAT and 4.5 years older than Wiggins. At some point, will the Timberwolves look to possibly movie him for an expiring contract, young player(s) and draft pick(s)?

For POR, matching salaries might be problematic. They have a couple huge expiring contracts (Whiteside at $27 million and Bazermore at $19.2 million). Most of the other guys they would look to trade are making around $2 million, give, or take. Rodney Hood is on a very team friendly contract ($5.7 million this year and player option at $6 million next year), but at almost 27 doesn't fit in timeline wise with a rebuilding effort. However, he could be used to match salaries after 12/15 with the knowledge he'd probably opt out of his contract next year, effectively becoming an expiring contract.

In terms of young guys, Collins and Hardaway are POR's two best young prospects. They moved several veteran players this summer to make room for expanded roles for both, so I doubt if either are on the block (unless as part of a package for a true superstar). POR also has Gary Trent Jr. (20) and Nassir Little (19) both locked up on cheap rookie scale deals. Little is very raw, but an insane athlete with great length and at only 19, he has the potential to be a RoCo type 3 and D player, possibly more. He just doesn't fit POR's win now timeline.

POR also owns all of their future 1st round picks, and with Damian Lillard and C.J. MCCollum entering their primes is firmly in win now territory. So, those draft picks would be available for a player (like Covington) that matches their timeline.

Any possible packages you see that could get RoCo to POR. Any contracts you want to dump? Well, I guess Wiggins, but with POR already committing big bucks to Lillard and McCollum, I doubt that is going to happen. What about Dieng?

If Nurk is back and looking halfway decent by the trade deadline, Whiteside for Dieng and Covington matches salary-wise. POR could even include one, or both of Little and/or Trent Jr. and the salaries still work. Plus, they could throw in a 1st round pick. That gets them out of the final year ($17 .2 million) of Dieng's contract, two very young, very cheap players and a 1st round pick.

Thoughts?

I don't think there is a team in the NBA that wouldn't be Thrilled to get RoCo. I wonder if we could get McCollum, for RoCo and Dieng to salary match. Then you could move Simons up to replace McCollum. If not then Simons could be part of the deal. Perhaps Simons, somebody to match salary and 2 FRPs.
BNM
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,423
And1: 1,550
Joined: Jun 28, 2016

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1551 » by BNM » Fri Aug 9, 2019 7:26 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
BNM wrote:
shrink wrote:Could DEN put together a package that would be worth giving up three cheap years of Covington? RoCo is exactly what they need.

I think an offer needs to begin with Morris and Porter Jr.


POR fan here, RoCo is also EXACTLY what the Blazers need. What's the feeling in MIN, will he be available at the trade deadline? After reading a few threads here, he seems well liked and highly thought of. He's also on a very team friendly deal, for a player of his caliber.

He is, however 5 years older than KAT and 4.5 years older than Wiggins. At some point, will the Timberwolves look to possibly movie him for an expiring contract, young player(s) and draft pick(s)?

For POR, matching salaries might be problematic. They have a couple huge expiring contracts (Whiteside at $27 million and Bazermore at $19.2 million). Most of the other guys they would look to trade are making around $2 million, give, or take. Rodney Hood is on a very team friendly contract ($5.7 million this year and player option at $6 million next year), but at almost 27 doesn't fit in timeline wise with a rebuilding effort. However, he could be used to match salaries after 12/15 with the knowledge he'd probably opt out of his contract next year, effectively becoming an expiring contract.

In terms of young guys, Collins and Hardaway are POR's two best young prospects. They moved several veteran players this summer to make room for expanded roles for both, so I doubt if either are on the block (unless as part of a package for a true superstar). POR also has Gary Trent Jr. (20) and Nassir Little (19) both locked up on cheap rookie scale deals. Little is very raw, but an insane athlete with great length and at only 19, he has the potential to be a RoCo type 3 and D player, possibly more. He just doesn't fit POR's win now timeline.

POR also owns all of their future 1st round picks, and with Damian Lillard and C.J. MCCollum entering their primes is firmly in win now territory. So, those draft picks would be available for a player (like Covington) that matches their timeline.

Any possible packages you see that could get RoCo to POR. Any contracts you want to dump? Well, I guess Wiggins, but with POR already committing big bucks to Lillard and McCollum, I doubt that is going to happen. What about Dieng?

If Nurk is back and looking halfway decent by the trade deadline, Whiteside for Dieng and Covington matches salary-wise. POR could even include one, or both of Little and/or Trent Jr. and the salaries still work. Plus, they could throw in a 1st round pick. That gets them out of the final year ($17 .2 million) of Dieng's contract, two very young, very cheap players and a 1st round pick.

Thoughts?

I don't think there is a team in the NBA that wouldn't be Thrilled to get RoCo. I wonder if we could get McCollum, for RoCo and Dieng to salary match. Then you could move Simons up to replace McCollum. If not then Simons could be part of the deal. Perhaps Simons, somebody to match salary and 2 FRPs.


What's the goal for MIN, win now, or rebuild around their younger players? C.J. only makes sense if win now is the goal, but if winning now is the goal, why trade RoCo?

From POR's standpoint, I don't think they will be shopping either C.J. or Simons anytime soon. They just signed C.J. to a $100 million extension and traded Turner and let Curry walk to clear playing time for Simons. Maybe if Simons is absolutely killing it, they might consider trading C.J. for a player at a position of need (i.e. RoCo) at the deadline.
KGdaBom
Head Coach
Posts: 7,071
And1: 1,468
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1552 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:51 am

BNM wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
BNM wrote:
POR fan here, RoCo is also EXACTLY what the Blazers need. What's the feeling in MIN, will he be available at the trade deadline? After reading a few threads here, he seems well liked and highly thought of. He's also on a very team friendly deal, for a player of his caliber.

He is, however 5 years older than KAT and 4.5 years older than Wiggins. At some point, will the Timberwolves look to possibly movie him for an expiring contract, young player(s) and draft pick(s)?

For POR, matching salaries might be problematic. They have a couple huge expiring contracts (Whiteside at $27 million and Bazermore at $19.2 million). Most of the other guys they would look to trade are making around $2 million, give, or take. Rodney Hood is on a very team friendly contract ($5.7 million this year and player option at $6 million next year), but at almost 27 doesn't fit in timeline wise with a rebuilding effort. However, he could be used to match salaries after 12/15 with the knowledge he'd probably opt out of his contract next year, effectively becoming an expiring contract.

In terms of young guys, Collins and Hardaway are POR's two best young prospects. They moved several veteran players this summer to make room for expanded roles for both, so I doubt if either are on the block (unless as part of a package for a true superstar). POR also has Gary Trent Jr. (20) and Nassir Little (19) both locked up on cheap rookie scale deals. Little is very raw, but an insane athlete with great length and at only 19, he has the potential to be a RoCo type 3 and D player, possibly more. He just doesn't fit POR's win now timeline.

POR also owns all of their future 1st round picks, and with Damian Lillard and C.J. MCCollum entering their primes is firmly in win now territory. So, those draft picks would be available for a player (like Covington) that matches their timeline.

Any possible packages you see that could get RoCo to POR. Any contracts you want to dump? Well, I guess Wiggins, but with POR already committing big bucks to Lillard and McCollum, I doubt that is going to happen. What about Dieng?

If Nurk is back and looking halfway decent by the trade deadline, Whiteside for Dieng and Covington matches salary-wise. POR could even include one, or both of Little and/or Trent Jr. and the salaries still work. Plus, they could throw in a 1st round pick. That gets them out of the final year ($17 .2 million) of Dieng's contract, two very young, very cheap players and a 1st round pick.

Thoughts?

I don't think there is a team in the NBA that wouldn't be Thrilled to get RoCo. I wonder if we could get McCollum, for RoCo and Dieng to salary match. Then you could move Simons up to replace McCollum. If not then Simons could be part of the deal. Perhaps Simons, somebody to match salary and 2 FRPs.


What's the goal for MIN, win now, or rebuild around their younger players? C.J. only makes sense if win now is the goal, but if winning now is the goal, why trade RoCo?

From POR's standpoint, I don't think they will be shopping either C.J. or Simons anytime soon. They just signed C.J. to a $100 million extension and traded Turner and let Curry walk to clear playing time for Simons. Maybe if Simons is absolutely killing it, they might consider trading C.J. for a player at a position of need (i.e. RoCo) at the deadline.

The Goal for Minnesota is win now and win later. RoCo is good for both, but we need a PG more than we need RoCo. What's in it for Portland is IF Simons is good they clear space for him by moving McCollum, Dump McCollums huge contract and get a great player on a ridiculously good contract. The other side is if the Wolves move RoCo for Simons and picks they give up winning now, but they get good prospects for the future.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 42,244
And1: 3,964
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1553 » by shrink » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:02 pm

RealGM just did a Northwest Division podcast that you might enjoy, even though the Wolves aren’t at 5he level of Denver, Utah or Portland. The reason I bring it up here is that I found it interesting to hear how a guy like Iguodala or Covington would be the last missing piece for both the Nuggets and the Blazers (and other teams, since it is so hard to find decent SF’s). The Nuggets have a surplus of good young players, but the Blazers could make a decent offer as well. The upgrade from the current SF to ether player would be massive.
wesleyt95
Pro Prospect
Posts: 781
And1: 194
Joined: Sep 23, 2018
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1554 » by wesleyt95 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:36 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
BNM wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I don't think there is a team in the NBA that wouldn't be Thrilled to get RoCo. I wonder if we could get McCollum, for RoCo and Dieng to salary match. Then you could move Simons up to replace McCollum. If not then Simons could be part of the deal. Perhaps Simons, somebody to match salary and 2 FRPs.


What's the goal for MIN, win now, or rebuild around their younger players? C.J. only makes sense if win now is the goal, but if winning now is the goal, why trade RoCo?

From POR's standpoint, I don't think they will be shopping either C.J. or Simons anytime soon. They just signed C.J. to a $100 million extension and traded Turner and let Curry walk to clear playing time for Simons. Maybe if Simons is absolutely killing it, they might consider trading C.J. for a player at a position of need (i.e. RoCo) at the deadline.

The Goal for Minnesota is win now and win later. RoCo is good for both, but we need a PG more than we need RoCo. What's in it for Portland is IF Simons is good they clear space for him by moving McCollum, Dump McCollums huge contract and get a great player on a ridiculously good contract. The other side is if the Wolves move RoCo for Simons and picks they give up winning now, but they get good prospects for the future.

Smarter to keep RoCo and experiment w/ Culver at the 1 right now to evaluate how that works, Winslow & Simmons did it and it worked maybe it could work for us... We'd be set for at least the next 3 years w/ Teague & Dieng expiring soon, I think Simons is a great prospect but we dont need to risk it all right now
wesleyt95
Pro Prospect
Posts: 781
And1: 194
Joined: Sep 23, 2018
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1555 » by wesleyt95 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:46 pm

Culver DID run point last year and led his team all the way, and made huge strides in a short amount of time from a being a spot up shooter his freshman year. He's only getting better and him running point could change the direction of the franchise QUICKLY
Culver
Okogie
Wiggins
Covington
Towns
thats a well balanced, athletic lineup on offense & defense I'd put on the floor against anyone... Culver just has to show he has the poise to run the offense, and its not like he's shown otherwise
younggunsmn
Analyst
Posts: 3,578
And1: 128
Joined: May 28, 2007
Location: Hiding from the thought police.

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1556 » by younggunsmn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:02 am

BNM wrote:
shrink wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Monte morris is the youngish back up pg id go after.

Could DEN put together a package that would be worth giving up three cheap years of Covington? RoCo is exactly what they need.

I think an offer needs to begin with Morris and Porter Jr.


POR fan here, RoCo is also EXACTLY what the Blazers need. What's the feeling in MIN, will he be available at the trade deadline? After reading a few threads here, he seems well liked and highly thought of. He's also on a very team friendly deal, for a player of his caliber.

He is, however 5 years older than KAT and 4.5 years older than Wiggins. At some point, will the Timberwolves look to possibly movie him for an expiring contract, young player(s) and draft pick(s)?

For POR, matching salaries might be problematic. They have a couple huge expiring contracts (Whiteside at $27 million and Bazermore at $19.2 million). Most of the other guys they would look to trade are making around $2 million, give, or take. Rodney Hood is on a very team friendly contract ($5.7 million this year and player option at $6 million next year), but at almost 27 doesn't fit in timeline wise with a rebuilding effort. However, he could be used to match salaries after 12/15 with the knowledge he'd probably opt out of his contract next year, effectively becoming an expiring contract.

In terms of young guys, Collins and Hardaway are POR's two best young prospects. They moved several veteran players this summer to make room for expanded roles for both, so I doubt if either are on the block (unless as part of a package for a true superstar). POR also has Gary Trent Jr. (20) and Nassir Little (19) both locked up on cheap rookie scale deals. Little is very raw, but an insane athlete with great length and at only 19, he has the potential to be a RoCo type 3 and D player, possibly more. He just doesn't fit POR's win now timeline.

POR also owns all of their future 1st round picks, and with Damian Lillard and C.J. MCCollum entering their primes is firmly in win now territory. So, those draft picks would be available for a player (like Covington) that matches their timeline.

Any possible packages you see that could get RoCo to POR. Any contracts you want to dump? Well, I guess Wiggins, but with POR already committing big bucks to Lillard and McCollum, I doubt that is going to happen. What about Dieng?

If Nurk is back and looking halfway decent by the trade deadline, Whiteside for Dieng and Covington matches salary-wise. POR could even include one, or both of Little and/or Trent Jr. and the salaries still work. Plus, they could throw in a 1st round pick. That gets them out of the final year ($17 .2 million) of Dieng's contract, two very young, very cheap players and a 1st round pick.

Thoughts?


Good post. You have a pretty good handle on things. If Covington is healthy, I don't see us trading him. He just fits the way that we want to play so well. To compound that, trading him to Portland when they already have Lillard/McCollum and Nurkic, basically says we are giving up competing for the division for the next 3 years.

Eating Dieng's contract would definitely help, and Whiteside + SImons + Pick for Dieng/Covington would be tempting. We are in a quandry with Wiggins. The numbers say dump his contract if you get a taker. But we are not in a position to just dump a player with that kind of potential, even as his arrow keeps pointing further down year after year.

I'm not a fan of Little. Simons has potential and Trent is a fringe rotation shooter. First Round picks are going to be in the 20's.
So those are all small assets with some value. But I think Rosas is more in the business of consolidating small assets into one large asset. So for that reason I don't think we are a good match. If we move Covington, I think it will be as a piece for a bigger asset, or because injury or chemistry issues arise.

Us getting into playoff contention is going to depend on a young player or two (Culver, Nowell, Vonleh?) blowing up and our ability to establish an identity. I just don't see us competing without a big upgrade at PG.
Dewey
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,925
And1: 329
Joined: May 22, 2001

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1557 » by Dewey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:39 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:Culver DID run point last year and led his team all the way, and made huge strides in a short amount of time from a being a spot up shooter his freshman year. He's only getting better and him running point could change the direction of the franchise QUICKLY
Culver
Okogie
Wiggins
Covington
Towns
thats a well balanced, athletic lineup on offense & defense I'd put on the floor against anyone... Culver just has to show he has the poise to run the offense, and its not like he's shown otherwise

Best case could be some duty as a combo-guard ... PG prolly not realistic IMO. I see Nowell as more of a combo-guard as well. Neither are elite athletes by any stretch, but they are well balanced when it comes to skills and it will be interesting to see them early on in pre-season. I for one don't need to be dazzled, but becasue we have been mostly soft defensively, I just wanna see these newcomers come onboard with gritty defense and play within themselves on offense.

I like Rosas approach ... "defensive toughness and hard to defend". Keep it simple and let the cream rise to the top.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
wesleyt95
Pro Prospect
Posts: 781
And1: 194
Joined: Sep 23, 2018
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1558 » by wesleyt95 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 am

Dewey wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:Culver DID run point last year and led his team all the way, and made huge strides in a short amount of time from a being a spot up shooter his freshman year. He's only getting better and him running point could change the direction of the franchise QUICKLY
Culver
Okogie
Wiggins
Covington
Towns
thats a well balanced, athletic lineup on offense & defense I'd put on the floor against anyone... Culver just has to show he has the poise to run the offense, and its not like he's shown otherwise

Best case could be some duty as a combo-guard ... PG prolly not realistic IMO. I see Nowell as more of a combo-guard as well. Neither are elite athletes by any stretch, but they are well balanced when it comes to skills and it will be interesting to see them early on in pre-season. I for one don't need to be dazzled, but becasue we have been mostly soft defensively, I just wanna see these newcomers come onboard with gritty defense and play within themselves on offense.

I like Rosas approach ... "defensive toughness and hard to defend". Keep it simple and let the cream rise to the top.

what are u talking about, he IS getting duty as a combo guard. have you not heard what lil Flip and Rosas have been saying??
Dewey
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,925
And1: 329
Joined: May 22, 2001

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1559 » by Dewey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:28 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:Culver DID run point last year and led his team all the way, and made huge strides in a short amount of time from a being a spot up shooter his freshman year. He's only getting better and him running point could change the direction of the franchise QUICKLY
Culver
Okogie
Wiggins
Covington
Towns
thats a well balanced, athletic lineup on offense & defense I'd put on the floor against anyone... Culver just has to show he has the poise to run the offense, and its not like he's shown otherwise

Best case could be some duty as a combo-guard ... PG prolly not realistic IMO. I see Nowell as more of a combo-guard as well. Neither are elite athletes by any stretch, but they are well balanced when it comes to skills and it will be interesting to see them early on in pre-season. I for one don't need to be dazzled, but becasue we have been mostly soft defensively, I just wanna see these newcomers come onboard with gritty defense and play within themselves on offense.

I like Rosas approach ... "defensive toughness and hard to defend". Keep it simple and let the cream rise to the top.

what are u talking about, he IS getting duty as a combo guard. have you not heard what lil Flip and Rosas have been saying??

what you readin?, your trying to put him in as the PG in the above post ... I'm just sayin he's a combo-guard at best. I dont think Flipper or Rosas have any intention to run him as THE PG, but they may run him or pair him as a Combo-Guard. Chill.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
User avatar
minimus
Head Coach
Posts: 6,132
And1: 1,365
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Two) 

Post#1560 » by minimus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:13 am

Read on Twitter


Booker is another KAT buddy. Would you do Wiggins, Okogie, FRP for Booker on 5yrs contracts? I would do it.

KAT/Bell/Dieng
Vonleh/Layman/KBD
RoCo/KBD/Layman
Booker/Culver/Nowell
Culver/Teague/Wallace

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves