ImageImageImage

The Jarrett Culver Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#41 » by TheProdigy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Worm Guts wrote:One thing you see on the draft board is that people seem to perceive him as a pretty average athlete. Obviously a 45 inch vertical doesn’t fit with that but I usually don’t put a ton of stock in athletic testing.

I would consider him an above average athlete. Good length, strength, agility, quickness, speed, and balance. That being said, there is no way he's jumping 45 inches in that picture. Private testing numbers always seem to be inflated compared to combine numbers. I highly doubt his agent would have recommended he skip combine testing if he was able to jump 45 inches.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#42 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:22 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:One thing you see on the draft board is that people seem to perceive him as a pretty average athlete. Obviously a 45 inch vertical doesn’t fit with that but I usually don’t put a ton of stock in athletic testing.

I would consider him an above average athlete. Good length, strength, agility, quickness, speed, and balance. That being said, there is no way he's jumping 45 inches in that picture. Private testing numbers always seem to be inflated compared to combine numbers. I highly doubt his agent would have recommended he skip combine testing if he was able to jump 45 inches.

They used the same testing device used at the combine. If he didn't do 45" then the Lakers staff are flat out lying. Why would they do that. You are just desperately reaching for some way to discredit Culver.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#43 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:24 pm

I haven't been hearing average athlete. I've been hearing good, but not great athlete.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#44 » by TheProdigy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:32 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:

They used the same testing device used at the combine. If he didn't do 45" then the Lakers staff are flat out lying. Why would they do that. You are just desperately reaching for some way to discredit Culver.

Why would i be trying to discredit him? That's absurd and you should know better. We need him to become a superstar. I'm just trying to look at it objectively without bias towards our guys.

Do me a favor, look at that picture again. His feet are about half way up the guy that is standing there. 45 × 2 = 90. Does that guy look like he is 7'6? Is he the same height as Yao Ming?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#45 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:42 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:I would consider him an above average athlete. Good length, strength, agility, quickness, speed, and balance. That being said, there is no way he's jumping 45 inches in that picture. Private testing numbers always seem to be inflated compared to combine numbers. I highly doubt his agent would have recommended he skip combine testing if he was able to jump 45 inches.

Why would i be trying to discredit him? That's absurd and you should know better. We need him to become a superstar. I'm just trying to look at it objectively without bias towards our guys.

Do me a favor, look at that picture again. His feet are about half way up the guy that is standing there. 45 × 2 = 90. Does that guy look like he is 7'6? Is he the same height as Yao Ming?

Pictures can be distorted and give false information. The device cant. To move the sticks or whatever they are he has to touch them. The stick gives the total height above that was struck. The device is objective. I don't need Culver to be a superstar. I hope he is, but I also understand he has a chance to bust. Whatever the device measures is a fact.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#46 » by TheProdigy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:01 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:They used the same testing device used at the combine. If he didn't do 45" then the Lakers staff are flat out lying. Why would they do that. You are just desperately reaching for some way to discredit Culver.

Pictures can be distorted and give false information. The device cant. To move the sticks or whatever they are he has to touch them. The stick gives the total height above that was struck. The device is objective. I don't need Culver to be a superstar. I hope he is, but I also understand he has a chance to bust. Whatever the device measures is a fact.

I can't read the measurements from the picture, can you? If not, how can you say that is conclusive evidence that he hit 45? Because a high school coach from Texas said so? LMAO
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#47 » by Klomp » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:08 pm

DaKidKG wrote:I can't read the measurements from the picture, can you? If not, how can you say that is conclusive evidence that he hit 45? Because a high school coach from Texas said so? LMAO

How can you say anything is conclusive evidence if you can't read the measurements? All the NBA combine verticals are probably lies too. After all, can you read what they hit to verify it?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#48 » by CP1981 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:11 pm

I wouldn't put too much stock in those vertical numbers. There are guys who test well athletically but you never see it in game

That's like guys who run a 4.3 at the NFL combine but you never see that speed in real games

I think Josh Smith had a pretty solid vertical measuring but nothing spectacular. But his first few years in the league there weren't too many guys jumping as high as he was. Dude was so explosive. I have to look it up but I think Kevin Love even had a higher measured vertical than Josh Smith

I see some Joe Johnson in Culver. He's not the shooter Joe was but as far as his ability to handle the rock and initiate offense. Joe was a little bigger but and a better shooter but I see 'some' Joe in his game
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#49 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 pm

Klomp wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:I can't read the measurements from the picture, can you? If not, how can you say that is conclusive evidence that he hit 45? Because a high school coach from Texas said so? LMAO

How can you say anything is conclusive evidence if you can't read the measurements? All the NBA combine verticals are probably lies too. After all, can you read what they hit to verify it?

DaKidKG that is what was reported. I have no reason to not believe it. I also believe man did walk on the moon.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#50 » by TheProdigy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Klomp wrote:

Perhaps the combine measurements with all teams present is a little bit more credible than a high school coach from Texas?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#51 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:16 pm

CP1981 wrote:I wouldn't put too much stock in those vertical numbers. There are guys who test well athletically but you never see it in game

That's like guys who run a 4.3 at the NFL combine but you never see that speed in real games

I think Josh Smith had a pretty solid vertical measuring but nothing spectacular. But his first few years in the league there weren't too many guys jumping as high as he was. Dude was so explosive. I have to look it up but I think Kevin Love even had a higher measured vertical than Josh Smith

I see some Joe Johnson in Culver. He's not the shooter Joe was but as far as his ability to handle the rock and initiate offense. Joe was a little bigger but and a better shooter but I see 'some' Joe in his game

if he could shoot like Joe that would be awesome, but he can't. He is likely to play far superior D,
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#52 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:20 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Perhaps the combine measurements with all teams present is a little bit more credible than a high school coach from Texas?

My understanding is the report was from Lakers staff. Maybe they were paid to lie to raise Culvers value. I would think not.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#53 » by TheProdigy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:21 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:
Klomp wrote:How can you say anything is conclusive evidence if you can't read the measurements? All the NBA combine verticals are probably lies too. After all, can you read what they hit to verify it?

My understanding is the report was from Lakers staff. Maybe they were paid to lie to raise Culvers value. I would think not.

Could you please share this report that came from Lakers staff? I've tried but I can't find it. All I can find is a tweet from a Texas High School coach.
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#54 » by CP1981 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:22 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
CP1981 wrote:I wouldn't put too much stock in those vertical numbers. There are guys who test well athletically but you never see it in game

if he could shoot like Joe that would be awesome, but he can't. He is likely to play far superior D,

Yea if he could shoot he would have went top 3
Joe could defend when he wanted to. But man Woodson used to have Joe playing so many minutes and doing so much for our team that he kinda paced himself on the defensive end at times just to preserve energy
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#55 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:25 pm

I wouldn't put too much stock in them either. I would put the appropriate amount of stock. I found this on Google Josh Smith had the highest vertical of any lottery prospect at a whopping 39.5 inches.. Players that test better off the court are more likely to do well on the court with a few exceptions.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#56 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:30 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:Perhaps the combine measurements with all teams present is a little bit more credible than a high school coach from Texas?

Could you please share this report that came from Lakers staff? I've tried but I can't find it. All I can find is a tweet from a Texas High School coach.

It was from a Lakers workout. It was reported by multiple Lakers media. That's what I got. If it was only reported by a Texas HS coach I would still believe it unless it was denied by Lakers staff.
TheProdigy
Starter

Post#57 » by TheProdigy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:39 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:My understanding is the report was from Lakers staff. Maybe they were paid to lie to raise Culvers value. I would think not.

It was from a Lakers workout. It was reported by multiple Lakers media. That's what I got. If it was only reported by a Texas HS coach I would believe it unless it was denied by Lakers staff.

Seems like the source of the 45 inch story is the high school coach, and the Lakers media you referred to were just quoting the coach's tweet. Sorry I'll trust my eyes and judgment over that.

I hope you're right though. Would be pretty cool if we had a guy that had more ups than Vince Carter or Zach LaVine.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#58 » by Klomp » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:55 pm

DaKidKG wrote:I hope you're right though. Would be pretty cool if we had a guy that had more ups than Vince Carter or Zach LaVine.

Last I checked, 45 is less than 46.

For all the question marks that follow him as he treks his way through pre-draft workouts, UCLA freshman guard Zach LaVine strongly showcased something that has become awfully familiar.

The guy can jump. Very high. So high that he set a Lakers pre-draft workout record on Wednesday with a 46-inch vertical jump.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2014/06/04/nba-draft-zach-lavine-sets-lakers-workout-record-with-46-inch-vertical/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#59 » by minimus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:56 pm

More I watch his workout/highlights more I like his skills set.

1) I am very surprised that even with that jumping ability he relies on his ballhandling and body control to score. I like that he uses more his agility and quickness.

2) his body is still growing and he does not have a strong upper and lower body yet. I am thrilled to see what he can do once his body matures. And I have high hopes that he will develop Butler like body because he has thick, strong legs.

3) his shoot is not pretty, is not consistent. But it is fixable. Better footwork, better timing and repetition will make him an average shooter.

4) it is hard to evaluate his individual defense. But he has all tools to become a serviceable team defender within a smart defensive scheme. He can switch between 1-2-3. I can't see him a lockdown defender, more like Danny Green type.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#60 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:01 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:Could you please share this report that came from Lakers staff? I've tried but I can't find it. All I can find is a tweet from a Texas High School coach.

It was from a Lakers workout. It was reported by multiple Lakers media. That's what I got. If it was only reported by a Texas HS coach I would believe it unless it was denied by Lakers staff.

Seems like the source of the 45 inch story is the high school coach, and the Lakers media you referred to were just quoting the coach's tweet. Sorry I'll trust my eyes and judgment over that.

I hope you're right though. Would be pretty cool if we had a guy that had more ups than Vince Carter or Zach LaVine.

My eyes sure made it look like 45 inches, but the photos can distort. I will trust the vertical leap device measurement as reported by the coach as long as it wasn't a college coach because they are the ones with the least integrity. If it was a false report I think somebody who was there would have denied it. According to the article I read this places Culver 3rd behind LaVine and DSJ. It's your right to think it's all lies.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves