Culver at PG?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,938

Re: Culver at PG? 

Post#21 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Doesn't sound like it's in the plans, though I suppose it could be used at times.

Trading Saric though, means the Wolves as currently constructed will have to play a lot smaller in 2019-20. Ryan Saunders has been evaluating lineup combinations all summer long, and there is a belief internally that Covington could be an ideal stretch 4 in the smaller, faster, modern NBA. His ability to shoot the 3 should open things up for Towns in the paint while he can guard anyone on the other end.

“We talked about where we’re at in the NBA now,” Rosas said. “You have four perimeters. Point guard, three wings and a big. That could be a center. That could be a power forward. It’s just the game is played differently now.”

https://theathletic.com/1039358/2019/06/21/inside-the-wolves-wild-night-and-the-process-behind-the-trade-up-for-jarrett-culver/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#22 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:46 pm

PharmD wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:I don't think that's a recipe for success except in a bind. Maybe his versatility allows us to keep 2 PGs on the roster, instead of 3.

Personally, I would like to see him play off the ball more and run off screens a la Klay Thompson. He has a nice, quick compact release and I think he's a much better shooter than his %'s give him credit for because he was handling the ball so much for them.

But he was atrocious as on catch and shoot attempts in college. Seems dubious that can be the basis of an NBA offense.

You're right, and he was pretty bad shooting all around last year after reforming his jump shot. And I'll admit, after further review his release is actually quite slow in off the ball situations. But I still see some untapped the potential there.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#23 » by Killboard » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Note30 wrote:Why don't any of these depth charts account for D Rose

1.he doesnt have a contract
2.he was a negative player last season
3.he can't stay healthy
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,530

Post#24 » by Note30 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:06 pm

Killboard wrote:

3.he can't stay healthy

How was he a negative? Some arbitrary stat?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#25 » by Killboard » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Note30 wrote:
Killboard wrote:

3.he can't stay healthy

RPM, BPM, Net Rating, Pipm, take whichever you want.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#26 » by minimus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Killboard wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Killboard wrote:
3.he can't stay healthy

I'd say he was neutral first part of the season, because despite his heroics development of young players was lacking. Second part of the season he was negative.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#27 » by Jedzz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:03 pm

Killboard wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Killboard wrote:
3.he can't stay healthy

Oh yes and Tyus' stats had us winning 68 games.

Take away all of Rose's scoring last season and tell me what the record would have been. Some would be happy because we would have been drafting top3 without a trade up.

Here is what I'll miss. The enjoyment of watching a pro skilled player do things others simply can't, or in a way that nobody else really does it. What are there, maybe 6-8 players in the league that are truly gifted and unique enough that they can really put on a show worth watching all on their own. I put Rose's perfection 50pt game at the top of my list of Wolves games I've ever enjoyed or seen. He displayed more purely honed basketball skills and BBIQ in that game than I've seen from hundreds of prior Wolves players ever. So what he can't get his armpits up to the rim anymore. SFW So what he isn't going to make it 82 games a season. SFW How many do? Nobody is talking about maxing him but he's better then most collecting checks. I understand if he's gone. Doesn't mean we have to like it.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#28 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:29 am

Jedzz wrote:
Killboard wrote:
Note30 wrote:

Oh yes and Tyus' stats had us winning 68 games.

Take away all of Rose's scoring last season and tell me what the record would have been. Some would be happy because we would have been drafting top3 without a trade up.

Here is what I'll miss. The enjoyment of watching a pro skilled player do things others simply can't, or in a way that nobody else really does it. What are there, maybe 6-8 players in the league that are truly gifted and unique enough that they can really put on a show worth watching all on their own. I put Rose's perfection 50pt game at the top of my list of Wolves games I've ever enjoyed or seen. He displayed more purely honed basketball skills and BBIQ in that game than I've seen from hundreds of prior Wolves players ever. So what he can't get his armpits up to the rim anymore. SFW So what he isn't going to make it 82 games a season. SFW How many do? Nobody is talking about maxing him but he's better then most collecting checks. I understand if he's gone. Doesn't mean we have to like it.

For whatever reason the Wolves were better when Rose was off the court then when he was on. I agree with you on your points Jedzz. Single favorite games in Wolves history. KG game seven vs Sacramento. Shabazz single handedly destroying the Warriors, and Rose's 50 point effort with game winning shot. Love had something like a 30/20 or better game with game winning shot as honorable mention.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves