ImageImageImage

The Jarrett Culver Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#321 » by wesleyt95 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:10 pm

Wiggins is in the sunken place and even Okogie (as energetic is he is) isn't the type to punk anyone... the team needs an engine
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#322 » by Jedzz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:12 points on 3-10 FGs 1-3 from Three (Bucks)
13 points on 6-15 FGs 1-5 from Three
24 points on 10-22 FGs 4-9 from Three
18 points on 6-16 FGs 4-12 from Three
29 points on 10-14 FG 6-8 from Three

Those are good percentages from White. One off game, also against Bucks, with 1 of 3 from three. Maybe a bit streaky from Three. Had the two bad games shooting threes.

Culver on the other hand.

11 points on 5-8. 0-2 from Three
17 points on 6-18. 4-8 from Three
11 points on 5-9. 1-5 from Three
15 points on 7-14. 0-3 from Three
8 points on 2-12. 2-7 from Three (Bucks)

Good percentage from 2, only one game from Three. The rest show a lessor propensity to shoot threes and make them.

Preseason smeashin. The only thing to be learned from here really is that the Bucks will smash all again this year.

More to the game than 3 point shooting. Little things like defense (blocks, steals, contesting shots), rebounding, assists. I will grant that White could be a better scorer than Culver.

Yeah we can focus on all those other things like we usually do, and usually don't get. So if Culver brings everything else that's great. Efficiency shooting is a big deal though as there is only so many possessions to spread around. If you are getting the chance to finish 10-20 possessions you are a big part of the offensive and you are keeping someone else from finishing that many.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#323 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:58 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:Better than your beloved Covingtons rookie preseason

So every rookie that has a mediocre preseason will end up being as good or better than Covington?

Not every rookie, but a trade for 2 prospects is worth the gamble. Also Covington is a good defender but I think we could benefit from someone tougher leading the defense... we need a bulldog like a Draymond, Beverly type. Our team has no heart because it definitely isn't going to come from Towns (as talented as he is)

If you're talking high level prospects maybe. Top 10 guys who are not proven busts yet. Say Deandre Hunter and Cameron Reddish or Hayes and NAW.
Covington is NOT a good defender. He's a GREAT defender. Possibly the best in the NBA.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#324 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Those are good percentages from White. One off game, also against Bucks, with 1 of 3 from three. Maybe a bit streaky from Three. Had the two bad games shooting threes.

Culver on the other hand.

11 points on 5-8. 0-2 from Three
17 points on 6-18. 4-8 from Three
11 points on 5-9. 1-5 from Three
15 points on 7-14. 0-3 from Three
8 points on 2-12. 2-7 from Three (Bucks)

Good percentage from 2, only one game from Three. The rest show a lessor propensity to shoot threes and make them.

Preseason smeashin. The only thing to be learned from here really is that the Bucks will smash all again this year.

More to the game than 3 point shooting. Little things like defense (blocks, steals, contesting shots), rebounding, assists. I will grant that White could be a better scorer than Culver.

Yeah we can focus on all those other things like we usually do, and usually don't get. So if Culver brings everything else that's great. Efficiency shooting is a big deal though as there is only so many possessions to spread around. If you are getting the chance to finish 10-20 possessions you are a big part of the offensive and you are keeping someone else from finishing that many.

Of course Culver needs to be an efficient scorer. If he isn't all those other things won't mean much.
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#325 » by wesleyt95 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:43 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:So every rookie that has a mediocre preseason will end up being as good or better than Covington?

Not every rookie, but a trade for 2 prospects is worth the gamble. Also Covington is a good defender but I think we could benefit from someone tougher leading the defense... we need a bulldog like a Draymond, Beverly type. Our team has no heart because it definitely isn't going to come from Towns (as talented as he is)

If you're talking high level prospects maybe. Top 10 guys who are not proven busts yet. Say Deandre Hunter and Cameron Reddish or Hayes and NAW.
Covington is NOT a good defender. He's a GREAT defender. Possibly the best in the NBA.

Idc where they were drafted, Jokic and Giannis weren't top 10 I just need to know they have potential to be above average starters (at least)... and you're out of you're mind if u think we'd get that haul from ATL right now; Anfernee Simon's & Nassir Little is more realistic and nearly as much potential
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#326 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:08 am

KGdaBom wrote:More to the game than 3 point shooting. Little things like defense (blocks, steals, contesting shots), rebounding, assists. I will grant that White could be a better scorer than Culver.

Speaking of other things players can chip in with. Here are some of those things each of these guys did in Bucks game.

Pat Connaughton (Bucks Vet)
0 OReb, 4 DReb, 1 assists, 0 steals, 1 block, +12, only 8 pts on 4 FG and 4 FT shots

Donte Dvideo (Bucks 2nd year):
3 OReb, 3 DReb, 5 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, +17, only 6 pts on 8 FG shots

Josh Okogie (2nd year):
1 OReb, 5 DReb, 1 assists, 1 steals, 1 block, -19, only 4 pts on 5 FG and 4 FT shots

Kelan Martin:
0 OReb, 0 DReb, 2 assists, 0 steals, 0 block, -23, 13 pts on 12 FG and 2 FT shots

Culver (Rook)
1 OReb, 1 DReb, 0 assists, 1 steals, 0 block, -18, only 8 pts on 12 FG and 4 FT shots

I wish this team could trade with Bucks for Pat Connaughton (age 26). He would breath consistent pro ball into the wings of this team and give our youngest a pro to mirror their game and preperation after a bit. Clutch time shooter.

If Donte Dvideo remembers how to hit a 3 this season he should have an improved year. vast game instincts player.

I keep trying to hold back my expectations for the rooks in thier first year. Culver especially if they are going to try and get him to run the offense already it's going to be a tall order. We'll see if he's up to it. I feel more demanding of Okogie to calm down and even out his play some being in his second year. Difficult to ask a player to at the same time reel himself in with better control and still put forth the same energy but some how he needs to do both.

Looking at how the Bucks feed their big scorers as forwards and bigs I start to wonder if that's what the Wolves need more of. Or maybe that's what we've tried and just haven't had the guards/wings capable of it. Wiggins hasn't been assiting as he is too wrapped up in trying to be the scorer people expected. Okogie has been so wild yet. When paired with another PG or Culver, maybe Napier can be that help. But we also might need him scoring. I look at some of the east teams and see a resurgence of the large forwards and bigs only that they score a lot. Bell, we need you, and we need guards to feed players like him and Covington, Vonleh, Kat, Reid. Shooting guards doing all those little extra things.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#327 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:16 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:Not every rookie, but a trade for 2 prospects is worth the gamble. Also Covington is a good defender but I think we could benefit from someone tougher leading the defense... we need a bulldog like a Draymond, Beverly type. Our team has no heart because it definitely isn't going to come from Towns (as talented as he is)

Idc where they were drafted, Jokic and Giannis weren't top 10 I just need to know they have potential to be above average starters (at least)... and you're out of you're mind if u think we'd get that haul from ATL right now; Anfernee Simon's & Nassir Little is more realistic and nearly as much potential

Out of my mind of not that is what it would take. Simons and Little you got to be joking. That is why I say you are willing to give him away for a roll of used Toilet Paper. One guy who won't even be in the rotation and another who will struggle to get 20 minutes.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#328 » by minimus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:16 pm

After watching today LAC vs LAL and TOR vs NOP. In particular Kawhi, LeBron and VanVleet. I am impressed by their ability to control tempo. I mean they operate within their tempo but they read defense and adjust. It is a big area of improvement for us, and I hope that Culver will grow in this role. He seems to have enough IQ, heart and skills to be successful as decision maker.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#329 » by Jedzz » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:04 pm

minimus wrote:After watching today LAC vs LAL and TOR vs NOP. In particular Kawhi, LeBron and VanVleet. I am impressed by their ability to control tempo. I mean they operate within their tempo but they read defense and adjust. It is a big area of improvement for us, and I hope that Culver will grow in this role. He seems to have enough IQ, heart and skills to be successful as decision maker.

He's a rook. Those guys are all well tested vet players at this point. I don't expect much for a while. I'll be happy if we see hints of it.
minimus
RealGM

Post#330 » by minimus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:07 pm

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:After watching today LAC vs LAL and TOR vs NOP. In particular Kawhi, LeBron and VanVleet. I am impressed by their ability to control tempo. I mean they operate within their tempo but they read defense and adjust. It is a big area of improvement for us, and I hope that Culver will grow in this role. He seems to have enough IQ, heart and skills to be successful as decision maker.

He's a rook. Those guys are all well tested vet players at this point. I don't expect much for a while. I'll be happy if we see hints of it.

Yes, you are right, it also related to experience. VanVleet is only 25 yrs old though, he is such a smart player.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#331 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 am

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Yes, you are right, it also related to experience. VanVleet is only 25 yrs old though, he is such a smart player.
He is, and he's got great control over what looks wild at times. Would play great in a Wolves jersey.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 570

Post#332 » by TwolvesFanRome » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:24 am

Maybe I am going to be dumb...but 2 games and my ghosts grow up...

Coby White another great night: 25 - 6 - 2 with 4/8 3s and 10/16FG :roll:
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#333 » by Neeva » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:57 am

The way white and hachimura are looking is pissing me off come on culver jesus!
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#334 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:01 am

I'm sensing some KAHN!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#335 » by TheProdigy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:25 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:I'm sensing some KAHN!

He does have a great personality and look at that smile!
minimus
RealGM

Post#336 » by minimus » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:29 am

Jarrett needs to learn how to finish with floaters or by using short off the table runners. Once he can finish over NBA bigmen he will be unstoppable because unlike Wiggins he has knack for finding open lanes, he also is able to beat his defender with dribbling
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#337 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:33 am

#culture.
DaKidKG wrote:
Rookie-Mistake wrote:I'm sensing some KAHN!

He does have a great personality and look at that smile!

packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#338 » by packforfreedom » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:02 pm

Kid is overwhelmed right now. He will adjust a bit, but he was pretty invisible so far. If he stays like this for the next games, maybe he needs some time in G League to get back some confidence.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#339 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Who gives a **** about other teams rookies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#340 » by Killboard » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:00 pm

Culver is at his best when initiating with the ball in his hands. Specially because the third unit he plays with does not have a better initiator than him. He also will develop chimestry in the two man game as the season progresses. He is too talented to not figure it out.
But is going to take some time and its OK.

The team is winning, Layman, Okogie and Graham are playing well. He just need keep grinding and perfecting his shooting and craft.

He also seems to be a very good defender off the gate. That cant be said for much of this crop.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves